PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 07:00:47

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  A rant over Delphy's censoring (happy piratebooty)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: A rant over Delphy's censoring (happy piratebooty)  (Read 25605 times)
HystericalParoxysm
ARR!

View Profile
A rant over Delphy's censoring (happy piratebooty)
« Reply #15 on: 2007 January 01, 11:42:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think it's a matter of fence-sitting.  One can believe paysites are a detriment to the community while not supporting filesharing.

While I have changed my mind quite a bit on paysites and would greatly prefer the community turn back to all free content, I'd prefer to see it done through positive works that make it so the player base doesn't feel they need to pay for content when they can get plenty of good stuff for free.  

While filesharing may result in paysite owners throwing fits and taking their ball and going home, I'd rather see their mind changed through hugs and candy and showing them that it should be done for the love of creation, rather than greed - and that the community will no longer accept paysites.  Idealist and unrealistic, I know, but I like this rose-coloured world I live in.  It's pretty, and all the boys wear Enayla skins and eyeliner.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 January 01, 12:10:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "HystericalParoxysm"
I don't think it's a matter of fence-sitting.  One can believe paysites are a detriment to the community while not supporting filesharing.

Yes, but this is a position that doesn't lend itself to effective action. It's like encouraging gun control while asking for less crime.

While I have changed my mind quite a bit on paysites and would greatly prefer the community turn back to all free content, I'd prefer to see it done through positive works that make it so the player base doesn't feel they need to pay for content when they can get plenty of good stuff for free.

Yes, but do I look like a positive person to you? Do I look like the type of person to rely on "positive" solutions, I.E., cross your fingers, bury your head in the sand, and hope it goes away? Is that even the sort of thing that motivates me? No, I am a hostile person. When I am pushed into action, it will invariably be because something has pissed me off, and my response will thus be suitably hostile.

While filesharing may result in paysite owners throwing fits and taking their ball and going home, I'd rather see their mind changed through hugs and candy and showing them that it should be done for the love of creation, rather than greed - and that the community will no longer accept paysites.

Yes, but this doesn't entertain me as much. Where's the "crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women"?

Idealist and unrealistic, I know, but I like this rose-coloured world I live in.

I like rose-colored worlds also, but when my world is rose-colored, it is so because it is DRENCHED IN THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES! I want to see BLOOD! I want to BATHE in their blood! I want to bathe in their blood FOR A WEEK! Now, KILL THEM ALL!

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 January 01, 12:25:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think this has needed a many-pronged approach.  While not personally agreeing with or participating in non-voluntary filesharing, I have to recognise the open and public way this has been carried out has certainly been a catalyst to getting it discussed by people who would not otherwise have given it much thought, or who might have been afraid to discuss it.

Same applies to some of the nastier, more personal threads.  It's something I try not to do myself, and mostly those threads don't stay around long enough to develop into anything useful themselves, but they provoke thought in people who might not have the concentration span to manage something like the one on S2C.

At the end of the day the actual decrease in paysites will come about as the direct result of one thing only - decrease in people willing to pay.  And different people will need different types of reasons not to pay.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
« Reply #18 on: 2007 January 01, 12:43:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd rather see their mind changed through hugs and candy and showing them that it should be done for the love of creation, rather than greed - and that the community will no longer accept paysites.

Didn't you once have an avatar on MTS2 stating "0 Nice Points"? Wink

That will happen about the time the community is populated solely with obsequent people who are willing to believe whatever sunshine and flowers message someone shoots at them. Until then, along with the obsequent and nice we'll have to deal with people who are all sorts of mixes of mean, greedy, stubborn, egotistical, untruthful, willingly ignorant, hypocritical, and contrary - as teadrinker said, everyone is going to need a different reason, just like everyone has different reasons for creating.

Some people will jump on any bandwagon as long as it's against the percieved majority, some will listen to well reasoned arguments with proof provided, other folks are going to need to be thumbscrewed with legal proof of just how they're wrong.

At any rate, open discourse is key to covering those bases.
tIIsuggas
ARR!

Avatar V2.013.6 (alpha) Unsupported.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 January 01, 12:58:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I take any opportunity in any thread that I am replying to, to add links and info as long as it is relevent to the discussion in hand.

When opportunity knocks, take every liberty.

"Tomatoes don't hurt" I said with a grin.
The next one did, it came in a tin.

My stuff at  MTS2
HystericalParoxysm
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 January 01, 13:15:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I never claimed my approach was necessarily the only way to do it, just a lot more pleasant than pissing people off.  I would have hoped the tone of my post would have made it clear I wasn't entirely serious believing that positive forces for change would do it by itself, but I think sometimes the thieves' guild forgets that you can do good stuff and make a change that way, too.  Wink

And no, Pescado, I wasn't expecting you to be nice.  I've dealt with you enough to realize that flowers are never going to sprout out of your butt, and that hostility is the way you do things.  I don't always agree with you, but you occasionally make me fall out of my chair laughing... However, I still think you're a chick.  Only a woman would have the drive to be this crazy over pixel dollies.  Smiley

Yes, Renatus, I did have an avatar like that... and my user title on S2C is currently "Sacrifices Children to Dark Powers" as a reference to part of my Queen of Evil contest entry, in which my Countess sacrifices a sim-child to, err, a demon-thing, in exchange for spooky power or... something.  

I flip wildly from being pissed off and angry at the world to wanting to hug it and give it a puppy.  I blame my uterus.

I choose to try to decrease the amount of people willing to pay by showing them the shoddiness of pay hair, and trying to get together a group of folks, myself included, to offer them a quality free alternative.

Also, we've got pie.  You like pie, don't you?  Cheesy
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2007 January 01, 13:24:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"
Yes, but this doesn't entertain me as much. Where's the "crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women"?

Nice to see another fan.  You should also tell them to contemplate their treatment on "the tree of woe".

I do think that something very oppositional has to be done, as there seems to be little actual discussion about paysites generally. And I do think that most of the rhetoric at the larger sites - particularly the free ones - really makes the new sims fan think that they should shun the practice of critisizing those who charge (I know I did, and have seen many say "oh now I see the light).  Often however, they've already paid for a couple of subscriptions anyway.

And so now for a little bombing Exnem
Exnem
Exnem

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 January 01, 13:57:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't believe that there's only one way to slow down the evil paysites(I'm not quite deluded enough to believe that we'll ever stop paysites, only EA can do that), so however people to choose to do that is good with me.  If this Poser Initiative actually takes off, I'd be really glad about it.

Except I think personally attacking others is a little distastful, so I choose not to participate in that for the most part.  There's better ways to go about it.
torque
ARR!

all I wanna do, wanna take your moneys!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 January 01, 14:14:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"

Yes, but this is a position that doesn't lend itself to effective action. It's like encouraging gun control while asking for less crime.

Yes, but do I look like a positive person to you? Do I look like the type of person to rely on "positive" solutions, I.E., cross your fingers, bury your head in the sand, and hope it goes away? Is that even the sort of thing that motivates me? No, I am a hostile person. When I am pushed into action, it will invariably be because something has pissed me off, and my response will thus be suitably hostile.

While filesharing may result in paysite owners throwing fits and taking their ball and going home, I'd rather see their mind changed through hugs and candy and showing them that it should be done for the love of creation, rather than greed - and that the community will no longer accept paysites.

Idealist and unrealistic, I know, but I like this rose-coloured world I live in.

I like rose-colored worlds also, but when my world is rose-colored, it is so because it is DRENCHED IN THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES! I want to see BLOOD! I want to BATHE in their blood! I want to bathe in their blood FOR A WEEK! Now, KILL THEM ALL!

Dude, you're so in the wrong century!

Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 January 01, 14:17:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL He needs a spaceship now!

fficial Sim Club member in all Sim World: Nouk, Marcossi, Moune, Orange Mittens, Nengi,, Fanseelamb, to many to list thei the best.
torque
ARR!

all I wanna do, wanna take your moneys!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 2007 January 01, 14:20:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Soup Parrot"
LOL He needs a spaceship now!

Yeah. Simshost will give him a discount.

LesserOr
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 January 01, 21:08:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I never claimed my approach was necessarily the only way to do it, just a lot more pleasant than pissing people off.

The pleasant approach is good for educating those who are on the fence, or just don't understand what the problem is. These people will usually be put off by the aggressive approach, leading to "They just want everything for free."
The problem is, paysite owners don't play fair. The pleasant can't do more than shake a finger at them, and a fist at EA.

The aggressive approach is good for combat. Paysites thrive by abusing the donation loophole, so it's only fair turnabout that they bleed customers via the free distribution loophole.
Words won't phase them, but stab them in the wallet...

Both are equally important. The pleasant won't win the war, the aggressive can't reach those who want to hold to ideals.
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2007 January 01, 21:25:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's no rule that someone can't be both pleasant and aggressive.  I am both, I think.
heaven-Leigh
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 January 01, 21:48:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "BlueSoup"
There's no rule that someone can't be both pleasant and aggressive.  I am both, I think.

Yes, pleasantly aggressive  :lol:
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 January 01, 21:53:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or aggressively pleasant.   No, that's Gali lol!

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: