PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 13:52:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 110 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap  (Read 552935 times)
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap
« Reply #1200 on: 2009 January 09, 15:25:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I was growing up, lawyers couldn't advertise.  It was awesome. 

When my father worked for the bar association, he fought letting lawyers advertise in the state tooth and nail. He lost Tongue. Lots of lawyers start frothing at the mouth when they see law advertisements. And they go off on rants about how horrible the particular lawyer in the advertisement is...

Quote from: calalily
But then to take one piece of anecdata and extrapolate it out to the whole phenomenology of crime - that's just wrong.

Is there any subject in which people don't do this? It drives me nutty too, but I now tend to throw in a few links and run when people are discussing history. I treasure the little sanity I have.

SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1201 on: 2009 January 09, 16:49:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, but its not really the president who decides this stuff, either.  And Clinton had a republican congress for a good part of his administration, iirc.  The President might get the blame, but its congress that actually makes laws.

And if I see a lawyer's ad, I just assume he's a shyster or not really good and ignore it.  Not that I usually need a lawyer.

Personally, the ads I really get annoyed with are the ones for sugary crap, which then say its a healthy or nutritious - we've an epidemic of diabetes, especially a growing number of children with type II, and half of its the fault of ads.  The other half is parents not paying attention or knowing how to say no, granted, or being too dumb to realize that the ads are lying.
/soapbox

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1202 on: 2009 January 09, 17:59:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But then to take one piece of anecdata and extrapolate it out to the whole phenomenology of crime - that's just wrong.

Is there any subject in which people don't do this? It drives me nutty too, but I now tend to throw in a few links and run when people are discussing history. I treasure the little sanity I have.

Well I'm sure there are - but with crime, and opinions about crime which leads to voting behaviours. History rarely leads to deaths of others, but crime anecdata does and anecdata makes that okay. Opinions on crime with no basis of fact leads to lobby groups and then to someone else bearing the brunt of the false information floating around. It leads to the acceptance of torture, police brutality, a faulty criminal justice system and over-harsh sentencing laws.  I suppose that's what's so frustrating - anecdata will determine what sort of CJS I work in - whereas historians decide definitively what history is, and 1492 can be sold all they like, but it doesn't change the framework of the history discipline.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: 2009 January 09, 23:49:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

wow..and how old are you???

*runs*  lol

Well, at least you're running as if I'd be able to put up a chase.   Grin  You could have really insulted me and said, "Walks slightly faster than normal."

I'm 47. 

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Ashbashtus
ARR!

Join us! We haz cookies!

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: 2009 January 10, 00:32:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

wow..and how old are you???

*runs*  lol

Well, at least you're running as if I'd be able to put up a chase.   Grin  You could have really insulted me and said, "Walks slightly faster than normal."

I'm 47. 

47 42  Wink Let Pescado years work for you

"Ook ook, eek eek, motherfucker" -Paden
ShakeShaft's a fucking thief and Thoma$$' little bitch.
TSR, the home of JesusDot
pickles
ARR!

Disillusioned Miscreant

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: 2009 January 10, 00:38:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's alright though. Most of the awesomest people I know are over 40.
Speaking of which, the youth-centric culture we've built for ourselves seems so disheartening to me. I heard "oh God, he's soooo old, what can he know about it?" somewhere the other day and it got me rather angry. If we refuse to learn from our elders then who are we learning from? Young people can be fun and all, but they (we I guess) simply haven't got the lifetime of experience that our parents and grandparents have.
  Also, modern dresses are fugly. Needs moar fluffy skirts and short heels and catseye glasses. And cigarette holders, even though I don't smoke.

puzzle pirates, yarrrr (I'm on malachite)
If God wanted women to like me, He would have made me a chocolate shoe filled with money. ~Hastings Kilgore
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: 2009 January 10, 01:52:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I'm sure there are - but with crime, and opinions about crime which leads to voting behaviours. History rarely leads to deaths of others

Not true. "Our people were here before your people/your people have always done evil things" etc. leads to death on a very massive scale on a very regular basis. Recently, not understanding the history of the Middle East has led people to do incredibly stupid things there, and to find justifications for them.

deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: 2009 January 10, 02:40:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A side note, I love history and enjoy nothing more than watching old footage or documentaries.  I believe it is vital that we understand humanity's mistakes and triumphs. It is the only way we can teach tolerance and understanding, and perhaps with such knowledge we can stop "history repeating itself". However having said that, there is little ethusiasm shown about topics like the history of the Israeli/Palestine conflict, the persectution of Jews, or even about the dangers of dictatorship/fundementalism. We seem to be throwing all of these things under the rug, well maybe a large majority of human kind will look back, but I don't know..to me it does seem that history is indeed repeating itself.

I guess it's like this, I was watching on You Tube "Dear Kitty: Remembering Anne Frank" which is a short documentary about Miep Gies, one of the Frank families aids, who helped them hide from the Nazis in WW2 Holland. And one of the comments that made me think said: "1,750,671 views paris hilton stars are blind, 1,598 views "Dear Kitty" Remembering Anne Frank. i'm not sure what to make of it but it's sad"

I don't mean to be preachy or anything, but I too am sad, that such education is falling into the gutter. Does nobody care anymore on what happened? I do Sad

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
heartless
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: 2009 January 10, 03:01:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Needs moar fluffy skirts and short heels and catseye glasses.

I completely concur... I love wearing stuff like that. My boyfriend likes those clothes on me too, including my puffy petticoat, which makes me smile. Smiley
Ashbashtus
ARR!

Join us! We haz cookies!

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: 2009 January 10, 03:52:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And one of the comments that made me think said: "1,750,671 views paris hilton stars are blind, 1,598 views "Dear Kitty" Remembering Anne Frank. i'm not sure what to make of it but it's sad"

Honestly, stuff like that is why the world (America at least) is going down the toilet.

"Ook ook, eek eek, motherfucker" -Paden
ShakeShaft's a fucking thief and Thoma$$' little bitch.
TSR, the home of JesusDot
Safety Pins
Landlubber

Crazy Airship Wenches!

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: 2009 January 10, 06:35:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, and SafetyPins - linkage to the goodstuff?  Smiley

My apologies! Lips sealed

Right here.

What I thought I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1211 on: 2009 January 10, 06:57:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm almost 42.  Currently 36.

And I've always been crazy about history and odd facts.  Like Audrey Hepburn lived in Holland during the same time as Anne Frank, and in fact had family shot during the same time.  She thought that it was very likely that the group of three people mentioned in Anne Frank's diary included her family member [ I'd have to re-read for better details].

It bothers me alot, because right now, it seems like the Israelis learned the wrong lessons from the Nazis.  And no one wants to acknowledge that it was the Rom in those concentration camps first, not the Jews.  Its still okay to hate -them- because they don't have a country of their own, they don't pay taxes, they don't settle down like 'law-abiding' citizens.

Makes me sick, the whole mess - killing children on rooftops, making it nearly lethal to bury those children.  All we can do is try and shine as much light as we can, to balance it all.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1212 on: 2009 January 10, 07:52:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I'm sure there are - but with crime, and opinions about crime which leads to voting behaviours. History rarely leads to deaths of others

Not true. "Our people were here before your people/your people have always done evil things" etc. leads to death on a very massive scale on a very regular basis. Recently, not understanding the history of the Middle East has led people to do incredibly stupid things there, and to find justifications for them.

Fair enough - I suppose that's why you run. Cheesy But still, anecdata and misinformation can end up dictating my work conditions.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: 2009 January 10, 09:01:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Speaking of which, the youth-centric culture we've built for ourselves seems so disheartening to me. I heard "oh God, he's soooo old, what can he know about it?" somewhere the other day and it got me rather angry. If we refuse to learn from our elders then who are we learning from?
The elder generation has ALWAYS detested those damn kids throughout the span of recorded history. As such, it can be demonstrated mathematically that people have been in a state of decline for a very long time, each successive generation more horrid than the previous. How do we know this? Quite simple: If A > B, and B > C, then A > C. As each previous generation has complained about the successive generation, it stands to reason that GN > GN+1, and as such, G0 must be greater than GWhatever We Have Now.

The solution is quite simple: We must kill all of those damn kids!

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
decaffinatedmeowmix
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: 2009 January 10, 10:54:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Speaking of which, the youth-centric culture we've built for ourselves seems so disheartening to me. I heard "oh God, he's soooo old, what can he know about it?" somewhere the other day and it got me rather angry. If we refuse to learn from our elders then who are we learning from?
The elder generation has ALWAYS detested those damn kids throughout the span of recorded history. As such, it can be demonstrated mathematically that people have been in a state of decline for a very long time, each successive generation more horrid than the previous. How do we know this? Quite simple: If A > B, and B > C, then A > C. As each previous generation has complained about the successive generation, it stands to reason that GN > GN+1, and as such, G0 must be greater than GWhatever We Have Now.

The solution is quite simple: We must kill all of those damn kids!

Thanks for the laugh. I didn't get the whole number formulas but the last part was great!
(although I'm sure if I wanted to learnz the formulas I probably could, but it's late ya know? And I need more coffee or some other excuse not too.)
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 110 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: