PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 09:12:07

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  TSR: In Ur Accounts, Deletin Ur Stuffs!
0 Members and 3 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 185 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TSR: In Ur Accounts, Deletin Ur Stuffs!  (Read 807113 times)
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
Re: TSR: In Ur Accounts, Deletin Ur Stuffs!
« Reply #810 on: 2009 April 03, 19:04:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What, if anything, is happening with the TSR/Buggybooz investigation?
I haven't forgotten about it - I'm just waiting for some answers to some questions back from Steve at TSR. 

Delphy, I'm confused about one thing... when you wrote that TSR had been hacked, you made it sound like Steve had been pretty clear with you that yes, they had been.  Then, I hear, "Well, no, it wasn't like we were really hacked..." a sudden claim that it was only FA's who were affected, blah blah blah.

Did Steve say they were hacked?  And did he make it very clear that they were hacked and it was a fairly serious hack, or did they mention it briefly, lightly, as if it wasn't really significant?  

From the way you spoke about it first, it came across like you were told clearly, by Steve, that they were hacked and that this was something that most defenately could have been a way for someone to get access to Buggy's TSR and Thomas's password to the Hamilton Account.   But TSR and co. seem to be implying that it was mentioned so briefly, so lightly, almost as if they were surprised you even figured that could be the reason.

And I still say that if they weren't hacked, how else would they get both passwords?  Buggy's and Thomas's.   I did consider that maybe, just maybe, Shakeshaft had hacked TSR, but I can't see Thomas being so stupid as to leave his password to his MST2 account somewhere where someone hacking TSR would be able to find it.  

I got my message too, Darq - the real crock of shit is, I never got a warning - I never even got a warning in the threads asking for clarification - I just got threads deleted and banned.  So, the ban email goes into my screen shot folder and once I figure out -who- to contact and how, its going to them.

Is it bad I'm far more annoyed at EA now, than I am at TSR?

I don't think it's bad.  I feel the same way. Because with EA's not-so-subtle approval, hell downright asskissin' we both know that TSR is not going down unless we can get enough subscribers to bow out of the place that it can no longer afford to run.  It's just sad EA has decided that a site that is purely a business (And that's what it is.  They shouldn't even be allowed to call it a fansite, it is a BUSINESS. )  is much more important, and much more in the spirit of what EA wants people to think The Sims is all about.   That sites like Nouk's, MTS2, SAU, and all those sites that make good quality content and do their best to keep up not only an excellent site, but to also never forget they are fans, and that the love of the game is what counts, aren't worth their time and effort.

Didn't someone have a screenshot once of Thomas saying he didn't even like playing The Sims?  That's what I'm talking about, their number one fansite is owned and operated by people who don't give a crap about the game even, yet EA invites them to all the parties and tells them how swell they are, etc.  Meanwhile, they suck up the freebies and probably laugh their asses off at the silly people who actually enjoy the game.

Even some of the FA's start to become indifferent to the game as time goes on and they become more and more dependent on the money the game brings in.  I was merely an SA, and I started to get disenchanted with the game itself, because it seemed more important for me to make stuff, than to play.  I'd hear about a new expansion pack and tell myself it wasn't even worth it, unless it had great items for recoloring.  It wasn't like I'd have time to ever play it.

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
eifslitc
ARR!

>__>

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: 2009 April 03, 19:10:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The more I hear about TSR (and after reading Darqstar's signature), that place seems more and more like some Nazi Sims camp...

Approve memos.
Fresh new look. Same great taste.
Delphy
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: 2009 April 03, 19:38:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Delphy, I'm confused about one thing... when you wrote that TSR had been hacked, you made it sound like Steve had been pretty clear with you that yes, they had been.  Then, I hear, "Well, no, it wasn't like we were really hacked..." a sudden claim that it was only FA's who were affected, blah blah blah.

Did Steve say they were hacked?  And did he make it very clear that they were hacked and it was a fairly serious hack, or did they mention it briefly, lightly, as if it wasn't really significant?  

From the way you spoke about it first, it came across like you were told clearly, by Steve, that they were hacked and that this was something that most defenately could have been a way for someone to get access to Buggy's TSR and Thomas's password to the Hamilton Account.   But TSR and co. seem to be implying that it was mentioned so briefly, so lightly, almost as if they were surprised you even figured that could be the reason.

Steve said that it was possible that Thomas' details had been gotten by a 3rd party (ie they'd been hacked) but that it was months ago, and later said that it was *only* FA and Staff access that was gotten.  It was something that was mentioned more in passing rather than a detailed explanation, so I do not know the full details, but it was definately mentioned and something I questioned him on to try and explain how this could have happened.

And I still say that if they weren't hacked, how else would they get both passwords?  Buggy's and Thomas's.   I did consider that maybe, just maybe, Shakeshaft had hacked TSR, but I can't see Thomas being so stupid as to leave his password to his MST2 account somewhere where someone hacking TSR would be able to find it.  

This is one of my key problems with the "coconut did it" theory - even HAD somebody gotten Thomas' password months ago, they would have no way of getting Buggy's (since the account was unknown) during the same hack.  Since nobody outside of TSR knew what buggys account on TSR *was* (not even I did, and Steve certainly didn't give me the impression he knew either for sure when we first talked) then this doesn't cover any theft of buggys account details there. This is one of the points I am awaiting to get details back from Steve on (among other things).

neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: 2009 April 03, 19:43:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did TSR try to blame Buggybooz for this at one point?

dstar
ARR!

The Best Things in Life Are Free

View Profile WWW
« Reply #814 on: 2009 April 03, 19:50:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just following a line of logic or illogic as the case may be -Delphy, was Shakeshaft by chance one of the creators that got lured over to TSR? I ask because I did a search  t if I had any of her stuff from MTS2 to delete-and noticed that  the last time she was logged in was on the 26- which would be right before the shit hit the fan- and I know on my profile it shows the last time I was actively logged into the server in order to download stuff or post on the forums . Have you looked into the former MTS2 creators who went to TSR to see if anyone else was active recently - This seems it might be a possible issue  if you have TSR creators who are no longer active on Mod the Sims  in terms of currently creating items for upload like MsBarrows or Shakeshaft who still can access their accounts . 

I don't know much about computers like you and Pescado do  but the fact that the person who Buggybooz accused of stealing her stuff was active on Mod the Sims- the place she left to go to TSR in and of itself seems highly suspicious to me,  given that it happened around the  time that Buggybooz was reporting her stuff stolen - Someone accused of theft on my site at at around the same time period they had been accused of stealing from my site  would indicate to me that they (or someone else  since Shakeshaft may not for all we know be that computer savvy)  may be looking for security holes in order to be able to hack Buggys account.

As a Note and a Vote of Self Confidence to Buggybooz and freesites everywhere- almost all TSR content has been rooted from my downloads folder except the few sets I can't replace with other peoples stuff  in terms of Maxis Match/Completion/Add-On sets!
« Last Edit: 2009 April 03, 21:02:23 by dstar » Logged

100% Free Finds All the Time from 100% Free Sites
http://www.freesimsfinds.com
http://www.sailfinsims.com
uknortherner
ARR!

Wherever I lay my hat... That's my home.

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: 2009 April 03, 19:56:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On an unrelated note, the official site has decided to post their own marcos, and used some of the common phrases used here, like Do Not Want. Here is a link to their marcos if anyone cares, http://thesims2.ea.com/community/lolsims/index.php

I was going to mention this on the other TSR thread that's been heavily derailed but didn't bother. The "JOIN THE DARK SIDE: WE HAVE BETTER LAMPS" one's brilliant!

The preceding message does not contain the following: Crappy poetry; song lyrics from really obscure bands; 12ish netspk; random confusion over "there", "their" and "they're"; aLtCaPs; superspeshulsnowflaekeness or any other glitter-filled bollocks.
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: 2009 April 03, 19:57:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Steve said that it was possible that Thomas' details had been gotten by a 3rd party (ie they'd been hacked) but that it was months ago, and later said that it was *only* FA and Staff access that was gotten.  It was something that was mentioned more in passing rather than a detailed explanation, so I do not know the full details, but it was definately mentioned and something I questioned him on to try and explain how this could have happened.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.  As much as I hate crediting TSR, their "Why is everyone talking hack?" confusion makes a little more sense and seems less like an act to confuse you and all of us.  

This is one of my key problems with the "coconut did it" theory - even HAD somebody gotten Thomas' password months ago, they would have no way of getting Buggy's (since the account was unknown) during the same hack.  Since nobody outside of TSR knew what buggys account on TSR *was* (not even I did, and Steve certainly didn't give me the impression he knew either for sure when we first talked) then this doesn't cover any theft of buggys account details there. This is one of the points I am awaiting to get details back from Steve on (among other things).

Also, how about the fact that Buggy wasn't an FA.  If the hacker never got past FA accounts (Are they on a different server I wonder?) how did they get to Buggy's?

And, if they just were pretty sure they only got to FA accounts, but now that this has happened, they are wondering if perhaps the mysterious hacker got further than they thought, shouldn't they be warning their account holders about changing passwords?  

I've been trying not to speculate until more facts are known, but sometimes it gets really hard not to.   Cheesy

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Nutty
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: 2009 April 03, 20:24:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, how about the fact that Buggy wasn't an FA.  If the hacker never got past FA accounts (Are they on a different server I wonder?) how did they get to Buggy's?

And, if they just were pretty sure they only got to FA accounts, but now that this has happened, they are wondering if perhaps the mysterious hacker got further than they thought, shouldn't they be warning their account holders about changing passwords?  

I've been trying not to speculate until more facts are known, but sometimes it gets really hard not to.   Cheesy

Even if they only got to FA accounts, warning everyone to change their passwords should've been the first thing they did. It's good business sense; by not warning your customers of a security breach (if it even happened) you make yourselves look bad and therefore lose custom.

I just hope Delphy isn't being led on a wild goose chase in all this. Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't put it past them Tongue

On an unrelated note, the official site has decided to post their own marcos, and used some of the common phrases used here, like Do Not Want. Here is a link to their marcos if anyone cares, http://thesims2.ea.com/community/lolsims/index.php

I was going to mention this on the other TSR thread that's been heavily derailed but didn't bother. The "JOIN THE DARK SIDE: WE HAVE BETTER LAMPS" one's brilliant!

Cheers for the link - I needed a laugh Wink My favourite's the [i ][/i] one Grin
Delphy
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: 2009 April 03, 20:48:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Delphy, was Shakeshaft by chance one of the creators that got lured over to TSR? I ask because I did a search  t if I had any of her stuff from MTS2 to delete-and noticed that  the last time she was logged in was on the 26- which would be right before the shit hit the fan- and I know on my profile it shows the last time I was actively logged into the server in order to download stuff or post on the forums . Have you looked into the former MTS2 creators who went to TSR to see if anyone else was active recently - This seems it might be a big security breach if you have TSR creators who are no longer active on Mod the Sims  in terms of currently creating items for upload like MsBarrows or Shakeshaft who still can access their accounts . 

I'm confused - why would it be a "security breach" for people who have left MTS2 to still have accounts?  It's a free site, anybody can make an account, but only buggybooz had the password to her MTS2 account.  I really don't think that investigating ex-MTS2 people is really relevant, and Shakeshaft was actively logged into MTS2 multiple times (pretty much once a day) stretching back months, so I don't think it's really that relevant about any logins on the 26th.

On another note, the whole thing re: browser strings and what "coconut" said doesn't sit well with me - yes they arent' that hard to change but the fact remains that the browser string is *identical* in all the various cases, complete with a not-so-common ImageShack toolbar.  So it's my feeling that it's not just a coincedence but, when combined with the *other* evidence, is, in fact, quite important to note.
dstar
ARR!

The Best Things in Life Are Free

View Profile WWW
« Reply #819 on: 2009 April 03, 20:56:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry for sounding like an idiot like I said in comparison to you and Pescado I know next to nothing about computers. Just following a possible thread of logic or illogic that struck my brain.

100% Free Finds All the Time from 100% Free Sites
http://www.freesimsfinds.com
http://www.sailfinsims.com
Skoria_Bay
ARR!

Give me a tall ship and star to sail her by

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: 2009 April 03, 21:05:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A thought about the Sim Masters verses Maxoids....

My understanding was that the Sim Masters were the moderators of the BBS i.e. they locked threads "flaming" someone, gave warnings to people who's behavior was out of line, locked threads that were becoming too long and repeated the same thing over and over and over again. Basically, the general day to day running of the BBS. The Sim Masters were all volunteers from the regular fan base and gave of their own time. The Maxoids are EA employees who are a part of the Sims division and visit the site rarely, perhaps make "official announcements" (We are having a contest to see who can retell the best Fairy Tale or whatever contest), and posted special customer content for everyone to download (like Moonbelly and Monkey).

So now someone has decided that the Sim Masters *cough* Steve *cough* should be some sort of "title" with no job function and the Maxoids are now the Moderators. I wonder what Drea's job description really is. Heck, I do a better job than she does. We all could.

Pescado: I will THROW THEM IN A VAT OF BOILING SHARKS!
mustluvcatz: So, what good would a vat of boiling sharks do? I mean, wouldn't the sharks be dead?
Pescado: SILENCE!
Delphy
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: 2009 April 03, 21:20:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With regards to the whole Sim Masters thing, it could just be that EA/Maxis want more control over the forums and the information on them.  I mean, since the whole Sims Store stuff we know that they are moving much more into the social/online areas, so it's logical to think that they would want to have extra control, and I think that perhaps the whole thing that has happened lately was just the straw that broke the camels back, in terms of who does what and who has power - especially when you think that a lot of sim masters left not that long ago.

I'm not really going to draw any conclusions into it - I just see it as more of a control thing rather than anything tinfoil hattery related like TSR paying them, etc etc.  Occams razor, people, remember? Smiley
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: 2009 April 03, 21:36:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well if you're turning full controll over to the people that treat the paying customers like dummies and alienating them, all in favor of a site they are not affiliated with, then they shouldn't be surprised that alot of people get to that conclusion on their own.

Also, Delphy, do you have an opinion on your name being used and words being put in your mouth in that 'myth' joke they posted?

Inactive
Amazone
Buccaneer
ARR!

The haunted Witch

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: 2009 April 03, 21:47:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dreas position? She must be a PR-master for EA and TSR. Maybe she has a crush on Thomass or some other guy from TSR.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: 2009 April 03, 21:55:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I bet it's the golden sheen of his blond hair.... or his Gold card.  Cheesy

Inactive
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 185 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: