PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 22:32:50

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  New confirmation
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: New confirmation  (Read 35060 times)
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
New confirmation
« Reply #105 on: 2007 July 26, 20:16:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "nohead"
Good research there but if this was directed to me then you probably missed that in the scenario i described it wouldn't be .package files that were being sold.

Good research there - you still haven't answered my questions.

Quote from: "calalily"
So this "crime" gives a third party (PMBD for instance) the righ to do whatever they want with his work?
If you are worried about the trademark owners then by all means contact them and let them handle it.

So, this site gives a third party (you for instance) the right to tell others what to do?
If you are worried about the paysite owners then by all means contact them and let them handle it.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Ahem
Landlubber

View Profile
New confirmation
« Reply #106 on: 2007 July 26, 20:18:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

According to the latest news posted on TSR, their guy Steve went to the EA event again this year. What do we make of this??
nohead
ARR!

View Profile
New confirmation
« Reply #107 on: 2007 July 26, 20:24:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good research there - you still haven't answered my questions.

So, this site gives a third party (you for instance) the right to tell others what to do?
If you are worried about the paysite owners then by all means contact them and let them handle it.

Sorry, i thought you were just trying to be funny, didn't realize they were actual questions.

I don't claim that i have any rights whatsoever here.
HawkGirl
ARR!

View Profile
New confirmation
« Reply #108 on: 2007 July 26, 20:53:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ahem"
According to the latest news posted on TSR, their guy Steve went to the EA event again this year. What do we make of this??

Everyone subscribed to the inside scoop or owns a fansite gets an invitation. Here's a little scenerio to ponder Wink I was invited and I am a nobody.

Steve: Hey Will can I ask for donations to support our website? You know bandwidth is very expensive.

Will: Sure!

Few Month later:

Steve: Um Will were not getting enough in donations...we really don't want to shut down. Could we charge a subscription?

Will: Umm I'm not real sure about that...

Steve: After we get enough to pay the badnwidth bills we'll stop charging.

Will: Ok I guess that would be ok then, but you will stop charging once bandwidth is met?

Steve: I assure you we will, all money will be used to cover bandwidth, server bills and that is it.

Did they? No. Did they tell him they would be paying people to create CC? No. Did they think they pulled the wool over a nice guy's eyes that was willing to work with them? Yes. Do they think he now supports them after being used to support their whole family? They might. Does he really? I don't think so. He didn't have the means to fight what has been happening, held off cause he's a nice guy and wanted to give them the chance to do what was right, did they? No. So he turns over everything to EA....nice little scenerio is it not? Is that how it happened? ...

How many millions have they made over the years off Will's work from TSR alone? Anyone think he's not entitled to some of it? I think he should get every penny made above and beyond bandwidth costs from everyone of these sites.

ive every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgement.

This above all: to thine own self be true.
nohead
ARR!

View Profile
New confirmation
« Reply #109 on: 2007 July 26, 22:02:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow what a fairytale!
Do you actually believe it yourself?

Oh, kaos kind of made the same point now Smiley.
Yaardarm Monkey
ARR!

View Profile
New confirmation
« Reply #110 on: 2007 July 26, 22:02:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

3 words for ya, go look em up   :wink:

Letter of Marque

in this case, not for a monarch, but the community

yarrrr     Cheesy     yarrrr
Yaardarm Monkey
ARR!

View Profile
New confirmation
« Reply #111 on: 2007 July 26, 22:05:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow what a fairytale!
Do you actually believe it yourself?

Oh, kaos kind of made the same point now Smiley.

oh yeah....when you cant answer simple questions "suddenly" 2 others pop up (ahem and kaos) saying the exact thing you do and in the same fashion too   :wink:
nohead
ARR!

View Profile
New confirmation
« Reply #112 on: 2007 July 26, 22:07:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Yaardarm Monkey"
oh yeah....when you cant answer simple questions "suddenly" 2 others pop up (ahem and kaos) saying the exact thing you do and in the same fashion too   :wink:

Getting paranoid are we?
What simple questions did i fail to answer?
redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
New confirmation
« Reply #113 on: 2007 July 26, 22:39:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think nohead's goal is to talk us to death. He reminds me of a 3 year old asking why constantly.

To recap:

Paysites violate the EULA agreement

EA supports file-sharing both on the Exchange and here

Paysites are bad for the community, "baiting and luring" us for their own profit

Paysite owners have done some really underhanded things

If you don't agree, fine. Go create your hypothetical program that will allow you to sell CC and circumvent the EULA.  :roll:
Yaardarm Monkey
ARR!

View Profile
New confirmation
« Reply #114 on: 2007 July 26, 23:08:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ok, lets try it again...

Do you believe that Exnem (paysite owner) owns or has full legal right to change a financial cost for a teddy bear (EA copyright package file) of a Disney character (Disney copyright) for use in the Sims2 game?  

Yes or No

Do you believe that Exnem (paysite owner) owns or has full legal right to charge a financial cost for a poster (EA copyright package file) of a Disney character (Disney copyright) for use in the Sims2 game?  

Yes or No
nohead
ARR!

View Profile
New confirmation
« Reply #115 on: 2007 July 26, 23:09:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "redisenchanted"

To recap:

Paysites violate the EULA agreement

EA supports file-sharing both on the Exchange and here

Paysites are bad for the community, "baiting and luring" us for their own profit

Paysite owners have done some really underhanded things

If you don't agree, fine. Go create your hypothetical program that will allow you to sell CC and circumvent the EULA.  :roll:

Thank you for the summary, i appreciate it! Smiley
The following is not directed to you personally as it looks like this is extracted from the collective "wisdom" of this site.

#1 Yes they just might, as it currently stands. We've seen indications that they don't actually want to target the paysites with the EULA though, i'm referring to the questions that HP sent and how they acted on them.

#2 Do you know for a fact that they support what PMBD is doing?

#3 If you have a problem with the fact that someone might make money out if this then by all means go for the free alternatives. How does the existence of paysites hurt the community?

#4 Uhm, not much to go on here, are you saying they are all generally mean? Are all paysites equally mean? All of them do exactly the same mean things?
nohead
ARR!

View Profile
New confirmation
« Reply #116 on: 2007 July 26, 23:16:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Yaardarm Monkey"
ok, lets try it again...

Do you believe that Exnem (paysite owner) owns or has full legal right to change a financial cost for a teddy bear (EA copyright package file) of a Disney character (Disney copyright) for use in the Sims2 game?  

Yes or No

Do you believe that Exnem (paysite owner) owns or has full legal right to charge a financial cost for a poster (EA copyright package file) of a Disney character (Disney copyright) for use in the Sims2 game?  

Yes or No

Aha, you didn't like my previous answer? OK then:

#1. No
#2. No

I don't think he is in full legal right since both cases violates the trademarks of Disney.

Do i think that this gives anyone the right to steal his work? No.
AW
ARR!

aka Armywife

View Profile
New confirmation
« Reply #117 on: 2007 July 26, 23:24:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nohead - (I feel funny calling someone that but ok) I just want to address why I think paysites are wrong or that they should be free.  

1.  When you purchase something, it should come with some kind of money back guarantee.  I heard the arguments, but really, when most paysites photoshop their pictures, you're not actually buying what they are advertising.
2.  When your sub runs out, and there is a new EP released that makes what you previously bought incompatible, why should you have to by another sub just to upgrade the item you already paid for?
3.  When you have already spent your money, and I do speak from more than 1 personal experience, and it is not working properly, you cannot for the most part get help with it.  The attitude is that you paid for it so why should I care?

Those are just the top 3 that I have off the top of my head.  EA is a business, with rights and protection provided legally for not only the entity, but for the customer/end user.  If you are a business person, and you are in sales, you generally cater to your chosen market.  This is not the attitude with most paysites.  I will not say all, but I will say a good percentage don't care about the actual gamer or user.  It is about who can make more money, show more creations and get their objects downloaded more than others.  Let's be honest, it's all about the money, not the consumer.  Therein lies my issue with paysites for the most part, I have more, but these are the highlights.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
nohead
ARR!

View Profile
New confirmation
« Reply #118 on: 2007 July 26, 23:39:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks armywife for taking the effort!
Quote from: "armywife"

1.  When you purchase something, it should come with some kind of money back guarantee.  I heard the arguments, but really, when most paysites photoshop their pictures, you're not actually buying what they are advertising.
2.  When your sub runs out, and there is a new EP released that makes what you previously bought incompatible, why should you have to by another sub just to upgrade the item you already paid for?
3.  When you have already spent your money, and I do speak from more than 1 personal experience, and it is not working properly, you cannot for the most part get help with it.  The attitude is that you paid for it so why should I care?

Excellent points! I agree on all of them actually Smiley.

Have you tried to take this up with the guilty ones?
AW
ARR!

aka Armywife

View Profile
New confirmation
« Reply #119 on: 2007 July 26, 23:53:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With 2 of my subscriptions (please keep in mind that this was BEFORE I ever knew about these file sharing sites and I have documented proof)
When I sent a message to the creator or admin, I was fussed at and told that it was basically "tough shit".  My account was cancelled with days left and no refund.

With the other 3 I have had subscriptions with (keep in mind above disclaimer), 2 never bothered to respond and 1 did respond with they didn't know how to make the bed animations work the way Maxis intended.

This is why I have issues with paysites, because there is no standard or requirement to be met, it is subjective to each site which does not produce a positive outcome for customers or EA.  If EA condones these paysites, in my opinion, they will also have to have a legal SOP, especially since they are a publically traded company on the NYSE.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: