PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 04:36:47

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Insim under new management!
0 Members and 6 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 237 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Insim under new management!  (Read 910093 times)
Amazone
Buccaneer
ARR!

The haunted Witch

View Profile
Re: Insim under new management!
« Reply #1530 on: 2008 December 01, 08:48:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This must be Pescado, no doubt:

http://tsr.mustbedestroyed.org/crapola/over9000.mp3

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: 2008 December 01, 08:50:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It would make more sense for TJ to just finish adding to the Blender what it needs.
He would be the most logical to carry on the work but he's also said there's some stuff he won't put in it, some stuff that I know I use the Insim for.  But the Blender comes very close to the insim, that's for sure.

He said he won't put in the stuff my teleporter already covers.  That is because unlike some people, TwoJeffs is not trying to set up a monopoly and is respecting other creators' areas of work.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: 2008 December 01, 08:56:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It would make more sense for TJ to just finish adding to the Blender what it needs.
He would be the most logical to carry on the work but he's also said there's some stuff he won't put in it, some stuff that I know I use the Insim for.  But the Blender comes very close to the insim, that's for sure.

He said he won't put in the stuff my teleporter already covers.  That is because unlike some people, TwoJeffs is not trying to set up a monopoly and is respecting other creators' areas of work.

Uh. So if one creator's stuff overlaps with another's, they aren't being "respectful" enough? That's absurd. I'd much rather have all the stuff in one mod. It's tj's choice, of course. But you might as well say that because one person made a Mission style chair, another person isn't allowed to do so because that wouldn't be respecting the first person's work! Or if one person makes a leveling mod for Oblivion, no one else is allowed to, because it's already been done.

Make what you want. Let people choose what to use. Seriously, your post is straining my wtf organ.

Skadi
Mushroom Girl
ARR!

Sublime Mushroom Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1533 on: 2008 December 01, 09:09:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Over 9000 is a meme, here are some links about it:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=over+9000
http://encyclopediadramatica.com/index.php/Over_9000

"Over 9000" is now used as slang for something of impressive power, skill, extreme circumstances, or fun, as in "cool!" or "great!" In the Dragon Ball Z TV program when Vegeta and a sidekick come across Goku, Vegeta's scouter reveals Goku's power level and screams "OVER NINE THOUSAND!"[2]

This is often used as a catch phrase by the Anonymous group.
Hence my 4chan geekyness showing.

Pesky Pescado's in your garden? SublimeSims.net. Proud host to Illusions of Grandeur, Calalily Sims and Sims2Artists.
Amazone
Buccaneer
ARR!

The haunted Witch

View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: 2008 December 01, 09:18:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Skadi Smiley I had no clue, happy to learn something new every day, even if this is
not in my priority level.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
ARR!

Sublime Mushroom Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1535 on: 2008 December 01, 09:22:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At least now people will get my macro.  Embarrassed

Pesky Pescado's in your garden? SublimeSims.net. Proud host to Illusions of Grandeur, Calalily Sims and Sims2Artists.
dusdeedawn
Pirate

Baldercrap.

View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: 2008 December 01, 09:25:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought setting up a monopoly was how one wins the game.

And are you making a pass at Pescado?

Shits and giggles? It looks like shit and we giggle. - Paden
nekochanpurr
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: 2008 December 01, 09:31:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey guys... Sorry for kind of intruding. I thought i was going to have something more insightful to say, but i was trying to catch up... and then it got to be 4:30 am. lol
Anyway, i just wanted to say its really cool to see the community coming together like this. I didn't go to Insim a lot, but i can see how people can or would be attached to a forum. Good luck to you all! If theres anything i can do to help, i'll try my best..
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: 2008 December 01, 09:33:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Neriana I suppose the other thing you've got to keep in mind as well is, in the context of the modders it reduces the chance of conflicts too, thus leading to less borkage of other's games. Wink

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
ARR!

Sublime Mushroom Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1539 on: 2008 December 01, 09:35:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And are you making a pass at Pescado?

Even if Inge was, I don't think her killing-with-thumbs skill is high enough to get her anywhere.

The downside to the One Mod To Rule Them All is that there can be conflicts, and many people remember InSim borking the game spectacularly when testing with new EPs. Also one has to wonder how much of the InSim updating delays were Eric and RL and how much was the complexity of the hack getting in the way.

calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1540 on: 2008 December 01, 09:42:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At least now people will get my macro.  Embarrassed

I got it. I think I have that one saved somewhere.   Cheesy

Uh. So if one creator's stuff overlaps with another's, they aren't being "respectful" enough? That's absurd.

Yeah, I have to agree here, unless we want to call a sims community wide halt to bedding making.  I've seen ones very similar to mine, but am glad that I don't have to do all possible variations for people - just for me.  I've also made things before that haven't come up in searches/I haven't seen that exist elsewhere, but that I came to find later.  And despite the overwhelming amount of decorative blanket meshes, people still download the different ones, and people still request new ones.

Neriana I suppose the other thing you've got to keep in mind as well is, in the context of the modders it reduces the chance of conflicts too, thus leading to less borkage of other's games. Wink

Most of the hacks and mods have documentation and notes.  That solves that problem.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: 2008 December 01, 09:58:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Make what you want. Let people choose what to use. Seriously, your post is straining my wtf organ.

Attitudes vary.  I am as entitled to mine as you are to yours.  wtf back at'ya.

Some posters understood that I was talking about game override hacks, not objects.  You can have any number of similar beds without problem.  However, when a popular hacker makes a huge single-download bundle of hacks that include almost every known BHAV in the game, it effectively makes it impossible for the less-technically minded downloaders to opt for getting some of their hacks elsewhere, due to the complexity in unbundling the directors' cut and even in some cases disassembling single packages that have more than one behaviour mod in.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 01, 10:05:50 by Quorneater » Logged

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Tamarind
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: 2008 December 01, 10:24:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I went to work on Thursday and came home to find all hell had broken loose around the Insiminator sites and this morning I am in here still trying to catch up on everyhting thats happened.  I work long shifts over the weekend.  

From what i can gather from the posts Pescado is trying to backup/rescue the site contents.  Thats really great and very kind.  Especially, Neriana, as some of us on the site have recently been affected by a virus, lost stuff and have been trying to copy back from the site before all this happened.  

And yeah you can all scoff and laugh at me for not having had good enough backups but as a someone who has only begun using online sites/downloads/posting in the last year I am a learning as I go, usually after something has gone wrong and I have to make sure it does not happen again.

Personally I was horrified at the sites being sold, especially the way it was handled.  I know Kathy and Eric have real life problems and they have my sympathy for everything that they have gone through and are still dealing with.  Some of those issues are heartbreaking.

However over the year that i have been a member of the ISA community I have, as someone pointed out, seen either of them in the site rarely and usually only to ask for money or to rant at people.  They have, in my limited experience, shown very little consideration for the problems of the people who run their site, the mods, supermods and administrators. Many of them have serious RL issues too. The way they have handled this sale without a word to any of the people who do all the work for them has done nothing to imporove my opinion of them.  To my mind they have expected the sympathy for everything that they go through yet show little compassion for anyone elses.

I have also witnessed the lack of support they have given the people that make the site work for them.  They and Walt should remember that although the term is 'staff' nobody was paying Odessa or Paden, Sparks or Hardwaretoad, GP, Beos or any of the many other hard working folks that ran this site for them.  And while the problems they have that I know about do know about do make me sympathetic to their RL issues I can't say i have ever liked what I have seen of them and their actions here come as no big surprise to me.

Also, looking at the figures, if the site was $500 dollars to host per month, how come the site was always '$500 ($600,$750 dollars whatever) behind in monsy for 'the servers alone' whjen there were a lot of us making regular donations?  Who did they lie to?  Us or Walt?  In spite iof the speculations i have seen in this thread I guess none of us are sure.  probably a bit of both.

I have no real idea of the simworld politics, why this person working with that person is odd or surprising.  But from what I have read in this thead, if I am not missing some ulterior motives, i find it heartening that people seem to be working together.

At the risk of seeming a wimp though, I don't think the site should be burned.  That does seem immoral.  And it might be more fun for Walt to be standing there waiting for the sound of ringing tills and hearing instead the wind blowing tumbleweed around while all the people he thought would be giving him money are off playing elsewhere.

Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: 2008 December 01, 10:35:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some posters understood that I was talking about game override hacks, not objects.  You can have any number of similar beds without problem.
Well, not quite. Most people do a crappy job when it comes to making objects, and as a result, the object tends to be similarly crap: Missing functionality and whacked-out numbers is the rule rather than the exception.

However, when a popular hacker makes a huge single-download bundle of hacks that include almost every known BHAV in the game, it effectively makes it impossible for the less-technically minded downloaders to opt for getting some of their hacks elsewhere, due to the complexity in unbundling the directors' cut and even in some cases disassembling single packages that have more than one behaviour mod in.
The Director's Cut is provided for convenience in updating. Because tracking and updating over 150 items is a REAL PAIN IN THE NECK, and the alternative is a dodgy program which raises privacy and spyware concerns to manage this. Or I can just provide a package of something stuffed in a zip. As for "complexity"...unzip is not complex.

As for "multiple behavior mods", unless you're talking about the minipatches, I have no idea who you're referring to specifically. The Kitten Killer is defunct now, yes?
Truly, though, there is nothing more horrendous than a giant super-mod maintained by a whiny slacker.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
SmilingSweetly
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: 2008 December 01, 10:38:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is in fact dead, deceased, and defunct. I believe there will be some no new names who will try to revive it, but for why I'm not sure.

Edit because I really shouldn't be posting so early in the a.m.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 01, 14:13:18 by SmilingSweetly » Logged

Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 237 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: