PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 04:24:08

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Wicked Sims takes a stand
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Wicked Sims takes a stand  (Read 28446 times)
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
Wicked Sims takes a stand
« Reply #75 on: 2007 June 18, 10:06:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Quorneater"
You'd be quite right - it's frustration speaking.  Now I am going to go and wallow in frustration away from this thread!  I don't have anything useful to add right now.

Was that sarcasm?  :oops:

We're not out to harm or annoy you personally (well I shall speak for myself)  I just wanted to show why people feel like this.

And since you are one of the good guys, and always have been, don't feel like you have to go away or anything or quit anything entirely simply because some folks don't agree with some of the methods.
Maybe if you discuss our views and yours with us, you may come to different conclusions than you would originally, and we could as well. There's nothing wrong with that Wink

Inactive
MoonDragon
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2007 June 18, 10:52:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll 2nd that.  I don't have a personal grudge against you.  I don't even know you.  Hell, I don't even own a Sims2 site!  I'm just a pirate trying to help the anti-paysite movement.
Doursim
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: 2007 June 18, 11:35:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I don't have to like anyone personally in order to be able to work with them towards a common goal.  The enemy of my enemy is my friend and paysites be my enemy! Arr!

url=http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/peggy]peggy[/url]  Peggy sims
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2007 June 18, 11:52:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "N0uK!!EINZ"
If Sims websites are becoming so expensive to run because of (imaginative) CPU as the host says, what do you do to change it?

Well, it is true that websites can consume a chunk of CPU, but this is not so much the fault of the website as it is of the clumsy, awkward bloatware that is  Apache. We were having major server load issues also, until I replaced Apache, and then loadage issues fell by a factor of 5-6. And thus we had room for Nouk. Tongue

Shinjiru's main servers all run apache, thus, slow and clumsy and prone to overloading on even static content. We run a leaner, meaner machine, since I am r00t, so we can do more with less than the main servers.

I remember a few months ago, that someone left a guestbook entree warning about people trying to take down noukiesims2.net. I never found or got any evidence, but the SAME thing happening, the SAME way, after a site makes a stand against paysites like this, seems very curious to me.

Oh, is that what that was? I seem to recall awhile ago I had to ban a bunch of IPs, that must have been it. We've had another rash of attacks lately, so I've implemented a more aggressive auto-banning. You may or may not notice improved performance here.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Capucine
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: 2007 June 18, 12:03:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"
Well, it is true that websites can consume a chunk of CPU, but this is not so much the fault of the website as it is of the clumsy, awkward bloatware that is  Apache. We were having major server load issues also, until I replaced Apache, and then loadage issues fell by a factor of 5-6. And thus we had room for Nouk. Tongue
Ooh that's interesting, didn't know Apache was that inefficient. What are you running on now?

size=9]Rum is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of The Sims Community.[/size]

The cake is a rich, moist and delicious lie.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2007 June 18, 12:05:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Custom build of lighttpd.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2007 June 18, 17:15:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Inge, I don't personally dislike you, and I don't think I've done anything particularly rude. I do dislike all the rules and 'ethics' of ffss, and I have read the threads on your site explaining why things are the way they are. Here are what I think are some of the problems:

1. You're trying to protect everyone, and instead are disallowing each site to make their own policy. That may be okay to a small group of site owners that just don't want anyone to touch their stuff, but the majority of website owners leave places like MTS2 and Insim so that they have greater control over their stuff, not less. Asking everyone who signs up to abide by rules voted on and handed down as absolutes won't fly, the internet is not a democracy.

2. Having many restrictions on what is a 'free' site. In my opinion, any site that has 100% free content should be listed as a free site. End of story. Perhaps adding meshes from pay sites and that kind of thing makes sites like mine and Wicked Sims 'filesharing' sites, but first and foremost they are still free sims sites that are distributing original content created by the owner(s). They aren't sites dedicated to filesharing, and labeling them as such just muddles things more. I personally don't really care if my site ends up on your list, but in the cases of sites like Wicked, maybe you should amend your list to allow them, but with a disclaimer that they allow filesharing.

3. Riding the fence. The issue of paysites being illegal is just exploding in this community. For years, it has been considered bad form to speak out against paysites, but not anymore. So why are you offering them a modicum of protection? It may be that you and/or your group just don't want to get involved, but instead it looks like it's being hushed up.

4. No one outside of FFSS and a few at PMBD know or care what FFSS is. Seriously. You could blow it up today and no one would blink, and yet you have come in here expecting us to take it seriously that you 'have to' remove Wicked from your list. As far as we are concerned, Wicked has done the right thing, and you guys look foolish for trying to penalize her for it. The paysite people probably like the idea that you remove stuff like this from your list of 'reputable' free sites.

5. If you seriously don't want to do this anymore, don't.  Let them at eachother's throats, maybe after the dust has settled then they will have reached some kind of real stance, not this wishy washy business. Or maybe you should do what you set out to do, compile a real list of all free sites, without semantics and technicalities, and an open invitation for all owners to take part in discussion on your forum. Right now it is just people who generally agree sitting around patting eachother on the back. Instead of trying to get everyone to agree with the rules you guys have in place, why not allow every site to have their own rules, and use your forum as an open debate to wrangle it out? I think that would be more helpful in the end than what you've got now.

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: 2007 June 18, 17:26:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It boils down to this:
A site is either free or not.  Not listing one because it happens to do stuff you don't like is shitty and the start of a slippery slope.

Maybe you should form FESS, and introduce "ethics" into it, and then everyone would know from the get-go it's really just you putting a personal moral code on things, and not try to ride the coattails of this whole free vs. pay thing.
Aquamarine
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2007 June 19, 03:13:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Quorneater"
There are a handful of people here who dislike me personally and are trying to get at me by attacking what is a perfectly good and popular website.

I don't know or care who you are and I still think FFSS is a bunch of counterproductive nonsense. "Popular" it may be (cliquey jerk-circles tend to be that), but whether or not it's "good" is strictly your opinion. In fact, we were expressing our reasons for believing that it's quite the opposite, and that's only because you brought FFSS into this in the first place.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2007 June 19, 14:56:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok guys, turns out Wicked Sims has been attacked. Regarding their error logs, Jess told me this:

'I am going through today's error logs and there are tons of ip's hitting us, trying to connect to files that never existed, causing insane amounts of errors. '

So it's settled, free sites are actively being attacked and a very illegal way. This is a new low.

Inactive
redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2007 June 19, 15:07:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok guys, turns out Wicked Sims has been attacked. Regarding their error logs, Jess told me this:

'I am going through today's error logs and there are tons of ip's hitting us, trying to connect to files that never existed, causing insane amounts of errors. '

So it's settled, free sites are actively being attacked and a very illegal way. This is a new low.

Well that sucks! How can we help?
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2007 June 19, 15:08:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Destroy paysites ofcourse! :|

Inactive
MizzKitty
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2007 June 19, 15:21:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There has to be something one can do to kill the perpetrators.

*loads up machine gun* Who goes first? Thomass?  :twisted:

Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2007 June 19, 15:37:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't hate Inge either so why she is pulling this, "Y'all be hating me so you trash my site," I don't know.  ~_~  

Having such a wide and varied community such as Sims 2 to conform to one set of rules is redonkulous and doesn't work.  Heck, I can't even get people in WoW to use the friggin' markings to mean the same things.  It's like trying to tell a ragin' bull where to go with a very thin cord.

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
leilatigress
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2007 June 19, 17:24:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can't Wicked make the administrators of her hosting site deal with the hacking since technically not her fault they are hacking her and by hacking her trying to get to the host.  (hides as I show just how little I know about rights of hosting sites)

f you have nothing witty to say it is better to be silent
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: