PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 24, 18:31:16

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 110 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap  (Read 557168 times)
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
Re: Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap
« Reply #885 on: 2008 October 24, 20:42:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I came away from reading some of this wanting a stiff drink, a fat joint and lots of munchies, but that's just me on a Friday arriving late. Sure, the creators like Chaz think their shit is gorgeous but that's because he's not had his prescription for eyeglasses checked. And no, no one is forcing us to pay for downloads, but then again; for this game that doesn't belong to any of the custom content creators, no one should have to pay for the downloads. I'd paste up Pescado's macro about it, but too lazy to open botophukkit.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
oolongteadrinker
ARR!

yum?

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: 2008 October 24, 22:06:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hairstyle by Flora (Yes, XM is still a pseudo-paysite, but I still adore their hair, and they are still saying they want to release their sets for free, and don't forget that Helga had a payset, too, and is now loved by everyone...)

Because Helga is free.  Helga doesn't have any paysets.  That's why she's now loved by everyone.

As an actual freesite comparison to those two paysite hairs, cool sims:

Calalily ftw!
Anyerfillag
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: 2008 October 24, 23:14:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I came away from reading some of this wanting a stiff drink, a fat joint and lots of munchies, but that's just me on a Friday arriving late.

That would also have been me if it wasn't for a bunch of tossers who started a fight so bad they called in two riot police vans Shocked It happened so damn quick; one moment I'm at the bar next there's all sort of noises and mayhem from outside. They closed the bar at 11.15pm (its now 12.15pm) just because of that one fight!

PMBD - Its not a fake-ass glitter funfest where everyone is wonderful and luuuuved (Ashbashtus)
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #888 on: 2008 October 25, 02:44:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now I have a question: is this thread about
- comparing items that are free to items you'd have to pay for
or
- comparing items from free sites with items from paysites, no matter if the item in question is free or pay?

I always thought it's the first. That this thread is about comparing one free thing to a similar (in looks and (seem-to-be-) quality) pay item. I know that some people don't download from sites that have paysets, just because of their principles, and for these I'm glad about every alternative. But for all others IMHO everything that's free, no matter where it is published, should be considered.
So nobody needs to pay for the XMSims hair, but to have exactly the same style at Peggysims you'd need to pay. While the CS style is indeed similar it's not as similar to the pay hair as the XM hair is.

Second one, although it's more fair to compare an item that is actually pay right now on a paysite to a freesite item.  But since paysites aren't always the most creative, sometimes that's not possible.  And it should be the second one for a variety of reasons:

1. I wouldn't want to be lumped into the same group as a paysite, whether it was one pay file or fifty thousand pay files.  I don't think it sends the right message if we actually want paying for content to be stopped.  We're sending the message that they can all have a couple of payfiles - and I'm sure my site visitors would take a very dim view of me setting up donation files even if only a couple. It also denigrates the totally free site - what is the point in being totally free if you're not getting the exclusive kudos of being free - might as well put up a couple of donation files, and we're back where we started.

2. Those free things are put there to lure people into paying. They're not there as a kindness, but as a lure to make you pay.

3. We're driving traffic to paysites (with people who might pay instead of using the booty) rather than to freesites. 

Pretty. I'd never seen that sims-site Cala. Wink

I know - isn't it wonderful.  Kiss

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: 2008 October 25, 04:08:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TSR has free items, but most of the ones I've seen are free recolours of a pay mesh. Not very kind at all. You can get the meshes from the Booty, sure, but you still have to muck around trying to find decent recolours on their disorganized search engine. That place is such a mishmash of the frightening and the not so bad that my mind shorts out after one page.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: 2008 October 25, 16:55:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I was thinking when I started this thread was that we would take a pay item (not free items from paysites) and compare it to a similar free item from a free site. The pay item doesn't even need to be awful, just an item that has an equal or better free counterpart. No free Peggy, TSR or other paysites free items qualify as free alternatives or crappy examples IMO. It's like they don't exist. In TSR's case, they can always become pay later and with Peggy or others, the free items only exist to advertise the pay items.

It's a little different with XM sims though. They remain technically a paysite though I think it's more sloppiness than to lure subscribers. They stopped creating donation files more than 2 years ago, they promised to release all those files and began to, but never finished. They started releasing things to Simmer Valley (which you became a part of if you subscribed or uploaded a creation) first, then a month or so later to everyone else, though that seems to have stopped now. They are a good alternative to Peggy, even if they still have a handful of lame object and clothing pay sets. I can't believe anyone subscribes with the thought of getting those particular items. I don't have a problem with using them as free alternatives, but I understand the argument against it.

« Last Edit: 2008 October 25, 19:05:30 by redisenchanted » Logged
jilly
ARR!

dumber than EVAR

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: 2008 October 27, 02:52:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This fits:

vs

Yay! http://www.noukiesims2.net/tiny/index.php?PHPSESSID=88da8cb341ae4a1af606d68d7d247ec9&topic=42.0
Sigmund
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: 2008 October 28, 04:05:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, now hopefully I'm doing this right... *looks around*

Very pretty candles from MTS2 that I use constantly:

And these candles from TSR:

I'm crossing my fingers that I posted these pictures correctly...

I sing along with elevator music.
dusdeedawn
Pirate

Baldercrap.

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: 2008 October 28, 04:34:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mmmmm. I love buggybooz' candle set. Those other ones are weird. Are they supposed to be striped?  Huh

Shits and giggles? It looks like shit and we giggle. - Paden
Erhama
ARR!

Cake

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: 2008 October 28, 12:01:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Crap wannabe windows from Spaik, wannabe due to copying Marylou's idea.

Better, much more expanded(Doors and Windows) for all wall types and centered options and uses the repository technique Cheesy

I'm a 12 and I eat shit with a cherry on top.
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #895 on: 2008 October 28, 12:16:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, now hopefully I'm doing this right... *looks around*

Very pretty candles from MTS2 that I use constantly:

Oh, I hadn't seen those before! Very nice, thanks for posting them! The other... I had seen. Meh.

SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #896 on: 2008 October 28, 13:31:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heck, even my candles look better than the pay and they're just recolours/resizes of the eaxis holiday candle.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
dusdeedawn
Pirate

Baldercrap.

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: 2008 October 28, 18:59:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have your candles, Soggy, and I like them lots!  Kiss  Grin Those TSR ones aren't cutting it, not one bit.

Shits and giggles? It looks like shit and we giggle. - Paden
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #898 on: 2008 October 28, 19:48:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm crossing my fingers that I posted these pictures correctly...

Oh, and yes you did, good pirate. Have a cookie  Grin

Remember, for future reference, hotlinking from paysites is allowed and encouraged.

jilly
ARR!

dumber than EVAR

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: 2008 October 28, 20:16:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fail Caprese by SA99

OMNOMNOM-worthy sandwiches from mts2

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=188868
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 110 Print 
« previous next »