PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 11:25:31

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Delphy's MTS2 2007 Mission Statement
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Delphy's MTS2 2007 Mission Statement  (Read 37585 times)
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
Delphy's MTS2 2007 Mission Statement
« Reply #75 on: 2007 January 12, 18:49:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Honestly, I don't expect this site to destroy paysites.  I have never expected filesharing to destroy paysites.  I've been a filesharer (though in the closet) for a lot longer than this site has been around.  The only thing we've perhaps accomplished is pissing off paysite owners (always good) and maybe causing less people to pay for content (though it actually may have caused more people to pay, specifically to share, because I know my paid content has increased dramatically since I started sharing seriously with SFV).

I joined this site and took on the booty as my responsibility more because it's better to have some control than not, and I would rather not see some sites up in the booty (for example, Around the Sims 2 and Rensim) because while those sites accept donations, they are not paysites in my opinion.   Not to mention that since Pes doesn't use CC in his game, he has no clue when it comes to it.

I do think this site has blown the discussion wide open though, and hopefully through discussion a revolution can come about and paysites will fold due to lack of interest.

But this site wouldn't be as dramatical and eye-catching with another name. Wink
HystericalParoxysm
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2007 January 12, 19:30:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This phorum IS the right way to attack this problem.

This phorum is ONE way to attack this problem...  one that I have come to realize has its place, and can spark interesting discussion, but is not the sole way of doing it, nor my preferred method.

In order to get rid of something this pervasive you have to attack it on all fronts... and that includes educating the general community not only that paysites are bad, but -why- they are bad.  Give them real, logical reasons that they can think about and make up their own minds.  Give people who might pay $5 to a paysite think instead about putting that money toward their favourite free site.  

Give people who are running a small site that's getting a little costly some ideas for better hosting, ad revenue, and ways for the community to network with smaller site owners to provide them with options - so they don't feel the need to go pay if costs get steep.  

Educate the community and make the history and credits for the tools and tutorials more available and prominent, to encourage loyalty to the free help and support that's given, so that the up-and-coming creators never think of going pay, and people realize how ridiculous it is to pay for content for the game.

If you can do it in a way that presents it informatively, helpfully, and with a positive intent, to make more good content available for more people, then you have a chance of making truly positive change.

Being against paysites is not necessarily the same thing as promoting, advocating, or allowing direct discussion/links regarding filesharing.

Carla Niven totally crashed my browser though.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: 2007 January 12, 19:41:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do agree though that there is a disparity with links in signatures - Openhouse Jack (he uploaded to MTS2 today) and others can link to their paysite - either where they post their creations, or even in the paysites debate.  

You may not agree with paysites, but if you say that they are entitled to link, and PMBD are not, that sends a completely different and not impartial message - it still means that paysites are seen as condoned, yet sharing your paid content with others is not.

I say if you won't allow PMBD links, then paysite links should be banned.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2007 January 12, 19:47:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Calalily, quite a good point!

Our lil friend must be stopped.
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2007 January 12, 19:50:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I completely agree with that as well. Smiley

It's one more way to help combat the rising tide of paysites.
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2007 January 12, 19:52:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I said....
Delphy
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2007 January 12, 21:06:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The issue I have with the treasure chest forum (and hence linking of PMBD in sigs) is that it basically advocates filesharing in that it's a list of "stolen" things, and also asks for money to help with the endeavour.

You say that paysite links should be banned from MTS2... I say stop trying to dictate what goes on there - notwithstanding the point that has been made time and time again that a site that has a great sharing policy you would still class as a paysite (SimChic) or actually is mostly free with only a few sets etc (AroundTheSims).  

Or perhaps I should just turn into a forum nazi and just ban all sigs and all links altogether to anything remotely resembling any kind of site.

Frankly I'm getting tired of the extremist attitudes of people here.  I dont tell you what to do, but you seem to think you have some right to tell me what I should do?  *shrugs*

I almost preferred it when you all hated me. Tongue
yamikuronue
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2007 January 12, 21:17:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Delphy"
The issue I have with the treasure chest forum (and hence linking of PMBD in sigs) is that it basically advocates filesharing in that it's a list of "stolen" things, and also asks for money to help with the endeavour.

You say that paysite links should be banned from MTS2... I say stop trying to dictate what goes on there - notwithstanding the point that has been made time and time again that a site that has a great sharing policy you would still class as a paysite (SimChic) or actually is mostly free with only a few sets etc (AroundTheSims).  

Or perhaps I should just turn into a forum nazi and just ban all sigs and all links altogether to anything remotely resembling any kind of site.

Frankly I'm getting tired of the extremist attitudes of people here.  I dont tell you what to do, but you seem to think you have some right to tell me what I should do?  *shrugs*

I almost preferred it when you all hated me. Tongue

But you have to understand, you are giving preference to paysite owners over filesharers, leading the official MTS2 stance to be: Free > pay > fileshare, rather than just free > pay, and THAT is what we're all objecting to.

It's like, you can rant and rave about how awesome paysites are without a problem, but mention filesharing and you'll be deleted. How is that more moral than TSR?
tIIsuggas
ARR!

Avatar V2.013.6 (alpha) Unsupported.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2007 January 12, 21:17:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is the other point, that we aren't exactly PG13 or teen friendly.

There is a lot of adult stuff on here.

I love the fact that 'anything goes' here, but some parents might not.

*ducks.

"Tomatoes don't hurt" I said with a grin.
The next one did, it came in a tin.

My stuff at  MTS2
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2007 January 12, 21:31:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I take issue with the word "steal" as it's not accurate.

I also take issue with the donations part of it.  If you knew how many people were sending me the exact same stuff from the exact same sites, you'd ask for a bit more order as well.  As for people wanting to help me out, I'm not forcing anyone to do so.  If people do, that's awesome.  But no one is under any obligation to do so.  I've spent a lot of my own money on it, so I don't see why someone who wanted to couldn't help me out with that part of it.

If you mean the donations part for this server-thingie idea, oh. Tongue  That's not me and the money I've received is strictly for booty and not for the server.  If I have to start emailing booty, then so be it.  I've been a filesharer long before this site existed, and if this site folds tomorrow, I'll still be one.

I've said before, I don't much care if Delphy does or doesn't allow links to this site on his.  I'll respect that.  People know me anyway, and I get PM's there all the time asking for the link Tongue
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2007 January 12, 22:01:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "tIIsuggas"
There is the other point, that we aren't exactly PG13 or teen friendly.

There is a lot of adult stuff on here.

I love the fact that 'anything goes' here, but some parents might not.

*ducks.

That's exactly what I was thinking...

Thing is, I can see a number of reasons why Delphy wouldn't want links to here, and I don't see it as a case of him being against us, as such. We're not hard to find, if you want to, and I'd say there has been a watershed crossed with people's opinions on paysites anyway. And really, that's what matters, right? Whatever the means, that's what we're all here for at the end of the day. It'd be nice if Delphy did allow links to PMBD, but I don't reckon the issue should be pressed too much, I just think it's excellent that people have been allowed to engage their brains on the whole paysites thing, whatever the medium. Something about there being more than one way to skin a cat, or something, springs to mind.

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
gethane
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2007 January 12, 22:40:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I really don't know what caused delphy to get so pissy there.

The fact is PMBD is THE reason that the sims community is now starting to talk about free vs paysites OPENLY. I've talked with many friends in private for years but we've always been afraid to be ostracized from the community or banned by sites to talk about our feelings about it openly.

Because of PMBD, the community itself is getting braver and refusing to allow the paysite overlords to continue to scare people into keeping quiet. And if MTS2 is doing its part to keep this on the down low, that's wrong too. Hey, you can do whatever you want. But we can also come here and criticize. That's the way it works.

I don't really care about sigs and such. But its really hard to educate a community when you don't have access to educate at places where the community congregates.
tIIsuggas
ARR!

Avatar V2.013.6 (alpha) Unsupported.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2007 January 12, 22:48:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is where PM's come in handy.  Infiltrate the enemy, incognito, of course.  Target the new users.  Before they have had chance to be brainwashed.

"Tomatoes don't hurt" I said with a grin.
The next one did, it came in a tin.

My stuff at  MTS2
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2007 January 12, 23:07:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well yeah, PMs would be good. However, in the case of Delphy, he has, and/or his minions have, in the past taken little notice of privacy and deleted private messages at will. So how can one trust PMing the info on MTS2?

Quote from: "Delphy"
......Frankly I'm getting tired of the extremist attitudes of people here. I dont tell you what to do, but you seem to think you have some right to tell me what I should do? *shrugs*

No one is 'telling you what to do' Delphy. That's pretty extreme to say that. We have reiterated a number of times that it was very good of you to post the 'mission message'. That doesn't mean we agree with or have to agree with everything you say and do from here on out.

Whether you like it or not, you have a double standard going with the links to paysites allowed but not to here. Period. Like it or not. We got it: you think that that action is 'OK'. We don't.

So, one extremist to the next: It's really simple. Don't click the link to this page if you don't like us.
Doursim
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: 2007 January 12, 23:13:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it's any consolation.  I believe that Discordkitty mentioned that mods have no ability to edit PMs (at S2C)

However I PMd someone the address the other day, and when they replied back, the address had been astericked out like this:

http://******************.org/booty

I don't think anyone edited it, but it may have been caught by a filter.

url=http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/peggy]peggy[/url]  Peggy sims
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: