PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 12:41:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Why do people pay for some of this stuff?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Why do people pay for some of this stuff?  (Read 31727 times)
Lauren
Landlubber

View Profile
Why do people pay for some of this stuff?
« on: 2006 November 07, 09:41:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seriously, some of the 'donation' sets I've been looking at have been flat out ugly and/or badly made. Now I can half understand paying for quality stuff, but seriously? There is a LOT of stuff that looks terrible! I have to go look at the sites to make sure this is stuff I'll even let in my game.
misdirection
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2006 November 07, 10:01:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's no accounting for taste.

I just repeat that, over and over.
Aquamarine
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 November 07, 11:38:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dunno. I've noticed a lot of things look fine in previews but when I get them in my game, I want to scream in horror.

I'd call Photoshop on this, but the same thing happens to me and free stuff as well.

This probably explains why I've only ever subscribed to three sites (two of which, I promptly lost the files after my sub was up in a fiery computer accident). I HATE wasting money, so I'm very discerning (read: obsessive) when it comes to stuff I'll actually pay for. Hell, even with the existence of this place, I'd be willing to donate to sites that consistently produce quality stuff as a "thank you" gesture. [/end mini-rant]

Anyway, that doesn't explain why there are probably a couple people out there who have paid for, say, Carla Niven stuff in the past and now need therapy.
tsyy
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 November 07, 13:54:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never seen anything worth paying to download.  I've found many free sites to donate to, but nothing I'd pay for.

I would say anybody who pays for the Carla Niven stuff needs not only a therapist but an intervention. :shock:
ScurvyLass
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 November 07, 14:41:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "tsyy"
I've never seen anything worth paying to download.  I've found many free sites to donate to, but nothing I'd pay for.

I would say anybody who pays for the Carla Niven stuff needs not only a therapist but an intervention. :shock:

I've checked out her site and I was shocked at how butt-ugly the clothes are.   Shocked
Motoki
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 November 07, 14:45:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It never ceases to amaze me many people in this community always seem to have their checkbooks open and ready to pay money. EA knows this, that's why we've started getting the stuff packs and Holiday packs, and packs that add 20 items on top of last year's Holiday pack.  :roll:

In Communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
coliss
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 November 07, 14:52:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

'Cause of daddy's creditcard. :lol:

There's always going to be someone who's willing to pay for anything. Crap or not. Except for Carla Niven.
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 November 07, 14:52:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And small EPs....
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 November 08, 01:16:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've always been tempted to see if I can't scrounge up some money to dona--er, pay sites like Peggy that EVERYONE just seems to love, but I could never be bothered.  And have since been much less inclined to bother to pay once I discovered I cared so little about the "morality" of a practise like file-sharing.  It has been, and will always be, just a game to me, so I don't really take the people flippin' out over the horrendous thievery going on here ( :wink: ) very seriously.

And I absolutely hate it when I look at something in game and realise it looks like shit compared to the preview that I ogled at for the couple of seconds it took to download.

Mostly I think people pay for stuff that may or may not be any good is usually because the item is made by a prolific artist so it MUST be good and/or it has to be good, otherwise it wouldn't be a pay item, right?  :roll:  They would NEVER use the money for anything other than bandwidth... All paysites are honest and really do just use the money for the benefit of the site...
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 November 08, 03:31:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ensign EO"
t has been, and will always be, just a game to me, so I don't really take the people flippin' out over the horrendous thievery going on here ( :wink: ) very seriously.

A-fucking-men. That is precisely what I've been trying to hammer into some of my fellow creator's heads. This is a game. I hate it when people get all uptight "OMG, Sims = serious business!"

THIS IS A GAME.

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
Mat Cauthon
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 November 08, 04:43:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is my biggest complaint about a lot of CC.  Most of the CC I have come across does NOT look as good in game as the Maxis stuff.  I hate the pasted on look and wonky textures that so many of these clothes and objects have.  I recently did a major overhaul of my downloads folder and got rid of everything that didn't look great and serve some function in the game (I mean honestly how many deco items that are supposed to be things like toasters or soccer balls does one need clogging up the sculpture catalogue?).  And guess what, there is very little left.  

It probably doesn't help that I don't like the sparse, monochrome, modern looking furniture that seems to be a favorite among CC creators.  I don't have that kind of stuff in my real home and I don't like it for my sim's homes either.  I like nice traditonal furniture like LovingTouchDesigns has.  And I would never pay for clothes since there are SCADS of them for free (I adore your site liegenschonheit.  Yup, I like gothy clothes and make-up for my sims and traditional homes in my game...it makes for quite the combo!).  So in a nutshell I agree that the vast quanity of CC is not worth paying for (I don't think we should have to pay for any of it, it's just that most of it is crap on top of that fact)...just my opinion of course.  Wink

Mat
KikiGo
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 November 08, 05:34:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i love filesharing esp. when i dont know what the quality of a sites donation sets are going to be.. most sites are pretty bad, but i do love HolySimoly i paid for their two donation sets, they have high quality shit, they dont charge you up the ass, and anytime i lost something or had an idea or problem they were really nice. But to me they are one in a million!  Smiley

ause you talk like a F*g and your shits all retarded!!!
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 November 08, 06:12:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some sites are pretty decent, and not everyone who has pay files on their sites are greedy assholes. Holy Simoly makes kick ass stuff, and the two donation packs that they have are full of really good stuff. My big beef isn't really with sites that offer a couple high quality donation sets, then have a whole lot of free stuff. When they do that, an arguement for the whole bandwidth thing is a bit more plausable, because they aren't really raking it in hand over fist off of tons of overpriced items.

Of course, I'd prefer that all sims content was free, but I'd rather concentrate on stopping the big pay sites than the guys with a couple of donation files. Just my two cents worth.

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
dorquemada
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 November 08, 08:23:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Methinks they pay because most of sim-gamers are noobs into gaming and don't know such things are supposed to be free, and/or are too lazy to google for free sims stuff.

Those moneygrubbing lamers of paysites are a disgrace for all the gamers. I'm so delighted to find the place that's dedicated to piss them off! :mrgreen:

The Pirate Party!
_____
Every time you can has, God kills a lolcat.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 November 08, 10:22:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, paying for an item in the community is becoming a status symbol among younger players.  :lol:

Inactive
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: