PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 20:53:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  TSR: IN UR COMPUTER, VIRUSIN' UR FILES!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TSR: IN UR COMPUTER, VIRUSIN' UR FILES!  (Read 163944 times)
Anyerfillag
ARR!

View Profile
Re: TSR: IN UR COMPUTER, VIRUSIN' UR FILES!
« Reply #225 on: 2009 August 11, 16:27:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So what exactly would it mean if the Alt button was/wasn't used? I'm utterly confused to as why it's so damn important to them...

PMBD - Its not a fake-ass glitter funfest where everyone is wonderful and luuuuved (Ashbashtus)
scrappysim
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: 2009 August 11, 16:31:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have the tool but apparently it has something to do with a command for the 3d preview thing.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Deeply. . . . It's worth it!
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: 2009 August 13, 11:15:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been playing Persona 3 cuz Sims 3 kinda sucks but anyway I just caught up and...

Ya know, the Sims community is masochistic. TSR keeps pulling worse and worse crap and a ton of people who do absolutely know better just bend over and say "thank you sir may I have another." (Pescado gets away with shit too, actually, but asshole that he is I think he's still a net benefit, so meh.)

Gee let's all be "reasonable" here! We wouldn't want to go overboard accusing people we know to, at every turn, have made vile moral choices! After all, when they talk to us, they're nice, right? They don't swear or challenge us or argue or make us uncomfortable. They flatter us. They ask for our help. They've been proven to pull shit that's illegal, immoral, and just plain wrong, for YEARS, but why can't we all just get along? *sob*

See, I don't think it's "reasonable" to trust lying, cheating, money-grubbing scumbags. I guess I'm just a paranoid fanatic, huh? In the past few weeks, I have been enlightened, and I can truly see why Pescado became Pescado. Ugh.

minionsRmine
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 2009 August 13, 16:51:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

See, I don't think it's "reasonable" to trust lying, cheating, money-grubbing scumbags. I guess I'm just a paranoid fanatic, huh? In the past few weeks, I have been enlightened, and I can truly see why Pescado became Pescado. Ugh.
*thumbs up* Exactly my thoughts. I could paint stripes on my body, but that wouldn't make me a zebra.

Children suck on lollipops
The IRS likes to suck your money
Paysites just... suck.
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: 2009 August 13, 17:11:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Neriana, I've been trying to say the exact same damn thing and for some reason, could not get the words out this time. Thank you and no sarcasm is meant in that.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
SnarkyShark
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 2009 August 13, 22:15:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I could paint stripes on my body, but that wouldn't make me a zebra.

No, but it would make you very much like her -

- someone who just likes looking like a zebra. And that would mean that you're just plain cuckoo bananas.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: 2009 August 14, 00:47:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd string Thoma$$ and his disciples up in a heartbeat, personally.  I'm just saying why I think people keep giving these bozos the benefit of the doubt.  It is hard to fathom a crooked heart when you don't have on.

Or as Pescado says, judge by actions, not words.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 2009 August 14, 01:06:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or, you're just too stubborn to believe that people can be like that, or you can be easily fooled by bullshit artists, or you like the attention you get for trying to steer them straight or you are in their pocket and just don't realize it yet. Whole lot of different reasons to explain the same damn thing: not exposing and denouncing them for the lying, cheating dirty motherfuckers that enjoy taking your money and fucking over your PC that they actually are.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
millahnna
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: 2009 August 14, 04:10:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Honestly though, given how many Simmers I've met over the years who play no other PC game (maybe "casual games" like on the flash sites), it kind of doesn't surprise me.  They have no basis of comparison.  I also have no faith at all in humanity other than to assert their universe given right to be morons.  So you know, grain of salt and all. 

"I always look like a heart floating in a jar of formaldehyde when I go swimming. Always. I make a point of it. Doesn't everybody?"  -- HeyBubbe
justso
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 2009 August 14, 09:06:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Honestly though, given how many Simmers I've met over the years who play no other PC game (maybe "casual games" like on the flash sites), it kind of doesn't surprise me.  They have no basis of comparison.  I also have no faith at all in humanity other than to assert their universe given right to be morons.  So you know, grain of salt and all. 

I can really relate to this.  I only play the sims, I have never joined or participated in any other forums any where on the internet. The way some people behave in the community sometimes still shocks me.  It took ages to sign up here, because I had read people's opinions about the site before coming here I was more swayed by those opinions.  I was so naive I was a TSR wet dream.  If I had gone there first I would have loved the atmosphere,  the fake helpfulness, and yes, because I hadn't really checked into the free/paysite debate I would have subscribed to TSR, after all I wouldn't have been paying for downloads, I would be paying to be a special member of their site.  So luck was smiling on me when I didn't click that link on the BBS.
lorikay
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: 2009 August 14, 09:55:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm just like justso.  The sims is the only computer game I play.  I used to play a few dos games back in the day, but that's it.  When I found out through Nouk's site about TSR, which took me to the thread here, I was flabergasted. (A good grandma word).  I know I haven't been in the sims community very long, but damn I can see where TSR is fucking you all.  I wasn't around for sims1, and I was late to the show on sims2.  I understand that we never expect people to do bad things, but they do. Not everyone is like that.  But some people need vacation housing and what not.  So all you free creators have paid for that. 

I'm not going to say anything more about this.  I'm very appreciative for the mods that all the free creators have provided to me. 

Paden and Neriana are right.
Skoria_Bay
ARR!

Give me a tall ship and star to sail her by

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: 2009 August 14, 11:35:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was a lurker before I ever posted. I saw Nouk's post about the sharing names and addresses thing and gave it a read. And I'd heard about this site from Susim's old site. I was a subscriber at TSR, but let that lapse when I read about what shits they are. The only two computer games I play are NWN1 online and the Sims both 1 & 2, but I woke up and smelled the coffee.

I agree with Paden and Neriana. Thank you for expressing it best.

Pescado: I will THROW THEM IN A VAT OF BOILING SHARKS!
mustluvcatz: So, what good would a vat of boiling sharks do? I mean, wouldn't the sharks be dead?
Pescado: SILENCE!
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: 2009 August 14, 12:06:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I knew paysites were fucking us the moment they first popped up - at first, I could see a -tiny- fee because bandwidth was expensive.  I'd get a single month, get -everything- on the site whether I wanted it or not, then burn it to a disk.  But when bandwidth got cheaper, charging got lamer than it already was.  And when folks manage on -real- donations?

If a media service charges 10$ for me to broadcast to up to 50 listeners, and provides me with unlimited space to upload my music to play when there isn't a live DJ, and at a damn good quality speed - then it can't cost most of these sites -that- much to keep going, and if it does, they need to find a better provider.

I know -huge- sites do cost a bit, but really.....ask for donations, get [good quality] ads.  Lots of ways to pay for the expenses without -selling- what isn't yours to sell.

www.thestormradio.com
Motoki
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: 2009 August 15, 16:03:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can really relate to this.  I only play the sims, I have never joined or participated in any other forums any where on the internet. The way some people behave in the community sometimes still shocks me.  It took ages to sign up here, because I had read people's opinions about the site before coming here I was more swayed by those opinions.

This boggles my mind. I don't understand this mentality at all. I mean I am all for reading a range of opinions to make an informed choice, but I also want direct experience to be able to decide for myself. I would never think, 'Oh I wonder if I should go check out that site. Let me see what other people say about it' I would just go!

A wonderful example of this sort of mentality in the community is the recent patch. I've read lots of people running around like chicken little announcing how it will destroy your game bla bla. When questioned on what their actual direct experience was with patch a number of them had none! They hadn't even installed it. They just read something someone said on the BBS or TSR or MTS or where ever that it was bad and caused problems and so they accepted that as fact and went even further to run around repeating it as such to others. Most likely the originator of that anecdote had problems due to user error but that doesn't get conveyed. All that does is PATCH BAD!

I am not saying don't listen to anything anyone ever says online, but people also need to keep in mind that it is just something some random yahoo says on the internet and unless you know the person very well then what they say should be taken with a grain of salt, not as fact.

I knew paysites were fucking us the moment they first popped up - at first, I could see a -tiny- fee because bandwidth was expensive. 

I am so tired of that excuse. I already mentioned this on another thread, but I had years ago worked on a large very popular mod for Morrowind. I am talking over 100MB and it had thousands of downloads. This was in the days before the abundance of free file sharing sites too. We never had a problem finding somewhere to host our mod. Ever. If someone can't find free hosting for their files then they really aren't trying or looking because it is out there.

While I am on the subject of Elder Scrolls games and that community, I'm sure people here remember exnem and his Sims pay site. Well he modded for the Elder Scrolls games too. In fact he made one of the more popular body replacers for Oblivion. He never charged for his Elder Scrolls mods because the community would not tolerate it.

There is such a huge difference of thought on pay mods content in that and many other gaming communities vs the Sims community.

I remember once someone in the Elder Scrolls community told some German magazine they could put their mods on a CD the magazine was distributing with one of their issues and it caused a huge shitstorm in the community. People were outraged because they felt it was indirectly charging for mods by having to pay to buy the magazine. (In reality, they would charge the same for the magazine with or without those mods but it still caused a lot of outrage in the community)

TSR to me is the virtual equivalent of con artists swindling gullible old people out of their money. It's unethical and wrong.

At the same time people also need to educate themselves and make informed decisions and not just believe what some stranger tells them, or worse yet, hand them their money.

In Communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: 2009 August 16, 02:31:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, yes - it is an excuse, but at the time it seemed slightly reasonable, at least at first - but then you add up just how many people were paying 5 dollars a month to download stuff and it makes you mad.

But that's also the excuse used by the KiSS site I was at a lot too.

www.thestormradio.com
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: