PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 02:18:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap
0 Members and 3 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 110 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap  (Read 557204 times)
Yaardarm Monkey II
ARR!

still the same simian of plunder

View Profile
Re: Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap
« Reply #540 on: 2008 September 10, 04:37:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never really had a problem with the what people call the Aussie accent. Boston, yes. Aussie, no.

Cheesy  omfg, Boston accents are simply unreal

I was outside Boston and asked at the hotel bar where Concord was; the local had no idea what I was talking about!

I pronounced it: con (like a criminal) - cord (like twine or rope)

He pronounced it:  cawn (pawn, but with a K or C and more emphasis on the aa) - caad (like cad, a despicable person...only more aa)

Shocked
Feverish
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: 2008 September 10, 04:44:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pok the cah.

"Second thing: if you come out of the disabled toilet to find someone waiting on you, scream, "it's a miracle!" and dance the hell out of there."
   ~Paden
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #542 on: 2008 September 10, 05:02:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I understood the seagulls pretty well!  Cheesy

I think most USians would understand Aussies if they saw it on movies - but movie executives seem to think you're all dimwits. I think the slang would probably be the biggest problem - being rooted means something else entirely (and often throws USians).

I spent the summer there and didn't run into a single Aussie who spoke proper English  Wink

Speech is pretty casual here - plus there's the whole country/macho thing of trying to move your mouth as little as possible.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Feverish
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: 2008 September 10, 05:11:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was chatting with an Australian years back and I told him I was pissed. He thought I meant drunk. I meant angry.

"Second thing: if you come out of the disabled toilet to find someone waiting on you, scream, "it's a miracle!" and dance the hell out of there."
   ~Paden
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: 2008 September 10, 06:09:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One year, we had an Aussie girl and boy as exchange students at our high school and I got to be pretty good friends with them. They told me some of the slang and we compared how different it was. I'd ask Alan, "Did you get pissed over the weekend?" And he would answer, "Too right, and the host parents got pretty pissed at me for being pissed!" We had so much fun with that.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: 2008 September 10, 06:31:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Everything here is pretty casual. So our English reflects that. I live and work in Sydney, where the charming Australian slang has given away to more international swearwords. But pissed still remains! To be pissed means to be totally shitfaced Tongue

I just mentioned that because it's been YEARS since I have heard anyone say "rooted" in that context. I still hear "G'day" and even I use the word "mate" sometimes. I dunno if it's sexy, but I know a South African friend of mine (with a sinfully sexy accent) who remarked that Aussies always tilt the last syllable so it sounds like we are asking questions, even though we are just commenting on the weather  Cheesy

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #546 on: 2008 September 10, 07:37:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just mentioned that because it's been YEARS since I have heard anyone say "rooted" in that context.

It's foremost in my mind because we just got "Meet the Feebles" on DVD - that Australian crab.  Cheesy

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
kenmtl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: 2008 September 10, 13:47:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My oldest brother actually lives in Aussieland, he moved there many years ago and his 2 kids now speak English with that accent. You'd never know we where from the same family, it's kinda fun actually. Mine is more Canadian sounding because that's what I learnt and my fathers is more British because that's what he learnt. I'm the youngest of 7 kids and we're quite spread out so it's all become very UNish. I think when you're accustomed to hearing heavy accents regularly you almost don't notice any more. You develop a habit of just listening for content and the delivery sort fades away. I least that's what I find.

I remember going to Scotland once when I was young and someone was trying to speak to me, I just stood there with a retarded grin on my face nodding thinking, wtf language is he talking. Now I really enjoy the Scottish accent a lot. Like a lot (sexytime). There's a great British film maker I like but I have to watch some of his films with subtitles otherwise it goes right over my head.

I'm in ur forums propagating ur discussions
Like free shit? Me too. Get it here!
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #548 on: 2008 September 10, 15:24:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I rarely have a problem with any accents at least understanding them - what usually drives me nuts are when people try to sound american and can't - I don't mind the ones who do, but when they come short, I'd rather they just use their own native accents.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: 2008 September 10, 15:36:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think I've heard any bad American accents, although Coolington does an atrocious Scottish one.

I hate ads made in the US, and then dubbed over with Aussie voices.  We can tell ad companies - be less stingy and make another bloody ad.

Visit Calalilysims

SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: 2008 September 10, 15:49:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember who I was trying to think of Nicole Kidman has a horrid american accent - maybe it was the region, but....it sounded okay then she'd hit a word and it would sound like something completely clashing.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Piratey
ARR!

Zombie Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: 2008 September 10, 16:42:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After living in the UK for a few years now I've kinda developed a posh British accent, and lost my Australian one a little bit (although now everyone finds the mixture quite sexy back home Cool). People often ask me to do an Australian accent, it's weird though, as I can do many accents other than Australian. It's something I honestly don't know how to do; it was always something I just happened to do. Weird.
cookiepirate
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: 2008 September 10, 18:52:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Being from the south, slang and slang descriptive phrases are a big part of my speech.  I can't just say "It's hot outside" but something like "It's so hot you could fry an egg outside".  Not to mention all the gonna, fixin' to, and ya'll's.  Of course, when I want to make a point or comparision, I always start with "I tell you what".  Hubby, who learned British English, says the weirdest is when I say "Can I see fill in some object", when what I REALLY mean is "Pass me the...."  But he's used to my slang now, and even sounds southern himself (last visit to the states, they thought he WAS southern, and he got hit with the other southen tradition of "telling personal stuff to total strangers"), but I warned him about that one.

~ the happy little cookiepirate ~
Cookie Cannibal
MONDAYS - A terrible way to spend 1/7th of your life
mando
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: 2008 September 11, 01:09:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do have the weird habit of using "borrow" and "steal" when I'm speaking casually as replacements for "take" and "borrow" (i.e. saying "Can I borrow a bit of that?" when someone has food or drinks they're giving out, which is weird in that I have no intention of returning it and that no one would want it back if I did Wink; and saying "Can I steal that?", when I just want to borrow something for a moment, e.g. a pen). I don't know if it's common slang because I don't notice if anyone else does it when speaking to me (plus, any time I say it around my family the general response is, "Well you're not stealing/borrowing anything..."). Maybe it's a west coast Canadianism? Does anyone else use it? (And we have three versions of "pissed" in common usage in Vancouver, we're so versatile Cheesy)
LadyDea
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: 2008 September 11, 02:09:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do that too, Mando. I don't really think about it when I do it, but I don't really hear other people use it either. "I can steal this for a moment?" I actually think I started using "steal" in that context after PotC and my pirate obsession began. I also use "aye" and occasionally "ahoy" too. XD

From Manitoba, if that means anything.

Come visit Sammytopia
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 110 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: