PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 24, 10:04:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 110 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap  (Read 557144 times)
falln_angel
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap
« Reply #1545 on: 2009 June 20, 18:17:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What else could they do? Lots! As CatOfWar said, they could have punished the thief thieves. When it came out into the open that Shakeshaft is a thief, they could have stripped her* of her FA title, stopped paying her and/or made a public example of her. Something to show that they actually give a crap.

As I said, in the case of Shakeshaft, they are entirely wrong.  Shakeshaft should have been punished.  I was only talking about the case of the stolen Diagon Alley.  Once they were informed it was stolen, they removed it.   I don't even know who uploaded it, but if it was the first time they'd been caught stealing, TSR is likely to send them a letter to tell them what they did and what action was taken.  Again, only in this one situation am I giving them credit for doing the right thing.  In the case of Shakeshaft, no, they did the wrong thing all the way.

What about Monica? Still an SA. Stolen meshes, at least some of them, still on the site. (You can't just slap on a pencil or shift some cushions around and call it your own original mesh.) Their manner of dealing with Shakeshaft is not an isolated incident, it's a pattern.

Of course they were never going to do something like this because it doesn't fit with their twisted moral code, but that's a bullshit excuse. Even if the T$R powers that be weren't directly responsible for the actuall thefts, helping the thieves sweep the matter under the rug and go on as though nothing happened makes them accessories after the fact, at best. Extreme example, but if a woman knows that her son is molesting his daughter/niece/neighbour's kid and chooses to do nothing about it, we don't forgive her by saying, "Well, what could she have done? It was her son, after all!" Likewise, I'm not about to forgive T$R for allowing this thievery to continue unpunished by saying, "They deleted the stolen content. What more could they have done? These people make them money!"
What do you want them to do to the person with the diagon Alley?  Not shakeshaft, just this ONE incident?  Do you want them to scream from the rooftops that they are a thief?  Again, is this the person's first offense?  Is it a misunderstanding?

A misunderstanding?!? We're not talking about someone who recoloured a clothing mesh and then uploaded the mesh with the recolour. That happens on other sites, usually with permission and credit given. I can understand someone being confused at the distinction there... but that's not what this person did. They took a complete lot, including the bleeding preview picture, and uploaded it at another site claiming it as their own. They'd have to be pretty brain damaged to not understand how that was wrong.

And no, I don't want T$R to scream from the rooftops. That would be pretty pointless given that only people in their neighbourhood would hear them, and the odds of any of those people even knowing what they're talking about is probably pretty slim. What I do want them to do is make an announcement about how they're not going to continue to tolerate theft. Maybe something like a 1-week ban for a first offence, and a perma-ban if the person gets caught a second time. And then I need to see evidence that their threats are being carried out. (No activity from Monica for an entire week, or whatever.)

They've perma-banned people for the 'crime' of being suspected members of this site - it's not like they're against banning.

And I don't consider this to be unwarranted shouting of "EVIL EVIL EVIL!" T$R's behaviour regarding theft has been, and continues to be, absolutely despicable. (Not to mention hypocritical given that in their minds you can apparently take someone's mesh and sell it as your own, no problem, but take someone's mesh and give it to your friend and you're a dirty thief.)
Again, you're throwing other incidents in with this one and basically saying that because TSR handled the case of Shakeshaft in a lousy way, they handled this one in a lousy way too.   Not true.  They deleted the item fairly quickly.  We don't have any clue what was done behind the scenes.

I'm 'throwing other incidents in with this one' because they're relevant. They all demonstrate the same pattern of behaviour. And even if wossname who uploaded the Diagon Alley lot was punished behind the scenes, that's not good enough. I don't want to see this particular person's head on a pike, especially since they're pretty small potatoes compared to other people doing the same thing. But by doing nothing, at least publicly, T$R is endorsing this activity. So you can steal lot, meshes, etc. to your heart's content as long as you don't get caught. And if you do get caught, all that happens is that the download gets deleted and you go on as if nothing happened. That's not right.

(Also, I know that the child molester thing isn't a fair comparison, which is why I preceded that with "Extreme example".)

Edited to fix Monica's title - SA, not FA, and again because of super-crap grammar that slipped in there.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 25, 18:18:06 by falln_angel » Logged

Twilight is that movie where angsty vampires do each other’s makeup in high school, right? And instead of sunlight exploding them, it turns their skin into body glitter? I’m not judging you, man. That’s a really, really cool thing to enjoy. --Seanbaby
Souvenirs
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: 2009 June 20, 20:14:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't believe TSR moderates uploads whatsoever: just look at all the clearly stolen, floodfilled, and sometimes near obscene content all over the site.  There's no way any of that would get past any kind of upload moderator.  They probably accept everything because it ups their "thousands of free downloads!" number (classic quantity over quality), not to mention that they don't have to pay anyone to go through new uploads.  Seriously, TSR contains so much crap that I think of it as a pay version of the exchange.

Again, the stolen content is hard to tell, unless you want to be moderating all sites.  And by quality control, I mostly mean that they make sure the pictures of the items actually are the items, and that you've done it properly.  I once got a rejection for making a mistake in the files I sent.  

I can't even really fault TSR for being practically a cesspool of flotsam and jetsam, with a fair number of just usable items, and a few jewels. TSR has always been of the opinion that they'll take anyone, from someone making their first flood-filled wall to an expert mesher.  (Not that they have lots of the later, and too many of the first)  And, in a way, they've got something there.  At least with me, when I started creating, I submitted to TSR, because I wasn't sure if my stuff was any good, but I figured that it at least couldn't be the worst thing on the site.  

Ah, okay.  By quality control I was thinking of the kind MTS has, where everything has to be okayed by a moderator before it's posted.  And, as for stolen stuff, I've seen things on TSR where the preview picture has had someone else's name in gigantic letters (I think I saw LAPink eyes upoaded by someone who clearly wasn't icedmango/LAPink but used her preview picture), and I guess I expect anyone to notice when the name on the preview picture is wrong.  It's weird to me that they wouldn't at least screen for inappropriate content too, since they're so bent on being family friendly.

The fact that they'll accept anyone is the one reason I don't blame people for uploading to TSR.  If you want to upload to MTS you risk getting rejected, and I'm sure that hurts.  

No, I have not gone over to the darkside.   Wink  I just get worried that it's too easy to jump up and yell "EVIL EVIL EVIL!" when TSR so much as collectively farts.  The problem with yelling "EVIL EVIL!" is that you start to look as if you're not listening to logic and thus, people start thinking that you are completely unable to be fair.

This is the thing—I don't want anyone to think I'm excusing anything TSR does, but when we jump on every little incident (especially the ones like the stolen BlackOrchid lot, where it's mostly not TSR's fault), it makes us look silly, like we're looking for anything to attack.  It lessens our credibility.  With TSR doing things like hacking into Buggybooz's account and sharing personal info, we have enough proof that TSR is corrupt without having to look like we're part of a conspiracy that will do anything to shame them (which is exactly what they want people to think).
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: 2009 June 20, 20:42:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, okay.  By quality control I was thinking of the kind MTS has, where everything has to be okayed by a moderator before it's posted.  And, as for stolen stuff, I've seen things on TSR where the preview picture has had someone else's name in gigantic letters (I think I saw LAPink eyes upoaded by someone who clearly wasn't icedmango/LAPink but used her preview picture), and I guess I expect anyone to notice when the name on the preview picture is wrong.  It's weird to me that they wouldn't at least screen for inappropriate content too, since they're so bent on being family friendly.

That's always got to me too, but I never asked.  I think though, that the attitude is that as long as you haven't made the Sim anatomically correct, then it's no worse than a barbie doll.  They don't seem to understand that suggestive clothing is suggestive, and even suggestions can be adult.  To them, I think it's black and white.  "No nipple, no pubes, no problem!"  I have strong disagreements with that, because as most people can and will tell you, it's not only what you show, it can also be what you don't show. 

The fact that they'll accept anyone is the one reason I don't blame people for uploading to TSR.  If you want to upload to MTS you risk getting rejected, and I'm sure that hurts.

It's also just not knowing at first.  Ever make something that you knew was just wonderful, then six months later you look at it and go, "Ew, I made that?"   I think we've all done that.  So, it's easier to start with TSR, where you know that unless you really and truly go out of your way to  make something hideous, your item will never be even close to the worst one on the place. TSR is like putting on training wheels when you first go to ride a bike. 

This is the thing—I don't want anyone to think I'm excusing anything TSR does, but when we jump on every little incident (especially the ones like the stolen BlackOrchid lot, where it's mostly not TSR's fault), it makes us look silly, like we're looking for anything to attack.  It lessens our credibility.  With TSR doing things like hacking into Buggybooz's account and sharing personal info, we have enough proof that TSR is corrupt without having to look like we're part of a conspiracy that will do anything to shame them (which is exactly what they want people to think).

Thank you, that's exactly what I was trying to say, but couldn't seem to find the words.   

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Ashbashtus
ARR!

Join us! We haz cookies!

View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: 2009 June 20, 21:09:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's also just not knowing at first.  Ever make something that you knew was just wonderful, then six months later you look at it and go, "Ew, I made that?"   I think we've all done that.  So, it's easier to start with TSR, where you know that unless you really and truly go out of your way to  make something hideous, your item will never be even close to the worst one on the place. TSR is like putting on training wheels when you first go to ride a bike. 

Thats how I felt about TSR. Granted I never uploaded anything and have only done really basic recoloring, but I was active on the forums. When I was a newb, the forum tended to make me feel comfortable when I first started downloading. I always felt I could ask questions without feeling stupid. If I had CC talent, I probably would have uploading to TSR first. TSR did do a good job to give itself the cover of being full of sunshine and rainbows. This was all before I knew about the EULA, FA's, and all their antics.

"Ook ook, eek eek, motherfucker" -Paden
ShakeShaft's a fucking thief and Thoma$$' little bitch.
TSR, the home of JesusDot
falln_angel
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: 2009 June 20, 21:19:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's always got to me too, but I never asked.  I think though, that the attitude is that as long as you haven't made the Sim anatomically correct, then it's no worse than a barbie doll.  They don't seem to understand that suggestive clothing is suggestive, and even suggestions can be adult.  To them, I think it's black and white.  "No nipple, no pubes, no problem!"  I have strong disagreements with that, because as most people can and will tell you, it's not only what you show, it can also be what you don't show.

I've seen worse than just suggestive clothing get through their 'quality control'. Behold, TSR FA bathing suit with painted-on vag!!

Twilight is that movie where angsty vampires do each other’s makeup in high school, right? And instead of sunlight exploding them, it turns their skin into body glitter? I’m not judging you, man. That’s a really, really cool thing to enjoy. --Seanbaby
ScooterBabe
ARR!

Take that, Jack Sparrow!

View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: 2009 June 21, 02:59:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've seen worse than just suggestive clothing get through their 'quality control'. Behold, TSR FA bathing suit with painted-on vag!!

Oh, shit! I didn't need to see that. Must. Use. Eye Bleach. NOW! Lips sealed

Empress Paden's reaction to T$R: "I'll use my free will to spit in their eye and tell them to go take a flying fornication at a rapidly turning breakfast pastry before ever they see a dime outta me."
CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: 2009 June 21, 04:44:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can understand folks wanting a non-threatening forum where they can ask "dumb" questions, but can't they do that on MTS?  I have seen great questions there, but also some truly dumb ones, and the worst that happens is they get pointed to the appropriate FAQ that they should have read.  Nobody screams LURK MOAR or calls them stupid, it's not even remotely like MATY.  There's much better tutorials there than T$R and more knowledgeable people to answer questions.  Yes, they reject uploads, but they're not nasty about it.  They offer suggestions for making things better.  There's a forum where you can show your work in progress, get feedback on it from experienced creators and mods, and polish it up before uploading.  The MTS environment helps people improve as creators and encourages them to learn.  To me, it has always felt quite friendly, never intimidating nor exclusionary.

What could be done to convince someone who's nervous about creating that MTS doesn't bite?  If T$R is perceived as a warm welcoming site, what can free sites do to compete?  Answer questions on the BBS, with links to tutorials and create forums?

SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1552 on: 2009 June 21, 18:02:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And if it helps to know this, even featured creators get rejected O.o [On MTS]

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
marikocha
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: 2009 June 25, 17:37:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I think it's just the little ego boost of "my stuff isn't going to be the worst piece of shit on this site," whereas at MTS, they actually have quality control. Your best effort slipped in amongst stuff by Bruno, Adele, Nouk, Buggybooz, phoenix_phaerie, HP, teru_k... It can be intimidating.
dstar
ARR!

The Best Things in Life Are Free

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1554 on: 2009 June 25, 18:11:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes but at TSR if you aren't any good at all - you feel like you are just one more piece of shit floating down the stream- Talent does not mean you get to be an FA- The ability to get along with the management is what makes you an FA- There are talented FA's and SA's but they are few and far between - Most of them are FA's because they have the ability to go along with what people like Thomass and Atwat want - legal or not. At places like MTS or Black Pearl Sims -when you get an item accepted it gives you a sense of triumph because it means that Delphy, HystericalParoxysym and the other site admins and creators that review uploads think that you have the potential to be a new Adele, Ailias, Guatla, Maylin, or Bruno if you keep creating and keep working hard- that sense of triumph and accomplishment is worth more than what you get at TSR and you get the same exact supportive environment.

100% Free Finds All the Time from 100% Free Sites
http://www.freesimsfinds.com
http://www.sailfinsims.com
simsrocks
ARR!

Sparkle

View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: 2009 June 25, 19:26:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Exactly.

At Modthesims, being a featured creator gives you a sense of honour, and respect from the newbies to creating like me, who wishes she could be as good as the people who's CC she downloads and uses in her game everyday.Where would I be without Nouk's hair? How can I landscape without HP's Shrubby shrubs? It's more then just a name, it's a guarantee of quality, and something to be proud of and aspire. I someday wish to be featured.

But at TSR, it's just a name. No sense of honour for being paid for pixels, no respect from anyone. Sure, some might, but most people just comment for the points.

I link to modthesims for game help on the BBS, because it's a good source of help and advice for everything Simmie.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 25, 19:38:07 by simsrocks » Logged
dstar
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1556 on: 2009 June 25, 19:40:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think honestly that Delphy could use that to get new members and creators away from TSR were he so inclined.

All he would have to say to downloaders/gamers is " Look unlike TSR we are free, we have an amazing support staff and amazing community members who are always supportive of your meat life situations and always willing to help out with problems with your game or CC or to help you find an item your are dying to have or  give you tips and tricks that will make playing easier. " You don't have to pay for that sense of community here and if we say we want to help- it is genuine"

For creators he could simply tell them about the Creators Forums and Discussion Groups and offer them the opportunity to receive mentoring from creators like Adele, Guatla etc- many of the most popular creators are on the boards daily dispensing advice to newer creators on how to make their content better. That sort of support does not exist at TSR- I think Darqstar and others who were once submitters of SA's there other than myself could tell you that for a new creator to improve to the point that they get offered FA or SA is the last thing that most FA's want because  I suspect how much they make is percentage of the  Paid Subs x how many FA's there are creating at a given time x the number of  sub -downloads per FA. E.G you get promoted to FA and your work is popular with the 12's they make less moneys. I never received on bit of help from FA's who create lots there other than thanking me for promoting their stuff by including it in my lot.

CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: 2009 June 25, 20:02:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While I'm not a fan of creepy, bloodsucking stalker boys, I do appreciate Vera Marina's sim depiction of them. Wink

Vera Marina's Edward Cullen at MTS (free)

Jirka's constipated, angry, photoskinned Edward Cullen (pay)
originally found by Nietzche

dstar
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1558 on: 2009 June 25, 20:17:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't normally like celeb Sims but I have a few of Vera Marina's celeb or book/movie character Sims in my game and she always does such an excellent job- Her Snape is terrifyingly accurate.

Lady Vader
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: 2009 June 25, 21:03:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since we're on the subject of making/throwing-their-photos-into-a-coffe-grinder-and-passing-the-effect-as-a-sim-celeb again...

Keira Knightley by Chaz at TSR:

And for comparison Bruno's classic free version from MTS:

Madonna by Jirka at TSR - say what you want about Madonna, but seriously, even she doesn't deserve this:

For comparison another free classic by Bruno at MTS:
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 110 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: