PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 12:42:44

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap
0 Members and 4 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 110 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap  (Read 557414 times)
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
Re: Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap
« Reply #1080 on: 2008 December 14, 06:29:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Um, not sure about shiny, not sure about metallic... oh wait, is it just me or that texture a lot like tinfoil?

For the truly tacky or paranoid sim, tinfoil is the only way. Cheesy That annabell outfit is so cute - it has individual sequins.

I like both Count Orlock and Lestat (I've not read or seen twilight, but the odds are that I will find it at least tolerable if it has vampires), however, I'll probably never buy another Anne Rice book again because they've become turgid, religious and boring.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
PirateKingofWyrmSea
Landlubber

My old username was purged =(

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: 2008 December 14, 06:50:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hated that Robert Pattinson was casted as Edward on Twilight... with his greasy "dead animal" hair, yellow teeth, and broken nose... gross.
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1082 on: 2008 December 14, 13:56:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Speaking of talent, the first thought that crossed my mind on those swimsuits was tinfoil.  Hey didn't Devilfish have a hat to match them that she posted in another thread?

Did someone call for tin foil hats? Get yer tin foil hats! Now witch matching swimwear! Don't be caught unawares in any public or private pool! You're relaxing, but they're still out to get you!
« Last Edit: 2008 December 14, 15:04:45 by Devilfish » Logged

SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1083 on: 2008 December 14, 14:41:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was a member of a FanFiction writing group for Anne McCaffery's "Dragonrider" series. We did have official sanction from Anne herself. The groups she mainly "stomped" on were the 12's who wanted "pink or purple" dragons. And yes, it came from her agents and legal staff.

She also stomped all over people doing MUSHs, because they were putting out a computer game and her agents said we'd take away income from her.  Obviously the idiots didn't realize that a mush is -non-graphical- and if the game had been any good.....as it was, she was actually nice enough to let existing ones keep going.

The point is, alot of times, things like that comes from agents, not actually the authors.

And a shame, but not surprising to hear about Anne Rice, honestly.  Some people handle changed spirituality well - others are not nearly so graceful about it.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1084 on: 2008 December 14, 14:44:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unfortunately, Mamakitty, we live in a world that is about not what you know but who you know.  Especially if you're a writer.  The image of the reclusive writer is a fallacy.  Even Rowling knew someone who knew someone.  Its just how it works in the art world.  It doesn't necessarily matter how good your art is.  You can be out there showing it to all and sundry, but until a Someone Important comes along and sees it, the best you can ever hope to be is some hack for a big company.  Same with music, etc.  You have you get yourself out there, network a little.  Use your people skills, and if you don't have some, get some.  Then, perhaps, if you really are any good, you'll begin to make some headway.  Otherwise, you're just another one of the worlds many struggling artists.

That reminds me of a clever ploy a jewelry artist used to get some recognition - she sent a pair of earrings she'd designed to one of the local big three anchor women as a gift.  Of course the anchor woman wore them, getting her some exposure, and even mentioned who'd shed gotten them from.  The poor lady was flooded with orders after that.

Sometimes, you don't have to know someone, but just be a bit generous and clever.

www.thestormradio.com
Immortelle
ARR!

Thou damned and luxurious mountain goat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1085 on: 2008 December 14, 16:34:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The whole freebie trick is done in the fashion industry all the time.  Do you honestly think your A-list celebrities pay for those gorgeous gowns they are resplendent went they tread down the red carpet.  Of course not!  The majority of those gowns are given to them from major fashion houses, eager to insure that their House is the one everyone wants to buy from this year.  Target those who are seen the most publicly.  Its all about marketing and selling, something which most artists despise - see it as selling out.  Unfortunately, if you want to make a living out of art, not just merely a hobby, its what you have got to do.  Your creations effectively become nothing more than a product that must be sold to the public.

The women the Houses target the most are the 'It' girls.  Beyonce Knowles is generally off limits, as she mostly wears stuff from her mother's collection, but she has been known to wear Versace.  Jennifer Lopez used to be frequently seen in Valentino, but again she has her own line to promote these days (Sweetface.  For the past two years her collections have been panned by fashionistas, however.  Regarded as boring and unorigional, and even a little dated.)

My Sims 3 blog --> http://transimvaniaremixed.blogspot.com (no sparklies, I promise!)
iamawake
ARR!

Stamps rule!, I mean, suck!

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: 2008 December 14, 16:46:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought Lopez became a Cavalli girl when she got pregnant. I may be wrong, however.

Closeted stamp lover.
rogette
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: 2008 December 15, 05:55:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know.  It's pretty disheartening really.  A lot of the good quality new or younger generation of writers I've seen all post on the internet.  Most of them start with fanfiction to to build up a reputation of being able to write well.  I've looked into trying to get some of my work published before. The publishing companies won't even talk to you unless you have an agent; and the agents want to charge you outragious amounts to even look at your work.  At least this has been the case where ever I've been able to find.  Talent comes in a poor second in the money game.

(Apologies for delurking to post off topic)

I've never read or written fanfic, but I've had a fair bit of short litfic published. Reputable agents should not charge just to look at your work. I can point you to a few useful sites, but I don't know if I can post links here. PM me if you're interested. Also, if you prefer to have your work considered sans agent, take a look at small, independent publishers. Seal Press, which specializes in non-fiction books for women, is one example, and there are many more.
Skoria_Bay
ARR!

Give me a tall ship and star to sail her by

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: 2008 December 15, 06:24:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

She also stomped all over people doing MUSHs, because they were putting out a computer game and her agents said we'd take away income from her.  Obviously the idiots didn't realize that a mush is -non-graphical- and if the game had been any good.....as it was, she was actually nice enough to let existing ones keep going.

The point is, alot of times, things like that comes from agents, not actually the authors.

And a shame, but not surprising to hear about Anne Rice, honestly.  Some people handle changed spirituality well - others are not nearly so graceful about it.

That's right! I'd forgotten about that. Shows how old I'm getting. And our fanfiction wasn't bad. We didn't use any of the exiting characters, we simply used the universe and had our own weyr. And I haven't read any of the new books lately myself either by Anne McCaffrey or her son. I stopped reading Anne Rice's Vampire books after I finished "Tales of the Body Snatcher".

Pescado: I will THROW THEM IN A VAT OF BOILING SHARKS!
mustluvcatz: So, what good would a vat of boiling sharks do? I mean, wouldn't the sharks be dead?
Pescado: SILENCE!
MamaKitty
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: 2008 December 15, 08:41:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you rogette.  PM sent.
@Meanie-  I know, but if the internet is good for anything, its spreading information and getting to at least somewhat know people you would never have had an opportunity to before.  Twenty years ago almost no one where I live could say they knew someone from Australia, or could even really ask one how they felt about this issue or that issue.  So hopefully with time and work I can finally have the career I've wanted so for so long.  (Insert evil cackle) And then I shall write a tell all book exposing the seedy underside and dirty little secrets of fast food joints and retail sales.  As an added bonus I shall include the shameful misdeeds of TSR.  I shall bring them all to their knees.

Anywho...sorry about being off topic guys, I dont drink rum but I do have a case of Arrogant Bastard beer that might make up for things.
Scurvy Cat
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: 2008 December 15, 14:39:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Point of information--Important point of information for anyone who wants to get published. If an agent asks you for money up front beyond return postage for the manuscript or occasional office expenses like photocopying the manuscript run away, far away because s/he is conning you and will not get you published.   Legitimate agents get paid a percentage for selling the manuscript.  The main rule to remember to avoid being ripped off in the publishing industry is what is called Yog's Law: Money flows to the Author.

For more information go to the following sites:
http://www.sfwa.org/Beware/
http://accrispin.blogspot.com/ 

This has been a public service announcement, you may now return to your regularly scheduled Paysite Bashing.

Some people are like Slinkies.  Not much use but they always bring a smile when pushed down the stairs.
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1091 on: 2008 December 15, 15:11:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right, so, suppose the Maxis aliens bore you (provided you liked them in the first place), or you've got a lot of sci-fi cc and want some sims to match it, but for whatever reason you want to inject some alien flavour into your hoods. Who you gonna call? This TSR monstrosity?

Hell, it doesn't even work if you were looking for an ugly alien. It's simply badly made, the colors make my eyes bleed and it looks jagged. Just a sim with green skin and a pointy chin (and don't even get me started on the laser eyes). No, if you want your unattractive but well-made alien sim, something you can tell required some work instead of moving sliders about, what about one of these?

http://linna.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=231697
It looks like it's actually from another planet, it's still a damn ugly little critter but it's well-made, has a finished look and the color scheme required a little more thought than "Well, alien are green, right? NEON!"

http://ll30sims.moonfruit.com/#/linusloverssimspage2/4531208188
And if you were going for typical green alien that is not evil-looking, linuslover30 has that covered too.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 15, 17:18:22 by Devilfish » Logged

neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: 2008 December 15, 17:00:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What's with the pointy chins at TSR? Actually, Apartment Life had a bunch of Sims with weird pointy chins and noses, too.

dusdeedawn
Pirate

Baldercrap.

View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: 2008 December 15, 17:52:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think pointy chins have the ability to be attractive. However, I do not believe that that is what you get from T$R or EA. Much of what they do is not attractive. In fact, it makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a spork.

Shits and giggles? It looks like shit and we giggle. - Paden
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1094 on: 2008 December 15, 18:22:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I can make pointy chins look cute - here is a character I did for one of the contests I've tried.

I think she came out cute.

www.thestormradio.com
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 110 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: