PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 07:32:22

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Poor Atwat....
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 133 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Poor Atwat....  (Read 592936 times)
kenmtl
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Poor Atwat....
« Reply #1005 on: 2008 July 14, 12:58:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On the subject of perception, here's a fun left/right brain thing that's kind of amusing.

Dancer

One day at uni I had 5 or 6 people all standing around my comp staring at it. At first everyone saw the same thing, then they started to see it change at different times. It was interesting that no two people saw the change happen at the same time. It was quite funny seeing their reactions when it happened. I got a little OCD for awhile about trying to control it.

I'm in ur forums propagating ur discussions
Like free shit? Me too. Get it here!
glasscigarette
ARR!

El que calla, otorga.

View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: 2008 July 14, 13:03:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No matter how long I stare, it keeps going clockwise. Maybe I'm just too impatient. Is there a certain point I should focus on to "make" it appear to turn the opposite direction, or did I just not give it enough time?

I can has vagina dentata plz?
Proud member of the Official Coconut Fan Club!
kenmtl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: 2008 July 14, 13:17:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually I also see it totally clockwise, but I find that if I stare at the foot on the ground and focus really hard on making it change, I can sometimes get it to happen.
You have to be patient though it can take awhile

Like more than 8:58:15 till 9:03:24.

*Sorry GC  but I had to tease you on that one  Wink

I'm in ur forums propagating ur discussions
Like free shit? Me too. Get it here!
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1008 on: 2008 July 14, 13:17:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I originally saw it going clockwise, but I can change it at will.  What I do is let my eyes unfocus and look at the shadow on the bottom. 

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: 2008 July 14, 13:24:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahhhh creepy.... I looked away for one second and then it went the other way Cheesy

Inactive
glasscigarette
ARR!

El que calla, otorga.

View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: 2008 July 14, 13:50:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have to be patient though it can take awhile

Like more than 8:58:15 till 9:03:24.

*Sorry GC  but I had to tease you on that one  Wink

Pfffff...longer than five minutes? Not interested.  Wink

Hey, a shiny thing! *wanders away*

I can has vagina dentata plz?
Proud member of the Official Coconut Fan Club!
fhat cat
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: 2008 July 14, 15:08:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, I first saw it clockwise and now it's appearing counter-clockwise.
celligirl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: 2008 July 14, 16:05:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never been able to see that dancer spinning anything but clockwise, no matter how long I've stared and tried to make my brain see differently. But then all of these right/left tests I take -- even ones with psychologists way back when -- seem to indicate that I'm so right brained that one wonders if I even have a left hemisphere. No wonder I do math differently than everyone else I know. And why I always sucked at math in school because I could never show my work. 'Cuz I don't do it in steps, you see. That never made sense to me and I always got so frustrated (sometimes to the point of tears) in math class. When the right/left stuff became popular, people started having an indication as to why I got the right answer, but not the "right" way. Smiley

A string quartet: A good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and a person who hates violins.
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1013 on: 2008 July 14, 16:14:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here is a blog article that disagrees with the spinning dancer's predictions:

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/23/right-versus-left-brain-what-does-the-spinning-dancer-teach-us/

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
CaptainChris
ARR!

Picture it, Sicily 1922....

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: 2008 July 14, 16:30:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hrmm, I was able to get to to switch directions at will.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1015 on: 2008 July 14, 16:43:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can make it switch by focusing on different points.  Like kenmtl it fascinated me - like I was trying to beat some stupid game.  Cheesy

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1016 on: 2008 July 14, 16:51:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I spent too much time trying to figure out how the programming might have worked (the thing kept switching directions the whole time as I was trying to figure it out). I haven't yet...I know there is some optical trick there, but I can't seem to grok it. Meanwhile, she turns to the left, then turns to the right, then turns to the left, then turns to the right....

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
Piratey
ARR!

Zombie Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: 2008 July 14, 16:56:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Somehow, I can just "make" it switch directions at will. Just this mean I'm middle brained or something? Cheesy Interesting though.
falln_angel
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: 2008 July 14, 17:45:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That dancing girl thing is freaking me out. At first she was stubbornly refusing to turn counter-clockwise, but I eventually realised that I can make her change direction by staring just past the left-hand edge of my monitor and visualizing myself grabbing her leg and spinning her the other way. (She has yet to change direction 'live'.) The weirdest part is that once I've turned her, if I go away and come back she'll be spinning in the same direction I left her in (as opposed to reverting to clockwise, which is what I would have guessed).

Celligirl, I was kind of the same way with math in school, especially with geometry. I used to frustrate my teachers because I'd usually get the right answer but never be able to show my work. How was I supposed to do that, though, when my method consisted of drawing random shapes and moving them around in my head for a while until I suddenly knew the answer was 42 degrees?

Twilight is that movie where angsty vampires do each other’s makeup in high school, right? And instead of sunlight exploding them, it turns their skin into body glitter? I’m not judging you, man. That’s a really, really cool thing to enjoy. --Seanbaby
Zillah
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1019 on: 2008 July 14, 18:11:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At first she was cc'wise for me and wouldn't change, but by watching her outstretched arm instead of her body, I was able to start switching her direction. As far as the blog goes:
Here is a blog article that disagrees with the spinning dancer's predictions:
http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/23/right-versus-left-brain-what-does-the-spinning-dancer-teach-us/

has anyone but me ever read Freakonomics? It's a totally fascinating book.
z

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 133 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: