PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 14:14:29

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Ea makes statement March 2 making paysites ok?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 46 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Ea makes statement March 2 making paysites ok?  (Read 192866 times)
meowbark
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Re: Ea makes statement March 2 making paysites ok?
« Reply #60 on: 2009 March 03, 02:51:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I cannot find words to describe how much win that post was made of! Grin

You mam, win at life!

I'm 12 and what is this
Sigmund
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2009 March 03, 02:51:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Impressive. Hopefully there are BBSers who will read that and finally understand just how detrimental paysites are to the community, as well as downright evil. (Looking at you, TSR.) There are too many people there that STILL do not know of the iffy tactics used by many paysites.

Incidentally, even if EA came out and declared paysites A-OK I'm not sure I could ever support them, though I doubt they ever will anyway. Paysites seem heavily destructive to the community, and a lot of them strike me as pretty shady, honestly. (Once again, TSR comes to mind.)

I sing along with elevator music.
Pooki
ARR!

Still Alive!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2009 March 03, 02:53:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They obviously don't understand the meaning of the word clarification. To me that post didn't clarify anything.  I also agree that post was very good Bluesoup. 

Snarky's mine despite obvious complications.
JennyJenny
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2009 March 03, 02:57:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My major issue w/ TSR isn't the payfiles; at this point in the proceedings if you still choose to pay for the stuff you get from TSR that's your choice. My main issue is with TSR's information sharing, not to mention their hypocrisy as far as customer/inter personnel relations. So EA can say "B nize 2 are frendz!!11" all they want, I will continue to point people here or elsewhere whenever possible.

However, I think I will start commenting on various TSR downloads "I'm so glad I got this from the Exchange, thanks for partnering w/ EA!" just to hope for a reaction (anyone ever done this and gotten one?)

What earned my lulz though was someone claiming that you don't pay for the files at TSR, you pay for the special subscriber forum areas.
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2009 March 03, 03:01:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Impressive. Hopefully there are BBSers who will read that and finally understand just how detrimental paysites are to the community, as well as downright evil.

Sadly, some of them couldn't even read the entire post.  Fucking morons.
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2009 March 03, 03:03:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What EA says about paysites doesn't matter to me. First, they don't make law, though plenty of people at the BBS seems to think they do. (If EA says it's illegal it must be, etc.) Second, I hate paysites on principle -- if EA does come out and openly support them (which they haven't), I'll just shrug and say, "figures," and keep doing what I've been doing. Charging for game mods is wrong.

Of course EA supports TSR's illegal, con-artist practices. This is the company that hopes its industry falters horribly during the economic depression, to reduce competition, and thinks there is nothing wrong with publicly admitting this fact.

ChaosInAMinor
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2009 March 03, 03:07:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm with neriana on this one. I don't care if they change their EULA. Paysites are wrong.

I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.
-Eddie Izzard
vexed
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: 2009 March 03, 03:11:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Impressive. Hopefully there are BBSers who will read that and finally understand just how detrimental paysites are to the community, as well as downright evil.

Sadly, some of them couldn't even read the entire post.  Fucking morons.

Why, when someone can't be fucked reading the OP, would they bother making a post to say they can't be fucked reading it?  Mucking Forons.

The more I think about this, the more livid I become.  Expect more fucking swearing from me in future. Cheesy

Visit Vexation Nation!

“When you tear out a man’s tongue, you’re not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say.”
–Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings, ASoIaF
uknortherner
ARR!

Wherever I lay my hat... That's my home.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2009 March 03, 03:13:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Even if they change the EULA, it can't be retroactively applied. No copy of the Sims 2 or the expansion/scam packs already in circulation will have it, thus it will not be legally binding. The only way they could possibly get around this is to change the wording and apply it to their patches. Even then, the end user has to agree to it.

The sheep will, of course but the rest of us? Fat chance.

ETA: Yeah, I don't get the posters who say they can't be bothered reading it all but feel like telling the rest of us all the same. No kid, you don't have ADD - You're just fucking lazy, and that sort of attitude is going to get you nowhere in life.
« Last Edit: 2009 March 03, 03:20:15 by uknortherner » Logged

The preceding message does not contain the following: Crappy poetry; song lyrics from really obscure bands; 12ish netspk; random confusion over "there", "their" and "they're"; aLtCaPs; superspeshulsnowflaekeness or any other glitter-filled bollocks.
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2009 March 03, 03:26:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, let's take the worst case senario, and EA does come out and support TSR.

EA didn't invent SimPE

The creators of SimPE have said you aren't supposed to use their tools to make money.

Shouldn't their wishes be respected, since, you know, Drea just said that we should respect the rights of all creators.

TSR you still lose.  Unless you want to only become a clothing and wall shop.  Even then you're still wrong, but you're not twice as wrong.

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Missbonbon
ARR!

Bonbons... Sally Bonbons

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2009 March 03, 03:26:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So essentially, we should play nice with the paysites.  Cheesy

If they haven't changed the EULA, then our cause is still just. Even if they did, the way I see it, it would only affect CC created using the tools/EP's/SP's following that same EULA. Everything beforehand would still be fair game legally. Let's not forget this lovely information is coming from MaxoidDrea too. Obviously a Maxoid that is butt buddies with TSR. If a SimMaster/other maxoid posted the information then I would find it just a tad more believable.

Bluesoup, thanks for posting that letter. It was a very good read.

"Why don't you take your sisters barbie and shove it sideways up your rectum.  Then send Ken to rescue her."- Soggyfox
Shark*Tooth*Hester
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2009 March 03, 03:45:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Super tinfoil hat time.

So what if, EA after years of watching our community fork over cash for buggy, substandard crap says "Hey we should cash in on that" and decides to talk to TSR, the biggest peddlers of buggy substandard crap of all. EA doesn't want to code well - as they'll be expected to if they start releasing additional content properly - and TSR doesn't want competition. It's a match made somewhere very hot. Since it's late to convert existing customers (after eight years of being a free community it's not going to fly) they'll introduce it as a "feature" of sims 3.

EA plans to lock the game and makes it as difficult as they can to mod or change without their required tools. Then they make people pay for additional content or distribute licenses to do so. EA gets a share of the profit and none of the responsibility. TSR is the flagship enterprise that cements this merge. Since everyone else can only make new colors of cow print textures until they get their licence they bend to EA's will. Until then all EA has to do is play both sides and tell them everything is gonna be OK.

Now Thomas is grinning like a cat who ate a canary. He's too stupid to keep it under his hat and let it surprise sheeple into complying. He wants to feel like the big man now, like he used to. Insert the last few months of complete and utter graceless stupidity. He behaves like a trust fund baby who knows Mama can get him out of jail. This ends in the debacle of Reflex Forum closing due to internal strife directly caused by his meddling. This rubs a few thousand people entirely the wrong way and is not part of EA's plans.

EA in the face of overwhelming evidence of not just any paysite but their new partner's misdeeds, bullying, and general destructive behavior, but not wanting to incite additional rage (and sensing their plans may have already gone extremely awry) says in completely mumbled doublespeak "Uh...let's play nice guys." In hopes of being able to salvage the tenacious hold on their skippy idea to make extra money. Rage ensues anyway, film at 11.
siberiansunset
ARR!

Nimeni on Inigo Montoya...

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2009 March 03, 03:50:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Blue Soup-Thanks for posting a most intelligent and professional letter. It's a shame you got idiots there who don't understand the breadth of the matter. And who can't sit there and read a well constructed statement. *sigh* I now remember why I stay away from there...

There's humans and monkeys and you're what God made between.
Oh yeah, SHAKESHIT IS A THIEF!
Set Them Free!
TSR Tool...
Rowan
Landlubber

I lurk, therefore I am.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2009 March 03, 03:52:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, that was awesome.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: 2009 March 03, 04:14:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, I don't care what Drea says.  At this point I'm getting to where I don't even give a flying fuck about anything JR says.

EA shits on the awesome freesites and plays house with scumbags.  Fine, they want to play that way?  I'm feeling rather Robin Hood-ish right about now, and I've never liked scumbags -or- bullies.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 46 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: