PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 16, 18:33:25

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5284 Members
Latest Member: mobequi
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  helaenes website may be closing but read this
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: helaenes website may be closing but read this  (Read 25067 times)
Delphy
ARR!

View Profile
helaenes website may be closing but read this
« Reply #75 on: 2007 January 20, 11:37:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The signature and site links are still available in thier profile as they are also in any normal posts the person makes.

I had originally thought of removing sigs altogether but instead replaced it with a line and a link to click to view that persons profile.  Short and sweet and to the point - and while some of you might prefer this impact only paysites, looking through a selection of downloads, I found some very annoying sigs and adverts from people who had blogs, or normal sites or whatever...

In any other community, posting and saying "Go look at my site!!" would be considering spamming - regardless if said site is free or not.   Running your own site and using a much larger one to garner interest (and possibly subscriptions or whatever) is really not on.

The other thing I considered too was the fact that many creators have policies with recolours, uploading meshes etc that are not in thier signature but instead on thier profile page.  So this actually serves a dual purpose - it gets rid of explicit advertising, but also gets more people to read the policies and get more information about a creator, which in my eyes is a good compromise.
Surelyfunke
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2007 January 20, 11:48:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Banning large and annoying sigs is always a good thing, in my book.
tIIsuggas
ARR!

Avatar V2.013.6 (alpha) Unsupported.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2007 January 20, 11:58:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Delphy"

The other thing I considered too was the fact that many creators have policies with recolours, uploading meshes etc that are not in thier signature but instead on thier profile page.  So this actually serves a dual purpose - it gets rid of explicit advertising, but also gets more people to read the policies and get more information about a creator, which in my eyes is a good compromise.

Why the heck they don't add their TOS to the download page, I don't know.

People don't want to go chasing round for info.  IMO it should be there plain to see.  Also, a mistake could be made, if no TOS is prominent, and people don't think to look in profiles or blogs, they could inadvertently do something they shouldn't.

"Tomatoes don't hurt" I said with a grin.
The next one did, it came in a tin.

My stuff at  MTS2
Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2007 January 20, 12:18:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Who reads Tos I dont...My only concern download, open, install, and play.  Cool TOS gets thrown out :twisted:

fficial Sim Club member in all Sim World: Nouk, Marcossi, Moune, Orange Mittens, Nengi,, Fanseelamb, to many to list thei the best.
Marhis
ARR!

This Space For Rent

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2007 January 20, 15:52:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hehe, I've some little hacks on MTS2, and I made an ironic Terms of Use on my profile on purpose.
I'm really amazed on how many people thanked me for that, like "a sigh of relief for all those silly terms of use around".

Actually, I receive more thanks for my ToU than for my hacks, that's really an interesting signal.  Cheesy

THE FUTURE OF THIS SIGNATURE IS BRIGHT
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: 2007 January 20, 17:14:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Soup Parrot"
Who reads Tos I dont...My only concern download, open, install, and play.  Cool TOS gets thrown out :twisted:

Seconded. I hate readme files and TOSes. However, I do read some TOSes on sites. And I read the ones I know will have super cute stuff in them. Pescado's I read. ^^

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
torque
ARR!

all I wanna do, wanna take your moneys!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2007 January 20, 18:35:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Tchân de Bouley"

Seconded. I hate readme files and TOSes. However, I do read some TOSes on sites. And I read the ones I know will have super cute stuff in them. Pescado's I read. ^^

Thirded. I always delete the readme files. Without reading.

LesserOr
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2007 January 20, 19:30:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

People don't even read the EULAs they click on, much less something in a separate text doc.

If your files are named properly, users can go back and find you if there's a problem. The text files are just a nag, and they fail at even that.
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: 2007 January 20, 19:41:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes. Plus, they're all named the same thing. 100 files named "Readme" or "So&So's Readme" bug me, especially as they all contain the same nonsense. The worst offenders, however, are the ones who have a recolour readme, a clothing readme, a mesh readme, a genetics readme and a goddessknowswhatelse readme, all of which are named something different but contain the exact same copied-and-pasted crap.

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
bethgael
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: 2007 January 20, 22:07:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Never one for large annoying sigs, me, but I do have one comment:  I've found a substantially large number of the free sites I know of through small sig links in downloads.

First thing I do if I like a download is have a look at their MTS2 profile to see if that person has anything else there, second is to look in their sig to see if they have a site.

Or have I misunderstood - are you banning all links in sigs or just paysite ones?

LesserOr
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2007 January 20, 22:39:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "bethgael"
Or have I misunderstood - are you banning all links in sigs or just paysite ones?

Sigs are banned only on download posts. It should encourage people to put that information in their profile.
RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: 2007 January 20, 23:13:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree I mean they have it all over their website anyway so why do they need to include a TOS in my downloads. Its just taking up the space that i use for all my cardrew downloads and i wont have it! I wont have it i tells ya!  :twisted:

Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: 2007 January 21, 10:10:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "bethgael"
Never one for large annoying sigs, me, but I do have one comment:  I've found a substantially large number of the free sites I know of through small sig links in downloads.

First thing I do if I like a download is have a look at their MTS2 profile to see if that person has anything else there, second is to look in their sig to see if they have a site.

Same here. Like Helga, Minanna, SAU, Nouk and a few others. I mostly discover links, however, through the meshes. Then I go on a whole downloading spree!! That's the one think I like about the mesh not being included...

Doursim
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: 2007 January 21, 10:25:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found all my favorite links the hard way.

shifting through the "links" pages of other sites.

The ones that have the best looking banners are the ones I'd click first.  I figure if they can make a banner then their other stuff shouldn't be too bad.  I've been wrong, but for the most part it was not a bad system.  You have no idea how much I celebrated when I first discovered Bines Sim Revue.  lol Wink

But I also visit sig links.  I don't think of it as annoying at all, really.  If someone at MTS2 has something cool, I'll look at the bottom of their post and read to see if they have a site.  I very rarely look at the profile pages.

url=http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/peggy]peggy[/url]  Peggy sims
postergirl
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2007 January 21, 17:48:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Doursim"
I found all my favorite links the hard way.

shifting through the "links" pages of other sites.

The ones that have the best looking banners are the ones I'd click first.  I figure if they can make a banner then their other stuff shouldn't be too bad.  I've been wrong, but for the most part it was not a bad system.  You have no idea how much I celebrated when I first discovered Bines Sim Revue.  lol Wink

But I also visit sig links.  I don't think of it as annoying at all, really.  If someone at MTS2 has something cool, I'll look at the bottom of their post and read to see if they have a site.  I very rarely look at the profile pages.

Believe me, you're not the only one who makes snap judgements based on button quality XD except, something I've noticed, that system really only works for body shop content. All the best build/buy stuff I have comes from the less than shiny, glossy sites.

size=9]why we all gotta look, gotta act the same? i say, if you're born a lion don't bother trying to act tame.[/size]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: