PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 08:22:50

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Free Sim Site Hosting
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Free Sim Site Hosting  (Read 6038 times)
BV
Landlubber

View Profile
Free Sim Site Hosting
« on: 2007 September 15, 22:17:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.s2chost.info/

It's been a while since I've been here. I forgot my password and forgot about the recovery button XD. I'm a dumbass.

Anyways, this isn't really an ad but just trying to get the message out there:

--

Sims paysites say that their costs are to cover hosting. But, if there were free Sims 2 hosts out there, they would have absolutely no reason whatsoever to stay pay. There are, now. S2CHost is one of them

--

I really dislike pay sites, and I just want to help. Please use a button and get the message out! I need some good, healthy, traffic. I've been getting non-Sims 2 sites signing up. I really want to do my part. I have plentiful bandwidth and space, so I'll take any sort of website. Just sign up and I'll register you. I just want to help and I have about 5 GB of space and 50 GB of bandwidth left. I'm emailing sites in need (I emailed Adele but Jessica had already offered a spot in the WNF) and everything. I'd be glad to host any Sims 2-related site.
scrappysim
ARR!

View Profile
Free Sim Site Hosting
« Reply #1 on: 2007 September 16, 03:28:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think this is admirable.  I think I saw that you posted this once before on another forum.  Maybe you could PM Hecubus about adding a link to "Money Better Spent".

I dont have a site but I will say Thank You for those who need help like this.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Deeply. . . . It's worth it!
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
Free Sim Site Hosting
« Reply #2 on: 2007 September 16, 03:47:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're two steps behind BV. PMs exchanged, plans made.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
Flying Dutchman
Landlubber

View Profile
Free Sim Site Hosting
« Reply #3 on: 2007 September 17, 00:25:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BV, you don't even have a server to host sites on, do you?

BV
Landlubber

View Profile
Free Sim Site Hosting
« Reply #4 on: 2007 September 17, 00:38:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes I do Dutchman, so please do not slander someone without knowing facts. It's not a server, but rather a reseller hosting plan:

Code:
Disk 5Gb, Transfer 50Gb, FTP Accounts - 1000, Email Accounts 1000, Email Lists – 100, Databases – 1000, Sub Domains – 1000, Parked Domains - 200, Addon Domains 200, CGI, FrontPage Extensions, NS1 & NS2.YOURDOMAIN.COM, and all the usual WHM/cPanel 11/Fantastico Delux features.

Again, it is rude to slander someone without knowing the facts.
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
Free Sim Site Hosting
« Reply #5 on: 2007 September 17, 00:44:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know where Flying Dutchman is coming from.  I'm sorry he/she is disrespecting a fellow member of this phorum.

I hope some paysites take you up on your generous offer! Smiley

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
Tempest Limmerfer
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Free Sim Site Hosting
« Reply #6 on: 2007 September 17, 01:20:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How nice to see such a generous offer!
Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside...nope...that was the rum doing it, but still very nice to see!

I hope some sites will accept this.

www.limmerfer.com
proudly hosting designs by : Nii

EA Games: Welcome to Pixel Hell, Bitches! (Snarky)
Duckie
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Free Sim Site Hosting
« Reply #7 on: 2007 September 17, 02:35:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is a very nice offer and hopefully it's availability will lure some paysites to go free. I've linked to your resource from my site to help spread the word. Smiley

b]DerailedSims2 ~ Money Better Spent![/b]
(Derailed's been updated!)
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
Free Sim Site Hosting
« Reply #8 on: 2007 September 17, 06:46:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

:shock: You're not ready for alot of sims sites yet (well probably not the ones you would like to come over), and Sims 2 sites are usually resource gobbling monsters because of the downloads... mine is kinda medium and I use 700 gigs a month...

What you could do is offer it to smaller sites specifically, and help people start up a site, instead of trying to get sites who are allready in trouble... the ones in trouble usually just use too much for shared hosting.

Inactive
wicked_one
ARR!

View Profile
Free Sim Site Hosting
« Reply #9 on: 2007 September 17, 09:57:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i think flying dutchman was referring to the fact that you said you had 5gb of space and 50gb of bandwidth--which isnt "plentiful" and a reseller plan on shared hosting wouldnt really benefit many sites, whereas a server would.

nouk is right, the reseller plan you have isnt enough for even one medium sized site, let alone a paysite.
you'd be best offering people who are just starting out a place to start before moving onto their own larger hosting plan. Or sites that are outgrowing their moonfruit/freewebs account.
50gb of bandwidth? Most sites use 5-10, moderately popular sites like doursim use about 30gb; so you'd only be able to have a few sites on there. 5gb of space isnt very much either, especially split several ways.
Also, none of them would be able to have forums because forums + shared hosting = the boot
hosting providers see a forum doing even moderately well and they start claiming you're hogging up too many resources and try to get you to upgrade or shut you down.
Its nice that they are offering more email/ftp/databases/domains than you will ever need, but the disk and bandwidth is too low to share among several sites Sad
I think its great that you're trying to help out though.
BV
Landlubber

View Profile
Free Sim Site Hosting
« Reply #10 on: 2007 September 17, 12:21:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm waiting for more signups before I upgrade. The next step up from here is this:

Code:
Reseller 20Gb
Disk – 20Gb, Transfer – 200Gb, FTP Accounts - 5000, Email Accounts – 5000, Email Lists – 500, Databases – 5000, Sub Domains – 5000, Parked Domains - 500, Addon Domains – 500, CGI, FrontPage Extensions, NS1 & NS2.YOURDOMAIN.COM, and all the usual WHM/cPanel 11/Fantastico Delux features.

I really don't need it at the moment, because I use 11 MB of bandwidth and 2 MB of space. No one is signing up.

My goals are to help smaller sites and to help donation pack sites go 100% free.

Oh, and and on UK Yahoo I'm at #18. I didn't even submit my site :p.

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?p=free%20sims%202%20sites&fr=btfp-web&pstart=1&b=11

I'm hosted by Web-Spot, to go there just go to S2CHost and click the small button at the bottom of the page. They are the best host, in my opinion.
Flying Dutchman
Landlubber

View Profile
Free Sim Site Hosting
« Reply #11 on: 2007 September 17, 23:13:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm for free sites and helping hosting them, otherwise I wouldn't be offering my help to the WNF. My posts aren't against you in any way, I'm just trying to help you realize that you aren't going to be able to handle any medium-sized websites. Let's start by addressing your current stats:

Disk 5Gb

You only have 5GB of disk space. A middle-sized Sims 2 site is going to take from 1GB-4GB alone.

Transfer 50Gb

Looking better, however, with any medium sized website this will not be enough to host one - maybe more. A standard site like DourSim nearly uses 50GB.

The rest I won't address as they are really not needed. Now to address you're new specs, assuming you upgrade:

Disk – 20Gb

This is better. Not enough to host many sites, you'd be good only hosting a small about with this.

Transfer – 200Gb

Again, this is better. You'd do good hosting smaller sites, sites starting out (like previously suggested). If you have more that 3 or 4 middle sized sites you're going to be cutting it REALLY close and probably not even making it.

Again, the rest is not needed and rubbish. You'll find if you host each site with a cpanel it'll become a resource hog and slowly begin to start to eat away at your bandwidth and disk space.

Hell, even over at the WNF, we've been cutting it close every month with our stats since switching over. You'll be fine hosting newer websites that are starting out, but you will not be able to handle many medium sized sites, let alone a paysite. We told you similar information only a couple weeks ago on S2C, I don't know what else to do other than to let you host some medium sites, have your account crash, and say "Told ya so!"

Besides, most paysite creators aren't in it for hosting reasons, clearly...this is a discussion for another day.

EDIT: To those who say "OH NOZ!!!111 YOU ARE SO MEAN FOR TELLING SOMEONE THAT THEY ARE WRONG!!!111" I have only this to say to you: This is not the first time we've tried to explain this to him. He'll be fine hosting a couple small Sims 2 sites but, anything more will not last.

Also, out of curiosity, do you even know the kind of stats your server has? Having good bandwidth and disk space isn't going to help matters any if you have shitty servers hosting them. Linux, windows? What?

EDIT #2:
Offering to help host a site like HolySimoly, for example, which is about the size of NoukieSims2, is exactly what I mean. You could not do it on either of the above plans.

BV
Landlubber

View Profile
Free Sim Site Hosting
« Reply #12 on: 2007 September 18, 00:03:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you seriously think I'm offering to host Holy Simoly, you are mistaken. Their donation packs is what I offered to host.

And I'm not a computer newbie. I did some calculations and decided that there is absolutely no point of getting too much space when I can easily upgrade. I'm trying to be very open. I expect at most around 2-3 high traffic sites and about 20 to 30 new sites.
Flying Dutchman
Landlubber

View Profile
Free Sim Site Hosting
« Reply #13 on: 2007 September 18, 00:08:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "BV"
If you seriously think I'm offering to host Holy Simoly, you are mistaken. Their donation packs is what I offered to host.

And I'm not a computer newbie. I did some calculations and decided that there is absolutely no point of getting too much space when I can easily upgrade. I'm trying to be very open. I expect at most around 2-3 high traffic sites and about 20 to 30 new sites.

What exactly are you considering high traffic?

Hell, we do good hosting 20ish medium sized sites on a server...and you're seriously considering doing this with a reseller account?!

Tongue

BV
Landlubber

View Profile
Free Sim Site Hosting
« Reply #14 on: 2007 September 18, 00:24:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Flying Dutchman"

What exactly are you considering high traffic?

Hell, we do good hosting 20ish medium sized sites on a server...and you're seriously considering doing this with a reseller account?!

Tongue

I consider high traffic to be about Simply Sims 2 size, basically. As it is now, one would work, but when I upgrade, I can do two or three.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: