PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 30, 10:26:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Reduce Demand! Download from Free Sites Instead!
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Reduce Demand! Download from Free Sites Instead!  (Read 36767 times)
i saw drones
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Reduce Demand! Download from Free Sites Instead!
« Reply #105 on: 2008 January 16, 07:14:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL
I MEANT FREESITE!
WTF
hahahah
sorry
FREE!! it's all about the free!

~(.., )~

Free Sims 2 recolours at awesims.sixty-ten.net  |  sixty-ten.net
Jojoba
Pirate

Inoodle Concordance

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2008 January 16, 10:36:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Rose"
No, I think it sends a stronger message when all the items in a picture are from 100% free sites.

Indeed. Using free items from paysites promotes the paysites, increases their popularity..more customers...etc. Thats not what we want to do.

Purpose is to promote free sites so do that. I agree with Rose that should be items from completely free sites

<@Pescado> I would rather eat my own testicles.

Want to donate? Help out? PM Ash, MissB, Dee or Cat!

deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2008 January 16, 11:20:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*taps hat*

Okay. I understand.

The Captain has spoken Tongue

but yeah.. the fact that downloaders are so greedy! and want more! they will be suckered to pay for the shiny objects that are advertised (they might fall for the "think of the chilluns" line) and we don't want that

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
i saw drones
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: 2008 January 16, 20:08:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ok sweet, i concede!
100% free sites or nothing Smiley
win!!!

~(.., )~

Moune
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: 2008 January 16, 20:19:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just throwing in my 2 cents: I saw Drones, I too think it's a great idea. Not only because it will promote free stuff in an attractive and easily accessible way. But also because for someone like me it would be just perfect. I basically go on a downloading spree once every three months and I never know where to start. Your magazine would provide an excellent shopping list. I'm sure it would be the same for all those others who don't have time to keep up with the daily finds in the forums and finds sites.

Best of luck with the project.  Cheesy

* Formerly known as Peachfish *
Got a hungry sim that needs a nice place to have dinner? HERE is a new dining room for you.
i saw drones
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: 2008 January 16, 20:36:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

thankyou, thankyou! i really appreciate the support Smiley

~(.., )~

calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: 2008 January 16, 21:59:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "RedLove"
But that doesn't make sense when you consider that Noukie, Jess, and others are running sites on voluntary donations. There are other alternatives other than having pay content to pay for crap. Ads are annoying yes but they would work for a small site like Jan/Bev/ WTFever. It still doesn't make that much sense to me. =D

None of the freesites, no matter how much ad revenue or donations that they get make them in any way similar to paysites.  They withhold no content - they are not paysites. Ads and selling content have nothing in common whatsoever.

I've argued this point with many a paysite owner at s2c - they think that if you use their free stuff, you're endorsing their paystuff, because that's what they rationalise keeps the free stuff online.

Another example: do you think that they would have free samples of bread at a bakery if they weren't trying to sell you bread?  Do you think that the people who get paid for bread would put it out there for free while selling nothing? They factor the free samples into the profit of the bread sold - as extra cost to selling bread.  

Quote from: "CaptainJojoba"
Using free items from paysites promotes the paysites, increases their popularity..more customers...etc. Thats not what we want to do.

I knew I was your wench for some reason you smart little thing.  Cheesy

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: 2008 January 16, 22:07:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "calalily"
But that doesn't make sense when you consider that Noukie, Jess, and others are running sites on voluntary donations. There are other alternatives other than having pay content to pay for crap. Ads are annoying yes but they would work for a small site like Jan/Bev/ WTFever. It still doesn't make that much sense to me. =D

None of the freesites, no matter how much ad revenue or donations that they get make them in any way similar to paysites.  They withhold no content - they are not paysites. Ads and selling content have nothing in common whatsoever.

I've argued this point with many a paysite owner at s2c - they think that if you use their free stuff, you're endorsing their paystuff, because that's what they rationalise keeps the free stuff online.

Another example: do you think that they would have free samples of bread at a bakery if they weren't trying to sell you bread?  Do you think that the people who get paid for bread would put it out there for free while selling nothing? They factor the free samples into the profit of the bread sold - as extra cost to selling bread.  

I know Cala. I was agreeing with the whole idea that you don't have to have donation items to make and keep up a site  :lol:

ETA: Not real sure if you're just giving me information or if you took my words the wrong way.  Cheesy Confusion!

calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: 2008 January 16, 22:30:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know Cala. I was agreeing with the whole idea that you don't have to have donation items to make and keep up a site  :lol:

No - we know that they don't need them - but that's their reasoning, and their reasoning must be ground to a fine powder and mixed with their food.  Cheesy

ETA: Not real sure if you're just giving me information or if you took my words the wrong way.  Cheesy Confusion!

I just wanna make confusion clear - otherwise I will be misquoted at some future stage.  Tongue Tinfoil FTW!

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2008 January 17, 07:56:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh we all know they don't need the money to keep the doors open. When you get to the stage that you can do hundreds and hundreds of gigs for a relatively small sum (about 3-7 bucks a month spread over a year or two) if they're paying any more than that, it's just damn laziness and noone else should have to pay for it..

I like how we all nailed that argument to the wall six months ago, and they then went on to mangling the creator's rights argument out of all recognition. It's interesting though.. I've talked to small paysite owners even way back when and they were honest they were doing it for pocket money.. (this was before it was ok to be vocal)

The bottom line I think is they're slippery dishonest buggers who've gotten away with conning people for too long so they don't think we notice when they switch midstream, but we do..

What I think is, we get what we focus on.. I like threads like this because it's more about encouraging free stuff than anything. If we focus too much on the paysites other than cutting them off at the legs, that's what we end up with more of.

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
i saw drones
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: 2008 January 20, 20:23:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i gotta say, since making the move to freesite only content (i've adopted this into my game as well) it's really opened my eyes to some wonderful content.
 eliminating paysites/ free/pay sites forces you to look harder for stuff, and makes you appreciate it way more.

to be honest i don't really even miss most of the stuff anymore!

~(.., )~

calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: 2008 January 20, 20:33:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "i saw drones"
i gotta say, since making the move to freesite only content (i've adopted this into my game as well) it's really opened my eyes to some wonderful content.
 eliminating paysites/ free/pay sites forces you to look harder for stuff, and makes you appreciate it way more.

Yay! This is what we want for others too - that they find that wonderful free content that goes neglected in favour of the heavily linked pay crap that comes up the top of google.  Cheesy

That being said, if you ever lack for some good freesite stuff, you only have to ask, and you'll have at least 20 pirates finding stuff for you.  :lol:

Visit Calalilysims

liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2008 January 20, 20:36:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bandwidth is really a joke, at this point. For example, I get 1000 GB of transfer (bandwidth) a month for $6.99. GoS and DP use only about a quarter of it, and that's being generous. We also get quite a bit of traffic on the forum at different times. If I really needed more, I think I can double or triple that for $12.99 a month. If you need all that bandwidth for your site, chances are at least one or two people will help you out and donate enough to pay your bill. Bandwidth isn't that expensive anymore.

Even with all this talk of 'greater' and 'lesser' paysite evils, a paysite is still just that-- a paysite. Even the free things from a paysite are part of that paysite. If you are advertising free sites, a site that has pay content SHOULD be excluded. It can be sad, since a few sites have a large quantity of quality free stuff, but if it has 'donation sets' then it's not really free.

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
i saw drones
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: 2008 January 20, 21:00:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "calalily"
Quote from: "i saw drones"

Yay! This is what we want for others too - that they find that wonderful free content that goes neglected in favour of the heavily linked pay crap that comes up the top of google.  Cheesy

That being said, if you ever lack for some good freesite stuff, you only have to ask, and you'll have at least 20 pirates finding stuff for you.  :lol:

that rocks so much
though i think it'll be practically impossible to be lacking in good free stuff if what i have downloaded in the last week is anything to go by, lol.

i deleted all the pay crap and promptly filled it all up with free stuff,
um, to the point that i had to increase the size of my c drive to accomodate it.. dang. lol

~(.., )~

i saw drones
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: 2008 January 20, 21:04:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

also, wow@1000gb of transfer for $6.99, that is awesome

for my site (portfolio) i have 1.5gb storage & 40gb transfer for $8.95 and i thought THAT was good. i barely use any of that, and since i started using photobucket to host pictures it's become even less.

pro photobucket accounts are ONLY $25 a year, and it saves you from a lot of bandwidth troubles on your site, since you'd only be using your space to host the files and site. people will look at all the photos you have on a site, but may only download a few files??

if you run a site, and can't pony up $9 a month to host it, then you need a better job. don't expect other people to pay for your hobby fools!

it's not rocket science...

~(.., )~

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: