PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 July 03, 01:25:34

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5286 Members
Latest Member: Flybulle
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  How pathetic am I?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How pathetic am I?  (Read 6108 times)
fionaskye
ARR!

View Profile
How pathetic am I?
« on: 2007 May 26, 04:26:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(That was, by the way, a rhetorical question.  Heh.)

I nearly crapped myself when I saw this wonderfulness!  I have been saving up my "kudos" at TSR so I could get their one day shopping spree thing so I could grab all of SimAddict and Aikea's stuff, but then ... I discovered this bee-you-tea-full piratey site and went bat-shit crazy downloading stuff.  I kid you not - my downloads folder went from > 250MB to well over 1.5GB in a day.  So I'm not pathetic anymore... well, ok, not any more than normal.

So uh...  I had a thought about this whole paysite fiasco.  Well, two thoughts, actually.  First, I'm a programmer and I spend 8+ hours a day writing code.  I would pissed as hell if someone stole code I'd written, played with it, made something craptacular with it and then turned around and sold it.  You bet your ass I'd sue the pants off of them.  Why EA and Maxis aren't more serious about this issue is beyond me.  

Also, I like to paint and draw as a hobby.  I'd go so far as to say I'm a decent artist, but there is no way in hell that I ever charge people money for one of my drawings or paintings.  Why?  It's a bloody hobby!  I think that for the majority of the CC creators out there, it's a hobby as well. Why do certain members of the community think they deserve to have their hobby funded by poor, ignorant, misguided schmoes?  Seriously, if their stuff is good enough for people to buy, they should go to work for companies like EA and help develop games.

Anyway.  That's it.  Thanks for reading my disjointed ramblings.  And thanks for bein' kick-ass pirates!

Pucci
ARR!

View Profile
Re: How pathetic am I?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 May 26, 05:37:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "fionaskye"
I kid you not - my downloads folder went from > 250MB to well over 1.5GB in a day.

If I weren't on dial-up, my first booty visit would've increased the size of my downloads folder by a ridiculous amount as well. However, a lot of the pay things I wanted so badly before turned out to be crap, so I guess I should thank the lame connection I have for not letting me grab too many things I'd end up burninating anyway.
Lorelei
ARR!

I'm in UR booty, downloading UR payfiles.

View Profile WWW
How pathetic am I?
« Reply #2 on: 2007 May 26, 05:37:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Welcome, new pirate chum! ARR!!

*hands over rum*

Spread the word, we be lookin' for new shipmates to shanghai all the time.

(If you think 1.5G is bad, I think mine's nearly 14, and some folks have admitted to more...I'll be using jfade's Compressorizer soon: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,8316.0.html )

http://britpoptarts.4shared.com
Celebrity / self Sims, NortWare Begone!, Zork 1-3, variety of MP3s, MATY stuff, more.

I can haz a cult?!einz!!1

What 'gap' is?
Yaardarm Monkey
ARR!

View Profile
How pathetic am I?
« Reply #3 on: 2007 May 26, 06:02:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

arrrr

welcome aboard ye salty sea dog ye

arrrr
Jojoba
Pirate

Inoodle Concordance

View Profile
Re: How pathetic am I?
« Reply #4 on: 2007 May 26, 11:09:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pucci"
Quote from: "fionaskye"
I kid you not - my downloads folder went from > 250MB to well over 1.5GB in a day.

If I weren't on dial-up, my first booty visit would've increased the size of my downloads folder by a ridiculous amount as well. However, a lot of the pay things I wanted so badly before turned out to be crap, so I guess I should thank the lame connection I have for not letting me grab too many things I'd end up burninating anyway.

Arr mine too went to a ridiculously high amount...and then decreased again as I regularly delete paysite shit - mostly hair, peggysims hair. It looks pretty in the pictures, but if the sim moves GARFUNK there is a gap in its skull...oh nice.

Welcome aboard fionaskye *passes rum* yarr!

<@Pescado> I would rather eat my own testicles.

Want to donate? Help out? PM Ash, MissB, Dee or Cat!

feathered
Landlubber

View Profile
How pathetic am I?
« Reply #5 on: 2007 May 26, 11:51:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In a month's time you will end up deleting most of the booty you downloaded. It's what I did. Oh, don't get me wrong, learning the hard way that pay does not equal quality has some merits. :p

Peggy, I'm looking at you.
Capucine
ARR!

View Profile WWW
How pathetic am I?
« Reply #6 on: 2007 May 26, 16:36:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Lorelei"
(If you think 1.5G is bad, I think mine's nearly 14, and some folks have admitted to more...I'll be using jfade's Compressorizer soon: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,8316.0.html )
I say! I've been waiting for something like the .far compressor from the original game to appear. Excellent. Thanks for posing that link.

size=9]Rum is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of The Sims Community.[/size]

The cake is a rich, moist and delicious lie.
Lorelei
ARR!

View Profile WWW
How pathetic am I?
« Reply #7 on: 2007 May 26, 18:08:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're welcome!

Prior to squishin', I got my DL folder to 9.5G.

Will report back!

ETA: Now at 5.5G. W00t!

Celebrity / self Sims, NortWare Begone!, Zork 1-3, variety of MP3s, MATY stuff, more.

What 'gap' is?
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
How pathetic am I?
« Reply #8 on: 2007 May 26, 21:02:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BTW: jfade's Compressorizer is a DREAM! Safe to use on all package files, easy to use, and makes your game load faster if you have lots of files.

I recommend it without hesitation.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
Amazone
Buccaneer
ARR!

The haunted Witch

View Profile
How pathetic am I?
« Reply #9 on: 2007 May 26, 21:30:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

comment only on your last part: I have sold paintings, not all artists
have art as a hobby, they love their work, have exhibitions, they simply do not fit for any other work. Excuse me, this has nothing to do with
the socalled artists who sell CC belonging to a company.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
How pathetic am I?
« Reply #10 on: 2007 May 26, 21:53:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think she was ever denying the existence of artists who do create for a living.

"Seriously, if their stuff is good enough for people to buy, they should go to work for companies like EA and help develop games."

And despite the fact that most comparisons regarding this and tangible things (bake sales, paints, et cetera) don't really work, people still draw their arguments from them.  I think in almost every thread that contains a debate about this, someone compared file sharing to situations in the real world.
fionaskye
ARR!

View Profile
How pathetic am I?
« Reply #11 on: 2007 May 26, 22:41:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ensign EO"
I don't think she was ever denying the existence of artists who do create for a living.

Nope, I wasn't.  My mommy-in-law is one.

Quote from: "Ensign EO"
And despite the fact that most comparisons regarding this and tangible things (bake sales, paints, et cetera) don't really work, people still draw their arguments from them.

Hmmm...  Maybe it's just me, and I'm being really dense (which is known  to happen on occasion), but I fail to see how the comparison doesn't work.  I paint and draw for a hobby, you (the theoretical you, not you you) sculpt stuff as a hobby, Joe Schmoe makes Sims2 stuff as a hobby.  What right do any of us have to charge money for something that someone could learn how to do for themselves?  Especially when that hobby is basically stealing someone else's hard work for their own greedy-ass monetary gain?  At what point does a hobby cease being a hobby?  When you make money from it - at that point, don't you think it becomes a profession?  At what point does this profession become thievery?  Well, when you're charging ridiculous prices for A: stolen code and B: something people could learn to do for themselves.

(Did that make any sense?  I've been out in the 95F sun for the past 3 1/2 hours.  My brain may be fried...)

Lorelei
ARR!

View Profile WWW
How pathetic am I?
« Reply #12 on: 2007 May 26, 22:44:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@Hecubus: what folders other than DLs have you tested?

What 'gap' is?
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
How pathetic am I?
« Reply #13 on: 2007 May 26, 23:54:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm in the process squishing packages living in the the Program Files/EA Games area.  I'll find out in a while whether or not I completely fucked up my game.  I'm not really that attached to it anyway.  From what I understand it isn't going to do anything bad, but there's always the potential that it won't be all that peachy when the next EP comes around.

---

I think the difference is that at some point, you're going to have to go out and buy more materials if you're a sculptor, a baker, et cetera, once you give away/sell all of your whatevers unless you plan on not making any more; and you're going to notice if ten of your items go missing.

Then you have the Sim custom content, in which there is no such limiting of materials--thousands of people can go download your whatever, and the only thing they're using up is bandwidth.  There isn't really much stopping you from creating things other than time restrictions and maybe a little questioning of morality if you don't really want to pay for things like Milkshape.  You aren't using up anything besides your time when you create for the Sims.

And it takes only a few seconds to duplicate your work with the Sims--a little copypasta since it's in digital format--whereas with other, tangible things, you have to get more materials and if it was well-made, then the duplication isn't going to take a few seconds.

I think that's how it goes anyway.  It's summer break.  I don't want to think.  =P
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
How pathetic am I?
« Reply #14 on: 2007 May 27, 01:45:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lorelei, I have squishified the neighborhood, lot catalog, and collections files. Only gained a few mg, but every bit helps. And my game runs like a dream now.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: