PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 22:09:22

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  You know the funny thing...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: You know the funny thing...  (Read 53403 times)
avic
ARR!

View Profile
You know the funny thing...
« Reply #150 on: 2006 November 14, 02:10:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Plum"
I like this thread.  It didn't get all evil like all the other ones do.

They can, and are.  But because the items they're making aren't really theirs, they're also up for grabs.  Kind of.  I'm sure you've already realized how fuzzy this part gets.

They have.  EA [read: the creators of the stuff these people are basing their work on] says we can share their items up the wazoo.  The CC creators can alter the product to make it look however they choose, but the product is EA's.

I'd pay to see all the complaints PayPal is getting over this.  So many people have said they're going to complain.   :lol:

Sorry, I didn't mean to interject myself right in the middle of your debate.  I'm just bored.  Feel free to ignore me.

I'd be kind of interested to learn just how much money the better known pay sites are making.  It wouldn't make me stop paying for content I want, but hey - I'm a very curious type of person, though, and enquiring minds want to know ;-)

As for the thread not getting evil, it's been very nice, and led me to believe that there are some fine people here, whether or not I agree with everything.  Also, I have to say that it's been the wondermousness of BlueSoup, JesseRocket, Torque, and a couple of others that have quickly stomped on any embers before they could turn into a raging inferno that's kept this thread so nice.  Danke :-)
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: 2006 November 14, 02:11:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wal Mart isn't pure capitalism; their low prices are supplimented by too many subsidies.

EDIT:  I don't know why I even bothered to mention that.  Continue ignoring me kplzthx.

Well okay, I guess more point was more that there is far too much evil in captalism for me to think it's a good thing.  Far too much gets compromised, and abused in the system... but yeah comparing greedy paysites to it is a good example.  They do have alot in common.

Quote from: "HotNWet"
whats sfv? is like another pirate site? what does it stand for?

Link in my www Wink

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
Lackey
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 2006 November 14, 02:13:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "jesserocket"
Sims File Vault. It's a very nice site, with somewhat different sharing policies to here. Smiley

Now I am gonna have to kill you. Ok your dead! :wink:

edit because it was backwards
HotNWet
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 2006 November 14, 02:14:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims File Vault. It's a very nice site, with somewhat different sharing policies to here. Smiley

im sorry i already got the link thanks sherry
HotNWet
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 2006 November 14, 02:14:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Lackey"

Ok your dead! Now I am gonna have to kill you. :wink:

oh nooo she was just trying to help!!
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: 2006 November 14, 02:14:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Check my www Wink

Why Lacky, we not supposed to mention it here?

HotNWet
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 2006 November 14, 02:16:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Sherry"
Check my www Wink

thank you sherry lol i didn't know what you ment by www lol but are they worth signing up for?
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 2006 November 14, 02:16:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, I didn't mean to interject myself right in the middle of your debate.  I'm just bored.  Feel free to ignore me.

Ignore you? With *that* avatar?

*staring fixedly wondering when he will get a facefull.

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
Plum
ARR!

Can I has cc?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: 2006 November 14, 02:16:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To be honest, I wouldn't mind milking the cash cow a little myself, but I would feel like I'd be giving a big slap in the face to the community, which has provided me with so many GB of gorgeous (and free) CC my game cries out in pain.

And I have no problem with pay sites taking donations, even if those donations exceed their cost and they just keep it as profit.  It's the slap in the face I don't appreciate, along with the issues of the creations only being theirs as far as altering it from EA's work goes.  If that makes sense.  I'm falling asleep here.

EDIT:
Quote from: "Lemmiwinks"

Ignore you? With *that* avatar?

*staring fixedly wondering when he will get a facefull.

Well ignore the text and just have fun with your facial then.  Try not to get any in your eye--it burns.

Lackey
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 2006 November 14, 02:17:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Check my www Wink

No, it is fine, actually the addy is in several post on the board. I am just being a smartass today Cheesy
avic
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 2006 November 14, 02:19:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We must also look at the fact that most of the creators are in fact using pirated software to make the objects that they are selling but not selling because they cant. THe word stealing really needs to be stopped. If you purchase a new movie from Walmart and your mother wants to watch it, do you let her? If you do, Is it stealing? I mean let's face the company that made it never intended for your mother to watch it for free. Before you argue to much, if the movie leaves your home and goes to another home than it is sharing something that the company intended for each household to pay for. Every single file here was paid for by someone. That someone chose to share it. We share things every single day in this world that at least one person had to pay for and the other did not. Anyone that states they have never shared anything to save someone else money, I would have to call a liar. So why so much difference here. Why should we care what the paysites owners think? I dont get it. If you think they are not making a ton of money you are seriously not paying attention. Glam sims has over 5000 members, she said so herself. How many do you think pay a sub? Times that by the cost of her sub. That is a lot of money a month. We are not here to change the world. We are here to offer things to those that can not afford it. I dont know if anyone does or has ever subbed to Glams sims, but if you have, send her an email and complain about something. You might be real surprised by the return email and the rude comments she makes in it. Even so far as to tell you that she has a tone of members and doesnt need your money anyway.

Using your example - it depends.  In loaning the movie to your mom did you give her the DVD which you purchased?  If so, I don't have a problem with that.  While she's borrowing it, you don't have it.  If you want it AND she wants it, somebody will buy another copy (or they should).  Now, if you make her a copy of the DVD and send her off with that copy so that she has the movie AND you have the copy, and only one copy was paid for, well, then, that's theft.

As for sharing things, of course we share things.  My sister-in-law brought me a sack of books that she thought I'd enjoy.  And she was right.  I loved them enough that I want to have a set of the books for myself.  I therefore bought a set of them, because I know that she'll want her books BACK.  That's the nature of letting someone "borrow" something.

As for how much money a paysite makes, I don't see how that matters.  EA could certainly pitch a fit because it violates their EULA (though we've pretty much established that they won't).  If you say that a person or a company shouldn't make a certain amount of profit, then you take away the impetus of people to create, invent, or just go above and beyond in business.  So I don't really care how much money GlamSims makes (other than idle curiosity).   If they can make something that people like enough for them to make money off, good for them.

PS: Good point about half of them using pirated software.  Ick.
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: 2006 November 14, 02:21:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "avic"

I'd be kind of interested to learn just how much money the better known pay sites are making.  It wouldn't make me stop paying for content I want, but hey - I'm a very curious type of person, though, and enquiring minds want to know ;-)

I dunno, SimChic pays her creators.  Or is supposed to, but sometimes doesn't, but that is a different story entirely.  Anhow back a year or so ago when SFV had maybe 300 members or so I remember Creche saying to ignore us and she usually get twice as many members donating to her site each month.  Pretty easy math, let's you assume she is making a decent buck for herself.

jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 2006 November 14, 02:23:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now I am gonna have to kill you. Ok your dead! :wink:

edit because it was backwards

I R ded. Sad

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
avic
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 2006 November 14, 02:24:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well okay, I guess more point was more that there is far too much evil in captalism for me to think it's a good thing.  Far too much gets compromised, and abused in the system... but yeah comparing greedy paysites to it is a good example.  They do have alot in common.

But without capitalism, all any of us could ever hope for would be to work 40-60 hours a week in the corporate grind.  Without the ability to take an idea, service or a product that others are willing to pay for and sell it and make a viable business out of it, what is there aside from working for the Wal-Marts of the world?
Swashbuckler
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 2006 November 14, 02:25:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "avic"

Surely alot, the owner of a TS1 adult paysite in it's dying days(few months before TS2 came out) was averaging USD$1000 a week.  He still runs the site with TS2 content now and says business is booming now.  Meshes purchased from turbosquid, hired staff to do the rest.  Staff can get payed in up to hundreds of dollars for some projects, and he isn't even a popular one(not known enough to make it in /booty).
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: