PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 01:00:07

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Take a look at this!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Take a look at this!  (Read 71732 times)
MIKEY
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #45 on: 2007 August 14, 06:03:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, all I think it does is put Free and Pay on equal footing now.  Both are within their 'rights' to do as they wish.  Now, although it does not say anything against file-sharing, if folks REALLY want harmony and respect back into the community, the wishes of both need to be respected.

You watch.  If this is the status quo now...

People need a fight to give meaning to their 'cause'.  So, if this is the status quo, it will go back to what it was a few years back, except this time with more vigor, and it will be free AND pay (albeit it may be reluctantly) against file sharing.  The ego cannot be suppressed indefinitely.

So ultimately the question, as cliche as it sounds, is "Why can we not all get along?"

IKEY!!!
~~So I don't have to repeat myself; I have issues with the means by which you folks make your point known, as well as try to pressure your wishes into being~~
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Take a look at this!
« Reply #46 on: 2007 August 14, 06:03:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Soup Parrot"
Small sites that dont have the $$$$$ for the license will be illegal.

When has that stopped creators before?  Have they forked over thousands for the 3DS Max they use or the pricey models they use?  Small sites will get around it and EA probably wouldn't waste the time trying to chase down their money anyway.  It may cost them just as much to do so.

Creators will pirate then call us pirates for doing the exact same thing, save on a smaller level and the world will exist much like it does now.  

Paysite owners cannot copyright their package files. They are not copyrightable once they are in a package file.

Right, but I am not sure they need copyright to be able to charge, and to be able to take legal action for losing money to filesharing sites.  

Lastly not everything has been disclosed. It may not be a total victory for Paysites. From TSR wording, Im sure there will be official posting explaining in detail more or less everything. And EA could do a partial victory for both sides.

TSR seems to think it will be a total victory for them.  We'll just have to see though.  I would hate to think they are right, but WTF EA?!  I can't believe they made the changes they already have.  I may be writing EA a very strongly worded letter.

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
Renegade
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Take a look at this!
« Reply #47 on: 2007 August 14, 06:16:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with those who have said EA did this to kind of remove themselves from this battle, thereby muddying the waters even more.

However, if they take out the non-commercial part in Bodyshop and other relevant TS2 tools, they're fucking stupid, pardon my french..

But by allowing paysites to continue, they are basically saying "Hey! We promote pay content, too!  Go spend money at TSR and pay for some crappy recolours of OTHER paysite meshes!"  Also saying it's okay for bitches like Peggy to keep selling her fucked up meshes, and for other sites to sell their misrepresented shit.

Will they fix broken items?  Will they force paysites to give refuns?  Will they regulate paysite content?

But TSR and other paysites should keep their goodies in their pants for now, we're not thieves.  EA has not said filesharing is illegal so PMBD lives on, saving people from horrors like TSR, PeggySims, etc.

ETA:
But I can't believe if they're going to change the EULA to help along sites like TSR.  TSR doesn't even regulate their pay content, what does that say?  Seriously, nobody checks FA content so it can be broken, misrepresented, hideous, they don't care.  If it is by an FA, it doens't need to be checked.  But that is what people are paying for!  Ridiculous.

TSR is disgusting, and always will be.

MIKEY
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #48 on: 2007 August 14, 06:20:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "RenegadeSims"
I agree with those who have said EA did this to kind of remove themselves from this battle, thereby muddying the waters even more.

However, if they take out the non-commercial part in Bodyshop and other relevant TS2 tools, they're fucking stupid, pardon my french..

But by allowing paysites to continue, they are basically saying "Hey! We promote pay content, too!  Go spend money at TSR and pay for some crappy recolours of OTHER paysite meshes!"  Also saying it's okay for bitches like Peggy to keep selling her fucked up meshes, and for other sites to sell their misrepresented shit.

But TSR and other paysites should keep their goodies in their pants for now, we're not thieves.  EA has not said filesharing is illegal so PMBD lives on, saving people from horrors like TSR, PeggySims, etc.

SOME RUM, PLEASE!  SOMEBODY!  WE NEED SOME RUM OVER HERE!!!

LOL.

Folks, I must hit the sack.  Work comes early for me and I must earn my living.  See y'all tomorrow evening.

With like,
MIKEY!!!

IKEY!!!
~~So I don't have to repeat myself; I have issues with the means by which you folks make your point known, as well as try to pressure your wishes into being~~
Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #49 on: 2007 August 14, 06:21:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sherry, I think this is an issue and have felt this strongly that needs to be taken to the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) from the beginning.

As far as suing, a court would look at when EA made the change to the Eula. You see, they just changed their agreement. You see the court would hold to when these changes were made not before.

also to sue a lot of different folks in different countries takes lots of money. The recording revuenes make TSR look small, the recording industry had the capitol.  If they want to sue, we have the EFF to petition to for help they have a US location and an EU one in Switzerland.

fficial Sim Club member in all Sim World: Nouk, Marcossi, Moune, Orange Mittens, Nengi,, Fanseelamb, to many to list thei the best.
FreakyBooty
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #50 on: 2007 August 14, 06:30:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The EULA has always been a moot point for me, and so is an irrelevant argument with me. I still think paysites are wrong, mostly due to the perceived greed and egotism involved.  If someone feels the absolute need to open their own website, then pony up, or ask others to help.  Making it a requirement smacks of the overestimation of your own self-worth.  Hell, if you really want to make a profit, burn your crap to CDs and sell it on Ebay.
Given that approximately 95% of the gaming communities agree that paysites are unacceptable, we certainly aren't in the minority, and I really doubt filesharing will go away.

Do what I do, assume everyone at TSR is a cunt. Then, you can only be pleasantly surprised if they exhibit non-cunty behaviour.  -- Capucine
I is LadyGrainne, and I is a thug.  Can I has a cookie?
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #51 on: 2007 August 14, 07:44:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fuck the EULA. That is just EAxis copping out. Paysites are parasites on the entire gaming community. Please give me a precedent where they are officially allowed and condoned.
Mikey is just another money grubbing thief trying to make a living off of other peoples work.
I think the booty should stay till file sharing is proven wrong.
Please correct me if I have gotten any of this wrong.

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #52 on: 2007 August 14, 07:52:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "MIKEY"
You know, all I think it does is put Free and Pay on equal footing now.  Both are within their 'rights' to do as they wish.  Now, although it does not say anything against file-sharing, if folks REALLY want harmony and respect back into the community, the wishes of both need to be respected.

Ah. but harmony and respect is not anything I personally value. MOAR FIGHT is what I value, so an attempt to influence me by pleas for "harmony" and offers of "respect" fall on deaf ears. Some have accused me of being just plain deaf, period.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #53 on: 2007 August 14, 09:05:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I am getting from all this is that someone at EA has a good/terrible sense of humour.  They knew exactly what to do to get everyone running about like headless flies again.   I expect they're reading all this and chortling.   And still nothing is really any clearer. Smiley

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #54 on: 2007 August 14, 09:14:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"
Quote from: "MIKEY"

Ah. but harmony and respect is not anything I personally value. MOAR FIGHT is what I value, so an attempt to influence me by pleas for "harmony" and offers of "respect" fall on deaf ears. Some have accused me of being just plain deaf, period.

I am not a Pirate.. I don't visit the booty and I have no interest in pay files. I'm not even really sure about how I feel about the booty. But this is one of the times where I line up with you guys, this is bad.. however.. It is not terminal.

I'm not here under my regular username. I'm a creator on one of the free sites and I've been making free content for something like two years now. I make free content because I don't beleive I should charge for my stuff. The site I'm on doesn't even have a donation button. There are tons of creators out there like me and Judfer and Calaily who do it because we love it and because we enjoy sharing with others. And we're not going away just because paysites are around.

What I'm saying to you is, I know you guys are not going anywhere.. and I know that the free sites are not going anywhere either. We make stuff because we have fun doing it and we will keep doing just that.

And Mikey dear? On an equal footing. Not even slightly. We will be on an equal footing when you don't hide behind excuses to charge for your stuff for a game that's supposed to be a hobby in the first place.

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
Solander
ARR!

This is me ;)

View Profile WWW
Take a look at this!
« Reply #55 on: 2007 August 14, 11:22:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got a question:

Where do you guys draw the line now?

I mean, as it seems, pay sites have been legalized. So, the "free pay stuff" does not work anymore.

If you now focus on filesharing, what criteria do you use? Is any site, that does not allow filesharing, an enemy? Including free sites like mine, which does strictly prohibit any direkt filesharing or upload on third party sites, if you do not use our creations for your own creations like houses?

As someone did post in another thread, the single numenor donation item was uploaded to the booty, as you could not make differences between "good" and "bad" pay content.

So, in future, you have to copy every single object, that is not allowed to be fileshared?

This is not meant as a kind of harrassment or something like this, i'm just deeply curious, how you will define your "guidelines" now.

Solander

Webmaster of Pimp my Sims.com
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
Take a look at this!
« Reply #56 on: 2007 August 14, 11:32:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Solander"
Where do you guys draw the line now?

I mean, as it seems, pay sites have been legalized. So, the "free pay stuff" does not work anymore.

But it does - this EULA hasn't outlawed filesharing - they still haven't taken that away.  So pay stuff still will be uploaded.

Is any site, that does not allow filesharing, an enemy?

As long as it's free there's really no point in uploading it elsewhere - we can all come to your site and download it at any time.  The site doesn't require that all content must be a freeforall - just that it should be free.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Jojoba
Pirate

Inoodle Concordance

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #57 on: 2007 August 14, 11:42:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

....Interesting.

There will probably be some more developments into this further in the week, so watch out for those, but as it stands there is no mention of file sharing or free sites in general. If they adress that, then that changes a lot of things....

At the moment I think EA are just acting as the er 'middle man' and not getting involved in all of it. Although I must admit I would never have thought they would give any clear opinion on this....but it still leaves a lot of grey areas.

Solander, you ask a lot of good questions and in all honesty I dont know. File sharing in my view is just freely exchanging files that are unavailable. So no, that would not mean the booty would start to contain files from sites that are not file share friendly.

And btw, I saw at s2c the other day that it was your birthday, so happy belated birthday Smiley

<@Pescado> I would rather eat my own testicles.

Want to donate? Help out? PM Ash, MissB, Dee or Cat!

Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #58 on: 2007 August 14, 11:46:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you now focus on filesharing, what criteria do you use? Is any site, that does not allow filesharing, an enemy? Including free sites like mine, which does strictly prohibit any direkt filesharing or upload on third party sites, if you do not use our creations for your own creations like houses?

My personal view on your policies there is that they're absurd, and ultimately, the only reason I don't is because you haven't made it worth the bother to do so. Ultimately, if you were to, say, go down for an extended period of time, or take your toys and go home like some people have, people would share your files anyway. But since you are not a paysite, there is no particular reason why I would aim to relieve you of your bandwidth burden. It just wouldn't be funny enough.

Seriously: Consider a less fascistic policy. It'll help with that blood pressure problem of yours. It's not like you make money off it. Given that your policy can only function under voluntary compliance, seeing as you have no ability to actually enforce it, you'll make yourself look less silly if you don't try to even make a policy. Like the official MATY policy is "Meh."

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
MIKEY
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #59 on: 2007 August 14, 11:48:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Lemmiwinks"
Fuck the EULA. That is just EAxis copping out. Paysites are parasites on the entire gaming community. Please give me a precedent where they are officially allowed and condoned.
Mikey is just another money grubbing thief trying to make a living off of other peoples work.
I think the booty should stay till file sharing is proven wrong.
Please correct me if I have gotten any of this wrong.

Why do I even try being nice?  Geez.  Please provide proof of the " money grubbing".  I am not going over this subject again.  There are already far too many bruises left on the dead horse.

Quote from: "Angha Tyl"
And Mikey dear? On an equal footing. Not even slightly. We will be on an equal footing when you don't hide behind excuses to charge for your stuff for a game that's supposed to be a hobby in the first place.

Angha, dear.  Show me the 'excuses', please.  And you may as well pull out your proof too.  I'm not going over it again.  You can go back and read my reasoning for why we did what we did yourself.

Given that approximately 95% of the gaming communities agree that paysites are unacceptable, we certainly aren't in the minority, and I really doubt filesharing will go away.

Did you want to borrow my calculator?  LOL.  You math is a wee bit off...

IKEY!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: