PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 20:44:21

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Delphy's MTS2 2007 Mission Statement
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Delphy's MTS2 2007 Mission Statement  (Read 37636 times)
tIIsuggas
ARR!

Avatar V2.013.6 (alpha) Unsupported.

View Profile
Delphy's MTS2 2007 Mission Statement
« Reply #90 on: 2007 January 12, 23:17:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have started using hXXp instead, and explain what needs doing, I think it works that way, cos the filters don't recognise live links.

"Tomatoes don't hurt" I said with a grin.
The next one did, it came in a tin.

My stuff at  MTS2
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2007 January 12, 23:17:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have sent PMs and then later PMed the receiver on another forum about it and they never got it. It happens witho or without Delphy's knowledge. Considering what happened, or so the tale goes, to JM, I have to think Delphy knows fully.
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2007 January 12, 23:35:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would highly doubt that anyone is reading and then deleting your PM's.  I would, however, believe they have a filter.
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2007 January 12, 23:50:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, my PM said nothing about any 'banned' subject matter, had no cuss words (shocking for me I know!) was mainly benign. It did mention that the PM might not ever get to the person....what filter would have blocked that?
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2007 January 13, 00:09:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it'll block out the link if you linked it there, for starters.  Just like the person above you wrote, that's exactly what'll happen.  But it won't block the entire PM.  If they didn't get your first PM, and they did get your second, then most likely it was an error on some part, either yours or theirs.

But, I have to ask, why are you bitching about this here?  If there is a problem with the site malfunctioning over there or whatever the case may be, why not bring it up there?  What good does it do to bitch here?

But then again, you have a history of going off at stupid shit, so I'm not surprised. (Renatus)
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2007 January 13, 00:31:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not bitching. But now I am confused  :shock: The thread was talking about PMs and saying PMs aren't private. You said PMs may have been filtered, not deleted. I am saying 'what was mine filtered on that caused it to not even get there'. No bitching just trying to ascertain how it could have been filtered and not deleted. The first message was on MTS2, no links in it, didn't get there. So probably deleted by a moderator or Delphy. The second message was on a a different site.  ?
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2007 January 13, 00:34:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bleh now you have me confused.

I sent a message to Pescado on MTS2 that he says he never got either.  Site error?  My error?  Who the hell knows, I'm not stressed about it.  

Specific links/words are filtered in the PM's on S2C (and prolly MTS2, I dunno), there's no question.  But it shouldn't cause the entire PM to fail.
LesserOr
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2007 January 13, 00:45:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Delphy"
I doubt very much that it'll have much of a long term impact (sorry to say it, but filesharing has always happened in this community)  

Before filesharing required either multiple friends each buying separate subscriptions, or complicated systems. SFV has been around for years, but how many people know about it even now?
This site sticks everything up on a simple directory.
It's quite different, and more importantly, PUBLIC. It's already had a long-term impact by stirring the pot, and laying the groundwork.

better to simply educate people and give them alternatives.  

Except you aren't educating people, you're just telling them a story they'd like to believe. I'm not slamming that- it works, and there's validity there. But don't pretend that's "education."
The truth is that selling .package files is illegal, and many paysites don't even pretend they aren't stores. It's an inconvenient truth, and "we should all share because it's nice!" does have broader appeal- but don't attribute a higher moral ground to spin.

This site is an alternative, even if you don't like it.

Just try and see things from a bigger picture - you don't want to alienate creators becuase of pro-filesharing, you actually want to encourage free sites (and thus, anti-paysite) by showing alternatives to hosting etc.

That is the carrot. Everyone needs carrots. They're good for your eyes.

This is the stick- if a site, new or formerly free, decides to make money off files without paying EA for the permissions, their pay content goes up on this site.

In an ideal world, everyone would respond to the carrot, and paysites would evaporate.
This is not an ideal world.
Many paysites would stay up even if EA brought the hammer down. The only way to get to those people is to prevent them from profiting off of what doesn't belong to them.
The community's words can be ignored- these actions cannot be.

Frankly I'm getting tired of the extremist attitudes of people here.  

Frankly, I don't think you realize that almost everyone here has a different, diverging opinion, and only really agree that this site should exist.

Yes, some people think you're an idiot, but at the very same time, some think you're right. And all shades in between.
Lumping us all together as a raving hive-mind doesn't do your point any credit.

You are entitled to think that two wrongs don't make a right.
We are entitled to consider this justice rather than a "wrong."
I agree to disagree on this point.

I dont tell you what to do, but you seem to think you have some right to tell me what I should do?  *shrugs*

You don't? Except for saying that this site is ultimately worthless and just for "shock" value. Really.

We use your site too, bub. That means we're part of "your" community, and that includes the right to complain when we see something we don't like.
You aren't obligated to listen, but you should be able to give an answer other than "you guys are mean, so your point is invalid."

The ruling is inconsistent.
You were called on it, so deal.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2007 January 13, 02:11:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but if the only thing you have is rights, the only place you're going is in circles.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2007 January 13, 02:25:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In addition, there have been many many reasons stated why paysites are wrong, but I have yet to read any viable, or even any at all!, arguments why the sharing of package files is wrong. 'It goes against creators TOS' simply isn't good enough in view of the fact the creators have been proven to have lied, and cheated, about bandwidth and hard work and monies spent making CC etc.
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: 2007 January 13, 03:11:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And to put it in the context of creators' rights, as long as I'm getting credited, I don't really mind people distributing things I've made.

Someone once told me how they printed out one of my stories and everyone in his school, practically had read it.  (I guess it got really boring in England around 1999.)  Should I be upset that the other people who borrowed his print-outs didn't get it from me?  That they might not have known that I wrote it, or, at the least, had no idea how to contact me?

Pshh...people forget who published authors are all the time.  I'm more happy that lots of people thought my stuff worth reading.  That's how I'd feel if lots of people wanted custom content I made.  Though right now it's limited to a bunch of t-shirts I copied off of T-Shirt Hell, so that's doubtful!

So anyone who's really sharing for the community spirit shouldn't mind filesharing.
Immortal
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2007 January 13, 04:24:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "BlueSoup"
Bleh now you have me confused.

I sent a message to Pescado on MTS2 that he says he never got either.  Site error?  My error?  Who the hell knows, I'm not stressed about it.  

Specific links/words are filtered in the PM's on S2C (and prolly MTS2, I dunno), there's no question.  But it shouldn't cause the entire PM to fail.

Well, with the whole PM thing...if it is important or confidential, why would you be sending it via private message on a site where it is even possible for someone else to see it or delete it? Smiley

ne by one they died.
A massacre that took all night
They had no chance, it was no fight
You can't kill what has been killed before...
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2007 January 13, 04:27:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It wasn't important or confidential.  If it was, I wouldn't have sent it in PM at all, I would have cornered him in my very own chat room. Tongue
OneEyedWillie
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2007 January 13, 08:15:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok this is just a thought, I mean it would be great if we could be linked from MTS2 and S2C, but isn't that fact that we aren't to, make it MORE enticing to people to find out just what the heck is going on?  I mean the forbidden is ALWAYS more attractive than what's available for all Tongue  All least that's my experience Wink

And yeah I think the whole allowing paysites to be available to be linked is a bit hypocritical, but *shrugs* it's Delphy's site, he can do whatever he wants.  And we gotta respect that, and he is actually making steps too, which is really great, and since it IS the biggest site, people will take notice.

Just an add, I too love the fact that their isn't any censorship here, but some stuff I definately wouldn't want kids seeing (openlegs jack thread  :shock:)  although nowadays, kids know more than I do.

Sloth: [Sloth rips off his shirt revealing a T-Shirt with the Superman 'S' on the front] Sloth!
Jake Fratelli: We're in deep shit now, Francis.
Francis Fratelli: Oh, shit!
LesserOr
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2007 January 13, 08:39:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Quinctia"
Should I be upset that the other people who borrowed his print-outs didn't get it from me?  That they might not have known that I wrote it, or, at the least, had no idea how to contact me?
Pshh...people forget who published authors are all the time. I'm more happy that lots of people thought my stuff worth reading.

Tangentially, this reminded me of a girl I knew in college who was always talking about how she was going to be an Author.
Because of this (Huh) she was mortally offended by the fact that libraries stocked fiction.

She thought it was criminal that the library allowed people to steal money out of Author's pockets by letting so many people read books for free.

This is the person I think of every time I see "don't share my stuff!!"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: