PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 September 28, 18:56:19

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5290 Members
Latest Member: troubleneko
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  New Paysite Alert
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: New Paysite Alert  (Read 46179 times)
Bigtruckgirl
Pirate

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #60 on: 2007 May 05, 16:01:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"
Quote from: "Bigtruckgirl"
practicing with a "C" and not an "S." I do know that for me, my English teacher would have killed me if I used an "S," because there is no "S" in practice. LOL

That's an American/English thing.

Evidently then FF spell checker is American English based. Cheesy

On a side note I do agree that we here in the US tend to do thing very differently that Queen's English. Funny story....

We were on the way back from Germany and unfortunately missed our connection at Gatwick and got to spend a lovely evening in Sury. We were having a nice chat with a very nice German lady in the hotel shuttle and got on the discussion of English. Her English was wonderful and she had spent years in both the UK and the US during her studies. She very nicely told me to be prepared for "proper" Queen's English when we arrived at the hotel. I told her not to worry, I was sure I could understand English just fine, she said jokingly "OK, I warned you."  Cheesy

We get to the hotel and the lady behind the desk rattled off something that left me looking at her is complete confusion. I have no idea what she said, and it was English, just not something I understood. The German lady busted out laughing and said "I told you so." The German lady had to translate "proper Queen's English" for me! :shock: She then told me that even though the US form of English is a little screwy, it is much easier to learn and pick up. As if that made things better for me.

It was a unique experience. I did not have this much of a "language barrier" in Germany, Lithuania or anyplace else I have been to and supposedly our English derived from theirs.  :lol:

Quote from: "RedLove"
Actually its not like that all over america. Not meaning to offend anybody but it *seems* to *me* that everybody talks decent except us southerners. Instead of ours when we say it it sounds like "ares" and instead of about to we say "fixin' to" or "fissen to" Oneeyewillie if anybody's language was truly fucked up its the southern US. But what really sucks is NO MATTER how much you try not to talk "southern" it doesn't work. Like I try my BESTEST Cheesy Not to say Y'all but it's the first word that comes out of my mouth when I talk to someone. And don't even talk about names. Can't even say Eleanore down here it sounds like "Eliner"

I'm glad you were not trying to offend and I see you count yourself as a southerner.  :lol:

PS. I've lived in NC all of my life and other than the slower pronunciation of certain words and the occasional use of y'all, I don't speak like that. This would have been another thing my English teacher (who was English meaning British BTW) would have killed me for.  Cheesy

~*~ We always thought we'd look back on our tears and laugh, but we never thought we'd look back on our laughter and cry. ~*~
Bigtruckgirl
Pirate

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #61 on: 2007 May 05, 16:04:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry double thought I pasted it all into one. LOL

~*~ We always thought we'd look back on our tears and laugh, but we never thought we'd look back on our laughter and cry. ~*~
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #62 on: 2007 May 05, 16:06:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While I grew up in and currently live again in Upstate New York, I spent 15 years in North Carolina...and I can tell you, I will never stop saying "y'all"..it's the long-needed second person plural! (Although my family laughs when I say "all y'all").

My favorite Southern/Northern story comes from the Raleigh, NC area...the man who started a local chain of quick oil change stores called a company in Brooklyn, NY, to make their sign. What he ordered was the text "Oil Tune and Lube". What the signmaker HEARD was "All Tune and Lube".

Upon receipt, the business owner decided it would cost less to change the DBA and subsequent incorporation documents than to have the signs redone.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #63 on: 2007 May 05, 16:20:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I understand where you are coming from Redlove but at the same time I want to punch ya for making such a huge generalization.  :lol:  I've only been out of Texas for like two days of my life so yeah, it's a bit inevitable that I have a bit of an accent.  Now, that doesn't mean I'm incomprehensible in red neck proportions.  It's just an accent. ;p  

What I can't stand is the New Yorker (and surrounding areas) accent on women.. it's like nails on chalkboard to me.  It's as sexy as a burly truck driver saying he's wearing panties.

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #64 on: 2007 May 05, 16:28:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Missangelic I live in Tennesse. This is like redneck country around here. I don't really talk *redneck* so to speak but after having friends and hearing people around here who are obviously redneck I just wanna punch in the face and then kill myself. It's SOOOO annoying. I mean yea I don't always pronounce the "g" when I say "talking" or some other word but hell. I atleast speak a little faster then they do. My dad took my car to this guy to have it worked on and it took him  20 minutes to tell me my transmission was about to go out. It went something like "Nooooww loook here. See what ya got here is...and then...but you can fix that by going to...autoshop. You know how to get there? No? Well take a right on the redlight down the street thennnn take a left...naw naw wait wait." God I wanted to punch him so bad. It was funny because we got in the car and my dad was like "Now what we have here is a failure to communicate" *love that movie*

Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #65 on: 2007 May 05, 16:39:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure what you mean by "Queen's English" coz like NO-ONE talks like the Queen. I mean it. That's RP ("Received Pronunciation") and whilst many people speak modified RP (I guess I do a lot of the time) nobody actually speaks proper RP like the Queen. So whatever this "Queen's English" is, it's a load of bollocks. ^^

Nii, what IS a redneck? I'm not sure, and I don't understand the term of speaking like one--how do you communicate?

Oh and bloody hell, I know I talk quickly 'n' all, but for goddess's sakes people-in-America, please talk slow enough for me to undersand you!!!! Bloody hell! The only person I'm aware of who doesn't speak 100-words-a-minute is George-Bloody-Bush, and I don't give a toss what he's saying (except to make fun of it, har har)...

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
missangelica
ARR!

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #66 on: 2007 May 05, 16:43:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

:lol: I was going to mention how we do talk slower and you put it more eloquently than me.

My youngest sister went to Tennessee with her best friend's family and she told me it was pretty bad.  I feel for ya, really I do.

alia
ARR!

Ms. Smartypants

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #67 on: 2007 May 05, 16:57:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, I do not think it is fair to criticize*  Fairywitch because of her spelling/grammar mistakes because I think she is German, and therefore not a native English speaker.

Having said that, her "attack" was rather amusing, to say the least. I doubt she will be back, but just in case she does, here's my answer to her question number 2.

Quote from: "fairywitch"

2. How many of you (thanks for the publicity btw), would sign up with your real username instead of some bogus nick? I don't use any other name than this one and I haven't in 6 years that I've been playing and creating. I don't hide behind different usernames. Why do you?

Yadda yadda yadda...

Well, the simple reason for using this nickname here is the fact that I'd get kicked out of many forums, because I have also posted here. Take the Simbella forum, for example, where Bella bans people solely by association. If I logged in here by my Simbella username, it would probably be taken as a proof that I am a filesharer. I haven't shared anything I got from Simbella, nor have I downloaded any of their waffle store gifts or anything else from SFV/the booty. It wouldn't matter, however, since I'd be guilty by association, and would get banned for 100 years.

So that's why I use a different name here from the one I use at Simbella. And I'm actually more comfortable with the name Alia/SunSun than the others I have used.

*Or is it criticise? Argh! Damn you! Now I'm all confused.

SunSun a.k.a. Shannis

I aten't dead yet.
Captain Feathersword
ARR!

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #68 on: 2007 May 05, 17:00:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "RedLove"
And don't even talk about names. Can't even say Eleanore down here it sounds like "Eliner"

The English pronounce Eleanor as Ellen-uh (it's hard trying to be phonetic for people from other countries).

ell, defile me with a barnacled fork!   -   Cuss-o-matic for all your epithet needs.

Join my imaginary cult. The consequences of refusal are worse than you imagine.
MizzKitty
ARR!

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #69 on: 2007 May 05, 17:02:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ugghhh... I want to join the discussion, but I can't seem to find an angle where I fit in  :lol:

I am not a native speaker. I'm Scandinavian - Danish, to be more exact - if you didn't know. I have never in my life been to any part of America. I have, however, been to England and Wales, and although I did find the dialects (especially in Wales) to be peculiar, it didn't take me too long to adopt it for the duration of my stay. I do that. Apparently I'm good that way with languages. I love the way they say wha' instead of what most places I've been in England.  :lol:

Let me twist this my way.

Denmark is actually very small (about 5 mio residents), but where I'm originally from is... well, the redneck area of our country. There they practice the art of speaking while limiting the amount of facial muscles used as much as possible. I swear, some of them barely open their mouth. And on top of that they love twisting the words (e.g. a word that should be pronounced mah-ied using English pronounciation rules is pronounced as a sharp and fast moi). It took me a while to rid myself of the worst of that.

As a remedy I have only been dating males from clear across the country and I moved to an area with a much prettier almost sing-song dialect. Incidentally this is also the birth town of Hans Christian Andersen. I know, that fact had no home anywhere in this post.  :wink:

And I pretty much speak the queen's Danish by now Wink (yes, we have a queen too, nya nya). Well, I don't really, because our queen's dialect is silly. But I speak a pretty clean version of Danish. One that is understandable for all... that understand Danish.  :lol:

Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...
missangelica
ARR!

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #70 on: 2007 May 05, 17:06:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Captain Feathersword"
The English pronounce Eleanor as Ellen-uh (it's hard trying to be phonetic for people from other countries).

That reminds me of the english lady on Shear Genius who kept on screaming, "HAAAY-UH"  There is a friggin' "r" on hair!  Friggin' people..  If you're not french you can't get away with not pronouncing the word all the way through unless it's slang.  It sounds so lazy.

ETA:  Typically I don't mind and like English accents but this girl has a more "commoner" accent that turns me off.

RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #71 on: 2007 May 05, 17:07:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pirates Like Sapphires"
I'm not sure what you mean by "Queen's English" coz like NO-ONE talks like the Queen. I mean it. That's RP ("Received Pronunciation") and whilst many people speak modified RP (I guess I do a lot of the time) nobody actually speaks proper RP like the Queen. So whatever this "Queen's English" is, it's a load of bollocks. ^^

Nii, what IS a redneck? I'm not sure, and I don't understand the term of speaking like one--how do you communicate?

Oh and bloody hell, I know I talk quickly 'n' all, but for goddess's sakes people-in-America, please talk slow enough for me to undersand you!!!! Bloody hell! The only person I'm aware of who doesn't speak 100-words-a-minute is George-Bloody-Bush, and I don't give a toss what he's saying (except to make fun of it, har har)...

God you can't even describe redneck. BUT YOU CAN WATCH IT! Redneck at its worst...or best. Not sure which

Doursim
ARR!

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #72 on: 2007 May 05, 17:07:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think anyone caught that this is not a difference between UK spelling and American spelling. Practice and Practise are different WORDS.  They mean different things.

Practice:  to preform work repeatedly as to become proficient.

Practise:  To take advantage of someone

She used a word, it was just the WRONG one.

She may be practising though Smiley

url=http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/peggy]peggy[/url]  Peggy sims
missangelica
ARR!

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #73 on: 2007 May 05, 17:10:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Google Jeff Foxworthy and Blue Collar Comedy tour and you'll get your fill on red neck. x_x

RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #74 on: 2007 May 05, 17:12:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh god. I wanna kill myself. They made us watch that on friday because exams were over.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: