PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 00:51:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Official Survey: They're going to sell individual downloads!?WTF?!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Official Survey: They're going to sell individual downloads!?WTF?!  (Read 119764 times)
keirra
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Official Survey: They're going to sell individual downloads!?WTF?!
« Reply #15 on: 2008 June 12, 03:25:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That was quick. I, too, hope that the right people were able to take the survey. Unfortunately, aren't alot of the members at N99 pro-paysite?

I'd tell you to go to Hell, but I work there and don't want to see you every day.
Ink
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 June 12, 04:21:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like Second Life all over again. Perhaps we'll have paysites owners selling their files in an EA store and each taking a cut of the profit. Does this mean the stuff couldn't go in the booty because it's technically 'EA' files?
Xeon_Black
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 June 12, 05:18:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perhaps we'll have paysites owners selling their files in an EA store and each taking a cut of the profit.

I think that's what they're planning to do. EA prolly sees there's a huge profit to be made from those paysites, and wants a cut, is why all the while they never really took a stand. I just can't help but feel Thomass or Steve or whoever in TSR knows a big dog in EA and they did some sort of secret shady deal, which is why we see the official Sims 2 site promoting TSR. Who knows, maybe whatever profits TSR made, already a certain percentage of it could be going to EA.

Was the survey recent? If it was, I'm wondering why is it gone so fast. I thought surveys are usually left for quite awhile to gather more insight from the public.  Huh
Dr House
ARR!

My pills, let me show you them.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 June 12, 05:51:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm chocked. I feared something like that would happen but seeing it taking place is really a living nightmare.
It hurts. All these years of simming, gone away, swept for money. Will Wright's initial idea of the simming community is going to blow up Sad I wonder what would he think of it - unless i'm highly mistaken on him, which wouldn't surprise me after that. Angry
So EA is preparing a payserver for Sims 3. Without me, definetly. 'Hope they change their mind.

I'm a female, so what?! Duh! Anyway why are you reading this? Go away! Shoo! Oh and here are my pills.
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 June 12, 06:04:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If EA are thinking "This is the future of gaming" this is where they want to be for The Sims 3, where they turn it into a second life but for their monetary gain. I mean, individual downloads? At what? 4 bucks a pop? 1 buck a pop?
I hope they choke on their plans and not have a single subscriber.

It will come to a point where the sheepies will play on and play on only to get their money's worth and who really sees that happening?

They won't get my monies, no way.  Angry

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 June 12, 06:13:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

guys, there's always the option of walking away and refusing to pay them a cent..

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 June 12, 06:26:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's the route I intend on, and have been going by since BV.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
pixelated
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 June 12, 07:40:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

guys, there's always the option of walking away and refusing to pay them a cent..

Yup. There's just no way that The Sims 3 will get as large a fanbase if they make custom content cost money, and I have no desire to play a game that's clearly just made to make money.

What saddens me the most, having played and been part of the community since Sims 1, is that it'll really ruin the great community that was the reason I didn't get tired of Sims after two weeks. The community is the reason that people stick around for years even though the game quickly goes dull and repetitative. Oh well, they're shooting themselves in the foot with this.
Markus
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 June 12, 08:05:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This really disgusts me.
alia
ARR!

Ms. Smartypants

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 June 12, 08:07:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like Second Life all over again. Perhaps we'll have paysites owners selling their files in an EA store and each taking a cut of the profit. Does this mean the stuff couldn't go in the booty because it's technically 'EA' files?

Yep. We don't offer torrents here because they're illegal. Maxis has the right to sell those pixels, just as we have the right not to buy them.

SunSun a.k.a. Shannis

I aten't dead yet.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: 2008 June 12, 08:43:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see them teaming up with paysites - particularly if EA is using their own stuff.  Why farm it out to Tom Ass and give him *any* percentage if you made it, took pictures and have a website?

Tom Ass could find himself competing with EA instead.

But if they did that, they would screw the whole idea of custom content sharing.  For a start, anything cloned (like new meshes) would be cloned from content you have to buy, which means that custom content would come to a halt, and stop the spread of the word of the Sims. 

I might be a sucker for the stuff packs, but I would never buy an item at a time.  Never - and certainly not online.

And Xeon Black - the surveys are often only up for a limited time, like 5 hours or so - they get the required number of participants in that time.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2008 June 12, 09:56:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as I'm concerned they can go jump.. if I wanted to pay for content, I'd play Second Life. God forbid.

Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 2008 June 12, 10:24:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tom Ass could find himself competing with EA instead.

But if they did that, they would screw the whole idea of custom content sharing.  For a start, anything cloned (like new meshes) would be cloned from content you have to buy, which means that custom content would come to a halt, and stop the spread of the word of the Sims. 

I might be a sucker for the stuff packs, but I would never buy an item at a time.  Never - and certainly not online.

TSR competing with EA might be kind of fun to watch. 

While, at first the idea kind of shocked me, in some ways it might be nice to be able to get one or two things I wanted instead of buying an entire stuff pack because I wanted one or two things out of it.  I might not buy any EA custom content though.  But, at least I will have a choice to pick and choose.  However, I cannot see how they are going to be able to stop sharing.  There are some VERY clever people in this community, and my best guess is that once they figure out how to crack the items (the haxors won't be able to help themselves, they will try almost immediately), people will be sharing the meshes along with any custom content made from the items.   Illegal or not, people will do it.  Once that happens, this idea will tank.   

Every time EA tries to come up with a way to make things pay, like EAland or SimsOnline, it never seems to go over well. 

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2008 June 12, 11:28:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unless they stomp and destroy fansites all together, this will not be a very good succes during Sims 2. During Sims 3, they can forbid fansites offering content all they like and make it into a system like Second Life where they grab a huge portion of the income withouthaving to create anything. Paying a Sims 3 team to make new content is alot more expensive than letting custom content creators sell their items through them.

Inactive
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2008 June 12, 11:59:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

except if they go down that road, they become at least partially responsible if the content is totally borked or a breach of copyright.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: