PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 23, 03:33:09

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5285 Members
Latest Member: breakinme
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Universal Sims...
0 Members and 18 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Universal Sims...  (Read 79578 times)
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #120 on: 2007 March 31, 16:42:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No he isn't per say. He goes with popular view.

And a note: I don't dislike you or anything, just wanted to show you a double standard I think FFFS is having. It's not against you personally. So if it sounds that way, I'm sorry.

Inactive
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Universal Sims...
« Reply #121 on: 2007 March 31, 18:25:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

See, I don't mind the idea of distinguishing between sites that actually use pay meshes and link to the sources and completely free sites.

But essentially blacklisting sites for allowing everyone access to files is self-defeating.  It's also half-ass, and it's pandering to the status quo.

Now I'd really like to know what's going on here.  A site I visit was recently brought down under a DDoS attack and the site owners didn't get hit with a huge bandwidth bill.  They did get kinda booted from their hosting, as the company didn't want to deal with an account that seemed to be a target for attacks, but they didn't get stuck with a bill.

So somone is getting ripped off somewhere in this arrangement.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #122 on: 2007 March 31, 18:38:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

DDoS operates on a different principle from bandwidth drain. In a DDoS, the idea is to overload the server with spurious requests from many different machines and prevent it from doing anything at all. Bandwidth saturation is one way to accomplish this, but usually the weakest links that fail first are the server processes, which consume all the server resources and then crash.

Bandwidth drain, on the other hand, is aimed at producing a sustained high load that does not necessarily disrupt service, as disrupting services would stop you from being able to drain off bandwidth if you overload and crash the server.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Universal Sims...
« Reply #123 on: 2007 March 31, 23:16:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, okay, I never even thought about that.  Duh!  I know there have been some attacks that did use bandwidth, but yeah the recent one I'm thinking of did crash the server.

But isn't the "story" that the bandwidth spike was probably an attack, since there wasn't an exceptional amount of content on the site?  And wouldn't a responsible host take down the site or change the DNS temporarily?

I know that's what happened to the site I was talking about after they got the server back up.  They temporarily changed the DNS.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #124 on: 2007 April 01, 01:36:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh, if people are silly enough to take aim at your DNS, it's funny to redirect that DNS to 127.0.0.1. Tongue

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Universal Sims...
« Reply #125 on: 2007 April 01, 03:07:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"
Heh, if people are silly enough to take aim at your DNS, it's funny to redirect that DNS to 127.0.0.1. Tongue

That is exactly what they did! Cheesy
callmeird
ARR!

Janeway: More Awesome Than YOU

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #126 on: 2007 April 01, 03:41:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"

Webmaster humour! I don't get it. <.<

yarr yarr hump hump!

HystericalParoxysm: Pretty sure the last argument the paysites have to stand on is "Waaah, you're mean!" now.

Pescado: Ah, but I know how to defuse that one easily:

"Yes. Yes, I am."
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #127 on: 2007 April 01, 04:05:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "callmeird"
Webmaster humour! I don't get it. <.<

127.0.0.1 is "localhost", meaning the user's computer. If a user attacks this IP, he's shooting at himself.

RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
Universal Sims...
« Reply #128 on: 2007 April 01, 04:08:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh smart and sneaky!

Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #129 on: 2007 April 01, 08:08:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyway it looks pretty much like he realises his scam has been rumbled and he's given up with us.  Though it looks like some people have been fooled, unless he's inventing the figures.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
chlyn
ARR!

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #130 on: 2007 April 01, 18:41:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Note to self: remember to work "Go f*ck 127.0.0.1" into conversations.

'm telling you, boys, I've been across the world
I want an elegant intelligent Boston girl
- Chris Trapper
Requip
ARR!

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #131 on: 2007 April 01, 20:10:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nathan's latest post at N99 -

Ok, I contacted LayeredTech, and they replied on 03/29/07.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Layered Technologies. We would like to address your concerns, however for security purposes we cannot. This email does not appear to be on file with our company. Please correspond only from your registered billing e-mail address. If you would like to register this email address as well, please send your request from your primary email and we can add the new email address as a secondary contact.

Thank you,
Accounts Department
Layered Technologies
accounts@layeredtech.com
1(866)230-0800 Toll-free
(972)398-7998
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I called them, and basically said since I wasn't on the account they couldn't help me. So, I emailed Delphy asking him to add my email address to the account so I could ask LayeredTech some questions. He replied saying it would be better to transfer the server onto a separate account, controlled completely by me. Where would that leave me with the bill? I don't know. He did say he would accept 3 payments of $783/month. That doesn't help me much though.

If I were to put the server onto my own account (which I do want to do), I would want to clear everything with LayeredTech FIRST, so I replied to him saying this.

Quote:

I think we will do that but before going ahead wanted to ask LayeredTech a few things about the server, and moving etc, but for them to discuss that my email needs to be on the account. Id like to do that before finalizing the transfer.

Nathan

He replied saying he is reluctant to add my email because of security issues, which I can understand, but there is no other option at this point, so I replied with this:

Quote:
It would only be temporary. Perhaps you could email them telling them to accept emails from my address, that should work too.

Then he replied asking me which questions I would like to ask them. Well there are many, I wrote a whole letter for them, something I would like to speak with them directly about. So I replied to him with this:

Quote:

I already emailed them my questions, they wont reply until you confirm to them that its okay to email me.

That last reply was on March 30th. I have yet to receive a reply from Delphy, though he has been on MSN - no answer there either.

I really want to speak to LayeredTech, but right now it seems I've reached a dead end.

Sorry I didnt post earlier, but I was waiting for a real response from LayeredTech...and well that just hasn't happened yet. It's in Delphy's hands right now, and I hope that he will allow me to communicate directly with LayeredTech.

- Nathan

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
Universal Sims...
« Reply #132 on: 2007 April 01, 20:32:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't decide on whether he is the bad guy or the good guy O.O This is so confusing

chlyn
ARR!

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #133 on: 2007 April 01, 20:43:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It sounds like the account is in Delphy's name, and Delphy sublet space to Nathan.

If LT doesn't even recognize Nathan, then the bill's not his problem; it's Delphy's.

'm telling you, boys, I've been across the world
I want an elegant intelligent Boston girl
- Chris Trapper
HideTheRum
ARR!

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #134 on: 2007 April 01, 20:47:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Requip"
Nathan's latest post at N99

Mmm. This doesn't sound right, at all. I too was starting to think Nathan might be involved in the scam, but this post, if what he wrote is true (and I don't see why it shouldn't) truly makes Delphy look like a very shady person up to some very shady manoeuvers. I'm starting to be really disappointed, and I wish someone could do something...I'd hate for this thing to just disappear with no answers nor explanations.

It was the least I could do. I always do the least I can do.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: