PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 14:47:47

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Interesting post on Sim2.com
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Interesting post on Sim2.com  (Read 17941 times)
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Interesting post on Sim2.com
« Reply #30 on: 2006 November 18, 15:13:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They are not taking an actual stand on the issue would upset a large number of fans in either direction.  Being neutral pisses off both groups, but it still allows either to go and do whatever they want.  EA is not going to take a stand now just because a bunch of simmers have found PMBD and are excited and aggravated about the issue.  Why would they?  They have dealt with it too many times in the past to know the with a little waiting it will blow over.  

flyonthewall the issue won't go away, but everyone's intensity about it will.  It always does.  EA is only looking out for EA.  What more does anyone really expect they would do?  They have successfuly avoided the issue for at least 5 years that I have been aware of it's existance.  They will probably continue to do so.

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 November 18, 15:58:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA doesn't want to take sides on this issue because it doesn't directly affect them as it stands now, but taking a position would set themselves up in a potentially lose/lose position: The EA EULA is a frankly legally shaky document that may not hold up in a fight. EA does not wish to attack paysites because they may lose. Paysites do not wish to attack EA because they could lose, and it would be expensive. EA doesn't wish to attack us because that would essentially be shooting their own EULA. Thus, this situation is lose/lose, and the only thing they really CAN do is to pull a Lythdan: FINGERS IN EARS!

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Vaughna
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 November 18, 17:49:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA will do whatever is cheapest for them.  They won't spend one cent on lawyers fighting paysites.  But technically, I think they would win since it is their product, and in some cases, their tools being used for sale.
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 November 18, 23:01:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is a shame thast instead a saying anything concrete, they had to do a 'You're BOTH my favourite kid!' thing, BUT, at least this way, they have said something, and have not just, in a kneejerk sort of way gone: 'ThepiratesarebadOMG!!' or something...what I'm attempting to say is, however lamely, they have now adressed the issue in a way, and it has in no way condemned us, which does, in a way, lend us extra credibility, in the eyes of most sheep who own't listen to proper argument...

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
flyonthewall
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 November 18, 23:07:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's true. For all the whining paysite owners do about "stealing", there's not really anything they can do about it because EA won't choose a side.

Why do paysite owners think the issue is so black and white?

url=http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/peggy/]peggy sims 2[/url]peggy sims 2peggy sims 2
Mac_in_Black
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 November 18, 23:19:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA is enjoying the show. What happens when a parent states "You're BOTH my favorite!"? The kids take care of it, the decision is theirs. EA is waiting for the kids to get serious. Staying neutral is safe. There's the paysite side, the anti-paysite side, and the EA side.  Tongue

I really think creators that are so huffy about their stuff and get honked off so easily need to get a real job and learn how to enjoy a hobby for what it is supposed to be... fun.

Hey, Ryu Hayabusa has a point, "Life is difficult if your soul is imperfect." You're doing something wrong, it's only going to get harder. As long as there is an ounce of good left in this world the bad will never win. Thus, the eternal struggle.

I got y'all misty eyed didn't I? I know, shut up. I'll go read a book.  :roll:
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: 2006 November 18, 23:20:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think the EULA is all that shaky, I think it's something that EA could solidify as law pretty easily if they wanted to.  It's just easier, as many have mentioned for them, from all standpoints not to.  In my mind they have pretty much taken a stand already, but it's in the enforcing part they lack.  It's like your mom threatening to ground you if you don't clean your room.  If she never enforces the punishment, are you going to take what she says seriously?  I think it's not so much about black and white as it is about the fact that EA has been ignoring that paysites have been getting away with something they shouldn't for so long now, well it's hard to ground them and fix such an epic problem which really has little effect on them where it matters.  In their profits.  So they'll ignore the mess and move on selling EPs and stuff packs.

Quote from: "Mac_in_Black"
EA is enjoying the show.

I doubt that.  I am sure they wish it would end as much as we wish they would take a firm stand on the issue.  Because eveytime this issue pops up they have to spend alot of time and effort pretending to ignore and be neutral about it, which is probably a hard thing to do.

Quote from: "jesserocket"
... they have said something, and have not just, in a kneejerk sort of way gone: 'ThepiratesarebadOMG!!' or something...what I'm attempting to say is, however lamely, they have now adressed the issue in a way, and it has in no way condemned us, which does, in a way, lend us extra credibility, in the eyes of most sheep who own't listen to proper argument...

True but commenting on filesharing as bad would have more implications than *filesharing* not being allowed.  It would mean dealing with massive complaints on the exchange and even moreso than that, taking a stand against filesharing, would be like backing paysites, and discrediting their own EULA.  There are plenty of people who do not fileshare or like filesharing, but who also do not like the idea of paysites and what they have become.  They know they would upset more than filesharers if they took a stand against us.

Vaughna
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 November 18, 23:42:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Sherry"
So they'll ignore the mess and move on selling EPs and stuff packs.

I would think the paysites would harm EA's profits as many people would rather buy a paysite set than a pack.  The packs are kind of bland in comparision.
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: 2006 November 18, 23:51:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think stuff packs target a different audience.  There are alot of people who prefer Maxis content only, crazy but I have stumbled upon a few forums to see that this is true.  Forums that share all those "special" Maxis gifts from preorder this and hidden thats.  There are enough people who need to have everything too, the minor new objects or animations are enough to make them empty their pockets.  I don't think paysites existance effect the stuff pack sales either way.  Either you are into them or not.  There could be no paysites and I still wouldn't buy those packs.  However, I guess you could argue that the existance of CC in general might hurt the sales of stuff packs, but then with no CC I probably wouldn't still be interested in the game itself.  It's a conundrum for sure.

tIIsuggas
ARR!

Avatar V2.013.6 (alpha) Unsupported.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 November 18, 23:59:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If EA decided to enforce their EULA, and go after the paysites, they would only need to make an example of one.

They wouldn't need to challenge them all, the rest would dive for cover.

Either that, or re-word the EULA.  And  I presume that would be a mighty headache, with all the copies already installed on peoples machines.  I admit I am ignorant where EULA changing goes.

"Tomatoes don't hurt" I said with a grin.
The next one did, it came in a tin.

My stuff at  MTS2
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 2006 November 19, 00:13:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "tIIsuggas"
If EA decided to enforce their EULA, and go after the paysites, they would only need to make an example of one.

They wouldn't need to challenge them all, the rest would dive for cover.

Either that, or re-word the EULA.  And  I presume that would be a mighty headache, with all the copies already installed on peoples machines.  I admit I am ignorant where EULA changing goes.

I don't know about that.  EULA says non-commercial, not no paysites.  So techinically you could have a very shitty hosting plan, but still be non-commerical or claiming to be.  Infact a hell of alot of sites still claim that now, even though we know it's almost impossible that it is so.

It might cause Paysites to drop there cost a bit and then charge they are non-commercial I doubt though most sites would cave in to it though unless they knew EA was going to actively investigate, which we know they would not.

lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 November 19, 06:36:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"It’s like bigamy: If a man is married to two women, and they don't care, there's nothing anyone can do about it. It’s still "against the law" but no one other than one of the wives can press charges."

Not true. If it is against the law, *anyone* including the government itself can press charges.

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
notveryawesome
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 November 19, 07:10:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it seems obvious to me that the reason for EA's neutrality in this matter is strictly profit-driven. They don't want to take sides, because they know that both sides are consumers of EA products. Why would any business-savvy corporation want to risk alienating a large segment of its consumer-base for any reason? It just wouldn't make good business sense to do so.

'm thinking of naming all of my sims Sephora. That way, when one sim yells to another sim that s/he's got a phone call, it will actually make sense.
Plum
ARR!

Can I has cc?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: 2006 November 19, 07:51:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "notveryawesome"
Well, it seems obvious to me that the reason for EA's neutrality in this matter is strictly profit-driven. They don't want to take sides, because they know that both sides are consumers of EA products. Why would any business-savvy corporation want to risk alienating a large segment of its consumer-base for any reason? It just wouldn't make good business sense to do so.

That's my thought on it too.  Well put.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: