PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 13:24:44

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Your personal Anti-Paysite activism?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Your personal Anti-Paysite activism?  (Read 17211 times)
Broomhilda
ARR!

View Profile
Your personal Anti-Paysite activism?
« Reply #15 on: 2007 June 01, 07:38:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was going to add to the booty but my video card had to be replaced and I maxed out my credit card with that and some memory. (for Seasons)Now my computer is having major issues after reinstalling xp and losing absolutely everything I had. I suspect my hard drive is going bad.:cry:
I did sign the petition and got other people to sign.
My printer isn't working so I will print the letter when I go to my friends house.

url=http://www.freewebs.com/moneybetterspent/]Money Better Spent[/url]
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 June 01, 07:57:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

..Every time I see your name, Broomhilda, I think of Eddie Izzard!   :lol:

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
Broomhilda
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 June 01, 08:05:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love him, but I don't get the connection?

url=http://www.freewebs.com/moneybetterspent/]Money Better Spent[/url]
Marhis
ARR!

This Space For Rent

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 June 01, 09:46:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I donate to free sites whenever I can.
I try to give help when I can to whoever support this cause (free sites).
I post my (non-awesome™) mods on MTS2 and MATY with a "do-whatever-you-want" policy.
I generally try to have my actions and overall behavior coherent with my beliefs.

THE FUTURE OF THIS SIGNATURE IS BRIGHT
gmaidekamido
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 June 01, 09:50:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not a whole lot. I plunder the booty anytime I see someone worth having in my game. So that's a grand total of twice.
I also refuse to subscribe to pay sites, have done ever since I got the game and never will, all through a combination of principals, hatred of paysites, being unable to afford paying for game content and being able to get it for free anyway.
pixelated
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 June 01, 09:57:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Spreading the word about the booty, mostly. And arguing with paysite owners, though, that I do for shits and giggles. Nothing makes you happier than arguing with stupid people that refuse to acknowledge the fact that they're wrong. <3
Minolia
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 June 01, 09:59:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've signed the petition and written to EA. I only upload to MTS2 and currently make sure I don't use and advertise pay items in the pictures I use for my uploads. The only point of my ToU is that nothing I made gets uploaded on paysites of any description. Oh and I regularly plunder the booty and have pointed a few innocents in it's direction.
Jojoba
Pirate

Inoodle Concordance

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 June 01, 11:25:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I signed the petitition
I spread word of the petition around
I spread word of the Free the Sims2 writing campaign around
I helped Hecubus, and all the AA private area members, to collect information on the paysites after we heard from EA, and that has all been sent off
I share pay files
I give out the booty link regularly
I only upload to free sites
I encourage creators at TSR to leave
I laugh at paysites and drink rum. ARR!!!

<@Pescado> I would rather eat my own testicles.

Want to donate? Help out? PM Ash, MissB, Dee or Cat!

Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2007 June 01, 13:52:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm one of the poster children for the anti-paysite movement.*  Y'all know what I've done...do I have to spell it out?

(*Because Pescado wouldn't sit still for the picture, that's why!)

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
Lilyroseisapirate
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 June 01, 14:06:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

-i've donated to insim and mts2 (i am sure my money went in to buy some teenage girl a web cam, lol)
-i've shared pay files to ALL my sim friends before i discovered the booty
-posted snide and nasty messages on pay sites forum, just discrete enough not to get my ass banned so i continue my "hobby"
-gotten called out by "sim masters" and "maxoids" for mentioning the booty
-wrote a letter to EA
-did not sign the petition because i ACTUALLY agreed with pescado on that
-put a link to the booty in my siggy on my other sites that i frequent, i do it under weird names that way no one can tell it's to the booty, so the occasional curious cat gets linked here
-put a bog ol' pirate lovin link in my siggy at sims 2 community since were are "cool" with them

btw- hecubus, please PM me with a site that is not covered yet, i would like to donate while i have a little extra money

quot;In Soviet Russia, you do not steal content, content steals YOU!\" <br />                             -Pescado
iamcoolerthanyou
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 2007 June 01, 15:07:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I have.. errr...

- Plundered the booty
- Told some people who wanted pay site stuff about the booty
- Posted here: http://www.forums.boolprop.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14190&start=0

(they're talking bout the booty by the way Wink )

- Never had a subscription from a pay site and never will
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: 2007 June 01, 15:44:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Denimjo is one of 'us'. In fact, I have her self-sim in my game...getting ready to torment her with an elder fiance!

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
Granuaile
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2007 June 01, 15:52:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sorry to say I haven't done much either.  The only things I've done so far are:

1.  Hold "booty parties" - there were some classmates who wanted stuff from paysites a couple of months ago (but whose parents are against file-sharing), so I invited them over to our house, gave them each a blank CD-R and directed them to the booty (where they downloaded to their hearts' content).  Needless to say, they no longer have any interest in buying subscriptions or "donating" to panhandling (pay) sites.  :twisted:

2.  Emailed my family and friends with links to the booty and to the front page of PMBD so that they could read Pescado's message.

3.  Signed Nouk's petition.

4.  Wrote a letter to EA for Hecubus' campaign.

5.  PM'ed some people at a couple of forums, giving out the links to PMBD and the booty.

6.  Try to write encouraging messages in the guestbooks of free sites, and  I press the "thanks" button religiously at MTS2.

7.  Directed people to Nouk's site (so that they could read what EA had said and to download good, free hair) and to her screenie that verified that  EA did indeed respond to her.

I would really like to do much more to help the cause, and when our financial situation improves, I'd like to buy a couple of subscriptions so that I can download the stuff and pass them to whoever would put them in the booty.

ETA #7
Lorelei
ARR!

I'm in UR booty, downloading UR payfiles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: 2007 June 01, 17:03:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let's see...

I have, during Sims 1 and Sims 2, paid for one thing, the donation set from 11dots. Was it worth it? Probably not. Why? There was no donation button and I did like the stuff. I think that was less than three bucks US, though.

Have donated to free sites from time to time.

Plundered the booty.

Pointed others to the booty.

Advertised the booty elsewhere.

Put links to the booty wherever I thought to do it (ex.: LiveJournal Interests)

Discussed community brouhahas in various locations

Discussed EA, EA's EULA, paysite v freesite wars, etc. with people who are actually active in the gaming industry, including grad students & professors in the game design major (which isn't my major)

Occasional letter writing during my non-existent spare time

Daily pop-ins to PMBD and MATY, occasional pop-ins to grah and elsewhere

Shared booty links & pay .package files with students I otherwise don't know, and with professors who play or who have kids who play the game

Signed petitions

Copypasta'd petition and/or links elsewhere, with credit given to originators / hosts

Patiently pointed out known legal guidelines and why paysites are, in essence, stealing intellectual property to make a quick buck

Pirate avvies elsewhere

Have shared what little I have created for free (britpoptarts.4shared.com)

Have spoken up in defense of freesite owners, even if the subject was not specifically related to the free v. pay squabbling (most recently, fussed about how downloaders need to chill on the demands and bitching WRT freebies)

Do not strip out pay content when sharing, on purpose

Post screenies with pay content, and make sure to tell the curious how to get it

When helping others with game issues to the best of my limited ability, always mention download organization tools and MATY / PMBD

Shun sites that require buttlicking and/or censor references to paysites: I have no patience for egotism or censorship. It's a farking game, get over yourselves.

Have other interests outside of the Sims 2, thus am not seen as a one-dimensional crank in need of a life

I also occasionally actually play the game.

http://britpoptarts.4shared.com
Celebrity / self Sims, NortWare Begone!, Zork 1-3, variety of MP3s, MATY stuff, more.

I can haz a cult?!einz!!1

What 'gap' is?
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 June 01, 21:15:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1. Every single night, I check a new site on the booty list. I download what I want from the booty, then I go onto the site and download their "free" items I like, to use their bandwidth.

2. Every time TSR promotes a new FA, I leave a PM for everyone who congratulates them mentioning PMBD. How I haven't been banned yet is beyond me.

3. I will write a letter based on the form one, but I want to put my own spin on it.  :wink:

Stuff at MTS2, in my 4shared folder, and MATY/Peasantry

LiveJournal w/ story crap
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: