PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 19:26:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Insim under new management!
0 Members and 4 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 237 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Insim under new management!  (Read 909372 times)
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
Re: Insim under new management!
« Reply #3360 on: 2008 December 05, 04:56:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In other news, I haven't been able to log onto the ftp part of my site for months.  I was in denial and convinced myself it was something on my end so I kept trying.  Today I finally messaged the domain owner and she told me she sold the domain, including my site!   Shocked  So yeah, I'm pretty much on the same boat as you Insim refugees.  I messaged her back asking for the new domain owner's contact info so hopefully I will get granted access to grab all my stuff and then delete it.  Most of it I do not have backups for.  Sad
What the hell? Is that even legal? How can that happen?

Well, she is the one that's been paying for it all these years out of her pocket.  It's hers and she can sell it if she wants to.  The domain itself I mean and not my site.  It would of been nice to have had some warning beforehand so I could get my stuff and clear out my "locker"..  It's not like she couldn't contact me.  My youngest sister is her best friend of over 15 years.  ^^;

ETA:  She hosted many people on her domain like what WNF does.  So I guess everybody's sites got sold along with the domain like mine did.

ETA2:  Is there a way I can download everything from my subdomain without logging onto the ftp?

<snip>

http://forums.sims2community.com/showthread.php?t=63845

<snip>

It's not perfect - it's almost 2 AM now and I'm tired and my brain is fried.  Any lack of including certain people/sites is probably not intentional, and I'll admit I don't know all of the history of everything all the way back.  Also, be aware that it is not particularly pro-pirate.  It's not anti-pirate either, but I tried to go with as fair and unbiased as I could - I didn't want it to have an obvious slant to it that would turn people off from the overall point.  I know you guys tend to be a bit more about the lolcat/fail macros than handing someone an informative pamphlet, but I figure there's room for both approaches, and if you aren't catching any flies with vinegar, it might be time to try a little honey.

I love you.  If you still lived in Texas, I'd buy you a round of whatever alcohol your heart desired.  Cheesy

And we're pretty macro free these days.  It's mainly contained to a few threads.  Our current body is a lot kinder and gentler than of those past.  I blame Mando since she appears to be dead.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 05, 05:04:39 by missangelica » Logged

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
Scurvy Cat
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: 2008 December 05, 05:07:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's been my experience that stupid people do far more damage than most evil people. One of the problems is because smart evil people are usually predictable, while stupid people don't really process anything well enough to stick to a pattern.  The other, more insidious problem is that smart people have trouble believing that anyone could be that stupid and assume the idiot knows what they're doing and that there are deep subtle reasons behind it.

Example: Someone I know was an electronics technician at a university and was assigned the job of putting together a way of doing controlled explosions for a project in the Geology department.  The asst. professor in charge of the project was asked for certain specifications and, instead of doing the measurements he made the figures up.  The technician spent over a year trying to do what the prof wanted, told him repeatedly that the specs had to be wrong.  The guy made it clear he'd made them up, wasn't going to change them and that the tech should just do the job.  Whenever the tech got grilled about why the job wasn't moving ahead he'd explain the problem and be told that no one could be that stupid.  Eventually whoever it was would go talk to the prof, and, as it was described to me, they'd start twitching then they'd go away and never bring the subject of the job up again. This happened several times as it went up the food chain in the Electronics shop and the Geology department.   Eventually the whole project collapsed, but the tech spent over a year dealing with this idiot.  He still twitches when he talks about it.

Walt sounds like a close relative of the prof.

Some people are like Slinkies.  Not much use but they always bring a smile when pushed down the stairs.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: 2008 December 05, 05:09:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In other news, I haven't been able to log onto the ftp part of my site for months.  I was in denial and convinced myself it was something on my end so I kept trying.  Today I finally messaged the domain owner and she told me she sold the domain, including my site!   Shocked  So yeah, I'm pretty much on the same boat as you Insim refugees.  I messaged her back asking for the new domain owner's contact info so hopefully I will get granted access to grab all my stuff and then delete it.  Most of it I do not have backups for.  Sad
Which domain, which site? Selling a DNS is not the same as selling the entire server, so if you can resolve the IP of the server, it's easy to get back into the server.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: 2008 December 05, 05:19:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Which domain, which site? Selling a DNS is not the same as selling the entire server, so if you can resolve the IP of the server, it's easy to get back into the server.

It's trulyobsessed.com.  The message I get when I try to use the ftp is "user cannot log in".
« Last Edit: 2008 December 05, 05:55:56 by missangelica » Logged

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
mando
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: 2008 December 05, 05:53:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And we're pretty macro free these days.  It's mainly contained to a few threads.  Our current body is a lot kinder and gentler than of those past.  I blame Mando since she appears to be dead.

Not dead. In Siberia Cheesy. But, I'm intently reading everything from inside my jail cell (please send mittens and a scarf, my jar is getting very cold).
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: 2008 December 05, 06:04:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How did you get there? Last I knew, we'd stuffed you in the basement with Markus and Snarky!?

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
astroth
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: 2008 December 05, 06:29:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

GoDaddy who.is updated server info today

http://who.godaddy.com/WhoIsRegData.aspx?k=wHxHkTPsg+CEgY6i18fBGg==&domain=dld2000.com&prog_id=godaddy

maybe godaddy will sell his domain name like they did missangelica  Tongue

Interesting, the Wild West Domains which is listed in the quoted post with the godaddy link is about two hours south of me.  As for what their stake in this whole mess which is becoming stranger and weirder by the day or at least that is what is seems like is anybody guess.

Well I still find the whole thing to a shitty action as for the owners of both InSim sites, I'm glad that Pescado stepped up to save the content from the sites.
Metatwaddle
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: 2008 December 05, 06:34:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

im also seeing that the domain for TSR is owned by a Johan Isacsson, which is interesting, as ive been told by someone else that its meant to be owned by a steve something?

strange. can anyone give me any more info i can use?

EDIT - it appears that this Johan Isacsson also uses the name Thomas Isacsson, which i beleive should ring a few bells
Actually, TSR's staff page lists Thomas and Johan as two different people:
Thomas Isacsson - Graphics/Design & HTML, Founder
Thomas was also one of the original founders and has worked with TSR since the very beginning. He is the person responsible for all graphical elements and the layout of the site ever since the first TSR redesign several years ago. He is always working on ways to improve the overall layout and usability of the site.
View my profile
Johan Isacsson - Programmer, Founder
Johan is one of the original founders as well and is probably unknown to many. He was the person who built the first downloads archive and the first pieces of functionality when TSR was opened several years ago. He is always working on ways to improve the functionality of the site.

"That's such a nasty fucking word. I'm so damn glad it was censored! It would have shat me to have seen such a cocksucking term as 'prick!'" --Deelink
YARRcat
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: 2008 December 05, 09:06:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

oh my god, I caught up.  I really, really caught up. I can't believe the saga continues.  My days lately exist only to read Walt threads, go to work, read Walt threads, sleep, and repeat.  Perhaps I'll have to give up sleeping like Pescado. 

Anyway, the thing the boggles me is how many people here struggle to understand what an imbecile Walt truly must be, and how many topics keep popping up saying Walt has some mysterious master plan.  Bah.  There are morons with money everywhere, folks!  Although, how much of the money is Walt's and how much is Mommy's is still in question.  Any idiot can own an LLC.  And Walt is all business.  Thus the talk of non-profits a while back in Walt's "here's how you can buy me out" letter.  He CAN'T understand a concept like the sims community, no matter how many people try to explain it to him.  Because in business, peoples gets paid.  Non-profits still make a ton of profit. People who work for non-profits (like moi) still gets paid.  Walt will never understand a "break even" concept in a website.  Never.  Sadly there are many many many Walts out there.  They work their ways up the business ladder by sprouting business babble (anyone remember Walt's "The future of the site is BRIGHT!" line?)  Shit like that can get you far.  These kinds make their decisions, carry out their plan, and then ask for input.  Backwards?  Yes.  But they were going to ignore the input anyway, so what difference does it make to them?  And the peons underneath them?  They could give two shits.  Next, la revolucion should focus it's attention on bringing down the morons of the world.  Once all the paysites are destryed first, of course.  It could be called morons.mustbeneutered.com. 

Crap, I'm ranting.  And, possibly not even making sense as I need.  sleep.
justso
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: 2008 December 05, 09:35:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think we are far off track thinking Walt is an idiot.  On the other hand we must never underestimate an enemy. Always assume they have a very cunning plan.  There are people out there who disagree with warplan beige, but if the guy went back up with the site and starting shilling out other people's work there will be no one left on his side (apart from miros).  If that guy shits on our lawn we have enough info and have enough people to shit on every square inch of his lawn. The guy's reputation in the business world would go downhill faster than you could say bendover.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 05, 09:42:11 by justso » Logged
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: 2008 December 05, 09:50:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ISmain is now operational and will be announced once the staff finishes cleaning out the smell of dead Walt.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
ToxicTuna
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: 2008 December 05, 09:51:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

He's probably kind of an aimless moron with money.  I'm familiar with some of those Northern VA tech corridor types, having worked with that ilk back during the DotCom boom...and my poor husband occasionally has to put up with them now.  The ones who present themselves as expert in web-related endeavors and who are truly smart and good at what they do,  simply do it and aren't all over the damned place because they're in demand and their employers bend over backwards to keep them.  The ones who have their heads up their azzes seem to be the ones who have their fingers in every pie, so to speak.  

A good number of them were "laid off" during the dot com bust and are running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to start businesses of every kind, mostly relating to the internet because they bought into the idea that the internet was "the place to be" even though they usually don't have a clue how to survive in it.  And worse, they usually are armed with intellectual property they half-assedly raided from their former employers or are trying to set up a clone of their previous company and end up getting sued over no-compete clauses.  A lot of them have MBA's that mean nothing other than they were able to afford to educate themselves beyond the limits imposed by their intelligence and common sense.  As a result, they love to spout corporate-speak and sound like they know what they're talking about.  They can often wrap themselves in a pretty package, land a job, and then lose that job in a year or less when it becomes apparent their MBA stands for Masterful Bullshit Articulator.  My husband has found himself in demand at his company because he can spot these doofuses during the hiring process and save the managers untold agony--if the managers themselves are not too stupid to take note.  

That is not to say Walt is one of these people.  But so far he's matching the profile.  I'm not personally famiiliar with Warrenton VA, but if I'm not mistaken, I think it is not exactly the hub of business for the Northern VA area--it's a lower cost of living area than the more centrally located regions.  

Walt has evidently made a run at local govt under the banner of the Libertarian Party: http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Thiessen_Walt_672833557.aspx   For those of you not familiar with the US political parties, the Libertarian party is never a strong contender in our elections.  It can attract a lot of NWO (New World Order) conspiracy theorists and people who have a hard time appealing to the mainstream--not because their ideas are totally off.  But because they have difficulty fully articulating their ideas and tend to blow up when someone tries to debate them.  Or...they are sound in one area, but completely bonkers in their other ideas.  Such was the case with one Congressional candidate I was thinking of voting for until I researched him.  He had sound ideas about economics but was totally batshit crazy and apparently poorly educated in any other area.  

Sorry if any of this has been brought up already.  I read to about page 16 in this thread and backtracked from the last two pages and that's about when my eyes gave out.   I'm sure somebody will make me walk the plank if I repeated useless junk.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: 2008 December 05, 09:56:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For those of you not familiar with the US political parties, the Libertarian party is never a strong contender in our elections.
It's a two-party system. No one else ever is a strong contender.

Such was the case with one Congressional candidate I was thinking of voting for until I researched him.  He had sound ideas about economics but was totally batshit crazy and apparently poorly educated in any other area.
Fortunately, one of the main points of libertarian governance is that we don't actually have to DO anything. See: Here, MATY. So vote for us: A vote for anyone else is a vote for shooting puppies!

Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: 2008 December 05, 10:07:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ours is a two-party system also, with a few sideshows down at the end of the chamber.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Sunni
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: 2008 December 05, 10:52:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

HaHa Walt for Office?!!  He cant even control a simple web forum, I shudder to think of more serious responsibilities. Hmmn, was his mother the campaign manager?

Edit: Need some election macros
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 237 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: