PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 07:52:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Why do people pay for some of this stuff?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Why do people pay for some of this stuff?  (Read 32026 times)
Lauren
Landlubber

View Profile
Why do people pay for some of this stuff?
« Reply #30 on: 2006 November 11, 15:12:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

VitaSims stuff looks nice, but it bleeds into the walls! How can you charge for something that isn't top notch quality?
wyrdwing
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 November 11, 15:28:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "getmydisease"
Dunno. I've noticed a lot of things look fine in previews but when I get them in my game, I want to scream in horror.

I agree. I've only paid for two paysites back in the day. Simfreaks and WDS. Some of the stuff was amazing, others.. Not so amazing.

Maybe there should be a review forum on donation items... so people are warned what is good and not... that way no one would have to waste their time and money.  :lol:
dbmagick
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 November 11, 16:02:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Lauren"
VitaSims stuff looks nice, but it bleeds into the walls! How can you charge for something that isn't top notch quality?

My feelings exactly!  The donation crap from Reflex Sims does that.  It looks good until you get up close.
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 November 11, 20:57:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "wyrdwing"
Quote from: "getmydisease"
Dunno. I've noticed a lot of things look fine in previews but when I get them in my game, I want to scream in horror.

I agree. I've only paid for two paysites back in the day. Simfreaks and WDS. Some of the stuff was amazing, others.. Not so amazing.

Maybe there should be a review forum on donation items... so people are warned what is good and not... that way no one would have to waste their time and money.  :lol:

Yeah, nice idea, but try finding someone the paying community as a whole would listen to, who is objective enough to do that...Most people out there are the 'OMG that's relly good, thank you!!' without even looking, types, when it comes to CC...And you can imagine the uproar if someone had the truth told about their stuff, then people would start boycotting it cos it said bad things about their friend's stuff, and BLAH.

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Benjamina
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 November 11, 21:08:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One man's trash is another man's treasure?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

Some shit ain't worth letting a puppy piss on?

Yeah, I think they all apply in one way or another.

I think ratings should be given on a negative scale, starting at 0.  

0 means it'll do the job.
-1 eh it'll work from afar
-2 whoa nelly who thought of that?
-3 only the overly-obsessed-must-have-everything person has this in their game
-4 you must have a bad graphics card to play with this
-5 don't even bother, not even puppy piss can save this one

ll right. No more Ms. Nice Guy.
« Reply #35 on: 2006 November 11, 21:23:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "jesserocket"
Yeah, nice idea, but try finding someone the paying community as a whole would listen to, who is objective enough to do that...Most people out there are the 'OMG that's relly good, thank you!!' without even looking, types, when it comes to CC...And you can imagine the uproar if someone had the truth told about their stuff, then people would start boycotting it cos it said bad things about their friend's stuff, and BLAH.

Two words: Anonymous blog.

It doesn't matter if the paying community as a whole will listen to an anonymous blogger at first, really; if the reviews are as honest as possible word will get out about it and people will start looking to it for information.

Said blogger should probably disable comments on the blog or more or less ignore them for their own peace of mind. Wink
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 November 11, 21:32:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

People on S2C are always asking about whom they should donate to--no one would ever admit they downloaded shit.  So pointing them to an objective, anonymous blog would be more useful to the people who really are looking for a good buy, and not a good story.
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 November 11, 21:40:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hooray, you're Ephraim!!

But yes. Anonymous blog is a good idea. Especially as people flock towards anonymous stuff, cos of the MYSTERY!! Cheesy

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Kid
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 November 11, 22:16:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "woes_wee"
Quote from: "Nouk"
Also, paying for an item in the community is becoming a status symbol among younger players.  :lol:

Not just Younger players. Older ones do it as well.
Seems everyone is trying to get what everyone else does not have so they can show pictures of it.

Wee

But, if you can claim an object in a house you show as "unavailable" your status rises even higher. Unavailable items are a much better status symbol than saying its from a paysite, but having pay item does mean your part of the "in crowd".  :roll:
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: 2006 November 11, 22:26:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Kid"
Quote from: "woes_wee"
Quote from: "Nouk"
Also, paying for an item in the community is becoming a status symbol among younger players.  :lol:

Not just Younger players. Older ones do it as well.
Seems everyone is trying to get what everyone else does not have so they can show pictures of it.

Wee

But, if you can claim an object in a house you show as "unavailable" your status rises even higher. Unavailable items are a much better status symbol than saying its from a paysite, but having pay item does mean your part of the "in crowd".  :roll:

Seen you have been to simbella's too!

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 November 11, 22:28:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Cypress"
I do have a site exactly like that in the works.

Share the link when you're done.  Cheesy

It would also be a help for filesharers to help decide whether downloading or looking for a certain item would be worth it.

I don't give a flying rat's ass about "unavailable" content.  :roll:  Aikea Guinea (the lady who does Deception Pass) makes a lot of stuff that is only hers, and that's all well and good with me, but it's so annoying to hear people constantly bitch about how they can't get their hands on the stuff she creates.  If you don't have access to something--tough cookies.  There's a plethora of other CC that you can download.  :roll:

She also seems to have most of the stuff I remember her having uploaded taken down, except for a ring mesh.
coliss
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 November 11, 23:00:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rating is overrated. :roll:

What you need is take a good picture of an object, enough to see its details. Note its flaws as well, i.e. animation is good or not.

For example, for a hair set, you could write if it's:

1) 5 basic colors (a REAL red, please?? not pink!)
2) All ages (Elder color properly done, etc.)
3) Properly binned (eyebrows, family GUID, etc.)?
4) Animated
5) Neck gap

See where I'm going? It's long though... but it's the best way, imo, to write something as objective as possible.
BootStrapBill
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 November 11, 23:02:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only sites I've ever considered worth paying for are TSR because of the enormous variety and quantity of items they offer, and Simslice because their stuff really is unique in both form and function.  Too many paysites offer blocky, upscale, minimalist modern furniture just like the next site's blocky, upscale, minimalist modern furniture (often poorly made to boot,) a thousand and one ways to make your Sims look like anorexic beach-dwelling silicon-laden prostitutes, and walls/floors/lots no more different or interesting than anything I could make myself.

Apart from the modest selection Maxis offers, there's a regrettable shortage of nice, reasonably priced, hey-I've-got-one-of-those content.  I'd consider donating to a site filled with nicely made, basic everyday clothing and furniture like what I can find at Wal-mart.  To me, prosperity doesn't mean having fancy expensive stuff, it means having all the ordinary comfortable respectable stuff I need in good shape, and that's what I want for my Sims!
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 November 11, 23:11:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "coliss"
Rating is overrated. :roll:

What you need is take a good picture of an object, enough to see its details. Note its flaws as well, i.e. animation is good or not.

For example, for a hair set, you could write if it's:

1) 5 basic colors (a REAL red, please?? not pink!)
2) All ages (Elder color properly done, etc.)
3) Properly binned (eyebrows, family GUID, etc.)?
4) Animated
5) Neck gap

See where I'm going? It's long though... but it's the best way, imo, to write something as objective as possible.

Yeah, that's good, thorough and to the point, which is what is needed in this case, rather than saying 'omfg it's so ugly!!' or giving it scores out of 10 or whatever...*nods* I would actually be happy to help in any project like this, I feel it's time I actually did something, rather than just sit and bitch...

And BootStrapBill, I agree with you fully there! Hooray!

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Benjamina
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2006 November 11, 23:13:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "BootStrapBill"
basic everyday clothing

Rumor has it there's this chicky-baby over at MATY that has some basic adult female t-shirts in the works if she ever gets off her ass and finishes them...and you can best bet they'll be free Wink

I'll put another bug in her ear about 'em...

ll right. No more Ms. Nice Guy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: