PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 08:30:44

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  ok i'm confused
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: ok i'm confused  (Read 28811 times)
anniepie
Landlubber

View Profile
ok i'm confused
« on: 2006 November 07, 22:25:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found another file share site and that place is just confusing as all hell.  They say make a wishlist?  But wait you can't make a wishlist until you make so many posts.  Then they are like you can't see what we got, you have to beg??  And then they want a donation on top of all that WTF!

The best part, I ran across an announcement that said they need to raise their donation rates lol what a joke!

Am I confused or are they?

not worth it, too much trouble, what a pain in the ass!

No Thank You

OK I'm new and I'm sure there have been other things said about said site and it's old already but so what!  I want to bitch because I just found it and I think it sucks!  Stepping down now....
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
ok i'm confused
« Reply #1 on: 2006 November 07, 22:37:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I found it to be a pain in the neck also, but some people like it because it allows them to get specific files faster. Me, I find it too "social", too cliquey, too inefficient. Hence the "shut up and eat your files" method here.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
ok i'm confused
« Reply #2 on: 2006 November 07, 22:45:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The best part, I ran across an announcement that said they need to raise their donation rates lol what a joke!

Umm that's not true at all actually.

SFV is confusing if you let it be, if you don't read the stickies and whatnot.  But it's actually really easy, and they have a lot of procedures in place to help protect anonymity.  It's been around far longer than this site, back then anonymity was important.  Wink  Now it seems people don't care who knows they are filesharing.

But for the donations:  When you post enough (3 times), you have a new section of the board open up called The Sharing Corner (something like that).  You can then make a wishlist, and you list what you have to share, and what you'd like to get.  Eventually, after you are trusted to not be a spy, you can get access to the Treasure Chest area, and files there are more easily accessible, with files placed on third-party upload sites, and a thread is made for the file.

The donation section is completely optional, for people who want to have access to the files without asking or waiting.  After files are placed in the Treasure Chest, a mod gets them and puts them in the Donation section (often, there's at least a couple of weeks before this happens).  So donators can access this.  It's not necessary, and you don't gain access to different files at all.  It's just convenience.  I donated and I definitely don't regret it.
Motoki
ARR!

View Profile
ok i'm confused
« Reply #3 on: 2006 November 07, 22:58:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bah, sounds too complicated. I'm with Pes on this.

In Communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
ok i'm confused
« Reply #4 on: 2006 November 07, 23:24:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh they won't let you ask for a file right out. So no begging allowed. If you find someone with that file, then you can post in their wishlist thread, but no place else. No PMing with a request at all. No making a direct wish anywhere but in someones wishlist.  

I tried the other place. Nice people, really, was a bit of fun until I had done so many things 'wrong' while trying desparately to go withthe flow, be nice, do my share, yada yada, I gave up.

This place is sooo much better. Direct, easy, play or don't play it's ok.
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
ok i'm confused
« Reply #5 on: 2006 November 07, 23:36:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No making a direct wish anywhere but in someones wishlist.

Well, you can make a direct request in your own wishlist.  People are pretty good about sending you stuff, and when I was active in the WL area (I'm not anymore, too many 12-year-olds wrecking it), we used to send entire sites out to some people.  So it's not a perfect system in the way you want (no muss, no fuss) but it's worked for a long time and I like it.
Motoki
ARR!

View Profile
ok i'm confused
« Reply #6 on: 2006 November 07, 23:38:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "BlueSoup"
No making a direct wish anywhere but in someones wishlist.

(I'm not anymore, too many 12-year-olds wrecking it)

Bleh, seems like that's everywhere these days.

Maybe the Openhouse Jack blogs will scare them away from coming here. Wink

In Communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
ok i'm confused
« Reply #7 on: 2006 November 07, 23:45:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, one can ask in one's own wishlist. BUT if the file isn't all that popular and not everyone has it, the wishlist gets buried and no one reads it and the wish goes unfilled.

I'm not saying I didn't like it some, cuz I did. But when I got 'corrected' about the tenth time for doing something different than everyone else did, I gave up.

The people were great tho. And I'm sure they did the best they could. But their system had some holes in it. I like this so much better.
dr.philthy
ARR!

View Profile
ok i'm confused
« Reply #8 on: 2006 November 07, 23:59:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For me, I went there, made the requisite few posts, got my wishlist, got the few files I had requested which I could not find here within 3 days, sent 2 things out to other people to return the favor and than I was out of there.
I found it really straight forward.
Here is definitely better, but I have to admit over there it's a little fun :oops:

Give 'er.
misdirection
Landlubber

View Profile
ok i'm confused
« Reply #9 on: 2006 November 08, 01:48:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Motoki"

Maybe the Openhouse Jack blogs will scare them away from coming here. Wink

It'll scare them,  unless they are made of sterner stuff. Then, they'll grow up to be... pirates. :shock:
Surelyfunke
Pirate

View Profile
ok i'm confused
« Reply #10 on: 2006 November 08, 05:31:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Y'all can say what you like about SFV, but without that site, a lot of files on the Booty wouldn't be up and ready to go. Just sayin'.

Also, new shit comes out first on SFV, then PMBD. If I have new shit I want to share, I'm gonna share it first on SFV before I put it on PMBD. SFV has given me (and PMBD) tons of files, so why wouldn't I share it there first?
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
ok i'm confused
« Reply #11 on: 2006 November 08, 06:01:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wholeheartedly agree with Surely.  And she's totally right.  I share with SFV first too.
Surelyfunke
Pirate

View Profile
ok i'm confused
« Reply #12 on: 2006 November 08, 07:16:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Edit: Pooey, Blue talked about optional donation in a few posts before. Shoulda read first Tongue

But still, no dangly carrots, no witholding. Let's not get confused with the real paysites here.
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
ok i'm confused
« Reply #13 on: 2006 November 08, 08:03:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If anything, the donation section over at SFV is like an archive service of older stuff for people who give a few bucks. You aren't getting anything special, you aren't even getting anything new. You get the new stuff way faster in the WL section than you ever would in the donation section alone, and anyone with more than three posts can have access to that.

But anyway, I concur with my esteemed colleagues. SFV is really the source of all this filesharing goodness, so like it or not, it deserves some consideration.

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
siggylove
Landlubber

View Profile
ok i'm confused
« Reply #14 on: 2006 November 08, 11:18:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd not heard of SFV before today, thanks for explaining how it works Blue, I may check it out at some stage although now we have PSMBD the need isn't so great.

'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotamy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: