PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 21:24:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  TSR ATTACKS! WE CAN HAZ NEW LEGAL THREAT!
0 Members and 3 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TSR ATTACKS! WE CAN HAZ NEW LEGAL THREAT!  (Read 80987 times)
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
Re: TSR ATTACKS! WE CAN HAZ NEW LEGAL THREAT!
« Reply #135 on: 2008 August 28, 01:01:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Of course, now I realize that the EULA's did not change for the actual homecrafter/bodyshop, which you would think would end the argument.  However, I would like to point out that while I might not be a supergenius, I am not stupid either and I was fooled by this for a time.  Just saying.

Well the Maxoids thought it was going to change - and they did actually change the EULA on the custom content manager. We were all waiting with baited breath to see what the EULA would say - so I don't think it's a testimony to anyone's intelligence, just to their psychic abilities. Tongue You, madam, are just not psychic.  Cheesy

Overall though, I wasn't particularly worried, though as you can't retroactively modify an EULA - so even if it did change for Freetime, it doesn't alter what you agreed to with the base game.  So if it were changed, you could argue that the FT based content was allowed for sale, but base stuff still wouldn't be.  As creators tend to like a widespread appeal to their content, they would still try to make it base game - and thus the amount of FT based content would be small.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Pooki
ARR!

Still Alive!

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2008 August 28, 05:00:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And there was much rejoicing. ( and paysite butthurt)

Snarky's mine despite obvious complications.
alia
ARR!

Ms. Smartypants

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2008 August 28, 07:02:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you sure TSR doesnt pay taxes? Cos it is owned by a registered company Ibibi AB (Dunno what Ibibi means..? Isaacson Bonham In Bed with.. oh.. fail)
Isaacson Bonham In Bed Intimately?  Wink

Ibibi AB
Generatorhallen
826 30 Söderhamn
Sweden

Someone (I think it was here on PMBD) said that AB is the Swedish equivalent of Inc, or Ltd or summin like that. So maybe they do pay some tax??

Yep, depending on the type of the company, AB stands either for Ltd or Inc, so if they have been able to register TSR as a company I'm betting they actually do pay taxes. What a pity we can't bust Thomass for tax evasion.  Undecided

But don't they teach english in swedish schools. I mean thought most countries of the EU teach it as a part of multiculturalism.

Yeah. Since EU doesn't have one common language, all kids must learn at least one foreign language at school, in order to be able to communicate with other citizens of EU. Usually the language they are taught is English, but German and French are very popular as well.

Besides, Swedes should be able to understand something written in English, and usually if a program is localized for Sweden (=translated into Swedish) the EULA is also translated as well. Thomass and his internet lawyer are just bluffing/deluded/lulzy.

Don't know - my friend from Sweden speaks really good english, but he said he taught himself to play video games, and since he does web design type stuff, uses English more than Swedish.  To the point where he said he sometimes loses his Swedish....

Kids pick up a lot of English from the media, games and internet, but I'm betting your friend learned at least the basics at school. It's much harder to pick up a language (grammar and all) by teaching yourself, but since the kids spend so much time surfing the net, chatting, playing games and watching tv/movies, they usually think they taught themselves. However, if somebody gives you the tools of a language (grammar & basic vocabulary) it's much easier to learn stuff by yourself.

Sorry if I got a little preachy, I teach English for 6s and 12s, and this topic is close to my heart.  Smiley

I'm running a bit of fever, so if I sound self-righteous or do not make any sense, it's probably because my brain is not functioning properly. Sorry about that.  Smiley

SunSun a.k.a. Shannis

I aten't dead yet.
dietofworms
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2008 August 28, 11:50:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OT: Not to generalize or anything  Cheesy, I'm always amazed at the language skills of Europeans, Israelis, etc., compared with north Americans.  It's relatively rare here to be fluent in a second language unless you're an immigrant or second generation.  Our schools tend to teach languages as if it's not important to learn them, because we are after all AMERICANS Roll Eyes.    Alia, you seem to have perfect English.  And a lot of other people here from Europe and elsewhere do, too.

"The guilt of someone within TSR is as clear as a fiberoptic endoscope in the bowels. "
--Pescado
cookiepirate
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2008 August 28, 17:25:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They teach English here in The Netherlands as a required course, then you have the choice of another language - at least when my kids were in school here.  The English they teach is British English, which is different in some ways than American or Australian English.  They tried to make my kids take British English, and my daughter refused to go to class since she already spoke American English as a first language.  She saw no reason to study British English.  Finally, after several months, they let Dutch be her required language and she choose Spanish as the third (she can be pretty stubborn, have NO idea where it comes from).   Wink

My son, on the otherhand, saw it as a easy 10 (no letter grades here), and took the class. Roll Eyes

~ the happy little cookiepirate ~
Cookie Cannibal
MONDAYS - A terrible way to spend 1/7th of your life
alia
ARR!

Ms. Smartypants

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2008 August 28, 17:50:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OT: Not to generalize or anything  Cheesy, I'm always amazed at the language skills of Europeans, Israelis, etc., compared with north Americans.  It's relatively rare here to be fluent in a second language unless you're an immigrant or second generation.  Our schools tend to teach languages as if it's not important to learn them, because we are after all AMERICANS Roll Eyes.    Alia, you seem to have perfect English.  And a lot of other people here from Europe and elsewhere do, too.

Thankies, DoW.   Smiley
I'm supposed to be good at English, since I studied English as my major and trained as a translator/teacher. I'm no genius in languages, though, my German is passable but my Swedish is horrible. French I can understand, but I can't speak it. Grin

The trick is to start learning the language early. Here kids start their first foreign language when they are 9 and the second language when they are 11 or 13. All kids have at least 4-5 language lessons every week*, and by the time they graduate, their language skills are pretty good.

*If you want to, you can take additional languages at 14 and 16.

SunSun a.k.a. Shannis

I aten't dead yet.
Lilyroseisapirate
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2008 August 28, 18:52:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

wish we would do something like that here in America. my grandpa was full blooded German, and what little German I know is from him. He always wanted me to learn it fluently as a 2nd language to keep up our German heritage. In the US, or my state at least, we weren't required to take a foreign language until highschool, and we only had to take 1 year of it. Our choices were very limited as well, Spanish or French. And since we have a higher Spanish pop where I live, I opted for Spanish. We also did not have to take a foreign language if we weren't planning on going to college. Its sad that we don't have a more diverse culture here in the US, I would love that. I do plan on my daughter having language lessons when she is old enough, her choice of course.

quot;In Soviet Russia, you do not steal content, content steals YOU!\" <br />                             -Pescado
dusdeedawn
Pirate

Baldercrap.

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2008 August 28, 20:01:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lilyrose, my oma is also full German, and I only know the same few words that most everyone else knows, it's sad. Truly.
But, I guess it wouldn't be fair to forget how many bastardized versions of English we have here in the states. People speak fairly well here in Alaska, but I know that there are some places in the states that have such a strong accent that it's damn near another language entirely. Just thought I'd throw that in there for consideration.

Shits and giggles? It looks like shit and we giggle. - Paden
Dina D
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: 2008 August 28, 22:11:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, depending on the type of the company, AB stands either for Ltd or Inc, so if they have been able to register TSR as a company I'm betting they actually do pay taxes. What a pity we can't bust Thomass for tax evasion.  Undecided

hmmm.... food for thought... maybe Atwat's hold over Thomas had something more to do with the running of the company....

Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: 2008 August 28, 23:43:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my opinion, it isn't really fair to single out Americans like that as far as linguistic abilities are concerned.  I don't think the lack of fluency in a second language is because of the "we are AMERICANS" attitude.  First off, whether we like it or not, English is the main language for business, economics, science and international affairs.  Therefore, it is not as imperative that native English speakers learn another language as it is that someone learns English as a second language.  That might be wrong, but that is the way it currently stands.  If the main language for business or economics switches to Chinese, I think you will see a shift in focus for English speakers learning a second language.  Second, I don't think this phenomenon is limited to Americans.  I think (and I might be wrong) that the British and the Australians, who are also native English speakers, are also not famous for their wonderful multi-linguistic abilities. 

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: 2008 August 28, 23:56:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think (and I might be wrong) that the British and the Australians, who are also native English speakers, are also not famous for their wonderful multi-linguistic abilities. 

True.  Although there may be less resistance here due to the multicultural agendas - and due to the fact that we have a high proportion of imported people from lotsa countries.  I can swear in many languages, and know a little Spanish, a little Egyptian Arabic and passable French. My kids are learning Italian at primary school, and I'm unsure what they offer them at high school, as it varies from school to school.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
AW
ARR!

aka Armywife

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2008 August 29, 00:17:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since I am late to the party...."GO PES!"

Also, I cannot speak for other countries, however, all three of my children have taken Spanish for numerous years - 2 are fluent.  Now, the two older children are taking Latin and French.  I, however, still speak fluent Southern.  Cheesy

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
gyrobot
Landlubber

Dark Eldar Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2008 August 29, 00:31:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only problem I see is they think just because EA store is doing the whole "selling items for money" scam that now them Mother Scuppers can join in on exploiting the folks. My anwser to them? Take your lawsuit and use it as kindling.
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: 2008 August 29, 00:59:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True.  Although there may be less resistance here due to the multicultural agendas - and due to the fact that we have a high proportion of imported people from lotsa countries.  I can swear in many languages, and know a little Spanish, a little Egyptian Arabic and passable French. My kids are learning Italian at primary school, and I'm unsure what they offer them at high school, as it varies from school to school.

I don't know.  I haven't met with a lot of resistance.  Plus, the US is known as the melting pot.  We also have people from all over.  Maybe the main difference is that we encourage immigrants to become "Americanized"?  I am not sure what the Australian attitude toward that is. 

Schools here do make foreign language classes mandatory.  I took 2-3 years of French in HS and another year in college and another in grad school.  I do think it is best to start that kind of thing as young as you can manage, though.  I can read passable French, but I cannot go from English to French very easily, nor can I speak it well.  That is due to lack of use on my part rather than lack of effort of the educational system.

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
LadyDea
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2008 August 29, 03:15:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure about the USA, but in Canada most schools offer French Immersion as English and French are our official languages. I was in French Immersion through kindergarten to twelfth grade and then I spent one year at a strictly French University (le college Universitaire de Saint Boniface), I am no longer attending because I'm heading towards a career as a Dental Hygienist and I won't learn that at St. B.

While I'm fluent in French, I would have loved to have picked up another language when I was a kid, but I guess I didn't really have means to do so since most of my relatives speak English or French, and I was never very close to my German relatives so I never really had a reason to. If I was confined to only understanding one language, though, I'd be really... sad.

Come visit Sammytopia
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: