PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 06:49:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Good morning, please check here
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Good morning, please check here  (Read 56954 times)
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
Re: Good morning, please check here
« Reply #90 on: 2008 October 14, 10:34:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think "bloke" is more used by well, blokes.  It was severely overused by Kevin Bloody Wilson, and now most women hate it, I think. I use wanker a lot.  I use mate all the time, but not so much in text mediums, as I don't want to sound like I'm condescending or being over familiar, as I normally don't wear a badge saying "I'm an Aussie, it's nothing personal".   Cheesy I use bugger (which is from England) and bloody, and I love using prat.  Smiley

Every time I read one of your posts about being Australian, I wanna call you on the phone and hear your accent. I love Aussie accents. I wanna talk like you.  Sad

Lol - that's so weird - I love talking to Saraswati on the phone because of her Scottish accent.  I'm pretty occa having grown up in Queensland.  Wink

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
daniyagami
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: 2008 October 14, 14:28:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dani prob doesn't even know who this is under this name.
No, I really can´t guess. Thank you, tahkisis for all nice comments Smiley

Let's just say that they made do without women.
Uh, this is hot. Saylor guys doing it.

'Bloody hell!', yep.  'Bugger' on occasion.  'Wanker', all the time
My friend who is australian is a writer. She uses "blokes" all the time and amuses me Smiley
I love the "bloody" expression, I´ve seen english people using it. Amuses me too.

Yeah "bloke" goes in the unused bin along with "coppah" and "fair dinkum", "You beauty", "sheila" and "mongrel".
"Mongrel" is awesome. I love the sound.

Hugging? In a Pirate Forum? Stop that! Take your public display of affection to private messages.
Sorry, I was seduced by the cute white... sea dog? Is called "foca" in portuguese.
« Last Edit: 2008 October 14, 15:16:30 by daniyagami » Logged

Corsair: a pirate who be makin' his berth in the Med-...Medi-...that sea 'tween Spain and Africa, aye!
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2008 October 14, 14:30:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Every time I read one of your posts about being Australian, I wanna call you on the phone and hear your accent. I love Aussie accents. I wanna talk like you.  Sad

Lol - that's so weird - I love talking to Saraswati on the phone because of her Scottish accent.  I'm pretty occa having grown up in Queensland.  Wink

We should all get on teamspeak/ventrilo/skype and chat.  I know you guys want to hear my Texan twang.  Wink

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: 2008 October 14, 14:55:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

'Bloody hell!', yep.  'Bugger' on occasion.  'Wanker', all the time
My friend who is australian is a writer. She uses "blokes" all the time and amuses me Smiley
I love the "bloody" expression, I´ve seen english people using it. Amuses me too.

She might use it in text to distinguish herself as Australian - although the older generation tends to use it far more than us. 

We should all get on teamspeak/ventrilo/skype and chat.  I know you guys want to hear my Texan twang.  Wink

You're Texan? Srsly?  That goes against everything I ever thought about you missangelica - I always imagined you having been from Boston - don't ask me why. Tongue

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: 2008 October 14, 15:24:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same here.  I have a weird accent - I sort of camelean speech patterns and a tiny bit gets stuck.  I've lived in Georgia forever now, but spent my early childhood living in Europe, in West Germany.  Most of my TV watching has been british programs, with a bit of australian comedy thrown in... And my writing is a liberal mix of american and british spelling, which has gotten me in a few classes, like when my music teacher turned out to have a british ex.  Oops.  Because you write a lot of papers for college music classes [ was music history ]

So, I use Bloody alot because I do try to avoid using overt swears, especially around other people's kids.  Mine could care, their swears consist of hssst and phitttt.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Metatwaddle
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2008 October 14, 18:48:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have any of you ever lived for a long time in another country? I'm wondering how much slang habits change if you live somewhere else. I have a professor who's Australian, and he curses up a storm when he's speaking freely (i.e. one-on-one, not in lectures, obviously) but it's almost all American or at least generic English-language curses. I've heard him say "bloody" once, and that's it. (He also calls his friends "mates".) The rest of his curses are pretty normal for Americans: he calls people "assholes" if they're "full of shit", he wonders "what the fuck" people are thinking, and he calls people on their "bullshit" (or "bullcrap"). Do slang habits change to fit the country you're in?

"That's such a nasty fucking word. I'm so damn glad it was censored! It would have shat me to have seen such a cocksucking term as 'prick!'" --Deelink
Astonished lemons
Banned!

OHAI

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2008 October 14, 18:55:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You guys ever wonder what a certain accent sounds like to another accent?

Like, the scottish accent sounds like a harsher version of the irish accent, but to another harsh accent (like russian maybe) does it sound harsh, or does it sound normal in tone?

Do people with spainish accents think the canadian accent sounds slow (like americans tend to)?
Do german accents think that english accents sound flat, and if so, do they think the american accent is even flatter than it is?

My head hurts now.
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2008 October 14, 19:04:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've an American, and I've never thought the Canadian accent is slow, or even much of an accent. I think certain Southern accents, the more "refined" Virginian and Georgian ones, sound pretty slow. I've never thought of Russian or Scottish accents as harsh, either. German accents, and the German language itself do sound extremely harsh to me.

I'm from Michigan, so I just sound like an American news anchor who extends her "a"s sometimes Tongue.

raebchen
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2008 October 14, 19:06:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You guys ever wonder what a certain accent sounds like to another accent?

Like, the scottish accent sounds like a harsher version of the irish accent, but to another harsh accent (like russian maybe) does it sound harsh, or does it sound normal in tone?

Do people with spainish accents think the canadian accent sounds slow (like americans tend to)?
Do german accents think that english accents sound flat, and if so, do they think the american accent is even flatter than it is?

My head hurts now.

Coming out of my lurking stage - so don't hit me Smiley

Anyway, I am a German living in America (Michigan) for six years now. It's actually funny for me when I hear other Germans speak English as it sounds very harsh even to me. Funny thing is I don't think I have an accent anymore but most people still hear it thinking I am anything from British to Canadian or Australian.

And by the way, the English accent doesn't sound flat to me. My family always jokes that Americans talk like they have a hot potato in their mouths though!

Official member of the "army of disillusioned miscreants" and proud of it! *waves at Thomass*
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2008 October 14, 19:23:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're Texan? Srsly?  That goes against everything I ever thought about you missangelica - I always imagined you having been from Boston - don't ask me why. Tongue

Yep, born and bred Texan.  I wasn't raised in what I consider the traditional Texan home though.  My father was raised in Michigan (and his father was Pennsylvanian) and my mother, although she was born in Texas, lived in California for the first 12 years of her life.  She claims it didn't affect her but I think she's the most progressive thinker in her family.  She really instilled the love of reading books and learning in me.

I live in surburbia and watch too much tv so my accent is pretty light.  You can especially hear it though when I whine or say certain words. 

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
dietofworms
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 2008 October 14, 19:42:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Soggy, I never would have pegged you for an American.  For some reason I assumed you were Norwegian.  Where did I get that from? Huh

The only accented English I really struggle with is Scots.  It sounds as if it's missing most of its consonants.

I'm from north of Boston, and if you want to hear a really ugly accent, you can phone me. Cheesy

"The guilt of someone within TSR is as clear as a fiberoptic endoscope in the bowels. "
--Pescado
Druid
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2008 October 14, 19:50:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm from Michigan, so I just sound like an American news anchor who extends her "a"s sometimes Tongue.

http://www.michigannative.com/ma_home.shtml  <--the "michigan accent" guide... it's funny.

I'm a michigander as well.

The only accented English I really struggle with is Scots.  It sounds as if it's missing most of its consonants.
I do ok with Scots... I had an old bf who was a brit, and he had some welsh family. Took me years to understand them. @_@ There's nothing wrong with it, I just had never heard a welsh accent before.... totally new and confusing for me lol. I think they just thought I was a stupid American...
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2008 October 14, 20:35:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meijer! I miss Meijer. Not as much as I miss the lakes or other natural stuff, but so many times I've wanted to go grocery shopping or buy a bike or a goldfish at 2 AM, and what can I do? Just sit home and cry that I'm stuck in the penis of America, that's what.

Just about everyone down here is from Michigan, though, it seems, so there's no danger of my losing my accent. I refuse to say my ending "t"s!

I've never heard "davenport" for couch though. And it's couch, not sofa. Also pop, not soda.

Immortelle
ARR!

Thou damned and luxurious mountain goat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: 2008 October 14, 22:26:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My husband's from Cumbria, which lies sort of in between Scotland and Ireland, so he sounds a lot of his words in a similar way.  (English accents are sooo varied.  From what my husband has been teaching me, you can pick where an Englishperson comes from from their accent.  We always hang it on him about his accent, (is, the oo in cook sounds more like the oo in mood.  And the 'u' sounds are more like 'oo' in cook than an 'uh' sound, so butter and pub, sounds like 'booter' and 'poob'.  He always insists that he is speaking proper English.

My Sims 3 blog --> http://transimvaniaremixed.blogspot.com (no sparklies, I promise!)
calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: 2008 October 14, 23:15:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, born and bred Texan.  I wasn't raised in what I consider the traditional Texan home though. 

The real question is do you have a cowboy hat? Tongue

I'm from north of Boston, and if you want to hear a really ugly accent, you can phone me. Cheesy

Actually, of all the USian accents, I like the Boston one the most. Grin

My husband's from Cumbria, which lies sort of in between Scotland and Ireland, so he sounds a lot of his words in a similar way. 

Sexy - you lucky thing. Cheesy

Visit Calalilysims

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: