PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 21:58:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Take a look at this!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Take a look at this!  (Read 72487 times)
Captain Feathersword
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Take a look at this!
« Reply #195 on: 2007 August 17, 08:22:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think HawkGirl's post was partly written as EA so
That way we don't have to get in the middle.

was meant to be said by EA.
At least that's the only way I could make sense of the post.

ell, defile me with a barnacled fork!   -   Cuss-o-matic for all your epithet needs.

Join my imaginary cult. The consequences of refusal are worse than you imagine.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #196 on: 2007 August 17, 08:25:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They would have been a whole lot better getting some balls and dealing with this.. :lol: Because right now, if they leave this to the community it's going to evolve into mob rule, and that will involve a whole lot of yelling..

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #197 on: 2007 August 17, 08:49:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Angha Tyl"
if they leave this to the community it's going to evolve into mob rule, and that will involve a whole lot of yelling..

Only if there is a mob around, who happen to feel they need to do a bit of ruling and yelling.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
HawkGirl
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #198 on: 2007 August 17, 14:01:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Captain Feathersword"
I think HawkGirl's post was partly written as EA so
That way we don't have to get in the middle.

was meant to be said by EA.
At least that's the only way I could make sense of the post.

Yep, sorry about that. That was my imaginary conversation in my mind of what they were telling me during the time I was at a loss for words. lol Just the impression I got not only from the phone call, but from the show. Don't you know, and this was actually said to me. "Paysites, are a very sensitive topic, right now." Legal is exploring all options and what should be done. I said so they are considering licensing agreements? He said no that is not part of the equation. Where did you hear that?" Etc...Etc.

Anyway I tried to put in italics what was said and then regular print my thoughts/impressions. But, I probably messed it all up. Lesson learned never type when your angry. Just kinda took me aback when he said, "You need to go through that site (TSR) and report all copyright/trademark violations immediately. We need to get all these things off those sites." Like it was my job to do that, then all I could think in my mind is, and where does that end? When all fansites are destroyed? I do realize there are some that don't use any copyright material at all, but many do.

ive every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgement.

This above all: to thine own self be true.
SparklePlenty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Take a look at this!
« Reply #199 on: 2007 August 17, 14:29:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hawkgirl, I don't believe that "every fansite will go up in smoke." I believe that some will close, because they take the easy way out and just steal images off the internet and paste them on a mesh, or use the artwork of others without credit, etc. These are the lazy content makers. It will be no big deal for users for them to retire.

Then there are the big fansites which will have to go through their OWN databases and remove all copyright infringing files. Again, no big deal.

I think there will be lots of content makers who will create original works...because it is a HOBBY, not a business. And for a hobby, the only incentive is to create, and have others give you positive strokes for your creation. That is how I operate....I make stuff because it makes my game more fun, and I like to hear people say nice things about my creations. Not because of anything EA says or does. I have my fansite because it results in people giving me positive strokes.

And consider: MOST fansites exist to TALK about the game. Downloads are secondary. That is why there are so many forums, with new ones being made every day. I foresee an increase in forums, if anything.

So, no. Fansites will not go up in a puff of smoke, whatever EA does. That is just not human (or internet) nature.

Still watching you guys
HawkGirl
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #200 on: 2007 August 17, 15:10:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "SparklePlenty"
Hawkgirl, I don't believe that "every fansite will go up in smoke." I believe that some will close, because they take the easy way out and just steal images off the internet and paste them on a mesh, or use the artwork of others without credit, etc. These are the lazy content makers. It will be no big deal for users for them to retire.

Then there are the big fansites which will have to go through their OWN databases and remove all copyright infringing files. Again, no big deal.

I think there will be lots of content makers who will create original works...because it is a HOBBY, not a business. And for a hobby, the only incentive is to create, and have others give you positive strokes for your creation. That is how I operate....I make stuff because it makes my game more fun, and I like to hear people say nice things about my creations. Not because of anything EA says or does. I have my fansite because it results in people giving me positive strokes.

And consider: MOST fansites exist to TALK about the game. Downloads are secondary. That is why there are so many forums, with new ones being made every day. I foresee an increase in forums, if anything.

So, no. Fansites will not go up in a puff of smoke, whatever EA does. That is just not human (or internet) nature.

That's where my thoughts were at MTS2 and Insim. Delphy and Kathy, plus the creators there have done so much for us all. Just picturing them having to go through all their downloads and having to remove anything that has any copyright. Which is a lot of clothing on both. Paintings, Wallpapers, bedding, etc...Kathy's already at her witts ends. That might push her over the edge to say screw it. No way would I want them hurt. I personally don't use a lot of forums. This is the only forum I belong too that doesn't have any downloads right on the forum/site. It may not be a big deal to us, well wouldn't be to me I don't have a website. But, Delphy and Kathy might see it a little different with all their downloads. We go to messing with Paysites, reporting everything they have on them that are copyrighten, they're going to push back. I don't want just a bunch of forums to post at. I like having downloads to snag.  :wink:

leilatigress
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #201 on: 2007 August 17, 15:41:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Technically Kathy would be safe.  Her copyright infringement is negligible simply because she personally is not receiving any money from it.  TSR on the other hand is.  Most artists have the standard my stuff don't steal without asking but many more have wizened up to the post with credit and don't earn money off it and I'm good.  It's the paysites we should hand over with all of their subway, mcdonalds, Bath & bodyworks stores.

f you have nothing witty to say it is better to be silent
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)
redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #202 on: 2007 August 17, 15:43:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just don't see companies doing more than issuing a Cease & Desist to free sites. If it comes to it, I would help go through free sites and flag copyright issues to the owner NOT EA.

TSR will have to do it for themselves. Can you imagine the headaches EA would bring itself by partnering with them? I think they'll figure out that its just not worth it.
Renegade
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Take a look at this!
« Reply #203 on: 2007 August 17, 15:48:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On this line of discussion: Could we/somebody/anybody please report ExnemSims for profiting off of Disney?  At least I think it's Disney.  Whatever Winnie the Pooh falls under.  But there are others, too.

Either way, they're SELLING the copyrighted character, in its exact representation, as a toy for the Sims.  You can only access it if you're a subscriber.  Meanwhile, they state on their front page: "All of the content at this site is completely original and of TOP QUALITY"

So why do they need to SELL Sim versions of copyrighted things like Spongebob, Winnie the Pooh, Shrek, Spiderman, Loony Toons, etc, etc.

I'm fairly certain that this IS illegal, since they're profiting off of it.  For the longest time, Eeyore/Igor/whatever was on the front page of their site, shown under the subscriber section.

HawkGirl
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #204 on: 2007 August 17, 16:47:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "redisenchanted"
I just don't see companies doing more than issuing a Cease & Desist to free sites. If it comes to it, I would help go through free sites and flag copyright issues to the owner NOT EA.

TSR will have to do it for themselves. Can you imagine the headaches EA would bring itself by partnering with them? I think they'll figure out that its just not worth it.

I have no sympathy at all for EA, they did this to themselves. Sat back and did nothing for how long? Now that there is an awareness and the community is really at odds...They're running around going what do we do, what do we do? They should have nipped it in the butt when it first started, instead of turning their heads and going it's just one or two sites no harm. They allowed it to get out of control. And to me that's exactly what they did if you look at the dates on all the times this has been reported to them. I'm with Sherry I think EA is just going to let it continue like it has till Sims 3 comes out, unless it effects sales further.

alliecat
Landlubber

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #205 on: 2007 August 17, 17:00:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "RenegadeSims"
On this line of discussion: Could we/somebody/anybody please report ExnemSims for profiting off of Disney?  At least I think it's Disney.  Whatever Winnie the Pooh falls under.  But there are others, too.

Either way, they're SELLING the copyrighted character, in its exact representation, as a toy for the Sims.  You can only access it if you're a subscriber.  Meanwhile, they state on their front page: "All of the content at this site is completely original and of TOP QUALITY"

So why do they need to SELL Sim versions of copyrighted things like Spongebob, Winnie the Pooh, Shrek, Spiderman, Loony Toons, etc, etc.

I'm fairly certain that this IS illegal, since they're profiting off of it.  For the longest time, Eeyore/Igor/whatever was on the front page of their site, shown under the subscriber section.

Wow, I'm surprised Disney hasn't done something about it already. They are notorious for taking down anyone even thinking about infringing on their copyrights. They are most concerned about Mickey Mouse stuff though.

On a different note, I was talking to a friend about the whole paysite issue, because he's in law school studying to be an entertainment lawyer. He said that perhaps one of the reasons EA isn't doing anything is because they might lose. He referred me to a case in the 90s where Nintendo sued Game Genie for copyright infringement. Game Genie had created a device that plugged into Nintendo's gaming system and allowed users to enter multiple cheat codes and otherwise alter the game. This device had been reverse engineered directly from Nintendo's code, and was reliant on the Nintendo system to work at all. Nintendo lost. Twice. Game Genie went on to make a ton of money.

Just for the record, I think paysites are morally reprehensible, and I hope they are all destroyed. And I'm not sure if this case is actually relevant. But I thought I'd throw it out there, and see what others thought.
SparklePlenty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Take a look at this!
« Reply #206 on: 2007 August 17, 18:00:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pardon me if someone has already posted this.

http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?threadID=6134fe0a997bb1d12255fce7195a7cbd&directoryID=2&startRow=1&openItemID=item.2,item.61,item.104,item.41,item.127,item.23#6f4e9dbfcebd6df26b64b9a71d301072

Basically, they are saying...hey! The EULA on the Content browser is the one you should refer to, and if you have a beef with it, see a lawyer. Now, I hope that applies to everyone. EA does indeed intend to distance themselves from the whole issue.

Still watching you guys
HawkGirl
ARR!

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #207 on: 2007 August 17, 18:34:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "SparklePlenty"
Pardon me if someone has already posted this.

http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?threadID=6134fe0a997bb1d12255fce7195a7cbd&directoryID=2&startRow=1&openItemID=item.2,item.61,item.104,item.41,item.127,item.23#6f4e9dbfcebd6df26b64b9a71d301072

Basically, they are saying...hey! The EULA on the Content browser is the one you should refer to, and if you have a beef with it, see a lawyer. Now, I hope that applies to everyone. EA does indeed intend to distance themselves from the whole issue.

Ok someone else gets to call legal this time. I'm not doing it again. That's completely different then what they just told me two days ago that the content manager was that way because you couldn't create CC with it. There was no changes being made to the games EULA. Now she's saying there is.  If what she's saying is true EA is changing their minds more than I change my underpants and I change them everyday. lol

Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
Take a look at this!
« Reply #208 on: 2007 August 17, 19:03:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same here, but it seems EA changes theirs every time Thomass at TSR craps his pants when he doesn't like something they do at EA games, which must be every hour on the hour...

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
SparklePlenty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Take a look at this!
« Reply #209 on: 2007 August 17, 19:17:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got an email response to my question from Spada in Customer Service THIS MORNING which said to go by the actual EULA that is in the game or tool that I have.

Still watching you guys
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: