PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 11:23:44

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Insim under new management!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 237 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Insim under new management!  (Read 908661 times)
Simsvalley
Landlubber

Sv3 & Back Alley

View Profile WWW
Re: Insim under new management!
« Reply #1860 on: 2008 December 02, 02:15:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If he's not a Sims 2 fan what good is he?? If he doesn't know anything about this great community! What is he going to do? Buy all the games to understand this great community.. what ever!!! Anyway it's sad to see a site that what was once a great site be taken over by someone that doesn't even know the game or anything about the community of simmers, I could never do that I have had a site for about year and I have updated for the Sims 3 and I am still working on it, we have do not a huge member base but it's made cause I love the game and the community it's sad when people loose the ability to maintain their site due to financial issues. I am sad to see both Imsim and Insim adult changing hands, I do hope to open an adult version of SimsValley3 really soon... wow still in shock cause who buys a site for a huge community when they know NOTHING about the people with in it? I just don't get it. Like I said sux to see it going out like that.

SimsValley

Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1861 on: 2008 December 02, 02:27:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If he's not a Sims 2 fan what good is he?? If he doesn't know anything about this great community! What is he going to do? Buy all the games to understand this great community.. what ever!!! Anyway it's sad to see a site that what was once a great site be taken over by someone that doesn't even know the game or anything about the community of simmers...

Yeah but as has been repeated many times we all have to remember that the previous owners of 'what was once a great site' willingly sold it to Mr.  I don't pretend to play or understand anything about the game and dynamic of a forum centered around it.   It's sad those owners thought so little of their own community to do this to them. 

I enjoy making fun of Walt as much as the next guy, and will continue to do so.  However I don't blame him for the predicament that insim and it's mods/members are facing now.  Clearly, not many people are keen on the prospect of someone who is just looking to make a profit owning insim, but it's not his fault he was led to believe that they would be. 

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
fway
ARR!

ESTP

View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: 2008 December 02, 02:54:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The real deal...

Overwhelming for me... yet kinda lulzy.

I heard about it through somebody and had to see for myself.

Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: 2008 December 02, 02:58:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That was one of Kathy's things that she'd post when she was doing one of her updates. Still funny, though...

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: 2008 December 02, 03:00:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When times are tough, people need to be able to escape for short periods of time. That's what the entertainment industry offered in the 1930s...much needed escapes. Movie theaters were popular. It was the Big Band era, and in places like Harlem ballrooms such as the Savoy, the Roseland Ballroom, and the Apollo Theatre survived and thrived. Night clubs were popular in the cities. In the towns and rural areas, dances and church events and county fairs and community groups were organized to provide entertainment alternatives. Throughout America, people engaged in low-cost and no-cost entertainment of all kinds, and the pattern repeated itself around the world.

I want this man to die in a fire. What does the dustbowl have to do with Harlem? Hey douchebag, my grandparents lived through the Great Depression too. All of us have ancestors who lived in the 1930s or we would not exist. My maternal grandmother's parents owned a grocery store, so they did okay, though they had to be very, very thrifty. My maternal grandfather was sent to live on a family farm, where there was plenty of food for him to eat, and where he could help out. My paternal grandmother's family did not have enough to eat on a regular basis, and until her death she was obsessed with food and if the people she fed had gotten enough to eat at every single meal. Oh lookies now I iz gr8 biznessprsn!

For-profit entertainment generally did very poorly during the 1930s in America. People don't go, "oh, we're miserably poor -- hey let's go spend some money on frivolity now!" GAH.

I hate Walt so much.

heartless
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: 2008 December 02, 03:26:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All of us have ancestors who lived in the 1930s or we would not exist.

I know! Walt talks as if nobody but him has ever even heard of the Great Depression before even though undoubtedly most of us have a parent or grandparents who has told us plenty of stories about life back then. Most of which don't exactly support his "bread and circuses" idea.
Not to mention we're not even in a second depression yet.
Scourge
Landlubber

To flay skin.

View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: 2008 December 02, 03:28:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh, my grandmother had this wonderful saying which was taken from her experience during the Great Depression: "Don't spend your money on something that you can't afford."

Fine advice. It's a shame that some people would rather spend their money (and/or their Mom's money) on a website and then ask for more monies from the community right after it was purchased.

"I'm the scourge that your Gods sent to punish your people. Scary, huh?"
MistaEff
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: 2008 December 02, 03:33:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suspect that the whole "The current Recession - just like mom used to make!" spiel was the same pitch that he made to his aging mother in order to get his paws on her moniez. "Hey mom, remember back when everybody was poor and no one had any hope for the future? This is like that, except with teh internets. I know you don't know what that is, but it means that I make more money off of poor people when times are bad. So what do you say to investing? If you disagree, blink once. If you agree, blink twice and I'll give you back your feeding tube."

And how is studying history supposed to help run a business? He should have studied business, or at least taken a class to learn that knowing history does not = degree in business management. His incompetence as owner of the site is displayed by his purchasing of the site in the first place.
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: 2008 December 02, 03:38:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And how is studying history supposed to help run a business? He should have studied business, or at least taken a class to learn that knowing history does not = degree in business management. His incompetence as owner of the site is displayed by his purchasing of the site in the first place.

It is crystal clear that he has not studied history either. I think he watched a show about the Depression on The History Channel.

heartless
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: 2008 December 02, 03:42:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

His incompetence as owner of the site is displayed by his purchasing of the site in the first place.

Yeah, that totally makes me scratch my head. If he wanted to make some money... why buy a random community oriented around a game he does not even play? I mean, Insim is well-known within the Sims 2 community, but to the outside world? I don't think so... If he wanted to make money off a gaming community, he would have been better off purchasing a community for a game like World of Warcraft or something, one would think, since everyone pretty much knows what that game is even if they don't play it, and there's no "World of Warcraft 3" coming out that would potentially take away a lot of traffic and members of the community.
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1870 on: 2008 December 02, 03:46:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What makes him think that if money is tight people are going to spend it on something they can easily get for free and most importantly don't need?  I'd fear if I was someone who was relying on donations of any kind, and if money gets that tight for me, there are only a few causes that I would really stretch my pockets for, and none of them are going to be sim sites (no offense sim owners but I'd rather have people eat). 

My guess is the music and movie industries should watch the hell out now since most of that media ends up digital and can cost you nothing if you have half a brain to find it.  I am not advocating, I'm just saying, there are plenty of free ways to entertain yourself.  Poor Walt has no idea what he is up against, and if he didn't sound like a total douche every time he opened his mouth I would probably feel sorry for him.     

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
TKPurrrrs
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: 2008 December 02, 03:49:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree MistaEff... I may not have a buisness degree but I have taken buisness classes before and one of the parts of taking classes like that is learning that if you want your new emplyoyees and customers to like you and believe in you (witch you need if you want them to follow you instead of quiting or dumping your serveces) is that you have to show respect and understanding of the current social structure and you have to understand the people your working with. You go in a workplace with older people doing it the same way for 50 yrs you dont put in an automated system hand them a handbook and expect them to do well and or make quota (after all they dont understand the system and have their own ways of doing the same thing... you have to point out the good points and retrian them slowly and take in consideration some of their own input and experience) ... nor do you walk in after a buyout or takeover and not bother to work with the current staff in the process unless you want to piss them off or replace them entirely. He basically did the exact thing you should do if you want to piss everybody off, fire getrid of or just have people quit, and make everyone misrible. So in my mind he gets what he deserves if we let him with just a husk of a site... Idiot has no people skills or understanding of managing people.
simsgurl
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: 2008 December 02, 03:55:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it just me or has anyone else made a connection between this guy and Daddy Bigbucks from some of the other sims games?
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1873 on: 2008 December 02, 03:56:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Of course, even that's not necessarily true - that his mom isn't familiar with the internet.  My grandmother was raised in the depression too, and she knows what the internet is is - kinda.  She's going to be 90 in two more days and does have her own computer - she mostly sends a lot of those filled with funny picture spam-type mail things around.

My mom is 64 and knows what the internet is, and mostly understands the insides of a computer, just sometimes mixing up hard drive space and RAM.

But yeah, I think he's trying to be reassuring and is just not getting it.  Its even possible that he is trying to just look for some justifications for the behavior of K&E - some people do that rather than think ill of them.  I don't think Walt's a bad guy yet - I think he's a dupe, naive and a horrid businessman.

Then again, if he -had- bought a business and came in and said 'Look, I know the old owners could be a bit hamfisted in letting you guys have the authority to do anything, and I'm more interested in not hampering you guys in doing what you do.' then it wouldn't -be- so suspicious.  I've had that happen before, and it actually was what it seemed.  Walt's problem is, he didn't buy a business, he bought a community.

I think for a lot of us its just easier to pick, pock and prod the stranger, than let out how we feel about a betrayal by one of our own.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
dusdeedawn
Pirate

Baldercrap.

View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: 2008 December 02, 03:57:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it just me or has anyone else made a connection between this guy and Daddy Bigbucks from some of the other sims games?

I don't know, he kind of reminds me of Mimi Landgraab from Bustin' Out. Except, of course, rather than daughter mooching off daddy it's son mooching off mommy. Nevertheless, there's some serious apron-string issues going on here.

Shits and giggles? It looks like shit and we giggle. - Paden
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 237 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: