PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 24, 11:05:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  You know the funny thing...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: You know the funny thing...  (Read 54173 times)
avic
ARR!

View Profile
You know the funny thing...
« on: 2006 November 13, 18:05:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In looking at some of the posts on here listing this reason and that reason... it's funny how you can lie to yourself, eh?  The bottom line is, the people downloading these files are stealing.  And if they're okay with that, fine.  But please, don't hide behind "Paysites are crap" and whatever other dozen excuses you can come with - you're still stealing.  If you don't agree with paysites, fine - don't subscribe to them.  That's the honest thing to do.  Anything else is just making excuses for thievery.
photo
ARR!

Ish a vampeah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 2006 November 13, 18:07:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you people have said this in the past...... its funny how stupid people can be eh? i love that people think that we are going to change our OPINION'S (which the last i checked weren't illegal) just because they say we should because thats the way they feel.... funny eh?

Is a female
Aquamarine
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 November 13, 18:08:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would make a joke about this person being Lizard or VULTURE, but the post is at least coherent this time.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 November 13, 18:09:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pirates steal. They are not the Smurfs, they are the Pirates. All else on this forum is funny crap and ridiculous but juicy slander and gossip. Enjoy your stay.

Also, not everyone who posts here and discusses things, agree with uploading things against someone's will. I would suggest you read through this forum and join the debate!

Inactive
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 November 13, 18:13:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinions on what we're doing.

Filesharing *not stealing* has been around since there were first paysites, TS1 days.  It's just been a lot quieter and less "in your face."

Paysites and donation sets have become so prolific and everyone and their dog is doing them simply because the community at large has accepted them UNTIL NOW.

Well, I think the community *or at least a large part of it* has finally had enough and we're done letting "creators" take advantage of it.  Paysites were never supposed to happen, and if any of us can help it, they will die down.

I have no problem with sites requesting donations, and I will donate when I think a site warrants it.  But I won't stand still for stuff being held hostage, and if I buy something from a paysite/donation site, I will definitely share it with everyone I know (and even people I don't).
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 November 13, 18:42:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Avic, your kind of logic irritates me greatly.
You don't agree with what is going on here, and that's fine. A lot of people don't. But do you honestly think that everyone here is blinkered, and ignorant, and arrogant enough to think there is not another point of view? Why would be lie to ourselves? In this instance, I'm not stealing. Filesharing is not stealing. When I steal, I admit it. I've occasionally shoplifted, I don't sugarcoat it, I STOLE something. Why would I be open about that, and not this?

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
avic
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 November 13, 18:43:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Which is a good argument, Bluesoup.  But it's still stealing.  Whether or not paysites were ever meant to be, whether or not people are tired of paysites, etc. - again, it's just excuses for stealing.  If you're tired of paying for content, don't.  As for "stuff being held hostage" - goodness.  Last I checked, you are not required to have XYZ custom content in your game.  So how is said content being held hostage?  You don't want it, don't pay for it.  But don't delude yourself as to what you're about - theft.

Nouk, thanks :-)  And I get you about Pirates not being the Smurfs.  I'm just amazed (take BlueSoup, for example) at the lies people will tell themselves to feel that they're justified or somehow not stealing.  And yes, I will try to read more as I can.

Lastly, I'll save everyone the trouble of guessing - no, I've never posted here before.  I saw a link in a forum that I frequent last night and previously had no idea that this site existed.
torque
ARR!

all I wanna do, wanna take your moneys!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 November 13, 18:45:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

it's funny how you can lie to yourself, eh?

For example. My friend buys a box of candies. And shares the candies with me. Cause he's such a good friend, of course.

Now. He paid. I didn't. He got candy. I got candy. All is well. All is good.

I didn't grab the candy box and steal it from him. Life is beautiful. O la la.

avic
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 November 13, 18:46:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "jesserocket"
You don't agree with what is going on here, and that's fine. A lot of people don't. But do you honestly think that everyone here is blinkered, and ignorant, and arrogant enough to think there is not another point of view? Why would be lie to ourselves? In this instance, I'm not stealing. Filesharing is not stealing. When I steal, I admit it. I've occasionally shoplifted, I don't sugarcoat it, I STOLE something. Why would I be open about that, and not this?

Please explain to me how it is that you aren't stealing?  You've gained something in a way that was not intended, against the owner's wishes.  How is that not stealing?  just because something is in a digital format and not a solid bit of mass that you can hold in your hand doesn't mean that it's not a tangible thing with value.  Do you also "fileshare" games while gaming companies are going belly-up?  I don't get your logic that you feel it isn't stealing just because it's digital.

So yeah, IMHO, you are lying to yourself.
avic
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 November 13, 18:49:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: ".torque."
it's funny how you can lie to yourself, eh?

For example. My friend buys a box of candies. And shares the candies with me. Cause he's such a good friend, of course.

Now. He paid. I didn't. He got candy. I got candy. All is well. All is good.

I didn't grab the candy box and steal it from him. Life is beautiful. O la la.

And the problem with that logic... your friend's box of chocolates has a fixed number of candies in it.  Whether he shares with you, eats them all himself, or gives them to his girlfriend, once those chocolates are gone, they're gone.  He's not magically duplicating the box so that no matter how many he gives away or eats he's always got a full box of chocolate.

Next.
torque
ARR!

all I wanna do, wanna take your moneys!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 November 13, 18:50:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And the problem with your logic is...it isn't about the fricking chocolates. it was about the POINT of that story.

Next.

sheehaz
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 November 13, 18:52:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado do I even have to ask?  Cheesy
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 November 13, 18:54:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you think I am lying to myself, well you just don't know me at all. Tongue

First of all, I've spent well over $200 on custom content alone.  I never said I needed any of it.  When I said that content was "being held hostage," I meant that creators with overinflated egos have determined that their shit is worth well over what Maxis/EA has determined their own stuff to be worth.

Do you really think it's fair for some shite creator to detemine that 8 lousy skins is worth $5 which is a quarter of what EA charges for an entire add-on stuff pack?

Give me a fucking break.

Also, I don't have any of this shit in my game.  I have very specific creators that I love and I've happily donated to them where I could.  Most of what I have are from free sites.  The only reason I donate to paysites is because I either love it, or I got it specifically to share with others.

My mother and my kindergarten teacher both told me it's polite to share your toys, and who am I to argue with that kind of wisdom? Wink
MMEStalker
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 November 13, 18:56:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "avic"

You've gained something in a way that was not intended, against the owner's wishes.  How is that not stealing?  

Because they don't own the rights to it? It's not stealing in the sense of taking something away from someone, since they still have it too. It could only be stealing in the way that copying things which, can be and are, legally copyrighted/trademarked is stealing. And since the creators can't do that, how is it stealing?

Not that I would care about it even if it was stealing, to be honest.
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 November 13, 18:59:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "avic"
Quote from: "jesserocket"

Please explain to me how it is that you aren't stealing?  You've gained something in a way that was not intended, against the owner's wishes.  How is that not stealing?  just because something is in a digital format and not a solid bit of mass that you can hold in your hand doesn't mean that it's not a tangible thing with value.  Do you also "fileshare" games while gaming companies are going belly-up?  I don't get your logic that you feel it isn't stealing just because it's digital.

So yeah, IMHO, you are lying to yourself.

Okay. For a start, I havn't downloaded anything from here. Not that I don't intend to, but I need a new PC. So I personally have obtained nothing, let's not get personal about this. But as has been explained many times, filesharing is not the same as stealing. Filesharing is a redistribution.

What WOULD be stealing, is, for example, giving out passwords to paysites, or finding some way of leeching, thus costing a creator bandwidth, for example. Stealing is something that would deprive the original owner of something, be it a THING, or money they would have gotten for that THING. Yes, potentially, a paysite owner will get less money for files being paid for, but, they're not supposed to be making profit, if they charge, they are only supposed to be covering site costs.

Its like...if I drew a picture, and I had my piece of paper, and my crayons, and I gave that picture to someone, and it was a really pretty picture...That someone photocopies my picture, and give it to their grandma...it's costing me nothing for them to do that, they've used their own paper to copy it onto, my crayons aren't being worked down at all, it's all good, no stealing there...

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: