PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 06:25:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Free The Sims: Letter Writing Campaign
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Free The Sims: Letter Writing Campaign  (Read 10703 times)
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
Free The Sims: Letter Writing Campaign
« on: 2007 May 22, 19:48:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There has been a great deal of discussion in the community in the last few days about contact with EA Legal in regard to paysites. As many of you know, recent contact has offered new hope to some, and despite naysayers, I believe it is time to make our voice clearly heard. Nouk's petition is a great step, and worth signing. Here is the next one.

I have spoken with a lawyer friend at another gaming company, and he assured me that sending letters by postal mail will at the very least ensure the matter gets EA's attention. Of course, he could not predict the outcome, but he felt that the most negative thing would be EA's decision to let paysites stand.

That being said, I am now confident that lobbying EA's Legal department is an appropriate action.

Linked here is a letter I have composed; if you believe, as I do, that EA should take the abuse of the EULA seriously, and free the Sims content for all to enjoy, please consider sending this letter.

The letter is saved in RTF format, which means you should be able to open it with your document program (Word, Word Perfect, etc.).

Once open, please follow these instructions:

1. Be sure to change the information indicated in bold BEFORE you print; note that there is a sentence in the middle where you can highlight a site in particular that you wish to bring their attention to.

1a. Remove bold formatting before printing.

2. Be sure to put your return address on the envelope. This is just good sense.

3. Be sure to sign the letter before mailing. (sounds silly, but it's worth reminding.)

While I know there are EA legal departments scattered throughout the world, I am asking you to make your statement to EA corporate headquarters; those of you outside North America will have to spend a bit more for an airmail stamp; I hope you think it's worth it.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

If you don't wish to open the file, the text is reprinted here (the rtf includes the address, etc.):
As a fan of The Sims and The Sims2, I am saddened by the unmitigated growth and greed of fansites requiring money for user-created custom content.

I understand that your End User License Agreement prohibits paysites; in the third paragraph, your EULA states, “You may include materials created with the Tools & Materials on your personal noncommercial website for the noncommercial benefit of the fan community for EA's products”. Unfortunately, a growing number of sites are blatently ignoring this statement and benefiting commercially. A list of 87 paysites, including pay content and pay structure, was sent to your department on May 21, 2007, should you require further detail. In particular, I find www.thesimsresource.com and www.openhouseforsims.com especially offensive, as they ask for an unreasonable subscription rate, which means subscribers would be paying more for content than they did for the game and its expansion packs.

Paysites seem to have gone unchecked by Maxis and EA – statements made in chat logs by employees, such as this exchange:

Chat Participant: What about people trying to charge or make money off of your free hosting? Will you allow that or ban them?

MaxisLuc (Sep 18, 2003 6:24:49 PM): My goal is to allow for that.

This is just one example among many that has discouraged the fan community, and we have found internal methods of combating paysites, from filesharing sites to public lists and accreditation of sites that comply with the EULA.

However, recent contact with your department has heartened me, and I now believe you have the information and the will to pursue violators of the EULA.

Custom content is what keeps many players interested in The Sims; many people have several gigabytes of custom content that enhances their lots, their Sims, and their play experience. This content is valuable to us, and all of it should be available to all of us.

Please do not let this matter drop. The fan community is in turmoil, poor and young fans are denied access to what should be free content, and paysite owners are making money off your product.

Sincerely,

Note: this has been cross posted at Insim, FFFSS, and SFV.

ETA: for those who wish to fax... Fax Number 1-650-628-1422

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
darkangel
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2007 May 22, 19:48:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're made of awesome Hecubus.  :wink:

pescado's fangirl*

sharing the free love, no hidden catch, no strings attached...just free love
<3
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 May 22, 19:52:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Great letter, great idea. I'll print and personalise it, and then will try to remember to send it.

Is it possible for you to include the corporate EA address for those of us too lazy to search?

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
foxyloxy
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 May 22, 19:54:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Awesome letter, and idea.

Dumb question. What address do I send this to?
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 May 22, 19:54:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The address is on the letter. I only copied in the body. <grin>

FAQ
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2007 May 22, 19:56:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What about sending it as a fax.  They would get it quicker.

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2007 May 22, 20:03:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's a good idea too.

Fax Number 650-628-1422

FAQ
alia
ARR!

Ms. Smartypants

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 May 22, 20:14:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Edit: Gods you people are fast.

Nevermind. Smiley

SunSun a.k.a. Shannis

I aten't dead yet.
SparklePlenty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2007 May 22, 20:16:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, Hecuba, for writing the letter, and for enabling us to send a version on to EA. Good work.

Still watching you guys
Lilyroseisapirate
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 May 22, 20:46:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i am also going to make a personal note that on the official EA sponsored sim webisite they they allow links to "subscription" sites allowed, which mean the people in charge of running the fan site page are aware of this as well. i am not sure who runs Thesim2.ea.com site, but i am guessing its the "maxoids."  so along the line, these people knew the sites existed. do you think this is worth posting at the sims 2 community or not? i am not sure if they would get their panties in a twist or not. i think i will send miss hysterical paroxysm a PM and ask her if she would like it. i may not always agree with her policies, but i do know she is not a fan of paysites. thank you hecubus for your time and concern.

quot;In Soviet Russia, you do not steal content, content steals YOU!\" <br />                             -Pescado
Nina
ARR!

Asspirate!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 May 22, 20:51:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dude, I don't see the address anywhere... and I also don't have a printer. *sulk*  :evil:

ll big paysites should be reported to IRS (do it.)
If someone does it, let me know so I can masturbate.

(I made the icon... don't steal my asspirate? Sad )
Chinchillagrl
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2007 May 22, 20:55:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine is on it's way to Redwood City, CA. Cheesy

Sarah (^..^)
Lorelei
ARR!

I'm in UR booty, downloading UR payfiles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2007 May 22, 22:21:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Time to hunt for some online free downloadable FAX software again!

I only ever need to send a FAQ when it's for business, and I've been in grad school for a while. I have no idea where my old program is, actually. It may have even been for my Mac.

http://britpoptarts.4shared.com
Celebrity / self Sims, NortWare Begone!, Zork 1-3, variety of MP3s, MATY stuff, more.

I can haz a cult?!einz!!1

What 'gap' is?
Lilyroseisapirate
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 May 22, 23:05:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

lol, do you think they will have to rewrite the book of torts to include paysites?  :lol:

quot;In Soviet Russia, you do not steal content, content steals YOU!\" <br />                             -Pescado
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2007 May 23, 00:06:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nina, the address is on the rtf file that you download (see Linked here' in the original post)...which is why I said 'the rtf includes the address'.

FAQ
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: