PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 10:24:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Look at what I made and om nom nom it! (Post your creations pt. 2)
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Look at what I made and om nom nom it! (Post your creations pt. 2)  (Read 869742 times)
Moune
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Re: Look at what I made and om nom nom it! (Post your creations pt. 2)
« Reply #2865 on: 2010 April 20, 13:40:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A question about desks.

I prefer desks that have the workspace (with computer and chair) in the middle and doors/drawers at both sides, and I've always found it annoying how Maxis desks have the workspace at one side and drawers or doors at the other. Of course you can use cheats and invisibles to place computers and chairs in the middle of the desk, but while it looks better (IMO) it means that sims can't use the computer.

My question is how do you feel about this and - more specifically - which one of these two desks do you prefer?

The top one works like any ordinary Maxis desk. For the bottom one Sims will either sit with their leg in the righthand cabinet or you must use cheats and invisibles to place chair and computer in the middle - which then means that your Sims can't use it.

Thanks in advance for any input.  Smiley

Edit to downsize pix
« Last Edit: 2010 April 20, 15:35:29 by Moune » Logged

* Formerly known as Peachfish *
Got a hungry sim that needs a nice place to have dinner? HERE is a new dining room for you.
meowbark
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2866 on: 2010 April 20, 15:14:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Moune; I really like the second desk, I haven't seen a lot of desks with that design and love it! Nice work there. 

I'm 12 and what is this
Immortelle
ARR!

Thou damned and luxurious mountain goat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2867 on: 2010 April 20, 16:12:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm actually going to say the first one is better.  Its still different and is likely to be  a lot less problematic in game.

My Sims 3 blog --> http://transimvaniaremixed.blogspot.com (no sparklies, I promise!)
Scurvy Cat
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: 2010 April 20, 17:24:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it against the rules to have both? 

Some people are like Slinkies.  Not much use but they always bring a smile when pushed down the stairs.
Dr House
ARR!

My pills, let me show you them.

View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: 2010 April 20, 17:56:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the second one is useless since it still doesn't "work" as intended and you need a code and the computer won't work anyway.

BTW, why don't you clone a 3 tiles desk? Your problem would be solved. Sure, it would be bigger and all but at least it would work perfectly. Or try to modify the placement in the grid for a 2 tiles desk; which seems like a huge headache Sad

I'm a female, so what?! Duh! Anyway why are you reading this? Go away! Shoo! Oh and here are my pills.
Moune
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2870 on: 2010 April 21, 08:05:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So it's two votes for the 'ordinary' one and one for the 'centered' one - although if we count me in, too, it becomes a draw because I prefer the centered one.

Hmmm ....

Might end up with Scurvy Cat's solution and post both, so that people can choose themselves.

Dr House, there are no 3-tiled desks. I could clone a 3-tiled dining table, but it wouldn't have the functions of a desk - like attracting homework. Modifying a 2-tiled desk so that the computer places in the middle isn't that difficult, but I don't think there's any way to make the chair place outside the grid without cheats. And that's really the problem. If the chair is outside the grid it won't pull in to the desk (or dining table, for that matter). Sims can still sit on it, but it won't work with the desk/table itself.

Got a hungry sim that needs a nice place to have dinner? HERE is a new dining room for you.
Dr House
ARR!

My pills, let me show you them.

View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: 2010 April 21, 13:45:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No 3 tiles desk? Oops. I saw some (CC) so I assumed it was cloned off an EA one. So I guess that the third tile doesn't exist in fact; well I do hope the makers modified the grid to at least avoid sims walking into the sides.

3 tiles dining table isn't an option either due to the homework? Why should it be important? It never worked correctly in sims 2 without mods and in that case you had to put the special object on the desk to locate the 'drop your fucking homework here you dork'! Without these mods homeworks always ended near the bus drop, or when I was lucky on the living floor. I only had one house setup where God knows why the kid always dropped it on his bedroom floor; which was still better than at that fucking bus drop.

I'm a female, so what?! Duh! Anyway why are you reading this? Go away! Shoo! Oh and here are my pills.
Moune
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2872 on: 2010 April 21, 20:12:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, Scurvy Cat won. I'm posting both desks. Maybe I'll add an extra computer slot to the 'centered' desk, so that people can choose if they want their sims to be able to use the computer on the desk or if they just want it to look good.

Dr House, the third tile does exist, but only in dining tables. You clone a 3-tiled dining table and put a 3-tiled desk mesh in it. The problem is it might look like a desk, but it still is a dining table, and sims will want to eat from it rather than place their homework on it.

And that's exactly why you might need some kind of mod to ensure that kids drop their homework in front of the desk. Because too many creators have used dining tables (2-tiled) as bases for desks. They don't attract homework, but sims with plates in their hands. The mod you're talking about was probably cloned from a desk and then modified, which is why it would attract homework. But it would never have been necessary if all creators had cloned their desks from ... desks.  Wink

mustluvcatz
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: 2010 April 22, 00:35:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Doesn't the 3-tile desk at MTS function like a desk should? I can't remember who made it- it's an older mesh and I think "Hudson" is in the name of it. It's in my dl folder and I have used it- but I don't think any of my sims have actually sat at it...and if they have, I don't remember. But I do know that you can put a computer on it.
Scurvy Cat
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: 2010 April 22, 04:50:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I win! I win!  What do I get.

Two cool desks by one of the cooooooolest designers on the web, that's what.

I've gotta get out more.

Some people are like Slinkies.  Not much use but they always bring a smile when pushed down the stairs.
Moune
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2875 on: 2010 April 22, 08:30:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Scurvy Cat,  Cheesy Wow, you make me blush. Thanks.

Mlc, it's entirely possible that there is a working 3-tile desk out there. But you can actually put a computer on all dining tables too, and your sims can use them. The real difference is attracting homework. That can most likely be modified in one of the BHAV's, but I must admit I'm not terribly motivated for starting to mess around with that.

It turns out Sims can use a computer placed in the center of a desk. It just looks a little funny, because the chair still has to be placed to the right in the grid, so they are somewhat displaced and the sim still has one leg in the righthand cabinet. Like this:

But at least it works and looks good when sims aren't actually on the computer, and if people don't like it, they can get the other one.

The set is pretty much done and all I need to do is make some proper screenshots and then upload. Here's some of what's comming with the desks:

Shan-Chan
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: 2010 April 23, 05:37:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh I really like these. Especially the cabinets and the bookcase.

I like the second desk actually. Even if they sim's legs go through it.

Don't let my name fool you. I actually hate anime.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: 2010 April 23, 07:19:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It turns out Sims can use a computer placed in the center of a desk. It just looks a little funny, because the chair still has to be placed to the right in the grid, so they are somewhat displaced and the sim still has one leg in the righthand cabinet. Like this

Don't release knowingly flawed work! ACCEPT NO KEWIAN-BASED SUBSTITUTES!

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Moune
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2878 on: 2010 April 23, 11:55:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, you fix it then. That's what you do, isn't it? Mess around with code and stuff and fix that kind of things.

I don't do that. I make pretty furniture. Which, on the other hand, is something you don't.  Wink
« Last Edit: 2010 April 23, 12:01:03 by Moune » Logged

fway
ARR!

ESTP

View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: 2010 April 24, 12:13:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It turns out Sims can use a computer placed in the center of a desk. It just looks a little funny, because the chair still has to be placed to the right in the grid, so they are somewhat displaced and the sim still has one leg in the righthand cabinet. Like this:

Have you tried modifying the routing slots? It's a really nice set, but if you find yourself playing with the routing slots you could make your sim sit in the right place.

I've done something I'd never thought I'd do until now. All of your toddlers will be able to have matching bedding like their parents:

Bedding Examples:

Yes, that is "regular" bedding being pulled from all 3 objects. EVERYTHING that is made of fabric is pulling regular bedding. Be ready for a freetime update as well. Wink

Ah, and I forgot to mention. I fixed an EAxian fail:

« Last Edit: 2010 April 24, 12:49:52 by fway » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: