PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 20:57:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Reduce Demand! Download from Free Sites Instead!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Reduce Demand! Download from Free Sites Instead!  (Read 36270 times)
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
Reduce Demand! Download from Free Sites Instead!
« on: 2008 January 07, 18:36:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Captain Jojoba and I were talking today about how crappy many pay items are, and how there are amazing free creators who do BETTER work. We realized that as long as there's demand for their stuff - even in the booty - they'll keep creating it. Why not help reduce the demand ALTOGETHER?

We want to compile a list that we'll add to the FAQ, but we need your imput.

Think about popular paysites or pay creators... and then think about who makes similar or BETTER items for free. Who would you suggest?

For example... Instead of Peggy, Rose, and Raon... get better hair from XM, Helga, and Nouk.

next?

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
Ry
ARR!

Paden's Baked Tater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 2008 January 07, 18:41:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hm.
People who like Steffor's work at TSR could download her FREE stuff from Avalon and her Banana site.
And always check MTS2 for what you want, even if TSR has it, because they tend to make similar items AFTER someone else has uploaded them to MTS2.
Good idea.

I'm enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Knowledge is limited.
Imagination encircles the world.
~Einstein
Requip
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 January 07, 18:56:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with Ry, I always check MTS2 after seeing something I might like from a paysite even before I check the booty!  :lol: I also check Rissa's or Renegade for hair but they do use the paymesh so that doesn't count.  :?

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
Jojoba
Pirate

Inoodle Concordance

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 January 07, 18:58:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yup yup  Cheesy

Most, if not all of us, are as pro free as we are anti pay. But we are not that hot when it comes to showing this pro free side...

So, this idea means lowering demand on pay items (which means they are less popular, less kaching, etc.) and increased use of free items (supporting free creators and sites) - so all good stuff!

Mkay, start with the obvious - hair stuffages. Hair is one of the most asked after thing in the shopping list (annoyingly so, hint why we now ask that requests for raon, peggy, rose are not posted!) so obviously a big thing..

Peggy, Raon, Rose. Alternatives, in terms of new meshes, sites/creators such as XMsims, Nouk, HP, Helga, Lunar, HIM666, Coris, Donny, Adele, Sizz, Louis, Seomi. In terms of recolours/textures/not new meshes but new hairs (that make sense), MTS2, GoS, Insimenator, TheSims2WritersHangOut....the Natural RedHead project is majorly recommended Tongue As is creators like Harripwns, Evanesco, Marie Fay, Schuldig Seiben, ButterflyKiss4u, Setso

...I know my free CC  Cool Oh huzzah

<@Pescado> I would rather eat my own testicles.

Want to donate? Help out? PM Ash, MissB, Dee or Cat!

alia
ARR!

Ms. Smartypants

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 January 07, 19:02:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, these people have no competition from paysites:

Ren at Rensim and Bruno at MTS2 for makeup, Enayla for skins, Ren at simscribbling for skins (and hair).

SunSun a.k.a. Shannis

I aten't dead yet.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 January 07, 19:29:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How about instead of comparing general styles, we compare actual popular files from the booty?  General styles are useful, but if we could also target specific files - maybe?  Cheesy

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Jojoba
Pirate

Inoodle Concordance

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 January 07, 19:32:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "calalily"
How about instead of comparing general styles, we compare actual popular files from the booty?  General styles are useful, but if we could also target specific files - maybe?  Cheesy

How do you determine which files are most popular? Ask Pes for download rates?!  :?

Maybe, we should do *both*...mm ideas guys please?Smiley

<@Pescado> I would rather eat my own testicles.

Want to donate? Help out? PM Ash, MissB, Dee or Cat!

calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2008 January 07, 19:34:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh yes - I said also, so I meant both - I just got excited and changed tack halfway through my post.  :lol:

And yes, ask Pes.  That should be the best - rather than us jaded pirates who do not like much.  Cheesy

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2008 January 07, 21:33:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Instead of paying for Simslice stuff like I used to, I go to Paladin's Place! Much more entertaining and the same sort of hacked items.

liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 January 07, 22:09:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And Paladin's objects are made of win, whereas Simslice is maid of fail and lose. And the code is bullshit, too.

You know what would be a great resource? A compiled list of all free sims sites, perhaps broken down into category or style. It would be a major undertaking, though.

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
JFederated
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 January 07, 22:36:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would this site be at all helpful there, Lieg?

http://chukhin.brinkster.net/Lynne/sims/simlinks.html

Scroll down and they do break it out for objects (by style), bodyshop, etc.

Bring me a bag of Bigfoot droppings or SHUT UP!  --  Prof. Hubert Farnsworth
snadradeocconer
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Reduce Demand! Download from Free Sites Instead!
« Reply #11 on: 2008 January 07, 22:47:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Hecubus"
get better hair from XM,and Helga
next?

i would but both sites always have terrible textures. good meshes, but terrible textures.

ie Pay sites Die
:
TSR
Rose Sims
Sublisims
SamanthaS
ARR!

Official #2 stalker of Ry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2008 January 08, 00:07:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "liegenschonheit"
You know what would be a great resource? A compiled list of all free sims sites, perhaps broken down into category or style. It would be a major undertaking, though.

There's Download Whores (which, she updated in December, yay!), maybe someone could take her list and strip out the paysites? I've got gobs of space available if someone wants to do it.

I don't know how to make those nifty tables.

Free Sims 2 Downloads, no waiting! | Free Sims Finds | Seriously, your post is straining my wtf organ. -Neriana
dietofworms
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 January 08, 00:07:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Avalon is consistently wonderful.  In addition to Steffor's free stuff, OM makes great ethnic furniture sets and (IMO) the best paintings.  Tweetysmom has some of her recolors there, and is beginning to mesh.  Even the walls are terrific.  (Can you tell I'm a fan?) Cheesy

So--Avalon for ethnic (mainly eastern and north African) furniture sets, paintings, recolors and walls--as opposed to Simaddict's Indian sets,  and stupid PAY walls--at TSR.

"The guilt of someone within TSR is as clear as a fiberoptic endoscope in the bowels. "
--Pescado
scrappysim
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 January 08, 00:11:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love www.piggis-sims.net/ for recolors especially since so many people download specifically to get matching sets.  She does both maxis and other mesh recolors but seems to stick to the most popular meshes out there and uses the same set of textures to do all the recolors so everything matches easily.  Free of course!

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Deeply. . . . It's worth it!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: