PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 30, 16:32:01

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Reduce Demand! Download from Free Sites Instead!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Reduce Demand! Download from Free Sites Instead!  (Read 36775 times)
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
Reduce Demand! Download from Free Sites Instead!
« Reply #90 on: 2008 January 15, 23:33:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't really want to put excessive pressure on you  Cheesy Ultimately, if it's free, I'm not going to quibble with you alot - or make your job difficult - that defeats the whole purpose.  

My personal view is that if you include free things from paysites, then you could be forfeiting something that if you looked, could be found in a freesite.  Not to mention that it saves you from the whole "well no one would want it without the TSR window set".

Not to mention that if you put it out to freesite owners that you would like say postmodern rooms, then they might help you by pointing out theirs' or someone else's appropriate content.  Cheesy

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
i saw drones
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: 2008 January 15, 23:45:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

very very good points

My personal view is that if you include free things from paysites, then you could be forfeiting something that if you looked, could be found in a freesite. Not to mention that it saves you from the whole "well no one would want it without the TSR window set"

this point is a very good one, though with the TSR window set thingy, it wouldn't be a problem, because everything in a picture - walls floors windows doors evvvverything would be freely available (for free, obviously) so you could get around that. just because something comes in a 'set' doesn't necessarily mean it has to go with that set all the time right!
i do agree with your point about just looking for something that could be found on a freesite, it's a great idea. i think i'll definitely need to wrangle in a few people to help me out sooner rather than later, hehe.

Not to mention that if you put it out to freesite owners that you would like say postmodern rooms, then they might help you by pointing out theirs' or someone else's appropriate content.

i really like this idea, and it was something i was thinking about, getting people to point out content for the project. i love the idea that it's all unsolicited, you know, just referrals and stuff, word of mouth is the best!

there could be a 'suggest a site' or even just 'suggest an object' type form somewhere on the sitewhere people can make suggestions, i think that would work very well.

i don't want to make it too involved, just a nice site/catalogue thing which grows every month to show off all the fabulous content that is freeeee!

~(.., )~

Free Sims 2 recolours at awesims.sixty-ten.net  |  sixty-ten.net
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2008 January 15, 23:47:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*comes out of her doze from under the truck* TSR??? Blow it up! *goes back to sleep*

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: 2008 January 16, 00:04:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "i saw drones"
this point is a very good one, though with the TSR window set thingy, it wouldn't be a problem, because everything in a picture

Ah see, I've had many a disagreement on S2C with paysite owners, who said well you wouldn't like xxx if there wasn't free stuff from a paysite in it - you're really supporting paysites.  Their claim is that freesites relying on free content from paysites just supports the idea that in order to have the large amount of free content, you need to pay the bills with pay content.  If that makes sense.  Cheesy

i do agree with your point about just looking for something that could be found on a freesite, it's a great idea. i think i'll definitely need to wrangle in a few people to help me out sooner rather than later, hehe.

You know that if you asked here, someone would be able to provide the information.  Cheesy

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: 2008 January 16, 00:14:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "calalily"
this point is a very good one, though with the TSR window set thingy, it wouldn't be a problem, because everything in a picture

Ah see, I've had many a disagreement on S2C with paysite owners, who said well you wouldn't like xxx if there wasn't free stuff from a paysite in it - you're really supporting paysites.  Their claim is that freesites relying on free content from paysites just supports the idea that in order to have the large amount of free content, you need to pay the bills with pay content.  If that makes sense.  Cheesy

It didn't that's why they're wrong.  Cheesy

calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: 2008 January 16, 00:19:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "RedLove"

Actually, I was wondering whether I made sense.  Tongue

I'm mainly thinking of the strategic advantage of being able to use free site stuff - all reliance on paysites can be eschewed, and no one can say "well that's not all "freesite" stuff, is it?"  Cheesy

Visit Calalilysims

RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: 2008 January 16, 00:36:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I was wondering whether I made sense.  Tongue

I'm mainly thinking of the strategic advantage of being able to use free site stuff - all reliance on paysites can be eschewed, and no one can say "well that's not all "freesite" stuff, is it?"  Cheesy

Oh well, no you didn't make sense to me, but then again I don't really count. :lol: They're still wrong though.

calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: 2008 January 16, 00:45:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They're still wrong though.

Well, no, they have an arguable point - that free sites rely on paysite mentality.  Some paysites justify their pay content by saying that they need the bandwidth money for free stuff - so they sell a small amount of content to pay for bandwidth for free stuff - thus their free content is supported by their pay content.  I do believe this is the argument that Holy Simoly puts forth for having pay content - to try to give everyone the free stuff.

*Hence, free stuff on paysites wouldn't exist without the pay content.*

I see it differently - in that this is the free samples to tempt you to buy stuff, but we're not trying to get already converts to use free stuff - we're trying to get paysite lemmings to use free stuff.

Visit Calalilysims

Rose
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2008 January 16, 00:54:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I think it sends a stronger message when all the items in a picture are from 100% free sites.

I just personally have an HS addiction. Like their Adelle dining chair and Piggisims' recolors. (Ahhh that's a great chair.)

But I wouldn't mind putting in the extra effort to use all free content from all free sites. Just wanted to check the guidelines before I got started making a room.
RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: 2008 January 16, 01:26:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They're still wrong though.

Well, no, they have an arguable point - that free sites rely on paysite mentality.  Some paysites justify their pay content by saying that they need the bandwidth money for free stuff - so they sell a small amount of content to pay for bandwidth for free stuff - thus their free content is supported by their pay content.  I do believe this is the argument that Holy Simoly puts forth for having pay content - to try to give everyone the free stuff.

But that doesn't make sense when you consider that Noukie, Jess, and others are running sites on voluntary donations. There are other alternatives other than having pay content to pay for crap. Ads are annoying yes but they would work for a small site like Jan/Bev/ WTFever. It still doesn't make that much sense to me. =D

Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 2008 January 16, 02:39:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still say blow up the paysites, then we won't have to worry about the bastiges... use bubble soap on their mother boards, bubble gum in their CPU's or Super Elastic Bubble Plastic in their power source, blow 'em up! *goes back to sleep, flu sucks*

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
i saw drones
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: 2008 January 16, 03:00:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hmm i guess i have a lot to think about.. lol

~(.., )~

deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2008 January 16, 04:30:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I mean is it really wrong to use an item on a room if that item has always been free from the paysite owner?

It's still free.

I'd help.
I pride myself on making great rooms, I would love to have a reason to show em off, and to help find stuff. Sure I'd be happy to learn how to make a webpage because uh.. Im computer retarded.

But if it helps the cause to blow TSR up... I'm all for it! And I shall give it my best Smiley

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
i saw drones
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: 2008 January 16, 05:30:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i sortof agree, while i understand totally what calalily means.

but a free item is still a free item, ya know?

i'll take care of all the 'getting it all online' stuff, with hosting and updates and everything and if people find things but don't really want to make them into a setting, thats cool, just point me in the direction and i'll do it, no drama!

please, if anyone would like to help me out, just pm me (i don't want to saturate this thread with my shit any more than i have already - apologies!! lol) so yeah, pm me or email me (sarah at sixty-ten dot net).
i would be eternally grateful!

this is still in its infancy, and i really still need to figure a few things out, but i'd love to get the first issue/get it all up online in the next month!

p.s i'm thinking a nice wee addition to the site i set up would be a sweet freesite feature blog type thing - with links and pictures and stuff as a suppliment - like if we find a sweet FREESITE (not paysite, lol) it's worthwhile to feature it - give them some love. i think it would be fair for this section to be ONLY for 100% free sites, because they deserve our love more than the free/pay sites!

<3

~(.., )~

deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2008 January 16, 06:29:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"like if we find a sweet paysite it's worthwhile to feature it - give them some love"

What?

:shock:

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: