PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 21:14:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  TSR ATTACKS! WE CAN HAZ NEW LEGAL THREAT!
0 Members and 3 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TSR ATTACKS! WE CAN HAZ NEW LEGAL THREAT!  (Read 80985 times)
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
Re: TSR ATTACKS! WE CAN HAZ NEW LEGAL THREAT!
« Reply #195 on: 2008 September 01, 22:57:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That purports to bring fairness by making a retail sales tax - but with the rise of China and India, and the possibilities of offshore holders of USian companies, that may not be such a good idea into the future.  Mainly because a large amount of revenue would be going overseas, and not in fact be spent in the US.  It also would mean wiping out tariffs - adding the possibility that a lot of American industries would die in the arse.

That would depend.  Part of the fair tax" replaces federal income taxes including personal, estate, gift, capital gains, alternative minimum, Social Security, Medicare, self-employment, and corporate taxes." So, it will become cheaper to actually have businesses in this country instead of shuffling them off overseas.  Considering that many corporations don't actually pay some of the federal taxes, they just pass the money spent along to the consumer, prices for American goods will go down, not up, even with the embedded tax.  The government will make the same amount of money to fund programs, and we will have cheaper or at least the same price for goods.  Additionally, since you get your entire paycheck, plus a prebate based upon basic living expenses every month, hopefully people won't need welfare programs at the same rate they do now. 

http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about_faq_answers#2

Trade is a completely separate issue.  And the current tax system doesn't address trade problems anyway. 

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: 2008 September 01, 23:26:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem is, it won't work that way - case in point - when Katrina hit, the gas/oil companies said they had to raise their prices because of the lack of New Orleans as a shipping hub [ which is odd, don't remember Coffee going up ], yet for that SAME PERIOD, they had the highest profit margins EVER.

Make it cheaper for the companies and they will just keep the prices up, and pocket the change, unless another companys comes along selling for less.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: 2008 September 01, 23:36:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Make it cheaper for the companies and they will just keep the prices up, and pocket the change, unless another companys comes along selling for less.

Bolding is mine.  That is the crux. 

kenmtl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 2008 September 02, 00:24:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well that's basically the principle of the American Corporation. It's a model that is designed to place the emphasis on profit and shareholder gain, often to exclusion of all other considerations. CEO's are practically obliged by American Law to do whatever is necessary to make a profit even to the detriment of community interests if the two come into conflict. If you look at the history of the Corporation from it's inception and the principles it was founded on to what it has become, you understand why it doesn't concern itself with any citizens need that is not a shareholder. They exist to make a profit, they are obliged to do that under the law, they do not exist for the betterment of society as a whole. If that happens it's collateral. So in the end, any attempt to make it easier for them to do business is only going to increase their profit margin and put more money in the pockets of the people who hold shares because American Corporate governance law dictate that.

I'm in ur forums propagating ur discussions
Like free shit? Me too. Get it here!
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: 2008 September 02, 00:47:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well that's basically the principle of the American Corporation. It's a model that is designed to place the emphasis on profit and shareholder gain, often to exclusion of all other considerations. CEO's are practically obliged by American Law to do whatever is necessary to make a profit even to the detriment of community interests if the two come into conflict. If you look at the history of the Corporation from it's inception and the principles it was founded on to what it has become, you understand why it doesn't concern itself with any citizens need that is not a shareholder. They exist to make a profit, they are obliged to do that under the law, they do not exist for the betterment of society as a whole. If that happens it's collateral. So in the end, any attempt to make it easier for them to do business is only going to increase their profit margin and put more money in the pockets of the people who hold shares because American Corporate governance law dictate that.

All of that is exactly correct.  The debate comes in when people want corporations to exist for the betterment of society (whatever that means, and would be different depending on whom you ask).  I don't.  It is not their job to do that.  I want corporations to make the best goods/services for the cheapest prices and in the most efficient way possible.  Are there problems with this system? Yes.  Enron comes to mind, for one thing.  The housing/mortage fiasco is another.  Wall Street fucked that one up.  The problem is that there are NO real consequences to things like Enron or the mortage issue.  There should be.  CEO's who get caught still get these huge severance packages to resign.  That should be stopped and the money given back to shareholders or whatever.

/is impressed with Jake right now.

calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: 2008 September 02, 07:17:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That would depend.  Part of the fair tax" replaces federal income taxes including personal, estate, gift, capital gains, alternative minimum, Social Security, Medicare, self-employment, and corporate taxes." So, it will become cheaper to actually have businesses in this country instead of shuffling them off overseas. 

It's not going to come down to the bargain basement prices that China and India offer - unless you slash the living standards of Americans.  No matter how cheap the taxation system makes things, China and India still win out on those fronts. So it won't in fact redress the amount of stuff produced in foreign countries (which is what tariffs do).

Considering that many corporations don't actually pay some of the federal taxes, they just pass the money spent along to the consumer, prices for American goods will go down, not up, even with the embedded tax. 

They removed a 22% sales tax on some items here and replaced it with a flat tax of 10% on everything (barring essentials) and that was heralded as somehow going to bring prices down.  But because the market is allowed freedom, they didn't actually ever come down in price.  The supermarkets absorbed that profit, and people's prices went up by 10%.

The government will make the same amount of money to fund programs, and we will have cheaper or at least the same price for goods.  Additionally, since you get your entire paycheck, plus a prebate based upon basic living expenses every month, hopefully people won't need welfare programs at the same rate they do now. 

Not necessarily - those on middle class incomes will have their quality of life go up substantially, but those on minimum wage will be in just less dire straits.  They may still require welfare services, particularly with all the extra money spent sending inflation through the roof.

Trade is a completely separate issue.  And the current tax system doesn't address trade problems anyway. 

Tariffs are taxes levelled by the government - so they do apply.  If they are wiped out under the fair tax system, it will be even cheaper to buy Chinese and Indian stuff than it is to buy American.

That's the problem with the market - on essential items, there is no reason to be as competitive as possible - everyone needs them anyway.  Libertarians dream of a market that responds and undercuts itself - and I've yet to see this have an effect on companies.  Most are content (without government intervention) to fix the prices of things - after all - you're going to buy them anyway.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: 2008 September 02, 15:34:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good debate! I love a reasonable discussion with people I respect. I gotta run to work, but I wanted to address a couple of these points.  I am by no means a Fair Tax expert, though.  Please keep that in mind.  I might make mistakes that DO NOT represent what the Fair Tax says, only my understanding.  Some of my responses will be out of order as the nature of the conversation dictates. 

It's not going to come down to the bargain basement prices that China and India offer - unless you slash the living standards of Americans.  No matter how cheap the taxation system makes things, China and India still win out on those fronts. So it won't in fact redress the amount of stuff produced in foreign countries (which is what tariffs do).

"Because the FairTax is automatically border adjustable, the 17 percent competitive advantage, on average, of foreign producers is eliminated, immediately boosting U.S. competitiveness overseas. American companies doing business internationally are able to sell their goods at lower prices but at similar margins, and this brings jobs to America.

In addition, U.S. companies with investments or plants abroad bring home overseas profits without the penalty of paying income taxes, thus resulting in more U.S. capital investment.

And at last, imports and domestic production are on a level playing field. Exported goods are not subject to the FairTax, since they are not consumed in the U.S.; but imported goods sold in the U.S. are subject to the FairTax because these products are consumed domestically."

This is from FairTax.org.  I have read the original book but not the follow-up one, which I should in order to respond intelligently.  While I see your point with cheaper labor and no one can beat .50 cents an hour or whatever stupid wage some countries pay, the fact that exported good are not subject to the Fair Tax, while imported goods are will help even things out. 

They removed a 22% sales tax on some items here and replaced it with a flat tax of 10% on everything (barring essentials) and that was heralded as somehow going to bring prices down.  But because the market is allowed freedom, they didn't actually ever come down in price.  The supermarkets absorbed that profit, and people's prices went up by 10%.

The flat tax and the fair tax are not the same thing.  Did you also remove any kind of government income tax? Did they also remove corporate taxes, social security taxes, gift taxes, etc?    I don't know how the Australian tax system is set up. 

Not necessarily - those on middle class incomes will have their quality of life go up substantially, but those on minimum wage will be in just less dire straits.  They may still require welfare services, particularly with all the extra money spent sending inflation through the roof.

I didn't say that welfare programs would be eliminated, just that perhaps less people would need them or need them for less time.  The Fair Tax is not supposed to get rid of welfare, just provide a different way of funding welfare and other government programs that eliminates the need for the IRS (a bunch of money will be saved per year just getting rid of that dinosaur).  The fair tax only taxes on what you spend, not on what you earn. In fact, according to this blog, the poor come out much better under the Fair Tax system than the current American tax system:

http://fairtaxblog.blogspot.com/

Tariffs are taxes levelled by the government - so they do apply.  If they are wiped out under the fair tax system, it will be even cheaper to buy Chinese and Indian stuff than it is to buy American.

I know what tariffs are.  I don't think they are wiped out by the Fair Tax, but see my response above.  Imported goods will be taxed, exported goods will not.

It is cheaper to buy Chinese stuff now, including all the lead and formaldehyde they include in their products. 

That's the problem with the market - on essential items, there is no reason to be as competitive as possible - everyone needs them anyway.  Libertarians dream of a market that responds and undercuts itself - and I've yet to see this have an effect on companies.  Most are content (without government intervention) to fix the prices of things - after all - you're going to buy them anyway.

On essential items, you won't be taxed.  There is a monthly prebate issued to every person with a SS number to cover those expenses, based upon the "Department of Health & Human Services’ poverty level guideline multiplied by the tax rate". For example, as a single person, I would get a $199 prebate check each month in addition to keeping my entire paycheck.  A couple with two children would get a $537 dollar prebate check every month.

Additionally, business to business purchases for production of goods and services are also not taxed, driving the cost of production down further.  I cannot imagine why this would not impact the final price of new goods.  Used good are not taxed at all! The tax is paid once on new goods and nothing on used goods.  So, if I can buy something used with no tax those that make new goods would want to be competitive with that certainly.

Markets will undercut themselves if left alone.  Part, and not all,  of what keeps prices high are the stupid taxes the government imposes on businesses (that the government wastes horribly, but that is another topic) that they, in turn, pass along to the consumer. 

calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: 2008 September 02, 17:30:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good debate! I love a reasonable discussion with people I respect. I gotta run to work, but I wanted to address a couple of these points. 

Me too - and I'll wait for ya.  Cheesy

"Because the FairTax is automatically border adjustable, the 17 percent competitive advantage, on average, of foreign producers is eliminated, immediately boosting U.S. competitiveness overseas.

Well the problem becomes when you enter into foreign markets - you have a free trade agreement with Australia (which makes our situation better, moreso than yours, as the US has already broken into the Aussie market, but Aussie products found the tariffs to stifle their trade), but according to this website you don't have free trade agreements with anyone in Europe.  That means that in order to protect their own industries, they have tariffs.  That therefore means that whatever percentage they place on foreign imports removes any advantage that you have.  If they find that they're being less competitive, they'll just raise the tariffs on the US imports - so there will be no way for foreign imports to kill off their industry.

In addition, U.S. companies with investments or plants abroad bring home overseas profits without the penalty of paying income taxes, thus resulting in more U.S. capital investment.

The changed taxation system in the US would not oblige other countries to remove their taxes - there would be no way possible to say that if Coca cola Amatol resides largely in the US, they don't need to pay Australian taxes and worker entitlements. So I don't see how that is going to make "large profits to bring home".

While I see your point with cheaper labor and no one can beat .50 cents an hour or whatever stupid wage some countries pay, the fact that exported good are not subject to the Fair Tax, while imported goods are will help even things out. 

Ah - but that's the issue you see - tariffs make the prices comparable.  As I've found that the Fair Tax system is going to keep tariffs, that just means a whole chunk of bureaucracy for the taxation system, and doesn't really cut the amount of bureaucracy.

The flat tax and the fair tax are not the same thing.  Did you also remove any kind of government income tax? Did they also remove corporate taxes, social security taxes, gift taxes, etc?    I don't know how the Australian tax system is set up. 

The point was not about how similar the taxes are, but rather that the market does not pass on these savings (and with no business tax on profit and no repercussions why should they) regardless of the good intentions of the government.  They took away the 22% tax on many items, and replaced that tax with a 10% tax, and the price didn't go down.  That shows that the market doesn't respond automatically - it works to make profits and keep those profits, rather than pass on savings. 

I didn't say that welfare programs would be eliminated, just that perhaps less people would need them or need them for less time. 

No, but I don't think it will make much of a difference.  Inflation at all this increased spending (because more money means more spending) will raise the cost of living.

The fair tax only taxes on what you spend, not on what you earn. In fact, according to this blog, the poor come out much better under the Fair Tax system than the current American tax system

Well, I entered my own meager details into the Fair Tax calculator - based on what I earn and pay in taxes - I came out with $10,000 more than I ever actually earn - meaning that the federal government would be giving me $10,000 and I would be paying no taxes.

I know what tariffs are.  I don't think they are wiped out by the Fair Tax, but see my response above.  Imported goods will be taxed, exported goods will not.

It is cheaper to buy Chinese stuff now, including all the lead and formaldehyde they include in their products. 

Well then, they're not wiping out all taxes and putting up a fair tax - they're replacing one system of taxation for another.  That doesn't mean less bureaucracy and more savings - it means "here comes the new boss, same as the old boss". I looked around, and the Fair Tax system does keep tariffs, so some bureaucracy will be required for that, but one of the disturbing things is the increased border tariffs - here it describes how anything you bring into the country will now require taxation.  So that increases a whole lot of bureaucracy for those who go to different countries (boy if you think your airport trip takes a long time now, wait until you get fair tax).

Agreed about the Chinese stuff.  Cheesy But that doesn't mean no one will buy it.

On essential items, you won't be taxed. 

But that doesn't mean prices will be cut - the market doesn't respond like that.

Additionally, business to business purchases for production of goods and services are also not taxed, driving the cost of production down further.

That means a whole new set of bureaucracies for giving back their spending - so the IRS instead of focusing on employer garnished wages will be focusing on the thousands of business transactions needing refunds.

I cannot imagine why this would not impact the final price of new goods.  Used good are not taxed at all! The tax is paid once on new goods and nothing on used goods.  So, if I can buy something used with no tax those that make new goods would want to be competitive with that certainly.

Used goods are already cheaper than new goods - this does not make new goods more competitive.  And the Fair Tax website glossary states that it is only considered "used" once Fair Tax has been paid on an item - meaning that when the changeover happens, used goods will go up by the FairTax percentage, and this item will then need a paper trail to ensure that the Fair Tax has been paid on it.  Sounds like more bureaucracy to me.

Furthermore, from the FAQ - No state is required to repeal its income tax or piggyback its sales tax on the federal tax. Then there will be two taxes on sales - rather than one.

Markets will undercut themselves if left alone.  Part, and not all,  of what keeps prices high are the stupid taxes the government imposes on businesses (that the government wastes horribly, but that is another topic) that they, in turn, pass along to the consumer. 

Ah, the heart of the libertarian belief - that the market, if left alone, will perform like a little lamb.  Cheesy I've heard that claim many many times - and have yet to see it actually happen.  The market over time increases its ferocity and need for input.  It is designed to profit, with no other concerns.  In a consumerist society where there is no alternative (you can't grow your own corn etc. if you expect to have a comparable lifestyle with your neighbour) then consuming is what you do.  Why would they cut their prices for you, when they know you have no alternative? Answer is that they don't.

Case en pointe:

Here, banks were deregulated in the 1990s - with the promise that the market would undercut itself.  No dice.  Most people now pay monthly fees on bank accounts (unheard of when we had a government supported bank), and you're hard pressed to find a bank that doesn't charge a fee - in fact, I have found none.  Banks check out what other banks are doing and don't put their prices down, or stay account keeping fee free - they match with their competitors, and soon you have no choice. Corporate spies make sure that they know what the competitor is doing, and don't try to do much if they already have a market.

Not to mention inflation (surely destined to go up with all this increased spending) will drive those prices sky high.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: 2008 September 02, 20:22:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I encourage any Americans to check it out, do a little research (especially the Supreme Court cases supporting it), and decide if you think it's legit or not.

http://www.barefootsworld.net/index.html

If it's not too off topic  Grin, I would appreciate it if those who check it out comment about it (Or can I start a thread about this here?).

Probably wouldn't be a better idea to start a thread - we can just segue into other topics on Pescadoesque forums.

As to the actual subject, the research (small amount in a short time) suggests that the Supreme Court has previously rejected these arguments. If an attempt is made to claim sovereign citizenship, the person often ends up with a large tax bill and a large law bill related to court costs. This is demonstrated here , here, here and here with court documents.

Visit Calalilysims

SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: 2008 September 02, 20:36:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only real way to get back to the original constitution is for one of several things to happen...

1> Actually have people elected who aren't being put there by the corporations, and who actually care about the people.
2> Another Revolution
3> Something else entirely.

The point is, do we really want it back?  Yes, in some ways it was a pretty solid document - and it would be good to feel like the Bill of Rights was actually enforced.

On the other hand, according to the constitution, only landowners could vote, only men could vote, even those who could vote didn't actually have a say in who was persident....Heck, there was a reason they put in the provisos for amendments.  Some were bad, but for the most part, they've been pretty solid too.

And while I think the tax system is fubared, its not specifically because of incometax - rather its because the income tax is not proportional across the classes.

www.thestormradio.com
missnaughty
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 2008 September 02, 23:27:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Grin  OMG that too funny to read, I mean they dont have a leg to stand on, EA did not say anything like that, and they certainly never said they supported TSR in any way.
Ry
ARR!

Paden's Baked Tater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: 2008 September 02, 23:47:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescadoesque

Perfect name for a Sims Strip Joint.  Wink

I'm enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Knowledge is limited.
Imagination encircles the world.
~Einstein
kenmtl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 2008 September 02, 23:48:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: calalily
Quote from: tomato

You guys are hot!

*and yes I mean that in the sexy time way*

« Last Edit: 2008 September 02, 23:58:02 by kenmtl » Logged

I'm in ur forums propagating ur discussions
Like free shit? Me too. Get it here!
calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: 2008 September 03, 06:05:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescadoesque

Perfect name for a Sims Strip Joint.  Wink

Ew. Pescado and strip joint should not be in the same sentence - he's like my Dad.  Shocked

You guys are hot!

*and yes I mean that in the sexy time way*

Feeling is mutual funnyman.  Kiss

Visit Calalilysims

SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: 2008 September 03, 15:38:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I bet my dad went to strip joints - he was a dirty old man, and one of the nicest people ever to walk the earth.

I try to be like him Smiley

www.thestormradio.com
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: