PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 18:57:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  TSR ATTACKS! WE CAN HAZ NEW LEGAL THREAT!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TSR ATTACKS! WE CAN HAZ NEW LEGAL THREAT!  (Read 80976 times)
dietofworms
ARR!

View Profile
Re: TSR ATTACKS! WE CAN HAZ NEW LEGAL THREAT!
« Reply #120 on: 2008 August 27, 13:20:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

3. Steve and Thom Ass can't read.  Cry

I are confuzzled about the multitudinous EULA's myself.  Can someone either point me to a link or explain why there seem to be different EULA's or the history of the changes/nonchanges?

But are there really diffferent EULA's?  I think it's been consistent.  (Except for the speshul TSR struggling-reader one). 

"The guilt of someone within TSR is as clear as a fiberoptic endoscope in the bowels. "
--Pescado
ValancySterling
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: 2008 August 27, 14:03:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I are confuzzled about the multitudinous EULA's myself.  Can someone either point me to a link or explain why there seem to be different EULA's or the history of the changes/nonchanges?

But are there really diffferent EULA's?  I think it's been consistent.  (Except for the speshul TSR struggling-reader one). 

One of the free programs EA released, I believe it was its content manager one, had removed the part about commerical websites.  However, every EULA that's come with every other release--game, ep's, stuff packs, bodyshop, etc has included the copy that probits commerical use.

Shameless plug warning:  Please go read my ongoing novel, Dusk Of Innocence here.  I promise, it doesn't suck too bad!
kenmtl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2008 August 27, 15:54:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

AL EULA

Thank you Zazazu. I think even Mr.<no name given> could understand that. If not maybe some collegues from <insert law firm here> could help. Or maybe even a visit to the library at <insert law school here> if there are too many big words. Otherwise it seems pretty clear that Mr.<no name given> is definitely doing some anal ventriloqy.

I'm in ur forums propagating ur discussions
Like free shit? Me too. Get it here!
Steroide
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 2008 August 27, 17:46:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One of the free programs EA released, I believe it was its content manager one, had removed the part about commerical websites.  However, every EULA that's come with every other release--game, ep's, stuff packs, bodyshop, etc has included the copy that probits commerical use.
But you couln't make content with the content manager. Just manage the content you already had on your compute.
So there wasn't really any need for a part about commersial websites... Roll Eyes
ValancySterling
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: 2008 August 27, 19:36:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But you couln't make content with the content manager. Just manage the content you already had on your compute.
So there wasn't really any need for a part about commersial websites... Roll Eyes

Exactly.  However, TSR claims that that version is the "correct" one and proves that EA approves of what they are doing.

Shameless plug warning:  Please go read my ongoing novel, Dusk Of Innocence here.  I promise, it doesn't suck too bad!
Theria
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 2008 August 27, 19:57:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm of the belief that they just need a dumbed down version of it to understand. Those big words and legal terms are confusing to them.
Missbonbon
ARR!

Bonbons... Sally Bonbons

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2008 August 27, 20:07:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

mmmk Everyone I just bought apartment life and the EULA still states NON-COMMERCIAL USE and they have even changed it to where you cligh either yes or no instead of selecting I agree/I disagree.

So the EULA is still the same as it has always been.... and even if it did change for that one expansion pack, everything before, and everything that came out since it changed back is still in violation of the EULA. Not to mention TSR also violates other creators/companies EULA's.

Honestly they would be dumb to sue. Not only could free creators who have proof that their objects were stolen and uploaded to tsr and ignored when they asked to have said content removed, other companies would also be liable to get involved. After all a website as big as TSR not paying taxes and getting as much money a year as they do? Why wouldn't a large company say as Adobe get involved to get their rights paid to them? I mean yeah it would put a smear mark on Adobe, but they would make ass loads of money.

"Why don't you take your sisters barbie and shove it sideways up your rectum.  Then send Ken to rescue her."- Soggyfox
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2008 August 27, 20:36:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FilthyPriest, I sure hope that you can read that into Swedish for them, at least I think they are Swedes...

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
Silver Arrows
ARR!

Disillusioned miscreants FTW!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: 2008 August 27, 20:38:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you sure TSR doesnt pay taxes? Cos it is owned by a registered company Ibibi AB (Dunno what Ibibi means..? Isaacson Bonham In Bed with.. oh.. fail)

Ibibi AB
Generatorhallen
826 30 Söderhamn
Sweden

Someone (I think it was here on PMBD) said that AB is the Swedish equivalent of Inc, or Ltd or summin like that. So maybe they do pay some tax??

Unfortunately, you are now one of the last hosts providing a safe haven for the self confessed pirates to promote the theft and distribution of  Sims 2 artist's intellectual property.
What about the theft of.. Gucci's trademarks?... or perhaps illegally profiting from Nintendo's name/logo/copyrighted designs? Or maybe the Armani name?? You can haz license for all those, yes, 'no name given' Huh

Personally, I would LOVE to see this go to court. The resulting bad publicity for TSR when they lose would be the ultimate win!

So the EULA is still the same as it has always been.... and even if it did change for that one expansion pack, everything before, and everything that came out since it changed back is still in violation of the EULA.
Exactly! Everytime anyone has asked EA about charging for CC, they have always said it isn't allowed (except when I asked them and they said, 'We don't know what our position is, sorry'). No one has yet shown a letter from EA saying 'CC can't be charged for - except by TSR who have a license'.

That letter probably was written by anita after all.

Run into the setting sun — run and suffer. Just don't mess up your hair
Silver Arrows's P&L at me
FilthyPriest
ARR!

Emmm! Rum Doughnuts.......

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2008 August 27, 23:11:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FilthyPriest, I sure hope that you can read that into Swedish for them, at least I think they are Swedes...
But don't they teach english in swedish schools. I mean thought most countries of the EU teach it as a part of multiculturalism.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: 2008 August 27, 23:43:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't know - my friend from Sweden speaks really good english, but he said he taught himself to play video games, and since he does web design type stuff, uses English more than Swedish.  To the point where he said he sometimes loses his Swedish....

On the other hand, had a friend from Quebec and he taught himself english too....didn't learn it in school

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: 2008 August 28, 00:20:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The EULA for Bodyshop hasn't changed as far as I know.  They might have included changes recently, but anything between Pets and basegame is the same as far as I recall (no PC to compare). There was only one bonafide change - the EULA for the custom content installer.  They took out "non-commercial" presumably because as lawyers, they were running over the EULA and realised that they just had a universal EULA - so they changed it to be non-specific in this case, as there is no content produced with it.   

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: 2008 August 28, 00:34:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Cala-that is the brouhaha I remember.  I just couldn't recall the details, but I knew something happened with some EULA somewhere. 

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: 2008 August 28, 00:39:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Cala-that is the brouhaha I remember.  I just couldn't recall the details, but I knew something happened with some EULA somewhere. 

Kiss Well that happened halfway between BV and FT - and TSR heralded the new EULA change as the wave of the future - as did a Maxoid on the BBS who said that it was all going to be changed, and what a surprise they were wrong.  I think what probably happened is the Maxoids asked the legal department to review the EULA - to try to get us and TSR off their backs and stop the debates on the BBS.  They reviewed, but found that it wasn't legally in their interests to sign their rights away to TSR.  So glad I got FT first, and showed off the unchanged EULA. 

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: 2008 August 28, 00:51:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Honestly, at the time, I thought it had changed as well.  Now that my memory has been refreshed, there was some weird wording in that EULA that seemed to indicate that it was going to change.  In fact, Thomas personally PM'd me asking me to support this viewpoint.  At the time I did, because it did seem that way upon first read.  The sentence that got me was:

"Electronic Arts Inc. ("EA") grants you a non- transferable non-exclusive license to download and/or install and use one copy of the software tool and related data (the "Software") for the sole purpose of creating content for use in EA's The Sims™ family of games, in accordance with the terms below.

http://thesims2.ea.com/getcoolstuff/contentmanager_dl.php/

Of course, now I realize that the EULA's did not change for the actual homecrafter/bodyshop, which you would think would end the argument.  However, I would like to point out that while I might not be a supergenius, I am not stupid either and I was fooled by this for a time.  Just saying.

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: