PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 14:22:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  TSR: In Ur Accounts, Deletin Ur Stuffs!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 185 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TSR: In Ur Accounts, Deletin Ur Stuffs!  (Read 806840 times)
fway
ARR!

ESTP

View Profile
Re: TSR: In Ur Accounts, Deletin Ur Stuffs!
« Reply #2190 on: 2009 November 29, 23:04:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Isn't this just peachy keen. We can press charges, correct? It may just be my e-mail, but I definitely want to do something about this.

Pooki
ARR!

Still Alive!

View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: 2009 November 29, 23:05:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I honestly don't remember signing that petition but I might have.  

Snarky's mine despite obvious complications.
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: 2009 November 29, 23:19:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lol at Thomass thinking we're dead.  Just 'cause we aren't being spammed by the same questions over and over anymore and he's not over here trolling atm doesn't mean we're dead.

We have been pretty quiet around here and he's been known to say that this site is "dead"  *shrug*  It wasn't really dead, but some folks had drifted and there wasn't much news lately.

And I disagree with you, Darqstar.  It's fine that you personally do not care that they have your information, but I daresay quite a few of us holds that information dear.  It's also not just a matter of the information itself, but the intent behind it.  It's malicious.  Some of the people that hold that information are responsible for many morally reprehensible and illegal things.  Who knows what they were/are planning to do with it!

First... I'm not saying I'm not upset.  I was royally PISSED OFF when I saw it, but, later, when I thought about it, I realized that there is no information that they have that is truly confidential.  ANY of the information they have on me (My real name, my email, etc.) is something that anyone can obtain with a computer and the ability to know what Google is.  And honestly, I keep hearing, "OMG, they can DO things with that information!"  What I don't hear is what can be done.  I can pick up my local phone book and get people's names, addresses and phone numbers.  That doesn't mean I can do anything with that information.  

If someone can tell me what I should do about this, provided it doesn't violate local laws or my own moral code, I will be happy to do it.  Unfortunately, every time something like this happens, all I ever hear is, "We need to DO something!  We need to take legal action!"  If that's the case, then should I sue the phone company?  They publish more information than that in a publication that anyone can get their hands on.  What no one ever seems to be able to say is what to do about it.

Atwa's handing out of the list? That was malicious.  What people do with it is their own motives.  Personally, I don't see that they CAN do much with the information.  They can report me to my ISP, but what proof do they have that I've done anything wrong?  Okay, maybe they could have my LJ account canceled.  Yes, that would suck, but it won't ruin my life. They can call my house, as I mentioned, but anyone who cranks someone these days is crazy, you can find out who it is a whole lot easier.  

They have my name and email.  If the information comes from EA they also will have any information I gave to EA when I was registering my software, which includes my phone number.  So, pray tell, what do they do with it now?

You tell me what legal action I can take, I'll take it, if I'm able to.  Otherwise, I don't see the point of running around in a panic.  The information is out.  Whether or not I get upset about it, that won't take it back.  And if I run around ranting, screaming, and acting like a lunatic buffalo in heat with a burr up her ass, I'm just another person Thomas can point at and say, "See?  The pirates are LUNATICS! We're on the right side, we're nice!"

I don't even think it's from EA.  The more it's mentioned, the more I think it's BlueSoup's hacked petition.  And if that is the case, then well, I'm the idiot who posted that information, I should have known better. But again, please tell me what these people can do with my email address and real name?  

Edit to add: Something also occured to me... wouldn't the first person to sign the petition be Blue?  And wouldn't that help to identify where the information came from?  Ironically, the first name on that list is missing.

Edit 2: changed "public" to "publish"  
« Last Edit: 2009 November 29, 23:31:40 by Darqstar » Logged

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Witchboy
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2193 on: 2009 November 29, 23:19:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember that petition & yes i did sign it. Don't remember if i gave my full name or not. Sigmund, i think you might be right about the info on the pirate list being from the hacked petition.

Missangelica, Atwa removed the person listed as #1 from the list before spreading it around the net.

And if I run around ranting, screaming, and acting like a lunatic buffalo in heat with a burr up her ass.

And now i can't seem to get that image outta my head. Thanks DQ LOL Cheesy
« Last Edit: 2009 November 29, 23:25:14 by WB » Logged

*Empress Paden's Fanboy*
*ShanOw, now 100% more stoppable then me!*
*O Coconut, Coconut, wherefore art thou Coconut?*

Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: 2009 November 29, 23:32:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And if I run around ranting, screaming, and acting like a lunatic buffalo in heat with a burr up her ass.

And now i can't seem to get that image outta my head. Thanks DQ LOL Cheesy

Any time!

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2195 on: 2009 November 29, 23:37:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, it is beginning to look a lot like the petition that was hacked.  Now we know who did it, don't we?  I cannot remember if i signed it or not.  I don't think I did, and my name is not on that list anywhere.  I know I debated on signing it.  But my memory is faulty and there is a possibility I did.  *shrugs

I was surprised I was not included as I was in the top ten enemies list there for a while and figured that I would make whatever hate list they have.

ETA: how is it libel? I am confused. 

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
Celesta
Racist Stalker
Landlubber

EA made me a pirate!

View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: 2009 November 29, 23:46:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From what I can tell, the target list appears to consist of "Anyone Who Has Ever Been Sighted Here/MATY/MTS2", and "Anyone Who Has Ever Been Seen Not Approving Of Them".

Well I can understand it if that's how they found me, but how could they have my full name?  TSR does not have and has never been given my full real name by me. I haven't given my full name to anyone except EA when I registered my games and that was clear back in 2004 before MATY even existed. No wait, it would have had to be even further back than that. I first registered a Sims 1 game with EA in 2003. I've never been registered on TSR or downloaded anything from that site. I've never even downloaded their crap from the booty. Every Sims game I have I bought and paid for it legally.

How do I know that this isn't just propaganda? How do I really know such a list from TSR actually exists? All I have is coconut's word for it. Who else has actually seen the list in question? These names could have been collected off of websites by almost anyone and the information leaked could be inaccurate if it even actually exists.

What is most amusing about this is that this list has none of the more notorious names and mostly contains probably the most innocent of simmers who have had little to do or involvement with piracy and anti-paysite activities. It almost seems like a scare tactic to get those listed outraged or involved. If ATWAT or whatever her name is made this list, she is an idiot with no clue as to who are her real enemies. Certainly I have had nothing to do with her or TSR ever.
Light_Angel
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: 2009 November 29, 23:54:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now that it's been mentioned, I also signed that petition and left my sentiments, just for kicks.  Guess that means I'll never do something like that ever again.  

Of course, it's not going to stop me from speaking my mind on how despicable TSR is.

The petition itself was about TSR's actions within the community and how fed up people were that EA condoned their actions by doing nothing.  I'm not sure if it was to EA Legal or not, but it had to be somewhere within the company on that level. 
Celesta
Racist Stalker
Landlubber

EA made me a pirate!

View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: 2009 November 30, 00:04:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now that it's been mentioned, I also signed that petition and left my sentiments, just for kicks.  Guess that means I'll never do something like that ever again.  

Of course, it's not going to stop me from speaking my mind on how despicable TSR is.

The petition itself was about TSR's actions within the community and how fed up people were that EA condoned their actions by doing nothing.  I'm not sure if it was to EA Legal or not, but it had to be somewhere within the company on that level. 

What is this petition everyone keeps talking about? When was it? Was it an online petition? I never signed any petition regarding TSR. So no, they could not have gotten my information through any petition. The only way ATWAT could have my full real name is if it were given to her by EA.
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: 2009 November 30, 00:10:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lol at Thomass thinking we're dead.  Just 'cause we aren't being spammed by the same questions over and over anymore and he's not over here trolling atm doesn't mean we're dead.

We have been pretty quiet around here and he's been known to say that this site is "dead"  *shrug*  It wasn't really dead, but some folks had drifted and there wasn't much news lately.

I'm sure there are many like me that either had some stuff going on so was away for a bit and also just lurked for a while because they had nothing new to say as well.

And I disagree with you, Darqstar.  It's fine that you personally do not care that they have your information, but I daresay quite a few of us holds that information dear.  It's also not just a matter of the information itself, but the intent behind it.  It's malicious.  Some of the people that hold that information are responsible for many morally reprehensible and illegal things.  Who knows what they were/are planning to do with it!

First... I'm not saying I'm not upset.  I was royally PISSED OFF when I saw it, but, later, when I thought about it, I realized that there is no information that they have that is truly confidential.  ANY of the information they have on me (My real name, my email, etc.) is something that anyone can obtain with a computer and the ability to know what Google is.  And honestly, I keep hearing, "OMG, they can DO things with that information!"  What I don't hear is what can be done.  I can pick up my local phone book and get people's names, addresses and phone numbers.  That doesn't mean I can do anything with that information.  

*snip*

I don't even think it's from EA.  The more it's mentioned, the more I think it's BlueSoup's hacked petition.  And if that is the case, then well, I'm the idiot who posted that information, I should have known better. But again, please tell me what these people can do with my email address and real name?  

Edit to add: Something also occured to me... wouldn't the first person to sign the petition be Blue?  And wouldn't that help to identify where the information came from?  Ironically, the first name on that list is missing.

Bless you for not knowing what they could do with that information.  Truly your mind was never meant to be used for evil.  Personally I can come up with several things that they could do, but I question whether they would go that far.  Considering how they have already lied, hacked, DDOS attacked, shushed with money, sent trojans and viruses to their own staff, and more making a list grows longer every day, they go farther into depravity and lawlessness.  So I don't think you should be looking it through your moral compass, but through Thomass'.

And yes, I'm thinking the first person was Blue too.

---

Here's BlueSoup saying how many she had on the petition before it got hacked: 629.

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
kenmtl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: 2009 November 30, 00:12:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bluesoup's petition was the only one I ever signed.

kenmtl-how do you know which email is on there? Did coconut tell you?
The name I recognized as moi is a partial email.
From coconut's blog
I have recreated the list using partial email names unless that email contained a real name ...

I know TSR doesn't have my real name so I'm not terribly concerned, however if I knew which name was on the list I can probably narrow down where it came from. I'm rarely actually me anywhere.

I was surprised I was not included as I was in the top ten enemies list there for a while and figured that I would make whatever hate list they have.
I'll put you on my hate list if that'll make you feel better.  Smiley

As for the list itself I am kinda surprised who's on it and who's not. Makes me go hmmmm.

I'm in ur forums propagating ur discussions
Like free shit? Me too. Get it here!
The Shady Waffle
Landlubber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2201 on: 2009 November 30, 00:13:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Darqstar makes a valid point and I wish I could add more to that but I think it's already been said.  Embarrassed All the information they have on me can be found easily through Google or at least one social network site that I've been on. If anything (and I hope it remains this way) it's served as a lesson learned and I will have to be more careful in the future.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (because I could be), but I think there's a problem with pinning this on TSR. If this is a list of names from the hacked petition (which is starting to seem more and more probable) technically Thomas didn't break TSR's privacy policy since the information is from somewhere else. Therefore TSR, the company, doesn't hold accountability for the information spreading, although that doesn't mean laws haven't been broken and there is at least one individual within TSR who is accountable. Either Thomas or someone connected to him obtained that information illegally, or Atwa hacked the petition (or knows the person who did) and is saying she received the info from Thomas in an attempt to disguise the source of the information. (We've only been told that Atwa said she got her information from Thomas.)

At least that's been my two cents. My brain is tired today. Sad
Light_Angel
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: 2009 November 30, 00:17:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What is this petition everyone keeps talking about? When was it? Was it an online petition? I never signed any petition regarding TSR. So no, they could not have gotten my information through any petition. The only way ATWAT could have my full real name is if it were given to her by EA.

Yeah, it was an online one Bluesoup started, and it was even suggested for some people to print a hard copy to mail to EA also.  The hacking of it was several months back, in March to be exact:  http://phorum.mustnotbenamed.com/index.php/topic,2366.msg140167.html#msg140167
Dina D
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2203 on: 2009 November 30, 00:22:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

libel |ˈlībəl|
noun
1 Law a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.
• the action or crime of publishing such a statement.
• a false and malicious statement about a person.
• a thing or circumstance that brings undeserved discredit on a person by misrepresentation.

Now reread my above post.

EDIT: If they had just posted usernames, there really wouldn't be a problem since usernames are generally anonymous anyway. But they took it too far in publishing peoples' full names and e-mails. That was a bad, dumb, dangerous, stupid move.

EDIT: Tell me more about this petition. What site hosted it? Who was it directed to (EA in general or a specific person)?

yes...but I'm with Paleoanth...how is this libel? I be confused...as it's just a list of names and emails at this point...what exactly has been done with it except it was passed around??

mustluvcatz
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: 2009 November 30, 00:40:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it could be considered libel if it's meant to be a list of people accused of being pirates. But, if anyone wanted to take it to court as being libelous, they'd have to prove that being on that list hurt their reputation, their livelyhood. Which would be hard to do. If someone on that list has their own site (for example) and people start posting that they won't frequent that site because of the list, that'd be a bit different but a judge would still most likely throw it out of court.
Now, if that list were to be passed around in your real life- to all your family, friends, employers, etc., with the intention of discrediting you..that would be a different story, too. However, how would being on a list discredit anyone? Even if it is a list of supposed pirates? It's a he said/she said situation. Atwat says you are, you say you aren't. The list itself means nothing that way.

Forget about libel. Kick their asses for making your information public without your knowledge or consent.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 185 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: