PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 06:17:19

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Reduce Demand! Download from Free Sites Instead!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Reduce Demand! Download from Free Sites Instead!  (Read 36699 times)
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
Reduce Demand! Download from Free Sites Instead!
« Reply #60 on: 2008 January 10, 20:33:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm glad we're only looking at trying to help each other out and raise awareness of free sites here, if it went into the "what meshes do you have on your site" territory again like it did at the height of the free site debate, I'd break out in a cold sweat. :lol:

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
millahnna
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: 2008 January 12, 23:18:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "WonderRik"
...there should be someplace where you take the pay hairs and then show free hairs of a similar style...along with links and a quality report...

Along similar lines; I once thought of a review site for Sims content because I have some weird review writing brain thing that thinks that sort of thing is fun.  In the end I ditched the idea because I would flake on it inside of a month if I did it solo (it would be a great group project though).  Then I went to play Neverwinter Nights fan mods for three years and forgot about the issue entirely.  

The basic concept was to post site/content reviews in blog format and link to alternatives when appropriate.  And of course now that I've found the booty since my return to the game, to link to it for an individual paysite/modder when it was decided that their material was actually quality, even though it was paid.  Reviews from readers would be fine barring obvious writing issues.  

Sites like Simgeodoehns2 or Sims2Play, could be knocked out with a single post reviewing the site on the whole or tackled over the course of a week with category/set reviews.  Larger sites such as TSR I figured could be more of a by request after hitting popular modders first.  

For download junkies like myself, one helpful feature could a be a file count for big site/modder reviews.  Say you just hit TSR to grab all of MelandStv's free color pack downloads and the StudioK line of walls and floors.  If that's all that's in your downloads folder you'll thousands of files to start with.  But after purging garish/would never use it colors, tile sets that that hurt your eyes with the camera pulled too far back, wooden floors and carpets that I have better looking versions off, incomplete wall sets (edge options available for one color but not the others), I was down to a few hundred.  Easy way to give readers an idea of how much on a paysite is actually worth it, plenty of room to note the subjective like color choices and types of detail, and if you don't know a free option for the stuff you though was almost okay, odds are a reader does and might submit a review of their own or link to other content in a comment.  

But the one thing I recall being insistent on in my brain was to always refer to people as modders and not creators.  This is not intended to slam those folks, paysite or otherwise, who do create lovely meshes and textures, so much as to remind them that they are modifying existent code not creating from scratch.  It's the normal terminology in all other games that I play.  

In any case I still like the idea and if a few people wanted to get together and start a blogspotty type of thing, I'd happily contribute as I'm perpetually in the midst of going through downloads.  I wouldn't start it myself because I hate being in charge and need an editor to make me cut down on the verbage (obviously).  

Just thought I'd toss the idea out there.

"I always look like a heart floating in a jar of formaldehyde when I go swimming. Always. I make a point of it. Doesn't everybody?"  -- HeyBubbe
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2008 January 13, 00:16:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It sounds interesting, but the thing is everyone has different tastes so I guess if you go from the perspective of QUALITY, like mentioned, does it look weird from far away?, does it bleed?, does it not follow the object guidelines (for example, for a wood floor does the sim actually osund like its on wood flooring)?

However this is a HUGE TASK. With new stuff coming out everyday, the idea is fine but too big a concept to truly tackle.

Unless you have an idea to do so?  Cool

I mean I might help out, I don't know yet.
My simming days are kinda limited these days HOWEVER.. I really want to start to learn how to make a site, so I might be persuaded  :lol:

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2008 January 13, 00:31:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "millahnna"
Along similar lines; I once thought of a review site for Sims content because I have some weird review writing brain thing that thinks that sort of thing is fun.

Problem is that you are "not allowed" to critique free sites because they are free.  Even if it wasn't frowned upon, you'd be facing a community that has trouble taking critique and giving critique for the most part.  

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it.. just be prepared for the drama and tears that may come from it because you dissed a painting someone made in two minutes of a copyright artwork through the use of SimPE templates but somehow he/she worked "oh so hard on it."

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
millahnna
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: 2008 January 14, 00:02:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought of the subjective tastes issue, and it's something I think could be fairly easily addressed in one (or more) of a few basic ways; multiple reviewers on some projects (i.e. three different perspectives), a reviewer noting their own tastes (I tend to delete most bright yellows and hot pinks myself but someone else might like them), reader submitted reviews of content and/or assigning people based on interest.  

Originally I had thought to critique free content but I figure with all the hoopla it would be easier and more productive to the "cause" to review pay content, and point out alternatives, particularly when the pay content has quality issues like the hair gaps (some of this would be subjective also, such as shininess of skins).   But even when a reviewer finds high quality pay content, they could still suggest free alternatives for my fellow poor peeps.  That way instead of criticizing people who are making free content, even though it's not high quality, you're simply pointing people to the good free content.  People with pay content would still get miffed but I dont' really care what they think anyway.  

"This set from Simsdeoghens (or however you spell their name, great furniture) is awesome but you might check _______ since they have a similar set that's free.  If you can't live without it, there's always the booty."  Imagine links where appropriate (seriously anyone know a free alternative to them, I'm hooked on their room sets).  

Half of what started the idea for me was downloading a bunch of stuff from some site and finding that their images were heavily edited and the objects were not as nice in game.  It's something I've noticed more since finding the booty and of course I'm not the first to notice.  

In the end though, it IS a really massive project and something I think would be easier to start at the beginning of a game instead of here near the end of a game's main releases.  Maybe I'll hold onto it until Sims 3 comes out.

"I always look like a heart floating in a jar of formaldehyde when I go swimming. Always. I make a point of it. Doesn't everybody?"  -- HeyBubbe
SparklePlenty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: 2008 January 14, 04:34:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're right, it would be a massive project, and it is hard to care enough right now to tackle something like what you describe.

I have always thought that a site where people could bring a pay item to you and you could tell them where to get a similar free item instead. But then I thought, some people will use the site to locate pay items so they could buy them. How would you know which pay items are sought-after? There are always cons to any pro you come up with. Besides, the Booty serves a similar purpose...providing a place to actually get the pay items for free. And besides, there are plenty of sites offering lists and directories of free content. So no need to invent the wheel again.

Still watching you guys
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: 2008 January 14, 14:02:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "SparklePlenty"
So no need to invent the wheel again.

That was never our intent; we know there are good lists of free sites; we were simply hoping to list content types of some of the more popular paysites and offer better alternatives. That's the one thing that's missing from all the lists.

I don't think it has to be an All-Knowing or Complete list; but it helps to have better, free alternatives to craptastic sites that people seem to love (peggy, simslice, simfreaks).

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
susim
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2008 January 14, 17:11:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Saraswati"
I'm glad we're only looking at trying to help each other out and raise awareness of free sites here, if it went into the "what meshes do you have on your site" territory again like it did at the height of the free site debate, I'd break out in a cold sweat. :lol:

I wonder why you bring that up here.
 I STILL believe that using "free" meshes from paysites is in fact promoting those paysites.

*swigs rum, passes bottle, and goes to make popcorn*
millahnna
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: 2008 January 14, 17:22:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "susim"
 I STILL believe that using "free" meshes from paysites is in fact promoting those paysites.

I've been wondering about that.  I mean I guess with the modders who have all their stuff free (there's a few on TSR who used to also post on MTS2...did TSR chage policies and make that not OK anymore) it's not AS big of a deal.  But look at those Murano wall and floor mirrors, for example.  Damned near everyone uses them in preview shots of their own content, even on free sites like MTS, which just advertises their existence on TSR, where only the two basic files are free.  

I've been in gaming communities off and on for years, and we are all a nutty bunch, no doubt.  But the Sims 2 community really takes the cake (which is both good and bad).  FOn the upside, it's always entertaining to run into another Simmer in another game... we get to talk smack about the paysite debacle (generally an embarrassment to anyone who is involved in other game communities than this one).  Had a great chat on some NWN and "The Movies" forums about this not too long ago.  The folks who hadn't heard about the debate were appalled a modder would charge for their mods.  Good times.

neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2008 January 15, 02:48:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "millahnna"

But the one thing I recall being insistent on in my brain was to always refer to people as modders and not creators.  This is not intended to slam those folks, paysite or otherwise, who do create lovely meshes and textures, so much as to remind them that they are modifying existent code not creating from scratch.  It's the normal terminology in all other games that I play.  

That's an excellent idea.

Other modding communities also have rating scales on their big central sites, whereas here it seems to be thanks or nothing. Except for the Exchange :roll:. I would love, love, love for this community to become more like other gaming communities in how it deals with mods and modders. I still have hopes for Spore changing some things, if the damn game ever comes out.

calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: 2008 January 15, 06:03:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think it's helpful to put pressure on free creators to do things over again, and certainly not helpful to assess a site on this.  Particularly as some creators started ages ago, doing things.  For example, I downloaded the shiny floors back when teko stuff was on simbella for free - just cause they are pay now doesn't mean that I downloaded them now - and so this could explain why "pay content" is shown on freesites.  Nor do I think it helpful to rehash ideas that put freesite owners off.  

Personal feelings are just that - personal - not to be judged in an arbitrary manner by those who set themselves up as arbitrators.

*Point of note - you will find no pay content on my site, except the stuff I paid for from EA - just to save you all checking.  Cheesy

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2008 January 15, 08:34:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*swigs rum, passes bottle, and goes to make popcorn*

*takes swig* Sue, I actually agree with you on this.. which is why none of my new stuff uses meshes from a paysite even if it's free. But like Calaily says, reinventing the wheel is painful and it's easy enough to just let that old stuff get buiried as you make new stuff. Very few people go ten items back into something, they're usually not that patient.

Sitting there warming up old content kills the fun of the hobby for me.

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
i saw drones
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: 2008 January 15, 09:39:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i've had an idea
i'm in the process of making a (probably monthly, gives me time to scour for new content) catalogue of sorts (the kind you might recieve from a furniture store/department store etc) of beautiful free/maxis content.
there is such a huge amount of free custom content available and so much of it is gorgeous, and people just don't get to see it or dismiss it as being rubbish (because it's free!).
i had this idea in the shower (lol) to make something that was visually great to show people that FREE content doesn't have to mean SHIT content. (because i know that a lot of people think this way)
it'd be designed beautifully, and displayed on a website and/or like a downloadable pdf. it would obviously have all the links to everything in the pictures, so the freesites get a looot of love from us all.

does this sound like a good idea or a shit one???

~(.., )~

Free Sims 2 recolours at awesims.sixty-ten.net  |  sixty-ten.net
tIIsuggas
ARR!

Avatar V2.013.6 (alpha) Unsupported.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2008 January 15, 10:41:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "i saw drones"
i've had an idea
i'm in the process of making a (probably monthly, gives me time to scour for new content) catalogue of sorts (the kind you might recieve from a furniture store/department store etc) of beautiful free/maxis content.
there is such a huge amount of free custom content available and so much of it is gorgeous, and people just don't get to see it or dismiss it as being rubbish (because it's free!).
i had this idea in the shower (lol) to make something that was visually great to show people that FREE content doesn't have to mean SHIT content. (because i know that a lot of people think this way)
it'd be designed beautifully, and displayed on a website and/or like a downloadable pdf. it would obviously have all the links to everything in the pictures, so the freesites get a looot of love from us all.

That aint a bad idea.  Great for your first post.

I think the best place to advertise this would be in general discussion on the bbs,  (I wouldn't normally advocate using the bbs but in this case, it is where most of the paysite sheep hang out).

Something like, 'Out now, edition one, free site catalogue, get the best content here'.

"Tomatoes don't hurt" I said with a grin.
The next one did, it came in a tin.

My stuff at  MTS2
SparklePlenty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: 2008 January 15, 14:00:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "tIIsuggas"
Quote from: "i saw drones"
i've had an idea

That aint a bad idea.  Great for your first post.

I think the best place to advertise this would be in general discussion on the bbs,  (I wouldn't normally advocate using the bbs but in this case, it is where most of the paysite sheep hang out).

Something like, 'Out now, edition one, free site catalogue, get the best content here'.

That does sound like fun. It would be great if it was slick and elegant and regularly updated. Sounds like a full time job, actually. I would be available to help on an occassional  basis.

Still watching you guys
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: