PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 11:59:34

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  "This article is a stub. You can help out by..."
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: "This article is a stub. You can help out by..."  (Read 28435 times)
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
"This article is a stub. You can help out by..."
« Reply #45 on: 2007 May 13, 21:32:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At my old school I'm pretty sure you could get condoms from the nurse's office--here in ND they just scoff at the idea.

I'm sensing a great concentration of underaged drinkers and drug users (pot smoking, et cetera) in ND.  Oh, but jeez, they're so conservative, so much purer, and all together better than the coastal states.  Of course.  :roll:

My parents never talked to me about sex or dating.  Not that I'm able to or would want to speak to my mother anyway.  I just kind of figured things out on my own--I hate studying for school, but I do a lot of independent research on topics that interest me.  My father still doesn't say anything to me about anything, but if I fuck up I'm sure he'll be more willing to help me fix it than my mother is.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2007 May 13, 21:43:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ghanima Atreides"
I think a lot of parents have this attitude because they're terrified of the idea that their kids might make a bad choice -as if that's avoidable in life.

The key to discouraging bad choices is to point and laugh at them. Forget that "supportive" crap. If people know you'd actually SUPPORT bad decisions, they'd most assuredly make them. No, you should mock them without mercy.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Ghanima Atreides
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: 2007 May 13, 21:51:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rofl, I just got a funny mental image of Pescado guffawing at a squirming, screaming toddler who broke his toy  :lol:

But seriously, bad choices are part of life. Nothing teaches survival skills better than taking responsability for your actions and not doing something "because mommy/daddy said so". Not jumping off a cliff because it'll kill you is a good reason; "mommy said so" isn't. Guidance only goes to a certain point. While I'm not as drastic as Pescado, I hate hate parents who coddle (is that the word? English sometimes annoys me) and over-protect their children.

Anatidaephobia - the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you
mando
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2007 May 13, 22:06:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ghanima Atreides"
I hate hate parents who coddle (is that the word? English sometimes annoys me) and over-protect their children.

Coddle is a perfectly cromulent English word, Ghanima, and you've used it correctly.  :lol:

I think it's important for people to have all the (correct) facts especially as it relates to health and well being.
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2007 May 13, 22:10:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh, lol.  I hate parents who coddle their kids--I've gotten in trouble with more parents than I wanted to because their kid bitched about me to them.  Not like I ever got in a lot of trouble with my dad about my behaviour--he just told me to be more careful.  I'm sure those parents would have a fit if they found out that my dad never "dealt" with me after permanently damaging their children or whatever the hell it is I did.

Any time I talk to my dad about someone bothering me, he just offers things like, "Tell him that you are indeed a whore and he owes you two hundred dollars for all the dirty talking he's been doing."
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: 2007 May 13, 23:49:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ensign EO"
Any time I talk to my dad about someone bothering me, he just offers things like, "Tell him that you are indeed a whore and he owes you two hundred dollars for all the dirty talking he's been doing."

Your dad is Pescado?

Regarding "healthens"...I only do the best Freudian slips!

Regarding Lorelei's love....accepted!

Regarding "coddle"...great word, perfect usage, and SUCH a sad thing to see happening. I find it such a strange manner of raising kids...my sister, a first grade teacher, is currently battling the will of a kid who was so badly coddled by his mom AND his former school, he was allowed to go home and play video games rather than stay in school. now he's at his dad's, and Dad/new school/my sis won't play that game.

What's also scary is that it's my generation that's coddling their kids, and I can't figure out why. Was our upbringing so bad? We got the first Apple computers, boom boxes, Atari...we started mallrat culture...we were raised on Sesame Street and The Cosby Show, for goodness' sake. I don't get it.

Regarding abstinence only teachings....tell teenagers not to do something, and they'll do it.

Regarding creationism...a few years ago, Discover Magazine (a US science publication) put out a cover that said "EVOLUTION IS A FACT"...and proceeded to talk about how the scientific method had proven evolution is no longer a theory. I think that's about the time we first started hearing about "Intelligent Design". Hah.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
mando
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2007 May 13, 23:57:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, intelligent design is just creationism in a bad wig and glasses. When they start actually being able to prove anything worthwhile about that "theory", I'll stop saying that people who believe it are creepy weirdoes.
MizzKitty
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2007 May 14, 01:30:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm so glad I'm Danish. I haven't seen much of all that idiocy around here. Of course, could be that I'm just blind.

My mom had me at 17. Nothing particularly good or bad about that. Doctors told her she was sterile and she found out she was not. Shit happens and I dare say she was actually quite happy to prove the docs wrong in this case.

My parents never kept any of that crud from me. And the library had plenty of books on the matter. I remember at about age 7 or 8 I was reading books about fetus development. Of course, I always was a rather strange kid, reading all sorts of stuff. People who didn't know me didn't credit that I actually comprehended what was in there. Stupid sods.

I even remember at the same age and a few years older telling all my friends and my younger brother (yes, indeed, my mom proved to be a rather fertile sterile woman  :lol: ) the details about how babies were made.

Of course, if I didn't know the answer I made up something I thought sounded probably. Like, babies being born wrong (retarded etc) due to more sperm coming in and nibbling at them later... or some such nonsense.  :lol:

Anyhoo, where was I? Ahh yes, adding another chapter of my life story.

Very open family. Very free. My mom always told me not to settle for the first guy that came along, to play the field a bit. Get some experience and make sure I chose right. Of course, my mom always did seem to end up with losers, so I understand her point of view.

And my, otherwise very unsympathetic dad, told me that if I became pregnant it wouldn't be a big issue, everyone would help me take care of the baby.

Of course, now at 25---uhh... 24, I mean, what I get from them is more of a "Where is that baby?" vibe.

I mostly liked my parents' approach to the whole thing and I plan of being much the same. I had all the green lights in the world and yet waited for longer than most girls I know did. Funny bit is that my mom was actually very proud of me for that. She thought me very smart and strong not to succumb to boys. Didn't have the heart to tell her that most local boys thought me too strange to try anything anyway.  :lol:

Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2007 May 14, 08:30:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "mando"
Yeah, intelligent design is just creationism in a bad wig and glasses. When they start actually being able to prove anything worthwhile about that "theory", I'll stop saying that people who believe it are creepy weirdoes.

Well, there is the theory which states that the world was created last Tuesday, such that it appears older, much like fake aged paper.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
mando
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2007 May 14, 09:07:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"

Well, there is the theory which states that the world was created last Tuesday, such that it appears older, much like fake aged paper.

Oh Sir! You forgot the most salient point! The world had to also sit outside in the sun for that entire time.
Kirkat
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2007 May 14, 13:52:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They teach you creationism? I'd never heard of it until I just googled it (Considering I'm nearly 22!). My school taught nothing at all about it  Tongue
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: 2007 May 14, 14:08:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Hecubus"
Regarding "coddle"...great word, perfect usage, and SUCH a sad thing to see happening. I find it such a strange manner of raising kids...my sister, a first grade teacher, is currently battling the will of a kid who was so badly coddled by his mom AND his former school, he was allowed to go home and play video games rather than stay in school. now he's at his dad's, and Dad/new school/my sis won't play that game.

What's also scary is that it's my generation that's coddling their kids, and I can't figure out why. Was our upbringing so bad? We got the first Apple computers, boom boxes, Atari...we started mallrat culture...we were raised on Sesame Street and The Cosby Show, for goodness' sake. I don't get it.

It's not only the current generation, but the one before it.  We constantly have students coming in and demanding that they did so well in high school, therefore they should have top marks at university (forgetting of course, that they are competing with others who got top marks).

They seem to think that they are the best at everything, even if they are crap.  I had a student that told me that because she got a 6 (distinction) in another subject, why was she getting a 4 (pass) in mine, and that despite the fact that I had been her tutor for all that time and read her work, I should check with her other tutors for her good marks in other classes.

As for why parents do it? Combination of guilt because they work, and the pop psychology crap that says you should only say good things about your kids or you'll crush their spirit.  That coupled with the obsession for looking for the root of all your problems, even when you're 50, starting in childhood.  Some people think that all their crap started because mummy left them at the shops when they were five, and thus, parents are extra careful to avoid any bad stuff in their kids' childhood.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2007 May 14, 14:22:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Kirkat"
They teach you creationism? I'd never heard of it until I just googled it (Considering I'm nearly 22!). My school taught nothing at all about it  Tongue

Considering that it's just teaching you scripture in the context of the classroom then I think it's great that you didn't even know about "creationism".

Quote from: "calalily"
Combination of guilt because they work, and the pop psychology crap that says you should only say good things about your kids or you'll crush their spirit.

Eh, kids also need to learn that they aren't good at everything and they really can't be anything they want.  A grown man standing at 4'8" can't play basketball.  Even at my slimmest and fittest I was a very slow runner.  Of course you wouldn't say to the kid, "You can't do this."  You'd steer them toward things you see they have potential in and hope that your daughter doesn't become stripper just because she likes to dance.

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
Kirkat
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2007 May 14, 14:57:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "missangelica"
Considering that it's just teaching you scripture in the context of the classroom then I think it's great that you didn't even know about "creationism".

Which lesson would it even be taught in? Physics? Biology? The only one I can imagine is RE (religious education) or possibly English Literature  :lol:
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: 2007 May 14, 16:56:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unfortunately, there are some school districts in the US that require creationism..oh, I mean Intelligent Design <smirk> be taught in biology classes as a theory that is EQUAL in weight to evolution.

Yeah.

It's true...there are people who believe the verdict in the Scopes trial was wrong. (See here, or watch Inherit the Wind, with Spencer Tracy.)

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: