PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 20:53:07

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  why do people hate paysites? COMPLETELY DERAILED NOW
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: why do people hate paysites? COMPLETELY DERAILED NOW  (Read 54747 times)
Ghanima Atreides
ARR!

View Profile WWW
why do people hate paysites? COMPLETELY DERAILED NOW
« Reply #75 on: 2006 December 19, 17:22:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

lol surleyfunke and wicked one - thanks  :lol:

As for the Sims2Sisters comparison - my bad. It had Sims2Sisters' name in the item description.

And by the way, I came across no less than 2 other hairs VERY similar to exnem's...

Anatidaephobia - the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you
wicked_one
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2006 December 19, 17:46:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

oh i wasn't nitpicking that they were mislabeled
your comparison pics are awesome and i'm sure they have inspired alot of people to learn enough about meshing to be able to do as much as these paysite owners do, except it will be better because these people will actually test the crap in their game and make sure it works right before releasing it *for free* lol
that should put the paysites out of business pretty quickly....they (peggy/exnem/etc) wouldnt have any unique content to offer except for clothing (and even that is easily copied and most are photoskins anyways so many creators end up doing the same outfits accidentally)
PirateBooty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: 2006 December 19, 17:48:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ghanima Atreides"

And by the way, I came across no less than 2 other hairs VERY similar to exnem's...

Probably because they're all ripping off the same poser mesh

url=http://www.scumbox.co.uk/urapirate.swf]A pirate's life for me![/url]
exnemsims exnemsims
Shark*Tooth*Hester
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2006 December 19, 18:18:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is really something to watch now, it's like a tiny little revolution. To be honest, I knew about the poser rips, but I never knew the extent. It looks like all the major pay sites are doing it or have done it for their hair or their furnishings.

Pointing out the copies to the actual creator of the original meshes is an interesting idea. Some of those people can get as hysterical about their stuff as people with their sims stuff. So there would definitely be some fires lit under some collective asses about it. But I'm wondering if that isn't a little like shooting a rabbit with a cannon at this point.
Surelyfunke
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2006 December 19, 18:28:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hehehe. Nouk is now offering to work on converting Poser meshes purchased for the Sims 2 community. GO NOUK!  Cool

ETA: I would GLADLY donate to such a project. Just tell me where to do it.
Marhis
ARR!

This Space For Rent

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2006 December 19, 18:46:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sign me in, both the Nouk offer and the mesh site idea.
No skills to offer, I'm afraid, but I can affod to spare some bucks on it for sure.

THE FUTURE OF THIS SIGNATURE IS BRIGHT
Ghanima Atreides
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: 2006 December 19, 18:50:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm broke, but I will definitely try and learn to convert them Cheesy

One thing though: is this 100% legal to do? I know some of those poser creators state in their TOS that their items may not be redistributed, freely or otherwise. Does it apply to Sims2 conversions? Putting illegal paysites out of business by using their own sources sounds brilliant to me, but if the rightful creator doesn't allow it... :?

BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2006 December 19, 18:52:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That Exnem hair I fixed is crap, and I wasn't going to try to fix the whole thing, only the one thing that bugged me the most - the neck gap.  One of the layers (alpha 3? I dunno what it's called) was totally messed.

As for the Poser meshes, I don't think this is going to shut down the paysites but it may hurt a couple of them and that's always good.

As far as Exnem supporting his family by Simming, meh.  Get a real goddamned job doing computer shit if he thinks he's so good, not trying to make a profit on an illegal product.  I don't care if someone is trying to support their entire extended family, I am not donating to anyone for that reason.
idtaminger
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2006 December 19, 19:02:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I searched high and low and could not manage to find it on either site. Do you think I could have a link to the fixed mesh?
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2006 December 19, 19:22:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the very best thing about that thread so far is it's in a very prominent place and will really make people think.

I hope the poser guys don't expect a royalty for each download of the finished mesh though.  What is poser anyway?

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Doursim
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: 2006 December 19, 19:28:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

3d modeling software.  Like milkshape, 3ds studio max, etc.

url=http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/peggy]peggy[/url]  Peggy sims
rickets
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2006 December 19, 19:38:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the kind words about my textures being swiped.  I'm bitter enough to be hanging out with you guys but otherwise I'm not that traumatized.  All my stuff was removed from MTS2 that time around.  Other textures have shown up but whatever -- I can always make more as opposed to the people who just steal things.

Poser models have limited usage in Poser for anything other than a pretty picture.  You can move the models in and out of other 3D programs and they show up in a lot of computer game designs.

I'll offer up my understanding of what you can do to a Poser mesh for those that asked.  DAZ3D which makes the most well known of all the Poser models allows you to make derivative models but for it to be a legal thing you have to still need the original DAZ model as your base.  Here's what they say at http://www.daz3d.com

"One of the simplest ways to create a derivative model is to convert a DAZ model (typically OBJ format) to another non-Poser format, and distribute that. Beyond this, a DAZ model may be altered by adding and/or removing geometry in order to create a derivative work. Even more difficult for most users to recognize, but still detectable to trained modelers, are methods involving tools that can create a derivative mesh without transferring the polygonal layout of the original. (Many of these methods can result in a mesh which seems legitimate, often with no vertices coincidental with the original. These types of tools/methods may include: NURBS/poly conversions, subdivision/smoothing or triangulation operations, de-resing, shrink-wrapping/fitting and randomization operations.) The distribution of models created using any of the above examples is strictly prohibited, and none of these methods will result in a mesh that is not still subject to DAZ's copyright."

Most individual Poser artist have pretty much the same rules and regulations as DAZ3D.

And if you're really curious you might want to check out the rule book at:
http://poserpros.daz3d.com/wiki/PublicWiki/CopyrightsAndEthics
confidentials
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2006 December 19, 19:49:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

WOW. :shock: Viva La Revolution...

I always miss the good stuff!  I'm never leaving the computer again.  :roll:
redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2006 December 19, 19:51:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So sorry to be dense, but I'm still not clear.

What people are proposing is to purchase meshes, alter them for usage in sims 2 and give them away for free with full credit to the original mesh creator. Is that allowable?
Ghanima Atreides
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: 2006 December 19, 19:53:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wondered the same thing but here's how it's gonna be. It's still an *innitiative* We're asking the poser creators' permission first. The formal request to host the shit on MTS was made already rofl.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: