PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 11:19:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Carla Niven must be destroyed!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 187 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Carla Niven must be destroyed!  (Read 699213 times)
millahnna
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Carla Niven must be destroyed!
« Reply #2475 on: 2008 February 11, 18:27:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "chemistrycourtney"
So if anyone ever hit a snafu with some aspect of the gimp program, I could do a looky loo in my gigantic GIMP book.

Taken completely out of context, there is no part of that sentence that isn't made of awesome.

"I always look like a heart floating in a jar of formaldehyde when I go swimming. Always. I make a point of it. Doesn't everybody?"  -- HeyBubbe
chemistrycourtney
Pirate

Perhaps I have.... a concordance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2476 on: 2008 February 11, 18:48:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "millahnna"
So if anyone ever hit a snafu with some aspect of the gimp program, I could do a looky loo in my gigantic GIMP book.

Taken completely out of context, there is no part of that sentence that isn't made of awesome.

Heh heh, that's true.  Upon a reread of my original post, I have to be honest though, and state that "Playing in the gimp is one of my favorite things." sounded much worse.  Really though.  The rather awkward mental image of my gigantic gimp book.  It is made of awesome.

Playing in the GIMP is my favorite thing.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: 2008 February 11, 21:46:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Courtney, I swear to god I wish I'd had that book when I was writing the Gimp CC tutes a couple of years back.. I just repeatedly hit my head against the program until I got something to work.. :lol: I adore the Gimp myself, where do you find the book? I actually think it's much more rhobust than Photoshop in some ways. The only reason why people would use Photoshop from preference is because the tools are a tiny bit more refined. Have you ever played with Gimpshop? http://www.gimpshop.com/ It rocks, it does things like "dock" the floating bars.

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
RaiderGirl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: 2008 February 11, 22:01:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm just learning to use Gimp (it's always intimidated me  :oops: ) but Saraswati, There's an online book called Grokking the Gimp. I find it useful when I'm not at home, where I have another Gimp book, or even just to cross reference stuff.

LURK MOAR! You just might learn something.

My preferred reality
chemistrycourtney
Pirate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2479 on: 2008 February 11, 22:21:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nice!  I have not played with Gimpshop, but I'm sure I will now.  

The book came from Barnes & Noble.  It's written (or maybe Compiled is a better word) by Akkana Peck and is based on the latest Gimp 2.4 release.  It was put out by Apress, and retails for around 50 bucks.  (Like I said, this book was a birthday present, as I have difficulty spending 50 bucks on a free program.)  A few of the tutes in the book are on the website, but the book did help to unlock a lot of the more "unobvious" features of Gimp.  

It also made it easier to play in the gimp.

*edit because I forgot some words.

Markus
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: 2008 February 11, 23:18:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

GimpShop looks awesome, will have to check it out. Cheesy
Bitterz
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: 2008 February 12, 00:13:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Am I really the only one that found Photoshop easier to use than Gimp? I don't like seeing every possible tool, Gimp just felt too.. busy, to me. I like things hidden until I need them, and then I want to hit one key and have the tool handy. I don't like going through menus and having to adjust things. Perhaps with GimpShop makes things more user friendly, towards people like me, anyway. Gimp also does not support all tablets (or at least, it doesn't work with mine.)

For art purposes, I cannot recommend ArtRage highly enough. It really is amazing.
funkybunk
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: 2008 February 12, 00:17:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I personally love photoshop to death. It's much easier to use, and GIMP always confused me to tears. XD

stolen from Jess Maree:

Trolls you have been warned: I survived the Great Troll-Off of '08
chemistrycourtney
Pirate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2483 on: 2008 February 12, 00:29:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Bitterz"
Am I really the only one that found Photoshop easier to use than Gimp? I don't like seeing every possible tool, Gimp just felt too.. busy, to me. I like things hidden until I need them, and then I want to hit one key and have the tool handy. I don't like going through menus and having to adjust things. Perhaps with GimpShop makes things more user friendly, towards people like me, anyway. Gimp also does not support all tablets (or at least, it doesn't work with mine.)

For art purposes, I cannot recommend ArtRage highly enough. It really is amazing.

Gimp has the ability to set the tools you want to see these days.  it's pretty handy.  you can also organize and dock them.  it's all in the book.

liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: 2008 February 12, 01:42:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love my Photoshop. I tried Gimp briefly, I wanted to support a free photoediting program instead of Adobe, which charges way too much for it's products. However, much frustration ensued, and I went back to the evil that is Photoshop.

At least I've recieved all my copies free because of educational licensing Smiley

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
Bitterz
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: 2008 February 12, 01:48:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gimp has the ability to set the tools you want to see these days.  it's pretty handy.  you can also organize and dock them.  it's all in the book.

In the book that I don't have :wink:  I will give it another go though, since it sounds much improved from when I tried, and with GimpShop it should be even better.

Adobe does overcharge, but when a program is "industry standard" and is as freaking awesome as PS is (first of its kind and all that), it can pretty much set the price whatever it wants. They know they are commonly pirated.. but one person paying for it more than covers a dozen copies. The same happens with AutoCAD, prohibitively expensive, but still basically required.
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
Re: Carla Niven must be destroyed!
« Reply #2486 on: 2008 February 12, 04:57:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found Gimp frustrating enough to go find a copy of Photoshop to replace it. Maybe I'm set in my ways, but I find Photoshop easier.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
funkybunk
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: 2008 February 12, 05:15:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to have problems installing gimp let alone using it. I lurve photoshop with all my heart.

stolen from Jess Maree:

Trolls you have been warned: I survived the Great Troll-Off of '08
Markus
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: 2008 February 12, 06:33:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would prefer to use Photoshop if I could since it's what I was trained to use in college, but can't afford it(would love Adobe Suite), so GIMP is my best alternative.
Yaardarm Monkey II
ARR!

still the same simian of plunder

View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: 2008 February 12, 07:19:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried Gimp briefly
 However, much frustration ensued

I think of "this" when I see the word 'gimp'....

Grin   Kiss    Grin
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 187 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: