PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 04:41:44

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Wicked Sims takes a stand
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Wicked Sims takes a stand  (Read 28447 times)
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
Wicked Sims takes a stand
« Reply #30 on: 2007 June 16, 20:01:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When the FFFSS was proposed, I thought it was a pretty good idea. A kind of gathering point for free creators and sites to get together and toss around ideas, talk about policy, and decide what they wanted to do at their individual sites based on the information they found there. When I saw that in actuality, it was designed to be a governing body for free sites, I changed my mind. Why must all free sites adhere to the same policy? Why does everyone have to agree to abide by YOUR rules on THEIR sites? And all for what? A button and a link?

I like having the right to make my own rules and do what I think is right on my personal site without having to put it to a vote. The fact that after Wicked Sims made a decision that they surely couldn't have made easily you start in saying they violate your rules is just bureaucratic crap. Last time I checked, it is their site, their rules. I'm sure having that kind of freedom is worth getting their name crossed off your little list.

As far as I am concerned, any site that doesn't have pay files deserves to be recognised as a free sims sites, not just the ones that allow others to dictate what they do.

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
MoonDragon
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007 June 16, 20:05:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*Passes liegenschonheit rum*
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2007 June 16, 20:11:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The votes are both still open, and anyone can change their vote.  I do look at them from time to time.  Maybe I should sticky them.

Why does everyone have to agree to abide by YOUR rules on THEIR sites? And all for what? A button and a link?

They don't.  I can't force anyone to do anything on their site.   But you seem to be saying it's wrong that I have the freedom to decide which sites I link to on my site?

I like having the right to make my own rules and do what I think is right on my personal site without having to put it to a vote.

Well thank you for understanding. Smiley

But what would be the point of me totally ignoring what the majority of my users want?  Doesn't make sense if I want them to enjoy and use the site, really

Our lil friend must be stopped.
MoonDragon
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007 June 16, 20:34:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I voted.  It is a good thing I keep a list of all my usernames and passwords.  I couldn't remember what I used.
Doursim
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: 2007 June 17, 05:43:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Inge I don't understand why anyone would give a rats ass about having your banner on their site or not?  As far as I, and most other ex-members of the FFSS are concerned, you can vote for a new president of the UK.  Who gives a shit?  
I wanna know why you felt the need to bring up the FFSS in this thread to begin with? To steal Wicked Sims glory and try to rain some hits to your pet project?  It really amazes me how you can turn every subject around and mention the FFSS out of it.

This thread was about Wicked Sims initiative against paysites, but you decided that, instead of saying  "good job, one more person making a difference and raising awareness about paysites" you say... "Hmm... Problem!  This person who quit my little club because of my actions can no longer be endorsed by me!"  Seriously.  This time, it's not about you.

url=http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/peggy]peggy[/url]  Peggy sims
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: 2007 June 17, 06:24:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're still speaking in past tense regarding the poll.

Make a new poll, linking to the new correspondance from EA, and also named the sites that have reevaluated the idea of filesharing.  S2C, Wicked Sims, thesims2 (on livejournal), and probably other places are now changing their policies.

Saying votes can be changed at any time is silly, because that's not normal, and I doubt anyone would even think for half a second about going to change their votes.  Generally there's a polling time, and then a decision is made, and then you move on.  If you want to reflect changing minds and ideals, you need to ask the questions again.

I've never been quiet about my beliefs that if you want to share your work, then you shouldn't be a snit about it.  I think if you allow recoloring, you're a right jerk to not allow redistribution, paysite lacky or free creator.  And I'm not going to agree with a site that is a free site supporter in name that starts upholding some sort of self-made moral code about sharing for no real good reason, when the game's creators obviously intended for free distribution.  It's a less profitable and obvious way of going against the original creators, but it's still assy.
Roxelane
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: 2007 June 17, 07:39:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Quorneater"
There was a vote at http://fffss.org/FFSSForum/index.php?topic=1940.0 and it was just under 20% of forum members wanted actual filesharing/pirate sites to be in the list.

The vote at http://fffss.org/FFSSForum/index.php?topic=2019.0 was to stop vetoing sites who simply linked to a filesharing site - and in this case it was just over 80% wanted us to stop holding the link against them.

So it looks like the majority of members made a clear distinction between sites that actually do it, and those that just are happy to send their users to pirate sites.  I am not sure why there was such a difference as in essence it has the same effect, but there you are.

One trouble is that there are a huge number of people here who would have swung the vote the other way, but as they have decided to boycott the site, they were unable to vote.  Go figure.  Sometimes displaying an attitude is more important than changing something you don't like, I guess.

One cannot accept the EULA and accept the Paysites at the same time. One must decide – http://www.tarox4sims2.de linked to PMBD, after the EULA is PMBD legally and only the EULA is obligatory.

:wink:  Roxelane

Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007 June 17, 07:57:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Doursim"
It really amazes me how you can turn every subject around and mention the FFSS out of it.

My comment didn't diss wicked sims.  It expressed disappointment that a great free site wouldn't be listed.   Bringing it up gave an opportunity for users here to do something positive about the situation, like voting for a change in the listing guidelines.

I think by now everyone is aware that you take every opportunity to say something unpleasant to me, and that is more important to you than doing something positive to bring about the changes you purport to want.

Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2007 June 17, 08:07:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Quinctia"

Saying votes can be changed at any time is silly, because that's not normal, and I doubt anyone would even think for half a second about going to change their votes.  Generally there's a polling time, and then a decision is made, and then you move on.  If you want to reflect changing minds and ideals, you need to ask the questions again.

Possibly.

But I think what's happened is that the site has particularly attracted those users who don't like filesharing for various reasons, and particularly put off those who are the most active in the filesharing movement.  Given some of the email I receive, I think my regular users are a different bunch from the regulars here, with some overlap of course.

I'll give it a little while for everyone to get used to the idea that community ethics are changing, and then poll again.   Meanwhile there is still a thread alive discussing the polls and the results so if anyone is unsatisfied they can say so.

Doursim
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: 2007 June 17, 08:47:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Quorneater"
I think by now everyone is aware that you take every opportunity to say something unpleasant to me, and that is more important to you than doing something positive to bring about the changes you purport to want.

It's not you, ok it is you... but it's also the FFSS.  I mean, who cares if they/you can't list Wicked Sims as a free site anymore?  My biggest issue is that every chance you get you plug that site when it offers nothing to the community other than a seal of approval.  If anything it's hurtful to the community more than helpful.  Jessica at least hosts other sites, free of charge, she bailed my site out, she hosts like 10 sites besides mine at the moment.  She is doing WAY more for the community than the FFSS.  Jessica's site is entirely free, she hosts a gaggle of other sites, asking nothing in return, bends over backwards whenever any of her sites have any issues, and on top of it all, has taken positive steps forward in the fight against paysites... what are you thinking?

And, why should I join your group and make changes to your policy when I don't care what you do?  Like I said, you can all elect a new Emperor of Japan for all I care, nothing your site does has any impact on the sims community except fostering this false sense of your own self worth.

Inge, I think you will find that more people (webmasters at least) agree with me than disagree.  The only difference is that I'm not worried about looking like a bitch in front of other people.

Witchboy
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 2007 June 17, 08:57:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with everything Doursim's has said

My comment didn't diss wicked sims. It expressed disappointment that a great free site wouldn't be listed. Bringing it up gave an opportunity for users here to do something positive about the situation, like voting for a change in the listing guidelines.

Why should anyone have to vote to see a change in the guidelines at your site. It's your site so why don't you just change the guidelines yourself & if your members don't like it then poo on them

On that note, Way to go Jessica! Smiley I'll be stopping by soon to add more goodies to my section. Give Henrik a hug for me!

*Empress Paden's Fanboy*
*ShanOw, now 100% more stoppable then me!*
*O Coconut, Coconut, wherefore art thou Coconut?*

MoonDragon
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2007 June 17, 09:22:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Feh.  I've been voting on all kinds of crap since I've come to this forum.  Maybe I'm silly for going there and participating but I figure at least I pushed my little buttons to be added to the tally.  Enough tallies in the same columns and maybe the idea of that site will not be quite so offensive to me.  Less offensive is good even if I'll never agree with the concept of a site police club.

That site may not be a big deal to me or to allot of other people, but obviously it is important to some people and they are people who are FOR freesites.  They may be self-important and in ways they may actually be hindering the anti-paysite movement, but their feet are at least pointed in the right direction.  Maybe they just need more time and a little help to learn to walk.
darkangel
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2007 June 17, 09:24:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sorry I really don't get it...why is Wicked Sims so "special"...is it famous? Or something? I've never even heard of that site before...so why is everyone like huzzah? LOL.  :wink:

pescado's fangirl*

sharing the free love, no hidden catch, no strings attached...just free love
<3
Doursim
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: 2007 June 17, 09:29:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

lol did you read the first post?  They're not "special" they're just taking a stand by allowing their creators link to pmbd/include payfiles for CC that uses pay files, like meshes, objects, etc.

Minolia
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2007 June 17, 11:39:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "darkangel"
I'm sorry I really don't get it...why is Wicked Sims so "special"...is it famous? Or something? I've never even heard of that site before...so why is everyone like huzzah? LOL.  :wink:

In my case it's huzzah because along with a lot of other things that have happened recently, it gives the impression that the tide is beginning to turn when people think about what they want to consider acceptable in the community.

And each little step - be it only a single website changing it's policy - sends the message more clearly, both to EA about what the community wants and to TSR who hopefuly are starting to squirm.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: