PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 13:11:21

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Reduce Demand! Download from Free Sites Instead!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Reduce Demand! Download from Free Sites Instead!  (Read 36694 times)
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
Reduce Demand! Download from Free Sites Instead!
« Reply #120 on: 2008 January 20, 22:44:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, this is my plan from Godaddy:
Deluxe Plan
100 GB Disk Space
1,000 GB Data Transfer

You get your choice of linux or windows platform, and like 25 SQL databases. It isn't bad at all. It's still shared hosting, but I haven't had any speed issues on this plan. The basic plan is $3.99 and has something like 5GB of disk space and 250GB transfer, but the basic shared server was too slow to host a forum on. But really, for a basic sims site sans forum, that's a pretty reasonable package. Even when I was on disability and couldn't even afford $4 a month extra, I always had a kind person or two donate to cover it. There is NO excuse for a paysite.

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
euterpe
ARR!

Fresh cookies are always necessary!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2008 January 21, 20:56:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read this thread yesterday morning, thought about it, and spent the rest of the day at a site that I've only visited sporadically before--MTS2.  

I'm still just scratching the surface, but I've downloaded tons of free stuff I didn't even realize was available, and bookmarked dozens of artists whose work I'd only scanned before.

And I realized something about my downloading habits:  For me, it's not a matter of "this is better stuff because it's pay".  It's just been a matter of convenience.  I got into the habit of going to certain pay sites, giving a little money here and there, and downloading the things that appealed to me.  Why?  Because I was so eager to spend my limited free time playing that I didn't want to spend more time looking around for new sites to find free downloads, or plowing through huge sites like MTS2 to find what I wanted.

Am I ready to discard everything pay from my downloads folder?  Probably not--hey, I'm honest.  But am I going to be discarding a lot of pay stuff in favor of free stuff?  You betcha.

So I guess I'm learning Smiley  Not 100% there yet, and may never be.  But I can see having an 85-90% downloads folder that's from free sites in my not-too-distant future.

Trolls you have been warned: I survived the Great Troll-Off of '08
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2008 January 21, 21:06:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I actually think it's a lot easier than it was six or twelve months ago, because back then there was almost no free hair (barring the fabulous Nouk) and nearly no free pay objects.. Now that there are a lot of free creators doing objects, it's not a hardship to have all or mostly free stuff.

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
euterpe
ARR!

Fresh cookies are always necessary!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 2008 January 21, 21:30:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For me it's never been hair...I've just not been into different hairstyles that much (until I started d'loading Nouk's!).  For me it's always been clothes and furniture and gadgets.  It's a lot more difficult and time-consuming to go out and find new and quality things when you're in the habit of going to a few major paysites and just taking what's available there.  

But I'm slowly learning.  Of course, it's taking time away from my game-playing, but I'm enjoying playing more because I know I'm not supporting those who are just in the process to make a buck or two.

Trolls you have been warned: I survived the Great Troll-Off of '08
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: 2008 January 22, 01:03:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm with you. My buy mode folder is bigger than all the others combined, and that's not including cars. I can't help myself...

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 2008 January 22, 22:49:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My only pay stuff weakness is Wood For Sims and Holy Simoly

MAYBE some payhairs (but interestingly only the bobs.. I have this thing for short hair)

But the rest is all free. Free stuff has the most variety IMO.

Smiley

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: 2008 January 23, 04:58:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "deelink"
My only pay stuff weakness is Wood For Sims and Holy Simoly

MAYBE some payhairs (but interestingly only the bobs.. I have this thing for short hair)

But the rest is all free. Free stuff has the most variety IMO.

Smiley

If you want the most gorgeous bob you've ever seen - Carnaby Sims has it - it's gorgeous.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2008 January 23, 05:14:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OMG..... Calalily...thanks!!!

Ack! So...excited...love...mod...stuff...

:twisted:  Awesome!

*offeres you a cup of tears from people she had to torture at work today...for you!!!*

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: 2008 January 23, 05:24:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gorgeous isn't it?  That's our very own Captain Berg's site.  She so rocks.  Cheesy

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
dorquemada
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2008 January 23, 09:18:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Carnaby's easily one of the  - if not simply the - most stylish clothing sites out there. I try not to have too much recolours of the same model to control The Bloat, especially if they're heavy, but Carnaby's stuff looks so great in game I can't resist snatching another  'just one more thing' whenever taking a peak there.

The Pirate Party!
_____
Every time you can has, God kills a lolcat.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2008 January 23, 09:34:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I ADORE that bob.. Calalily put me onto it and it is one of the only 5 or 10 hair meshes I have in my game and can't do without. It looks even better in game than it does on the site.

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: 2008 January 23, 10:01:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm doing a sort through the hoarde (down to 2,000 bodyshop files to sort through! WOOHOO!) and I've decided I cannot live without that bob any longer.  It is so beautiful I canna resist - so I've decided to put some custom content back in my game.  I also blame it on Hecubus, whose wonderful houses I do not want to be without, and Nouk and her beguiling hair.  Cheesy

Visit Calalilysims

Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2008 January 23, 11:33:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish Berg would make a BergNoukiesims with me.... or just some little BergNoukie's ....  Cheesy

Inactive
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: