PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 16:24:42

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  O GOD O GOD!!! Some pirate wisdome please!!!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: O GOD O GOD!!! Some pirate wisdome please!!!  (Read 16417 times)
Roxelane
ARR!

View Profile WWW
O GOD O GOD!!! Some pirate wisdome please!!!
« Reply #30 on: 2007 June 20, 12:54:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "dietofworms"
I'm sure this is going to be an unpopular comment.  

All paysites are illegal, but aren't some more illegal than others (so to speak)?  Holy Simoly has contributed lots of extremely high quality free stuff, which has been recolored and downloaded by a ton of simmers.  They have, as far as I recall, only two donation sets.  Contrast that with a nearly all-pay site like Peggy's or a pay-if-you-don't want shit site like TSR.  I don't see antagonizing Holy Simoly.  They're not big players in this paysite fraud, and they provide sizeable benefit to the sims community. If it were me, I'd remove Holy Simoly's stuff from downloadable houses simply out of respect for what they're done for all of us (the case isn't the same with Gedoehns).
[/b]

agree

Bigtruckgirl
Pirate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 2007 June 20, 13:01:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Broomhilda"

I guess not everyone would get that, it's from a war movie.

AND of course the ever infamous 80's rap song "Me so Horny" by the
2  Live Crew (not for the faint of heart.)  :lol:

Quote from: "dietofworms"
I'm sure this is going to be an unpopular comment.  

All paysites are illegal, but aren't some more illegal than others (so to speak)?  Holy Simoly has contributed lots of extremely high quality free stuff, which has been recolored and downloaded by a ton of simmers.  They have, as far as I recall, only two donation sets.  Contrast that with a nearly all-pay site like Peggy's or a pay-if-you-don't want shit site like TSR.  I don't see antagonizing Holy Simoly.  They're not big players in this paysite fraud, and they provide sizeable benefit to the sims community. If it were me, I'd remove Holy Simoly's stuff from downloadable houses simply out of respect for what they're done for all of us (the case isn't the same with Gedoehns).

I had this same argument in an earlier thread and to be honest, I now don't hold the same thought any longer. Paysites are paysites, whether one is more flagrant than the other or more prolific, makes no difference. They all charge you outside of the allowable in the ELUA. It really doesn't matter if someone is nice or not as big, in the end they are making money outside of the allowable. Fraudulent activities happen, whether they be big or small in the eyes of the ELUA, it is all the same. It does not state that if you only have one or two pay files that you are not violating it, violation is violation.

~*~ We always thought we'd look back on our tears and laugh, but we never thought we'd look back on our laughter and cry. ~*~
Ren
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2007 June 20, 14:10:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm just going to peep in quietly with a small comment, because I try to keep out of the throws.  What is illegal is to have commercial net.  If Holy Simoly keeps proper records that show income and costs, and funds are soley used to maintain the website, then they are in the clear.  That is, in the clear to *offer* product as gift exchange anyway, not control it's travel thereafter by rights.

Dan, a Clan, a Canal - Canada!
Bigtruckgirl
Pirate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: 2007 June 20, 14:22:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ren"
I'm just going to peep in quietly with a small comment, because I try to keep out of the throws.  What is illegal is to have commercial net.  If Holy Simoly keeps proper records that show income and costs, and funds are soley used to maintain the website, then they are in the clear.  That is, in the clear to *offer* product as gift exchange

Actually that is not 100% true. In the ELUA it says you can ask for DONATIONS to maintain a site, it does not say you can SELL items for "DONATION" to maintain a site. That is the fine line that the smaller paysites are operating under.

In other words, if HolySimoly were to take the donation button off of her objects/packs and they were able to be downloaded by anyone, at any time and then placed a donation button asking for site donations on her pages, and then kept records of the site's costs,  this is legal according to the ELUA. Much like some of the free forums/sites do.

Having the actual objects/packs themselves for "pay/donation" is no different than what the big guys do, no matter what the money is being used on.

I realize that the smaller, less affluent sites probably are using the money for site upkeep, but the method of "donation" is illegal according to the ELUA. It is as simple as that.

AND as Denimjo once told me in a thread before I read all the information out here...

(paraphrased) Sometimes the good will go down with the bad if they are walking that same line. If "she" is so nice and kind, talk her into changing her ways or she will go down with the rest of them.

Sadly, she was 100% right. I have heard that Holysimoly is the nicest person out here (I personally have never spoken to her), but she is doing things the illegal way. What can you do if she won't change her methods? <shrugs>

~*~ We always thought we'd look back on our tears and laugh, but we never thought we'd look back on our laughter and cry. ~*~
Apsalar
ARR!

Not as dangerous as I seem to be

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2007 June 20, 15:11:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*Laughs so hard at this thread, that she falls off chair an' canna post anythin' sensible*

-----
*takes a deep breath*

Holy simoly has wonderful items but they ortin't mind us helpin' them wi' bandwidth beyond properly creditin' them. Ser`sly. This be exactly 'ere we shipmates need t' stand firm wi' a keg o' rum in our hands, on accoun' o' 'tis easier t' juggle rum infore o' someone ye dasn't like than someone ye really respect creator wise. We be nay th' illegal party, an' they ortin' ta know that - we`d better educate them - or share rum. Or both. Ya bilge rats!

- Tell me Tool, what dominates your thoughts?
- I think of futility, Adjunct.
- Do all Imass think about futility?
- No, few think at all.
- Why is that?
The Imass leaned his head to one side and regarded her.
- Because, Adjunct, it is futile.
~~G
darkangel
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007 June 20, 15:15:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Navigator"
Holy simoly has wonderful items but they ortin't mind us helpin' them wi' bandwidth beyond properly creditin' them. Ser`sly. This be exactly 'ere we shipmates need t' stand firm wi' a keg o' rum in our hands, on accoun' o' 'tis easier t' juggle rum infore o' someone ye dasn't like than someone ye really respect creator wise. We be nay th' illegal party, an' they ortin' ta know that - we`d better educate them - or share rum. Or both. Ya bilge rats!

Lol. I didn't understand one word. FAIL.  :lol:

Anyway...HolySimoly is as illegal as any other paysite...it doesn't matter how many items they have...one is enough to be marked as illegal.

However, in the terms of "greedy", HolySimoly is definately on the better side.

This does not mean, though, that it's okay what they're doing. I don't like HolySimoly. I don't like paysites in general. They are all illegal. Period.

pescado's fangirl*

sharing the free love, no hidden catch, no strings attached...just free love
<3
Babbelsim
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007 June 20, 15:21:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey Yunaleska can whe have an link to your forum please i wanna take a peak there Wink

la. bla.. bla...
Yaardarm Monkey
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007 June 20, 15:56:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Feverish"
"Me love you long time" is a pickup line that a Vietnamese prostitute used in the movie Full Metal Jacket. I only liked about the first hour of that movie. After the drill instructor died, I stopped watching.

"She love you good. Boom-boom long time!"

"Well baby, me so horny. Me so horny. Me love you long time."

and one of Pescados favorite lines:

"I will gouge out your eyeballs and skull-f*** you!"
Ren
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2007 June 20, 15:57:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

K maybe my post wasn't detailed enough, because its point was missed.

Any commercial net via a simsite, no matter how it is obtained, is what is illegal by EA's EULA.  If a website has a donation button with no strings attached, or a payment button in direct/obvious exchange for an item -- if the website is making a commercial profit, they are achieving it with EA's product as the vehicle.

If Holy Simoly, or any site, has record that monies obtained via the website have only been put toward costs, and not for any other purposes, then they are not breaking the EULA.

As a user of bodyshop and/or homecrafter they are permitted distribution, and have the basic right themselves to offer a package discriminately.  They cannot impose others to be discriminate however, in particular those who have received the package (ie Yunalesca, as others have stated, they can't shut you down).

So.. PMBD = Perfectly legal, no new news there.  The server doesn't even need to be in Malaysia.  Holy Simoly = not sure, dunno if they've turned commercial profit, that's EA's business to find out.

Hope that clears my post up... and now I'll go back to light hearted threads, heh.

Dan, a Clan, a Canal - Canada!
Yunaleska
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2007 June 20, 16:52:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My forum is this: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Rebelion_Sim there´s no much there jet, is been open only for 4 days... and i all ready have 10 hate mails!!!! xDDD

Y have donate money for free sites, 3 euros in the one that i like, i will be more that happy to donate money to does that don't sell their stuff.

About Hoolly Simolly... i still think even they aren't the big bad... they still having no rigth to ask money for products even if is only to mantain the site... there´s other ways to mantain site´s open.

If you can´t afort broad band or whatever, just upload your stuff to plces like mega share and all does places like the "foreros" do...
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2007 June 20, 17:32:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ren"
K maybe my post wasn't detailed enough, because its point was missed.

Any commercial net via a simsite, no matter how it is obtained, is what is illegal by EA's EULA.  If a website has a donation button with no strings attached, or a payment button in direct/obvious exchange for an item -- if the website is making a commercial profit, they are achieving it with EA's product as the vehicle.

If Holy Simoly, or any site, has record that monies obtained via the website have only been put toward costs, and not for any other purposes, then they are not breaking the EULA.
Your post was clear, it's just wrong. It doesn't matter if a donation item's revenue is provided to bandwidth and only bandwidth. The item is withheld from the populace unless money is paid. This means that the item is a pay item, and the paysite is actively charging for the pixels. Which makes it bad.

Now, you can put a donation button on a website and that's cool. You can put so many donation linkies on a site you can barely see the content. No problem. You can even make more moneys from donations than you need to clear your costs. You just can't make something with EA's crap and wave it in front of people, then say "Nope, give me money first!"

Stuff at MTS2, in my 4shared folder, and MATY/Peasantry

LiveJournal w/ story crap
Yunaleska
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2007 June 20, 17:42:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OLE OLE OLE!
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: 2007 June 20, 17:50:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They had no right to do that to you.

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
TheVanity
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2007 June 20, 21:42:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still don`t understand why HolySimoly gained the pirates` favor - or should i say blessing?  I mean, they do the exactly the same things your average paysite does and still is excuse by almost everyone here. If not totally excused, their actions are taken lightly.

Really, they sent a `cease & desist` letter to a fellow pirate and there were members that came forth and patted them on the head. Even if they had ZOMG, WONDERFULLLL content that outshone every other creator in the community - which isn`t the case - they would still be in wrong. HolySimoly is still a paysite that frowns upon fileshares and sends little `cease & desist` (i like this expression!) email.

Why do we back them up?
Because their stuff is shinier?
Because the owners are suave?
BECAUSE THEY ARE A CULT? (!?) I WANT MY WEBCAM NOW.

P.S.:  Even  the self proclaimed neutral Better Sims Bureau seems to glorify this site. It gave the `maximum-est` rating on all topics to HolySimoly. The others hardly got a 4 (out of 5) on 2 topics.

P.S2. I expect this post to be unpopular, but, please, use rubber rocks if you feel the urge to lynch me. Sad

quot;I'm just pretending to be a poser"
Duckie
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: 2007 June 20, 22:04:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Personally, I love Holy Simoly's creations. I am not afraid to admit that. I would donate to them if there weren't so many other free sites that deserve my donations first. Yes, Insim got Holy Simoly's donation. How sad. (Sarcasm!)

I can't speak for others here but until they sent that letter to Yunaleska I'd never heard of them sending out "cease and desist" letters or ever having said anything about their items being shared anywhere before now. So, this is a first for me and it is disappointing.

b]DerailedSims2 ~ Money Better Spent![/b]
(Derailed's been updated!)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: