PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 24, 22:09:34

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap
0 Members and 3 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 110 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap  (Read 557185 times)
pinkyfriend
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap
« Reply #1470 on: 2009 April 13, 03:30:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have simPE or milkshape installed & have been gone to family thing all day or I would try. Thought someone might be interested, but no big deal if not. On t$r she seems to be claiming the meshes as her own. I certainly didn't see any credit given. But they may be her own & just be very similar...just seems with her recent history I would put nothing past her!

"The internet is like a petri dish...you drop one stupid spore in and it just grows like crazy" - my son
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: 2009 April 13, 13:27:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also important is to know if the vases were modified from a game mesh. If they were made from scratch and have the same shape and vertice count and such, it's alot more supicious.

Inactive
kenmtl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: 2009 April 13, 14:09:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In a general view they're different sizes and the insides are different. The only thing that seems similar is the overall shape. I didn't look too closely. I have those same basic pot shapes in game from different people. So meh.

I'm in ur forums propagating ur discussions
Like free shit? Me too. Get it here!
Eskimo Pie
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: 2009 April 13, 14:43:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well we all know shakeshafts is an outright thief but she does steal others ideas too...

Just look at Parismonios gypsy set that has been up for a really long time

that goes up and not too long after so does this terrible look a like

so she obviously gets her "inspiration"  from others

For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain.
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: 2009 April 13, 14:53:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow...

You'd think she would have at least changed the color scheme.

If you're going to go that far, at least give a "I was inspired by" byline.  Honestly, that's too darned similar to be mere coincidence. 

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: 2009 April 13, 16:02:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shakeshaft sucks. What a crappy knock-off. Parsimonous' set is so superior in every way. Only the idiots who think that TSR is the only game in town would even consider downloading her crap. Not to mention the computer STD it will give you.

Here's a link to Kate's beautiful build set: http://www.parsimonious.org/furniture2/build/k8-Wandering.shtml

Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: 2009 April 14, 04:20:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well we all know shakeshafts is an outright thief but she does steal others ideas too...
To be fair, the two have nothing really in common. The Parsimonious version is 4 tiles wide, the Shakeshaftian is 5. The dimensions are totally different, and about the only thing in common is the style. There is nothing wrong with imitating a style and one does not need to credit anyone merely for building in a similarly influenced style.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
scrappysim
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: 2009 April 14, 04:51:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually Parsimonious has many sizes and variations other than the one shown. (including a 5 tile version.)  Kate's was up first and then TSR's  but I don't think it is a theft.  I think that they see great things in the free community and copy them simply to appease the sheep and keep them from wondering off too far.  If there are things that seem like good ideas and they are at a free site somewhere and those things start showing up in peoples pics around town then the sheep will start venturing out to find them but if they (TSR) has FA's copy those items or ideas then the sheep don't have to go anywhere and all is well with the TSR world.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Deeply. . . . It's worth it!
rum nate
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: 2009 April 14, 04:56:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you are right scrappysim. There are several Maxis completion sets (windows, doors, objects, ect.) on TSR that showed up not long after they are made on MTS. It probably kills TSR they have to link to MTS for the CEP.

Quote from: Paden
I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them here or there, I would not trust them anywhere. I do not like that mental scar, I would not trust that TSR...
SnarkyShark
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: 2009 April 14, 08:47:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually Parsimonious has many sizes and variations other than the one shown. (including a 5 tile version.)  Kate's was up first and then TSR's  but I don't think it is a theft.  I think that they see great things in the free community and copy them simply to appease the sheep and keep them from wondering off too far.  If there are things that seem like good ideas and they are at a free site somewhere and those things start showing up in peoples pics around town then the sheep will start venturing out to find them but if they (TSR) has FA's copy those items or ideas then the sheep don't have to go anywhere and all is well with the TSR world.

Interesting theory, scrappysim. It could also possibly explain why Shakeshaft thought she could get away with stealing Buggy's work. After copying other people's ideas and not getting called on it, she becomes over confident and figures she can swipe their meshes with equal impunity.
falln_angel
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: 2009 April 14, 15:33:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If there are things that seem like good ideas and they are at a free site somewhere and those things start showing up in peoples pics around town then the sheep will start venturing out to find them but if they (TSR) has FA's copy those items or ideas then the sheep don't have to go anywhere and all is well with the TSR world.

This makes all kind of sense, given the amount of brainwashing that goes on over there. Someone on the 'outside' creates something that looks kind of cool, but it's of inferior quality. (It must be, since it's free.) And the people are sad. Then one of the FA's notices the creation and makes an improved (superior/pay) version of the same idea. And the people rejoice.

It's just like Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap, but in reverse. And stupid.

Twilight is that movie where angsty vampires do each other’s makeup in high school, right? And instead of sunlight exploding them, it turns their skin into body glitter? I’m not judging you, man. That’s a really, really cool thing to enjoy. --Seanbaby
Eskimo Pie
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: 2009 April 14, 16:18:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

NO, I do not think it is outright thief either, but just as it has been said already it was copied to keep the tsr 12's happy . There is nothing wrong by being inspired by others but then to charge for a less nice version....  and who would want it once you see the beautiful free one?

For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain.
CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: 2009 April 14, 23:28:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA used to do the same thing as TSR.  I remember seeing some lovely tropical print and bamboo furniture, then a few months later, very similar stuff in a new EA release.  Not illegal, not even especially shady, but rather unoriginal.  Why?  I get that  they're doing it so people will buy their version instead of the free stuff.  But people have already seen the free stuff, right?  Why would they buy the EA version?  Do people really think if you pay for it, you're getting higher quality?  Is there some large segment of the market that only looks at free stuff, but doesn't download, so they don't know free stuff can be high quality and well supported?  Are these the people that can't figure out how to download *.rar files and put them in Downloads?  The ones that bawled and threw fits when QExpress went away on MTS2?  I'm not asking this in order to make fun of these people.  I'm wondering how to reach them.  Maybe post part of a set on the Exchange?  Bundle it with with instructions that say "if you want the rest, go to this free site, and follow these simple instructions to download?".  That could be in the catalog description of the item.  I know folks post about free sites in the BBS, but I'm thinking about how to convince the people that download from the Exchange and TSR and don't go to the free sites.

pinkyfriend
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: 2009 April 15, 00:11:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA used to do the same thing as TSR. 

I noticed that too! I think they must cruise around for ideas. Most of the time they are not nearly as well executed as the cc.

"The internet is like a petri dish...you drop one stupid spore in and it just grows like crazy" - my son
ekimsal
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: 2009 April 15, 00:45:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I noticed the EAxis copying when the ponytail on recherche-sims.net was put in AL. Since then the hair's no longer listed on the website though.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the hair. It was in a different secion. http://recherche-sims.net/4sale/ Hair 001

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 110 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: